2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Project X vs X100 or X7

edepaula07

I have a bit of a shaft dilemma. I currently play P7TWs with X100s at +1" length. 6 iron SS is ~106mph and driver 122-125mph. I have a pretty steep AOA being taller and have played PX 6.5 in Mizuno MP-18s in the past but I've found the flight to be a bit unplayable at times. This is why the switch to X100s to try and keep the flight down. I know iron head design plays a big role here but both of these blades have pretty comparable VCOG with the TWs being marginally higher. I have also tried putting 7.0s in my TWs because I was starting to have elbow issues with the X100s and knew I didn't have any problems with this with PX in the past playing just as much. I ended up switching back to the X100s because I didn't like the higher flight of the 7.0s and quite frankly they just felt like crap. Especially paired with the firmer feel of the TW club head.

My question is - do I look at getting prosoft or sensicore inserts for the X100s and call it a day or look to something like X7 that is stiffer but maybe won't give me the same elbow issues or go back to 6.5s which I know don't give me elbow issues? The other consideration here is SW and obviously playing at 1" over it can start to get a little crazy. The shortest I can feel comfortable with is 3/4" over.

I know these types of threads have been overdone so many times but I went through trying to read as much as possible on previous threads and couldn't find this type of scenario. Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks.

Graphite shafts, grip change, theraputty three times a day :) I wouldn’t mess with steel half measures, nip it all the way and swing farther because of it. FWIW, I use x7 with cords, but use 110g graphite blades with soft grips on a lot of practice days, or when I’m tired or wrists hurt

• Like 1

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I always found project x to fly lower for me than X100’s. I’m currently playing modus 120 TX and find the shaft to be smooth like a x100 but give me the lower flight I desire.

for reference my 7 iron ss is 95-97.

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

I've done a lot of testing with all 3 of those shafts (PX 6.5 not 7.0) in the past year as well as C-taper 130x, another good option to lower launch and spin. My 6 iron ss ranges 96-99 mph and I've struggled with ballooning the ball and high spin. X100s I found to spin the most out of any of these even though they launched lower so I lost a ton of distance because of high spin. PX 6.5s still launch high for me but I like the feel unlike most and they do a good job cutting spin to reasonable numbers for me. X7 is definitely the lowest launching and spin shaft followed by C-taper 130x. X7 seems like it would be a great option for you to at least test out with your numbers and steep angle of attack as these will definitely bring the ball flight and spin down. Would recommend seeing if you can get a test iron and try out X7 followed by C-taper 130x and just see which one fits you best. Just a side note but I doubt any of the elbow issues are caused from any particular shaft, the issues are more likely to come from being steep/taking big divots causing issues with the elbows from the ground impact.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

I don't think it's a weight issue. If anything I like having a heavier SW because I feel like it helps to slow me down and I can feel where the club is better. This might sound crazy but I actually think the elbow issues are because the X100s are not stiff enough (for me) in certain sections of the shaft and so I'm getting more vibrations at impact translating into my arms. When I played 6.5s in the past I never experienced elbow issues and even the recent change to 7.0s in my current irons my elbow issues started to go away. So there's something there in terms of the PX being stiffer throughout the entire shaft (especially in the middle and butt sections). I just didn't care for the feel (or lack thereof) of the 7.0s and the 6.5s I can tend to balloon a bit.

I think they can both end up flying with similar peak heights but just get there in different ways. I've always found the PX to initially launch a bit higher and then flatten out whereas x100s definitely start out lower and can kick up. The difference being if you want to knock something down or try to flight it I find it much easier with DG. Just my own personal findings though. Have never tried modus 120 TX but from what I've heard/read it seems like it's a very unique profile.

I play the PX7.0's and found them to spin a lot less than X100. The X7 is more in line with the 7.0's. Also, I found the X7 to be more harsh feeling. X100 is very different from these two shafts, and I am not sure there really is any other shaft on the market that compares equally to these two, which I find to be quite nice.

For me, I know I need spin reduction so I stick with PX7.0. However, if my swing starts to dictate more spin needed, I would not even blink and choose X7. Thankfully, for those of us that can handle these shafts, its nice to have two choices, keeping it simple.

If your arms really hurt, you might was to look to the MMT 125TX. I don't think graphite iron tech is there quite yet, but maybe this would serve as a decent option for you.

Thanks for your input. I tried C-taper 130x in fittings in the past and didn't really care for it. It just felt a little more dead to me compared to PX but that's just me. I have enjoyed playing 6.5s in the past and I like you do quite like the feel of them but have found I can still balloon them a bit and if I'm playing in any sort of decent wind it's a struggle to say the least. I have worked super hard to try and shallow out my angle of attack as I realize this is most likely the root of a lot of my problems I mentioned in the beginning but even with some improvement on this front I still struggle with the same issues from time to time. I think just by the nature of being 6'4" and having some decent speed I think this will probably always be the case and I will always naturally be a little steep. This is why I usually try to play golf swinging at what feels like 80-85% all the time as usually it correlates to my best scores but man it's hard sometimes to slow yourself down!

Glad you can relate! Haha it's a unique struggle for sure. I think because c-tapers have a high balance point like PX you can definitely feel most of the weight near the handle of those shafts and lose the feeling of head if there's not enough weight down by the club head. I've definitely felt this before when I was playing PX which is one of the reasons I wanted to try to x100s. With the lower balance point it feels like it makes me want to swing slower (which is a good thing for me) and you can feel where that club head is a bit more.

Swingweight and shaft weight are not the same (you probably know this); I found that the lighter weight shaft with same swing weight feels similar in terms of where the clubhead is...but the overall heavier shaft club did help me with tempo. I have a DG105 X100 in my 3i and swingweight is D2 and I love it (all my other irons are also around D2 but with a much heavier DG S300 shaft).

