2020 TaylorMade SIM and SIM Max drivers (in hand photos, M5/M6 comparison pics)

GolfWRX

I have no idea how they do their testing but if what you're saying is true, seems like a really strange way to do things unless you say I am doing a test to see what driver goes the farthest on the 10 best strikes out of however many I have to hit to come up with some good strikes...this is not to say there is not a lot can be learned from watching their videos.

If you're familiar with gcquad ballflight screens then you'll know there's a "shot" number counter for each session. You have to watch each shot hit and log the number of the shot they kept then count how many were thrown out to get your denominator.

I assumed that the first shot kept as they switched from 1 driver to the other was the first quality strike so I didn'tcount any shots until the first kept shot. For example, if the last shot with the sim was shot 17 and the first shot kept with the mavrik was shot 19 then I didn't penalize the mavrik for shot 18.

Having done sessions like that myself, I know that when swapping from 1 driver to the next there's a feel difference that can take a shot or two to get acclimated.

To take this to an extreme so as to make a point: If we had the biggest 5 manufacturers of drivers to test from, I could make any 5 win and any 5 lose regardless of how well one fit (or didn't fit) the player if I could have an unlimited amount of hits with any one driver compared to just 5 hits of any of the remaining drivers (irrespective of the criteria).

TXG has practically thrown dispersion/control out the window. If you're a player that doesn't value tight dispersion/control, then you can somewhat rely on TXG's results for your 2020 driver purchase (if you're not getting fit yourself). If dispersion/control is a major factor in your driver purchasing needs/wants/desires, then TXG's results are completely unreliable. I think this is the bottom line here for WRX community.

They definitely do "something" with the launch monitors. Whether it's someone other than matt hitting or not there's something else going on. In the g410ls vs sim max test the sim max shot numbers were all in the 50s while the g410 shots were all in the 20s and 30s, iirc.

The other videos are fairly close in total shot count to the final shot number.

I wonder how much they understand that those videos do influence buying decisions. Their videos are there to make them $ though and that's likely their focus...hit bombs.

A lot of the comparison videos do that tho. My biggest gripe last year was how reviewers were dumping bad strikes (not just txg). That makes ZERO sense given that COR is maxed and manufacturers are focused on ballspeed retention across the face and forgiveness. We need to see how bad the bad strikes were.

One could reasonably assume that if matt is hitting terrible strikes on half the other drives that SIM just reduces the bad of the bad sim strikes....

This is also the 2nd year of txg doing this. Last year they were arbitrary in the "who won" until the final when a viewer suggested the formula they're using. I just think they should do one of 2 things...

1. Limit the number of drives to either 10 straight or no more than 15

2. Reduce the yard tally by 5 yards for every 5% drop in keep%

So for #2, if it took 20 drives to get 10 good ones then the yard total is reduced by 50 yards to account for the crappyness of the driver combo.

In theory there is more to be gained regarding distance, right? Meaning, until we achieve a launch of 17-18 with 1700-1800 spin, we have not yet found the holy grail. I think the "intertia generator" is a move in the right direction because my launch went up while maintaining low spin and most importantly control with the SIM. As far as control/forgiveness, it is the focus now so it cannot be dismissed or discounted for someone looking to lower their scores! Lastly, I think you're right about limiting the number of strikes for each driver to make it more fair and real world. I also want to say, I am not in anyway bashing the TXG guys, I am a loyal subscriber to their channel and have watched almost all of their videos. They are great guys and very knowledgeable! I just don't agree with all their testing methods. Nothing more.

If it's true that some drivers need many more shots to get the numbers they "wanted" then to me that's not a winner.

If I can get up and swing and keep it in the fairway more often and distance is close. That's my winner for sure. They should say up front , maybe they did I didn't watch any, how many shots were needed or used for each to achieve the data.

I mostly enjoy their videos by the way.

The TXG videos are great but it's purely a test for Matt and only him. SIM is the best driver for me this year but I could easily game any of the top manufacturers drivers and my scores would be the same.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

SIM 9.0 update.....

Played in a dogfight last night in sloppy wet conditions and I'm still thinking this driver might be as long, if not longer than my old SLDR! I'm flying this driver into places I used to only be able to reach in the summer, typically with a little bit of roll. My M5 was seriously 15-20 yards shorter than my new SIM. I think the M5 had me thinking I was getting old, losing distance and afraid to attack some of the holes on my home course. This SIM is a little more "loose" right now (I can miss both ways), but its definitely more powerful. I can't wait to see what this thing can do in the summer.

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

Swapping out the ventus blue 6x w/ velo. Going to put in the pro 2.0 to see if I can get better numbers. With the ventus at 10.5* I was launching it too high but the spin was decent. If I turn down the loft to 2 clicks down (9*) the launch is where I want to be at but the spin drops below 2k. So I think I'm gonna leave it at 9* put in the pro 2.0 and see if I can get the spin up. It may launch a lil higher with the pro 2.0 but that's okay cuz it should still be within my launch window.

I kinda agree with you here. They need to add in another metric for how many shots total it took them to get to the 10 they're using/showing in the video to deduct points off the overall score. If they did that then I think you would get a true "best driver" for Matt's swing.

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

This is what this forum is all about. We should question everything so we improve from all perspectives! We questioned their methods and they listened and will hopefully tighten up their process so more folks can rely on their testing results in making their own buying decisions. Obviously we all need to get fit ourselves but if we cannot glean much from their testing because of flawed methods then its really a waste of time for everybody.

• Like 1

SIM Max is a bomber! It is so much more forgiving than the M3 I’ve been playing. The regular sim and I did not get along. The Max is looking like it will be in the bag to stay. After a few more rounds like I had today, it will be in there! Now we all know that can go to crap in the blink of an eye ?

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

I hate it for anyone that can’t get out this time of year? I am very lucky they haven’t closed any courses close to me here in NC. I really don’t see why golf would need to stop. Just make us all walk. It would do us all some good!?

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

Totally agree.

Most of the county maintained courses in Colorado are closed but there are a few semi-private that are still open. Call on arrival to pay, hit the range and wait for the call over the loudspeaker. I've played twice in the past 2 weeks and didn't touch anyone or anything walking the course.

Finally popped on a SIM head. 9 deg standard. Should be here Saturday and I have a time set for 1:48P. I'll be the guy stalking the mail truck around the hood all morning

I have to say that the Max D is really good. Never would play a draw driver and tried it on whim. Last round I hit 10-14 fairways and only missed a couple by a few yards. It’s long and straight. Playing it at 44.5” with a GD AD VR and it’s gooood!!

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

IIRC, 6-9% higher launch, 6-9% lower spin and 10+% higher ballspeed according to Taylormade's chat session in the forums. My Sim Max is in the mail. If so, it will go down as the best TM driver of all time. I am very skeptical, to say the least.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2