2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ozarks National Golf Club

tgard227

I’ve been on a golf trip to Branson and I’d like to go back, but these prices are stupid. $135 for a nine hole par 3 course? I wonder if there are enough big spenders in the Midwest to support this resort long term.

They want $350 for the Dye course at French Lick and it gets almost no play. The owners of French Lick are apparently willing to lose money but I’m not sure they’re willing to lose money long term at Big Cedar. The rest of Branson is not a high end destination.

Maybe line item approach with this one?

I'm not sure if this is the land that Murder Rock was on but this is a Coore and Crenshaw design so there shouldn't be any cross over. I only played Murder Rock once and, while I wasn't overly thrilled with the design, the land was beautiful.

As far as losing money goes, I think John Morris has a few coins to lose if that result occurs with this venture. I agree that the price on the par three course is ridiculous but the price for this new course is pretty much in line with other midwest top line resort courses(Sand Valley and Arcadia) while still being under the very top of the market(Whistling Straits and Karsten Creek). I have no clue about French Licks business model or how often they fill the tee sheets but it seems that the thinking may be that Tiger Woods' public course is going to be the main draw? I really don't know because I wasn't thinking this was going to turn into a feasibility study regarding Branson's ability to garner and maintain a higher echelon clientele.

Honestly, I have no clue about whose duty it is to grow the game of golf. Maybe the First Tee and the USGA? I highly doubt too many courses value growing the game of golf over their profit margins and it seems a bit disingenuous to lay that responsibility at the feet of this course.

So, back to the original question: Is anyone else thinking about playing this course?

I played Buffalo Ridge this summer, as an outing with my nephew. (Part of the Big Cedar complex) Pricey but gorgeous. We saw the Tiger course in progress as well as this one.

Yes, would definitely play it if there for a couple of days. Evening replay rates are reasonable. These might be Bandon rates, but for those of us stuck in the Midwest, worth it.

And plenty of tourists coughing up cash in Branson, they will be just fine.

I have not played Ozark National yet, but drove around the course last summer. It’s a stunning course with amazing views, looks more difficult than Buffalo Ridge. The Gary Player designed Mountain Top course is a real gem, gorgeous views and immaculate turf.........I prefer it over Top of the Rock. Big Cedar has an incredible golf destination!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

> @tgard227 said:

> I'm going down in July so it looks like you'll beat me by a couple of months. I bet it is soaking wet though with all of the rain we've had.

unfortunately you're right. i actually cancelled my tee time for saturday at Ozarks National, and my Sunday round at mountain top. don't want to be locked in to anything given the soggy conditions. if i do get out, i'll be sure to post a recap.

My brother and I were down there last week on an annual golf/fishing trip and had planned to play Ozarks National on Wednesday or Thursday but heavy rains Tuesday evening forced us to cancel our plans. $200 is bad enough but we weren't going to pay that to play cart path only (although knowing Johnny's history it might well be cart path only for the entire first season regardless - just haven't called to check yet). My wife and I are heading back down there a week from Saturday and if conditions are favorable plan on heading over there.

We've been playing Buffalo Ridge (formerly Branson Creek) and Branson Hills (formerly Payne Stewart) since they only had nine holes open and know the area pretty well. We've played Top of the Rock once (got a pretty good combo deal to play both Rock and Buffalo Ridge the same day) and have played Montain Top three times so far. While Top of the Rock is spectacular we actually enjoy Montain Top more and, at less than half the price for four more holes is sort of a no brainer for us.

Up until last year Buffalo Ridge was available for around $80 depending on time of day and day of week but just ain't worth the current $135 every day. Fun and scenic golf course but we won't be back unless we can somehow obtain a better deal. We played Branson Hills a week ago Monday and it was $100 for golf, cart and a bag of balls at 1:00 pm so it ain't exactly cheap either but is still a fantastic golf course and always in great condition. It's also much more difficult than Buffalo Ridge. Not unfair - just difficult.

Ledgestone is another "upper level" area course that we've played many times although not for a couple of years now. It's gone back and forth between private and public but is currently open to the public at about the same price point as Branson Hills. My wife likes it a lot but I'm just sort of so so about it. Some really good holes but a bunch of other, "where the heck do I hit it here?" holes as well as lots of "what you might otherwise think are good shots that ended up in trouble holes".

We've only seen Ozarks National in photos and videos as very little is visible from the road or Mountain Top but I don't doubt that it is also spectacular. We've been watching the construction of the Tiger Woods course (on the old Murder Rock property but that's where the similarity ends) since it was actually being designed and built by Johnny Morris and one of Jack Nicklaus' sons before Tiger got involved. It looks pretty amazing too but I'm sure will be priced equally or above Ozarks National. Another one timer for us perhaps but we're just not willing to pay $75 to $100 more for golf down there than we do in Palm Springs in peak season. For our money we like to make the 30 minute drive up to Springfield and play Rivercut - a city owned golf course that's a lot of fun to play, usually in pretty good shape and costs us $40 for golf and cart.

If my wife and I do indeed manage to play Ozarks in a couple of weeks I'll be sure and report back.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I played BS, MT, and ON last November. Simply wonderful. Review and pics here:

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Jumping in here to see if any locals know when the conditions turn from Spring time conditions to more consistent playing conditions for the courses in the area. Hoping to head down sooner rather than later with the current state of airfare prices! ;) Ozark National and Payne's Valley preview are top of my groups bucket list for 2020.

• 3 weeks later...

I've played Buffalo Ridge a few times and I got to play Ozark National last fall. I think in time Ozark will be right up there, but it didn't seem worth the $200 I had to pay. They are both great courses, but even the guy I got paired up with who works at Top of the Rock said it was over priced. It will be interesting to see the pricing structure once Payne's Valley opens up. I'm hoping to play at least 2 of the 3 this fall again.

Stealth 2 9* w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM 3 wood w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

• 3 months later...

Ozarks National is amazing, played it last week. It's pricey, but in fantastic condition. It was worth the $195 green fee, if you do a replay or a combo deal with one of the other courses up there It's reasonable. We played Ozarks in the morning and Buffalo Ridge in the afternoon, it was like $73 instead of $135, because we did a combo deal on the same day. There aren't too many courses I will happily spend $200+ to play, but this certainly qualifies as one of them. The new Tiger Woods course is close to finished, 13 holes are open now. It looks fantastic as well, but will set you back $225 when it's finished. I have a feeling it will be worth it...

thanks for the update. I have to go down to that area in a few weeks and was hoping Tigers course was fully open. Still Ozarks National will be a great one to try again.

Stealth 2 9* w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM 3 wood w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X