• 3 years later...
On 4/6/2020 at 1:05 PM, edepaula07 said:

Glad you can relate! Haha it's a unique struggle for sure. I think because c-tapers have a high balance point like PX you can definitely feel most of the weight near the handle of those shafts and lose the feeling of head if there's not enough weight down by the club head. I've definitely felt this before when I was playing PX which is one of the reasons I wanted to try to x100s. With the lower balance point it feels like it makes me want to swing slower (which is a good thing for me) and you can feel where that club head is a bit more.

Updates on this?  What did you end up playing and why?

On 4/6/2020 at 11:34 AM, DFS PFD said:

X7 or Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Exactly what I was going to say. At 1" long the X7 is gonna feel plush. I have MMT 125TX hard-stepped once in my 3i, and it feels soft. I would consider multiple HS if you do the MMTs at +1".

Taylormade R7 Quad TP 8.5* w/ Aldila Rogue SIlver 125msi 70TX

Titleist 915Fd 13.5* w/ ACCRA FX 470 M5+

Titleist TS2 17* hybrid w/ Aldila VS Proto 'ByYou' 95X

Titleist U500 20° w/ MMT 125 TX (HSx1)

Cobra King Forged MB 4i-Pw w/ KBS C-Taper 130X

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 52/58 mid w/ Rifle Spinner 7.0
Bell 2Way Blade w/ Rifle 7.0 HSx5 + Flatcat Tak Svelte

On 4/5/2020 at 5:27 PM, edepaula07 said:

I have a bit of a shaft dilemma. I currently play P7TWs with X100s at +1" length. 6 iron SS is ~106mph and driver 122-125mph. I have a pretty steep AOA being taller and have played PX 6.5 in Mizuno MP-18s in the past but I've found the flight to be a bit unplayable at times. This is why the switch to X100s to try and keep the flight down. I know iron head design plays a big role here but both of these blades have pretty comparable VCOG with the TWs being marginally higher. I have also tried putting 7.0s in my TWs because I was starting to have elbow issues with the X100s and knew I didn't have any problems with this with PX in the past playing just as much. I ended up switching back to the X100s because I didn't like the higher flight of the 7.0s and quite frankly they just felt like crap. Especially paired with the firmer feel of the TW club head.

My question is - do I look at getting prosoft or sensicore inserts for the X100s and call it a day or look to something like X7 that is stiffer but maybe won't give me the same elbow issues or go back to 6.5s which I know don't give me elbow issues? The other consideration here is SW and obviously playing at 1" over it can start to get a little crazy. The shortest I can feel comfortable with is 3/4" over.

I know these types of threads have been overdone so many times but I went through trying to read as much as possible on previous threads and couldn't find this type of scenario. Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks.

I didn't realize this was a 3 year old thread.  I was going to recommend the LA Golf graphite line; maybe the L-series in 5-flex, maybe the Brysons if that's not stiff enough.  The LAs are supposed to swingweight very light, but you're going +1"; they're supposed to be low launching, which is what you want; and hopefully being graphite, your elbow pain will go away.

I've not been impressed by sensicore, but I'm glad they help some of you.

On 4/6/2020 at 10:34 AM, DFS PFD said:

X7 or Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

The MMT125TX are not automatically a great option for the high ball flight issue, but will feel better.  You may need to further hard step them to get them a bit stiffer than stock even to bring the flight down.  Mine are soft stepped 1 time and I'm about the same ball flight I was with Nippon 1150gh stiff shafts (with none of the nasty steel vibration negatives) and plenty of spin on the greens.

• Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to -1 / N
  • Titleist 917F3 3W (13.5°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X stiff shaft - D1 setting
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - A1 setting
  • Taylormade P7MC (2020) Irons - 4-9 (Standard L/L) with Tour Issue X100 Shafts at +1/2"
  • Taylormade MG4 48.09SB TI X100 and 52.09SB / 56.12SB / 60.07LBV wedges with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts
  • Lamkin ST Hybrid grips on all wedges / woods (midsize) / Irons are a TBD (came w/ Standard Tour Velvets)
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Maxfli Tour (both white and yellow)

Amazing how often someone posts a question, people respond, and we never hear back as to the final result. 

@CTG77I played stock MMT 125S and 125TX in my 620 MBs.  Never had an issue flighting the ball with either flex, though.  Those shafts are maybe my favorites,  only the weight costs me a few yards.  I now play their younger brothers. 🙂  Even have MMT 125TX 8i shafts in 2 Vokey wedges too. 

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I just happened to see someone had responded and answered up while eating some lunch without noticing the dates.  

I went and put the 125TX shafts all the way down to my SM9 60M.08 wedge.  I might come back and pull everything and rebuild the Mizunos w/ the original shafts from Club Champion (Nippon 1150gh stiff) and buy myself some used P7MCs for next year with X100 Tour Issue shafts, but we'll see whether I feel like messing with that or if the Mizunos stay in the bag.

• Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to -1 / N
  • Titleist 917F3 3W (13.5°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X stiff shaft - D1 setting
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - A1 setting
  • Taylormade P7MC (2020) Irons - 4-9 (Standard L/L) with Tour Issue X100 Shafts at +1/2"
  • Taylormade MG4 48.09SB TI X100 and 52.09SB / 56.12SB / 60.07LBV wedges with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts
  • Lamkin ST Hybrid grips on all wedges / woods (midsize) / Irons are a TBD (came w/ Standard Tour Velvets)
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Maxfli Tour (both white and yellow)