2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway X-Forged 2009

They grow on you fast. Bad to the bone with the soft satin finish of this 1020 carbon forged by Japan Endo. The graphics are cool to. Black and metal look makes you want to suit up. I found out they are parallel tipped. They did it to keep consistency across the lines. I have hit them and they are very very very soft. Only had a few times at the range but they are front runners for the year to come. If you are looking for a forged head and dont want to play a blade than these are a must to demo.

--------------

Irons designed to provide an elite level of performance for highly skilled golfers.

After receiving feedback straight from Tour players, Callaway Golf designers decided to refine the X-Forged Irons. The end result is precision clubs that let elite players dissect the course. Forged from soft carbon steel, the clubhead has been redesigned with more bounce and camber and a tighter sole radius. The thin topline, narrow sole and short blade length allow for excellent workability. The Flighted CG Design produces strong trajectories and premium distance control while the new Progressive Dual Notch Weighting allows weight to be precisely positioned for optimized performance throughout the set.

Forged 1020 Carbon Steel Construction - Provides unmatched feel and performance, giving elite-level golfers incredibly soft, responsive feedback at impact. Tour-Inspired Head Styling - Additional bounce improves turf interaction and more camber provides greater versatility. The sole radius was tightened to add to the versatility under various playing conditions. The thin topline, narrow sole and shorter blade length combine to generate maximum workability and the White Chrome finish mutes glare.

Flighted CG Design - Provides the optimal trajectories, ball flight, and distance control that Tour players demand with seamless performance progression through the entire set.

Progressive Dual Notch Weighting - Placing weight on the top and bottom of the cavity allows for the Flighted CG Design. By progressively adjusting the notch weighting through the set, it strategically adds more weight to shorter irons and removes weight from longer irons to produce strong, penetrating trajectories.

More Pics and talk click link...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=213957

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I am on my second set of 07 x forged, so I know my irons. I went to Haggin Oaks in Sacramento and voila, they had the new x forged! I took out a 7 and 3 iron and compared them to my sticks. The are very nice but they are different especially with the notches on the topline. In turn this creates a different feel. As I love mine, the feel is more muted and definitely I can tell the sole weighting. The '09s have a more solid feel with good head weight distribution.

The top line on the '09s is thicker and the sole is different. The '09s are more rounded whereas the '07s have a more straight sole. I could not tell the "dig" factor because I was hitting on a mat. The head shape is different as well. The '09s have a taller face. Feel wise, mine have 5.5s and I demoed 6.0s so the feel on mine was softer, but this may be due to the softer shaft.

Of special note, I could really put the '09 3 iron out there. But this may be the stiffer shaft.

Bottom line, there is little to compare between the two and it's just like a good putter. What ever is easier on the eye works best for you.

BTW I'm a 5 handi.

Tinuke
913 d-3 980F (17)
J33B 3-P
Gearhart 52
T.P. Mills SS Softail wide flange mini
Hogan Special SI

If only there was a lefthanded golfer out there who had already thought of that............... Now that would be something....

I was recently told by a Mizuno staffer that the '09 X Forged irons are the best combo of feel, forgiveness, and workability that he's seen in a while, and he said that he's hit everything new that's on the market. I can't wait to give these a try. Really looking to compare the two and see if the "corrections" to the older model are worth the buzz.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got my new sticks this weekend. Had a chance to work with them at the range. I tried a couple different shaft options, the fitter shafted a couple different heads for me to give a go. I decided on X100 shafts, and I am glad that I did. These shafts have great feel, and lots of power. I was shocked how easy I could swing and get the distance and control I wanted. This set up has a really nice soft feel at impact, but the shafts are really stiff.

I tried the project X 6.5 and 7.0 shafts, and it is just a really different feel. It felt like I was swinging baseball bats, but after a couple large buckets of balls I was getting the feel. In the end the X100's were the best option for me.

The flighted technology:

At first I was concerned that I may have gotten the wrong shafts because my 6 iron was flying higher than I thought it would. But then I got my four iron, and my concern was gone. Really nice low penetrating shots.

