side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

I know there are a couple photos somewhere in the past but can some of you show me your setup and swing regarding anchoring?

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

Played another round with the GP putter today.

Really like some things about it, but kind of dislike other things about it. For one, coming from the F22, the GP feels like garbage in all honesty. Thing I like the most about the GP is the weight and the putter head size.

So I got to thinking, if I like the lighter head of the GP, and the F22 has some weights in it, what if I just take out a few of the weights to try it out? So thats what I did.

The F22 is 465g for the side saddle, with each of the weights weighing in at roughly 30g, so I removed the right and left weights closest to the face (thinking the weight low and back increases the MOI so leave those weights in) and I actually REALLY like it, it changes the feel of the putter a lot, and to me, honestly in a good way. Will practice with this some this week and give it a try next weekend assuming the course doesn't get totally shut down. If I like it I might fill the holes in with epoxy or something just so I don't have empty spots in the putter head.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

I'm dangerous when I have a lot of down time....

I'm thinking of replacing the shaft of one of my F22's with a "stability" shaft from Breakthrough Golf to see how it feels and works.

I've already traded a few emails with those folks and they say the Bobby Grace "kick ass" shaft design won't be a problem.

I've read a lot of good reviews of this shaft.

And this testing by TXG seems to add some hard data to this thought that this shaft can truly help someone's putting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIuUHrnUDiUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siyZ4Md45CU

And given that I'm very blessed financially - the $200 cost isn't an obstacle for me. Especially when I think about the cost of the shaft I put in my driver which at best I only use 14x a round (vs the 28+ for my putter!)

Any SS folks have any experience with these stability shafts?

I really wish we could get Bobby Grace in here and let him take all the feedback from all the side saddle users and let us design a perfect side saddle putter :).

I haven't searched a ton, but this has to be one of the most comprehensive and expansive discussions on side saddles around.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

My bud has had Several (so many that he gets a discount!) of his regular putters done at their shop here in Dallas...I tried his and they rolled it nice and tight but I didn't try his putters before he had them done..

I would think the Stability (they have a new tour model now) would make an even Bigger difference in a long shaft

You'd think he should be able to make a head that can be adjusted between 400-500g+ depending on weights (or lack there of, just give us like plastic hole fillers).

I was very surprised how much more I liked having the putter head lighter. But it could also be that my course is setting the holes 1" above the ground and we're playing by "corona rules". So we play if you hit the cup in any way it counts, so I've seen a hole out from the fairway and several chip ins so far, as well as several very low rounds, lol.

If anything, I think its a testament to how we just need to work on hitting a 10ft putt 3ft past the hole, and hitting our 3ft putts 2ft past the hole. More physiological than anything else probably, but the lighter putter does help me hit the putts more

I’ve finally come to grips that I’m a terrible putter. The 17 putters in my garage is testament to that realization. Last week I broke down and bought a broomstick putter and made a few home adjustments to putt side saddle with it. Starting out it wasn’t great. I would either scrape the ground on the way back and forward, or I’d hit the top of the ball. But when struck well, the roll was great and I would make most of them. I was about to shed the thought of Ss putting but last night I realized I was tilting the putter back causing both of my issues. After that I was really rolling it well. I need a few more hours of practice but maybe I’m on to something. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks all in advance.

One of the best tips for starting, think of "anchoring" that top hand and NEVER let it move, not actually anchoring, but hold it very still. That should create a fulcrum point and then just let the putter swing.

• Like 1

The issue of the putter "scraping the ground" in either direction FOR ME has happened when I've tried to use a long putter as a face on putter; I suspect that it's because of more loft, because I've done the same thing you did to deal with it, which was to lean the putter forward at address to deloft it. The two that I've tried that were notable in this regard were a Scotty Cameron Kombi and an STX with the bowtie/bullet head. (STX made a version of that head specifically to be used face on, but I haven't ever been able to find one.)

I probably won't do a good job explaining this, and others who know more about clubs can maybe add to this, but TO ME, it seems like the difference between the degrees of bounce that you want on a wedge vs. a longer iron. Putters with more loft are designed to be swung a particular way to keep the hands out in front, but with face on, your hands are already out front. If you have a putter designed one way and an address and stroke that work a different way, that's trouble. I loved the look of the STX putter that I have, and the design of that head makes it possible to hold it almost vertically. But I just couldn't avoid several "scrapes" a round, and it would be in my head on EVERY stroke. In the long run, I didn't feel that altering my address position to compensate was a good idea; one of the main advantages of face on is that you are in a completely natural and very relaxed position, and anything that detracts from that probably isn't good.

The length and weight of a face on putter are personal preferences. But I don't know of any of the putters that are specifically designed to be used for face on that have more than a degree or two of loft; the only other "sacred" design characteristic of a face on putter is the 80* lie angle. I think some of the broomstick putters ARE low lofted; the old Ping "hot dog" style is one, I believe. But most are going to have more loft than that.

• Like 1

Makes sense. I’m using an old teardrop putter but I have modified it some. 46 inches, 80* lie angle, but I’ve milled the tear drop face off and made it flat like a regular putter. I prob won’t stick with it because I don’t think it’s for me. The prob is, I can hit 9 putts just like I want to from say 15 ft, but then scrape the ground or hit the top of the ball and only hit it 5 ft. My line and speed are definitely better face on. I make more putts face on, but then that one putt shows up. I’d prob do it 2 to 4 times a round and I don’t 3 putt that much anyway.

Honestly, if you think there is merit to the style, I'd say the best thing you can do is get an actual side saddle putter.

I used a Cure RX3 for a few rounds when I first started (had the weight around 450g, lie angle maxed out) and it was enough for me to say 'there is merit to this' and then I just went all in and bought a new one. It sounds like some of the problems you could be having are driven by that or maybe just a set up thing.

B29VYQNPMOH8.jpegIf you’re thinking about trying it out I would recommend getting the two ball from edtheclubmaker on eBay. It’s a brand new putter. It’s cheap at around $150 it has an 80* lie angle but most importantly you can get an adjustable length shaft. 36”-52”

In my opinion the most important aspect of finding your face on swing is finding a length you prefer. I originally got 42” but I much prefer 48”

The main drawback on the design is having the shaft insert near the front of the face.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

Yes, I prefer being upright more as well. Seems more natural when facing the target. It does make it easier to knowingly or otherwise anchor your forearm to your belly though. I find to prevent anchoring forearm to belly I still have to lean forward a bit

If anyone decides to part ways with their F22, let me know. I’m in the market for 44-45”. Thanks!

Driver: PXG Black Ops 8 degree w/Ventus Black 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Scratch wedge 53 degree, Cleveland RTX Zip Core 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Odyssey Cruiser Jailbird
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX