Random Bandon Thread

Comments

• duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9904WRX Points: 1,142Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,904 Titanium Tees

^Maybe they will stagger their closure updates to try and stop folks from flooding the reservations line? And also to maybe have a steady cadence of refunds going out, instead of a huge lump at once?

Obviously I have no clue, just from an operational POV it would flatten their own curve, so to speak.

I will say - apart from the courses themselves - the one top notch constant at Bandon for me over the years is the reservation ladies. They've always been awesome and now I'm sure they are really busy and they're just as polite and professional as ever.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jrg75jrg75 Members  67WRX Points: 88Posts: 67 Bunkers

Complete agreement on the reservation agents, always so helpful and polite. I spoke to them twice this week after the April disappointment and was able to get a reservation for August with preferred room in the lodge and 6 rounds, they really can work wonders.

I've always gone in March-May, anything I should be aware of or make special preps for in August? Kind of excited for a late summer trip but am wondering if my normal cold/wet weather Bandon gear I've accumulated the past 5 years is unnecessary.

Posted:
  • mallratmallrat Members  3280WRX Points: 436Posts: 3,280 Titanium Tees

Winds should be from the complete opposite direction and most likely will be a little steadier and stronger. BUT you should be in shorts and shirts.

Posted:
  • HardrainHardrain Members  88WRX Points: 32Posts: 88 Fairways

Anyone know how they are enforcing the cancellation policy? We are due to arrive on April 29 and they normally have a 30 day cancellation requirement. We still want to go but obviously there is a lot of uncertainty right now. Are they relaxing the cancellation policy? We hope to make a final decision on the trip in Mid-April.

Posted:
  • Edaw68Edaw68 Members  1634WRX Points: 262Handicap: 5Posts: 1,634 Platinum Tees

Call and ask, but it sounds like they've been waiving the cancellation window.

Posted:
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 ARIZONAMembers  3308WRX Points: 405Posts: 3,308 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • buzlinbuzlin NorCalMembers  1064WRX Points: 189Handicap: MentalPosts: 1,064 Platinum Tees

This is what I received when I asked about the cancellation policy.

Dear Mr. Lin,

Thank you for your email. The health and safety of our guests is very important to us. We are re-assessing the COVID-19 situation on a daily basis and currently have a plan in place for all guests who are quickly approaching or have passed their cancellation deadline. 

For these guests there will be no cancellation penalty. We can rebook your reservation for a later date and we are booking through 2021. 2021 is filling up quickly so we encourage you to choose this option. If you are unable to rebook your reservation at this time, we can offer a full refund of your deposit.

If you are outside our standard cancellation policy, you can still cancel and receive a full refund of your deposit. It is too early for us to make a determination about reservations more than 30 days prior to arrival at this time but again, we will be re-assessing the situation daily.

Posted:
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
    T200, 5-gw, AMT Black stiff
    Vokey, SM6, 54S, 58M
    Never Compromise Portofino
  • HardrainHardrain Members  88WRX Points: 32Posts: 88 Fairways

Yes we got the same info. We are now within 30 days (first day of golf 4/30) and were told we can essentially cancel whenever and get deposit back. We are still hoping to go but who knows how things will look in a month.

Posted:
  • buzlinbuzlin NorCalMembers  1064WRX Points: 189Handicap: MentalPosts: 1,064 Platinum Tees

Just got the official GFYS email. Closed through April 30. Well, at least I won't have to fight the wife about going. On to February 2021!

Posted:
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
    Vokey, SM6, 54S, 58M

Man, this sucks. Even though I already cancelled my April 26-29 trip, I had this sliver of hope that things would change and I could somehow pull it off. Sucks to plan something for 9 months then have no control in the final 30 days.

Posted:
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9904WRX Points: 1,142Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,904 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • pdouble23pdouble23 Members, Paid BST  15WRX Points: 51Posts: 15 Bunkers

April 17-21, pushed back to April 2021.

We are looking on the bright side and have added Sheep Ranch to our new reservation.

Posted:
  • bellkenbellken Members  903WRX Points: 155Posts: 903 Golden Tee

In August, you could be in shorts and shirts, but, depending on where you will be coming from, it could feel quite a bit cooler than you might anticipate.

Posted:

Coming from Dallas, may need pants and a sweater but will be a nice break from the heat :)

Posted:
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers  1837WRX Points: 427Posts: 1,837 Platinum Tees

It's the Oregon Coast, so you may need more than a sweater.

There's a reason we don't call it 'the beach'...

Posted:
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"

In August, I've usually not needed more than quarter zip (and of course wind/rain gear) when I typically go in late April.

Posted:

Advertisement

Your headcover game is strong

Posted:
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
    Vokey, SM6, 54S, 58M

Very nice but Z745s (which I think I see) can make any bag look fantastic.... One of the best forged cavity backs in recent memory. I had a set that I stupidly sold a few years back and miss to this day.

Posted:
  • gambitgambit Members  4443WRX Points: 265Posts: 4,443 Titanium Tees

Nice Duffer...noticed the Corica headcover...what part of the Bay you in?

Posted:

SIM Max 10.5 / AD DI Black 6x

SIM 3/5 Woods / Tensei Pro Blue 70/80 TX

Tour Issue Adams Pro Mini 23 / AD DI 95x

Ping Blueprints 5-P / Steelfiber i110S

Ping Glide Forged 50-54-60 / Steelfiber i125S

Byron Morgan DH89

Titleist Linksmaster

@buzlin - Ha! That's from the vegan range - no cows were harmed for those synthetics. It was funny at Swinley the guy gave me a fiver off just because. I switched to an Anser in October from a #7, so I have no good putter covers, it lets the rest down.