I am surprised Golf Digest only gave this club a silver rating. The comment that Six handicaper Justin Timberlake, struggled with this club is odd. I am a 10, and I see these clubs really helping my game. A club like the X-Forged that has great feel, and lots of power will really help me with my tempo. It is not a hard club to hit, but it will bite you if you get fast or lazy with your swing.

• 2 weeks later...
I was recently told by a Mizuno staffer that the '09 X Forged irons are the best combo of feel, forgiveness, and workability that he's seen in a while, and he said that he's hit everything new that's on the market. I can't wait to give these a try. Really looking to compare the two and see if the "corrections" to the older model are worth the buzz.

TRUE. These are the business

I went to demo a whole host of new irons with a view to replacing my ZM blades. These are hurting me at the moment with inconsistient shots. (Totally my fault, they are superb clubs, but because of work demands I can now only get out 2/3 time a month and can't give them the time they deserve)

I demo'ed these along with AP2's, TM Burner TP's, Nike split cavities, MP 62 and MP52, Ping S57 and i10, Cobra CB's, Srixon 701's.

Results: AP2's - nice, soft, forgiving, very high ball flight, TM Burner TP - a suprise, solid, easy to hit, very consistent distances, slightly hard feel, Nike's - good, but nothing special, MP62 - solid, strong ball flight, very poor on mishits, MP52 - similar to MP62 but good on mishits, Ping S57 - good, soft, a club shorter than anything else, i10 - better than I expected, but poor on distance, Cobra's - best for value, lovely irons, Srixon 701's - very good under rated club, and finally 09 x-forged - TOTALLY BLEW ALL THE ABOVE AWAY for feel, distance, playability and felt really really solid.

I am still stunned as I have always disliked Callaway products. To see if this was a one off for Callaway I tested the FT9 tour 9.5 deg, Fubuki 73g s-flex and it blew away my 909 on all counts.

As a diehard Titleist and Mizuno fan I am in tatters. I am on the ropes reeling from my findings.

The message to all Callaway fans - buy with confidence, these are superb, as is the FT9.

To all non-Callaway fans - you better bury the snobbery, Callaway are not just getting it right, they have got it right

• 2 weeks later...

I went in to buy irons with my 3 being

Titleist AP2 - too lightweight didn't quite have the same feel as the others. Great looking club at address and great feel at contact, but just not the club I wanted

Taylormade TP 2009 - Good looking club as well, but just didn't compare

Mizuno MP-62 - Great club all around. Good feel great results

I went and picked up the x-forged on a whim, and what a great set of irons. Unbelievable workability high/low draw/fade etc. and just a good looking club in the bag and at address. The distance control was unparalleled among the others I tried, and this club was the best hands down.

I am a scratch player and ball striking is my strength by far, and these irons have reshaped my game because they just give me confidence at address and great feel throughout the swing.

I would recommend these clubs without even thinking twice about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a set of Callaway X Forged Irons about three weeks ago. Many might be surprised as I'm pretty much known for my devotion to anything JDM. I've played multiple sets of JDM clubs for the past few years. My last set, the 2007 OnOff Forged + CB's came direct from Daiwa's tour department with the big upgrade of Labo Spec shafts. That set alone was twice the cost of the X Forged irons. So the question at least my friends brought to me was "Why??????" and of course the "WTH????" Except with another letter replacing the "H". ;) My simple answer, ever since I covered this years Sony Open for the site, I saw the X Forged Irons and of all the sets that I saw this year, the X Forged was the only one that intrigued me. I loved the look of them and although I had a great set that has been really good to me for the past two years, I had an incredible urge to try something new.

My set arrived and I quickly unpacked it and studied the look of them. Although I've "ho'ed" a lot of equipment, I never tire of unpacking a set at my leisure at home. The feeling is so much more enjoyable then at the shop where you just waggle it and try not to look like such a club dork in public. My initial thoughts were that I was going to have to get used to the "blade" look and feel again. Although I started golf over thirty years ago and learned on Macgregor, Wilson and Hogan blades, my adult life has been filled with cavity backs. I've never tired of the blade look but I'm old now. I don't have the hours on end to practice. I'm still able to keep a single digit with my weekly outings with a few range sessions thrown in but if I can make the game simpler, I'll do it. If there's one thing I've learned, the game is hard enough...no sense making it harder!

The X Forged irons have a really nice look from above. The topline is nothing like I would have expected from Callaway. I've played multiple sets of Callways..Big Bertha's, X12, X14 and Fusions, but I grew tired of the chunky look and offset. The X Forged is far from being chunky. The offset alone is nothing like your usual Callaway expectation. The head shape was also something that was so much more appealing then the rounded/fat look of other Callaway sets. The back cavity has some nice milling in the pocket and unlike my past experiences with Callaway, no pocket/cavity that I'd need a paint brush to scrub out the dirt and grass clippings that always manage to get stuck in there.

I studied the irons from PW to 3 and I liked how the head shape progressed from the rounder PW, a look that I prefer to the traditional blade like look of the 3 iron. There still was a bit of offset in the 3 iron that made me think that this change in club styles wouldn't be too difficult. I also noticed that from heel to toe, the X Forged were almost the same as my OnOff Forged + irons.

After ogling the clubs for about an hour, I quickly grabbed my phone and set up a tee time for the next day. Out on the course, I was surprised to notice that although I've been playing irons with a bit of a wider sole then the X Forged, the transition was almost seamless. It took nine holes to really get used to the way they played. I had to stop overcooking my shots. Since it has been years since I've used these semi-player clubs, I've gotten used to using a bit more strength to turn the ball. With the X Forged, I was reminded how easy it was to move the ball either which way compared to more "forgiving" clubs. Instead of my usual, aiming for the middle of greens, it was pretty easy to aim for the middle and work the ball towards the pin. For a bit, I actually felt like a better player then what I consider myself to be. :) The back nine, I was pretty much all smiles as I had gotten used to the X Forged and now they felt like they had been in the bag all year. The X Forged were surprisingly forgiving. I had expected the sting that I used to feel back when I started if I mishit a shot but did not receive it. I guess with the design they put into the cavity, the weighting helps in producing a bit more forgiveness then you'd expect. Like I said, these irons make me feel like a better player then I am. :)

The feel was very nice. Although I really like my soft JDM clubs, the X Forged and it's 1020 Forged Carbon steel was very nice. I actually initially thought they'd feel like my old Titleist 690.cb's I had years ago but they were nothing similar. There was no click to them like on the 690's. Just a nice soft feel with a good solid sound to it.

Okay...so no review would be good if there were no negatives. So..my negatives on the X Forged...The Medallion on the back. Yeah, I know..who looks at the back when you hit a ball but when they're in my bag, I can't stand the look of the medallion. It reminds me of some Super Bowl logo. Other then that, I couldn't find any other negatives. Looks, feel, forgiveness, were all there.

Bottom line...If I had to suggest a "players" CB, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 2009 Callaway X Forged irons. Compared to some of the JDM set's I'm used to buying, the X Forged are a steal. As these are the first American set I've used since the Titleist 690.cb's, I can honestly say, America has come along way in the past few years. Which for me is a bad thing because of my propensity to shop..aka HO. Now instead of just sticking to one country, my taste has grown quite enormously.

2009 Callaway X Forged Irons....I rate them a 4. Sure, I could probably say 5 but I'd look like I was crazy for trying anything new. Considering how many clubs I go through every year....I don't want to be any crazier then I already am. So take my 4 as a 5 for normal people. :drinks:

Short and sweet...........X Forged Review.... ;)

* Pros-They have all the looks of a blade with the addition of some forgiveness. From long iron to short iron, forgiving yet very workable. Easily the best looking iron Callaway has ever made. After becoming a fan of Callaway from the start, it's nice to be playing with them once again.

* Cons- Try as I might, I can't find faults with this iron. If anything, they could have done a better job with the design of the medallion. With such a classy looking head style, a simple "Callaway" would have sufficed.

* Bottom Line-If I had to suggest a "players" CB, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 2009 Callaway X Forged irons.

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

Nice looking club, but I don't like what they've done to the club, and I suspect others will feel the same if they bought 07 X-Forged for the same reason I did.