@jrg75 - Yes sir. I have a couple pieces of leadtape on them, so that would be why they look a bit different. I put graphite shafts in them years ago because elbow and eff me, all I did was wreck the steel setup, so they've sat since then, until my last preCovid round and they defiitely feel a bit better but might need another strip

@gambit - Ya in the East Bay. That Linksoul/Travis Matthew shop thing didn't work out, so now they have plain 'ol covers that don't cost a shedload I picked one up.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SouthLandSouthLand Members  52WRX Points: 61Handicap: HighPosts: 52 Bunkers

Killer bag. Order that from the BD proshop?

Posted:
  • gambitgambit Members  4443WRX Points: 265Posts: 4,443 Titanium Tees

Cool...I'm in East Bay too. Any idea when Corica North opens back up? Super glad I got Bandon in just before the SiP.

Posted:

SIM Max 10.5 / AD DI Black 6x

SIM 3/5 Woods / Tensei Pro Blue 70/80 TX

Tour Issue Adams Pro Mini 23 / AD DI 95x

Ping Blueprints 5-P / Steelfiber i110S

Ping Glide Forged 50-54-60 / Steelfiber i125S

Byron Morgan DH89

Titleist Linksmaster

Duff, the Bandon covers for the answer style with the magnetic closure are sweet. same one that poppy, pasa, and many other courses use. they're awesome. thinking a sheep ranch cover is in your future.

No cows? so your time in Texas didn't sway you?

Posted:
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
    Vokey, SM6, 54S, 58M

Due to a bag thread on here I was wondering what the '18/'19 StaDrys were going for now (Of course I have the identical bag to what I just bought -debadging and logo aside) and stumbled upon this one on eBay. The fella based in Georgia did get it there as a custom order. Maybe he bought it for a trip or there, doesn't play in rain, and sold it. It's in great nick and likely doesn't have the 120ish rounds mine has on it :-) Total fluke timing, really just asking to be bought.

Ah man if I get a Bandon putter cover, then I'm looking like a tourist ;-) Funnily enough our canceled trip was to start tomorrow and I was going to get one of those covers when I was up there, before the bag purchase happened.

Reckon as they're a public/private partnership Alameda is going to have to tow the official line maybe even more so than others? I've given up guessing on reopens, when it happens it'll be a pleasant surprise!

Posted:
    Post edited by duffer987 on

Nice to see they started something for the caddies who are hurting right now. I know a lot of people probably got the email but thought I'd post the link to the GoFundMe.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/q33nw-bandon-caddie-relief-fund?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link-tip&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

Posted:

Advertisement
  • bragger84bragger84 Members  23WRX Points: 44Posts: 23 Bunkers

Wind comes from the other direction in the summer is the biggest change. If you've been going one time a year, its a bit shocking to suddenly be downwind on the traditional beast holes you are used to. I had been 5 times in the late fall, and suddenly having it come the other way, man it threw me off.

Clothing all depends on the day and person. I played in shorts and a polo (im Canadian), and we were paired with two guys from Phoenix who had enough layers to resemble the Michelin man.

By the time the wind dries everything out in the afternoon, it just goes forever there in the summer. A solid 10-20% more roll than offseason golf.

Fingers crossed you get to go, Ive got late June planned and im praying everyday.

Posted:
    EF SZ TD w/ AD VR 6X - 9°
    M2 (2016) w/ AD MT 8X - 15°
    818 H2 w/ Tensei Pro White X - 19°
    Apex MB Raw (4-PW) w/ S400 TI
    Vokey WW w/ S400 TI - 50°, 55°, 60°
    Spider X

Thanks, fingers crossed for your trip in June as well.

I was supposed to fly out this Saturday for a April 26 arrival so I'm definitely feeling the pain this week. I know I shouldn't be doing it but I've been watching course cameras and weather forecast and lamenting my cancellation as the conditions look fantastic.

Great advice on the wind, I've been lucky enough to play as early as mid March and as late as early June and experienced the wind from both prevailing directions. I'm guessing the winds shifts around April.

You are so right, courses can play completely different and it can throw you off if you're not ready. I remember my first trip in March and playing 4th at Old Mac in a 30 mph head wind thinking how in the world did they route a 480 yd par 4 directly into the prevailing wind. Took driver, 3 hybrid and full gap wedge to get near the green. Next time I played the wind was complete opposite, 30 mph tail wind and I realized the genius of the hole. Took driver, pitching wedge to get home. I personally love playing the Bandon courses in the wind (less than gale force), they have so much character as you fight the elements.

Posted:

Just because I'm bored, this is a random thread and I want to talk about Bandon, what's the consensus opinion on hardest three holes in North and South wind. My votes:

North Wind

Old Mac 12, Bandon 5, Trails 16

South Wind

Old Mac 4, Pacific 7, Pacific 4

Posted:

Advertisement

Definitely agree with Bandon 5 in a north wind. Both the tee shot and approach are tough no matter the wind. I think it's the only hole on the entire resort that I haven't made par. It's been one of my favorite from the beginning, but I think it's in my head now.

I think 11 at OM is tougher into the wind than 12 is downwind. Assuming I can reach the green, judging distance to that shallow green in tough. Tucked behind that bunker? Forget about it! hahaha

OM 4 is another beast, definitely. Pacific 7, always tough no matter what. Pacific 4, yeah, that green seems so narrow, any wind other than slightly helping off the right is a mind f....

Great list and great idea jrg!

Posted:
    G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
    Vokey, SM6, 54S, 58M

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.