I played Titleist 670MB's for a long time and didn't realize by design the level of bounce. camber and blunt leading edge was contributing towards mishits. I tested 07 X-Forged when new and noticed a remarkable improvement in ball striking because they have less bounce, low camber and a sharp leading edge like my backup MacGregor custom grind blades. Since buying 07 X-Forged my ball striking has improved greatly. Callaway 07 X-Forged are the best irons I've owned.

Recently I had a chance to hit the 09 version and noticed right off they have more bounce, more camber and a blunt leading edge making them digger club heads, combined with more cavity forgiveness they are not for me. As nice as they look I am disappointed with how Callaway changed the 09 X-Forged.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

• 3 weeks later...
Nice looking club, but I don't like what they've done to the club, and I suspect others will feel the same if they bought 07 X-Forged for the same reason I did.

I played Titleist 670MB's for a long time and didn't realize by design the level of bounce. camber and blunt leading edge was contributing towards mishits. I tested 07 X-Forged when new and noticed a remarkable improvement in ball striking because they have less bounce, low camber and a sharp leading edge like my backup MacGregor custom grind blades. Since buying 07 X-Forged my ball striking has improved greatly. Callaway 07 X-Forged are the best irons I've owned.

Recently I had a chance to hit the 09 version and noticed right off they have more bounce, more camber and a blunt leading edge making them digger club heads, combined with more cavity forgiveness they are not for me. As nice as they look I am disappointed with how Callaway changed the 09 X-Forged.

So, if I'm a steep angle of attack player who takes a healthy divot do you believe these irons or the previous model of x-forged are a better fit based on those design features?

If you are a digger or in other words are not afraid to take a divot then the 09' are much better and will prevent digging. If you are a sweeper or picker than the 07' X-Forged will be much better for you. The 07' were almost the perfect club but the lack of bounce and razor sharp leading edge held them back IMO

Team beachbody coach
WITB Link

• 3 months later...

anyone with experience hitting mp29s? if so, how do they compare?

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Anyone still gaming these by chance?

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 1 year later...

I picked up a set of Callaway X Forged Irons about three weeks ago. Many might be surprised as I'm pretty much known for my devotion to anything JDM. I've played multiple sets of JDM clubs for the past few years. My last set, the 2007 OnOff Forged + CB's came direct from Daiwa's tour department with the big upgrade of Labo Spec shafts. That set alone was twice the cost of the X Forged irons. So the question at least my friends brought to me was "Why??????" and of course the "WTH????" Except with another letter replacing the "H". wink.gif My simple answer, ever since I covered this years Sony Open for the site, I saw the X Forged Irons and of all the sets that I saw this year, the X Forged was the only one that intrigued me. I loved the look of them and although I had a great set that has been really good to me for the past two years, I had an incredible urge to try something new.

My set arrived and I quickly unpacked it and studied the look of them. Although I've "ho'ed" a lot of equipment, I never tire of unpacking a set at my leisure at home. The feeling is so much more enjoyable then at the shop where you just waggle it and try not to look like such a club dork in public. My initial thoughts were that I was going to have to get used to the "blade" look and feel again. Although I started golf over thirty years ago and learned on Macgregor, Wilson and Hogan blades, my adult life has been filled with cavity backs. I've never tired of the blade look but I'm old now. I don't have the hours on end to practice. I'm still able to keep a single digit with my weekly outings with a few range sessions thrown in but if I can make the game simpler, I'll do it. If there's one thing I've learned, the game is hard enough...no sense making it harder!

The X Forged irons have a really nice look from above. The topline is nothing like I would have expected from Callaway. I've played multiple sets of Callways..Big Bertha's, X12, X14 and Fusions, but I grew tired of the chunky look and offset. The X Forged is far from being chunky. The offset alone is nothing like your usual Callaway expectation. The head shape was also something that was so much more appealing then the rounded/fat look of other Callaway sets. The back cavity has some nice milling in the pocket and unlike my past experiences with Callaway, no pocket/cavity that I'd need a paint brush to scrub out the dirt and grass clippings that always manage to get stuck in there.

I studied the irons from PW to 3 and I liked how the head shape progressed from the rounder PW, a look that I prefer to the traditional blade like look of the 3 iron. There still was a bit of offset in the 3 iron that made me think that this change in club styles wouldn't be too difficult. I also noticed that from heel to toe, the X Forged were almost the same as my OnOff Forged + irons.

After ogling the clubs for about an hour, I quickly grabbed my phone and set up a tee time for the next day. Out on the course, I was surprised to notice that although I've been playing irons with a bit of a wider sole then the X Forged, the transition was almost seamless. It took nine holes to really get used to the way they played. I had to stop overcooking my shots. Since it has been years since I've used these semi-player clubs, I've gotten used to using a bit more strength to turn the ball. With the X Forged, I was reminded how easy it was to move the ball either which way compared to more "forgiving" clubs. Instead of my usual, aiming for the middle of greens, it was pretty easy to aim for the middle and work the ball towards the pin. For a bit, I actually felt like a better player then what I consider myself to be. smile.gif The back nine, I was pretty much all smiles as I had gotten used to the X Forged and now they felt like they had been in the bag all year. The X Forged were surprisingly forgiving. I had expected the sting that I used to feel back when I started if I mishit a shot but did not receive it. I guess with the design they put into the cavity, the weighting helps in producing a bit more forgiveness then you'd expect. Like I said, these irons make me feel like a better player then I am. smile.gif

The feel was very nice. Although I really like my soft JDM clubs, the X Forged and it's 1020 Forged Carbon steel was very nice. I actually initially thought they'd feel like my old Titleist 690.cb's I had years ago but they were nothing similar. There was no click to them like on the 690's. Just a nice soft feel with a good solid sound to it.

Okay...so no review would be good if there were no negatives. So..my negatives on the X Forged...The Medallion on the back. Yeah, I know..who looks at the back when you hit a ball but when they're in my bag, I can't stand the look of the medallion. It reminds me of some Super Bowl logo. Other then that, I couldn't find any other negatives. Looks, feel, forgiveness, were all there.

Bottom line...If I had to suggest a "players" CB, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 2009 Callaway X Forged irons. Compared to some of the JDM set's I'm used to buying, the X Forged are a steal. As these are the first American set I've used since the Titleist 690.cb's, I can honestly say, America has come along way in the past few years. Which for me is a bad thing because of my propensity to shop..aka HO. Now instead of just sticking to one country, my taste has grown quite enormously.

2009 Callaway X Forged Irons....I rate them a 4. Sure, I could probably say 5 but I'd look like I was crazy for trying anything new. Considering how many clubs I go through every year....I don't want to be any crazier then I already am. So take my 4 as a 5 for normal people. :drinks:

Short and sweet...........X Forged Review.... wink.gif

* Pros-They have all the looks of a blade with the addition of some forgiveness. From long iron to short iron, forgiving yet very workable. Easily the best looking iron Callaway has ever made. After becoming a fan of Callaway from the start, it's nice to be playing with them once again.

* Cons- Try as I might, I can't find faults with this iron. If anything, they could have done a better job with the design of the medallion. With such a classy looking head style, a simple "Callaway" would have sufficed.

* Bottom Line-If I had to suggest a "players" CB, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 2009 Callaway X Forged irons.

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

Just got a set of these - the weight, feel and sound is like a blast from the past.

Can't believe these were out there and I never knew it. Wow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't get rid of these clubs. I keep looking for a reason to buy a more recent model with "newer" technology, but nothing compares to how these feel (not to mention the classic simple look) and although many of today's 6 irons go further than this one, it's just because the lofts on most of them are 2 degrees stronger. Love these clubs!

• 4 years later...

I have been playing the 2009 x forged with the flighted 6.0 shafts for a year now . As a 12 handicap, they have helped my game and I can see single digits on the horizon. They are butter when you hit them and have a timeless look that most like. The trajectory of a shots and the consistency in distance these club produce is spot on. Florida weather gets me 170-175y with the 31degree 6 iron. I feel dialed in to the distance on each club which has helped me score better. I keep looking at the newer irons with the latest technology and just keep passing them up. Give them a try.