2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

Do you use your 52 or 60 in sand? I started with the longest club I like using (used to be 3 wood, but my driver and I are on good terms currently) and then my sand wedge and then worked out what fit the gaps in between best based on my distances and uses. My minimalist set up jumps between 8 and 9 clubs depending on if I’m bagging the driver or the 3 wood.

Some people build there set based on their par 3 holes at their course to make sure they have a full shot on to those. Others just pull every other club out of the bag.

Play a round with what you suggested. See if you felt like you were missing anything, if so work around it. If not keep calm and carry on.

• Like 1

XYPN4LKPF3OB.jpeg

3MP8IG6FXJ8K.jpeg

EX780XW26MBR.jpeg

Hehe. Every club in the bag except putter.

Here is my current setup but as you can see I have options lol

damn. If you’re ever in Vancouver Canada we should get a round in. Caution though some people may have an aneurism if they see us.

• Like 2

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

I’m in the UK. With current travel restrictions I cant see that round happening any time soon! :(

[edit] ps. Love the display. Jealous. I have to hide my various clubs in different parts of the house so the mrs doesn’t start to complain about what I’ve spent...

JIQ69JML60O4.jpgCurrent bag minus the 7 iron. But will be pulling the shafts on all of them to make the set more harmonious. Awt 2.0s going in to all of them. 2 wedge shafts and then the w, 9 and 7 from the iron shafts... Going to put the awt 5 iron shaft into my hybrid as well

This is good. Will experiment with 7 clubs and an old Ping L8 bag....Driver, 5 Wood, 25 hybrid, 6 iron, 9 iron, 58* wedge, putter.

SCYWJGQZSGQN.jpg

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Yamaha RMX 220 17* 5 Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids - 21* and 24*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

Great looking bag - did you go for a full set of Miura's and are only playing the 6, 9, and 58? Or did you just order the 3 clubs? I've been tempted to just do a short set order with National Custom.

• Like 1

WITB / Oct ‘23

Driver: PXG Proto - Tour AD IZ 6X

Fairway: Taylormade V-Steel T/S

Hybrid: Taylormade GAPR Mid 19*

Irons: Hogan Apex FTX 6, 8, P

Wedges: Vokey SM7 50*, Jaws Raw 56*

Putter: Bettinardi QB6

I have the Miura CB 57 4-PW and the 2018 52 and 58 Tour Wedges plus KM 005 Putter. Guilty your honor...If you want to just try them, EBAY has individual head only Miura iron listings sometimes.

See below:https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MIURA-JAPAN-MG-CB-1008-CAVITY-BACK-7-IRON-Head-Only-RH/372808719853?hash=item56cd219ded:g:YvYAAOSwhfNdqdkz

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Yamaha RMX 220 17* 5 Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids - 21* and 24*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

OK. Something to get the creative juices going while we are stuck indoors...

Your all time great minimalist set?.. If money was no object, what would make up your set of your favourite clubs in history.

Rules:

Only one club from a set allowed.

Loft gaps must be 6* or greater.

No more than 9 clubs total

Tell us the reason why that club makes the bag.

May be there was a club your favourite player used to win the masters. May be there is a company no longer with us you want to honour in their memory (my set has a Nike and Adams club for this reason. May be there is a club you loved from your childhood etc...

Go...

I can get behind this idea... a few of them would still be clubs I use today.. or wish I had in the past. This is extremely realistic budget-wise, but i don't think I could bring myself to have SO many brands in one bag.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher Comp 9*

Woods: V-steel 15* [still in the bag]

Irons: Callaway Hawkeye 4i (23.5*), Titleist 755 7i (35*), Titleist 714 MB 9i (43*)

Wedge: Cobra Trusty Rusty (54*)

Putter: Something MannKrafted

WITB / Oct ‘23

Driver: PXG Proto - Tour AD IZ 6X

Fairway: Taylormade V-Steel T/S

Hybrid: Taylormade GAPR Mid 19*

Irons: Hogan Apex FTX 6, 8, P

Wedges: Vokey SM7 50*, Jaws Raw 56*

Putter: Bettinardi QB6

I already have 2 of my slots filled which are currently in my bag:

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 7 iron (32*), Their last iron with a good level of forgiveness workability and love the black finish. I felt like between nike and tiger they really helped bring golf to the masses with innovative designs and a lower price point.

Adams Idea Pro Gold Pitching wedge (46*). RDS Barath listed it as one of his favourites on his Adams special on spec episode and I’d agree. Love this club, and love what Adams golf stood for.

Im thinking a Ping eye 2 plus no plus sand wedge. A classic. I think they are slightly stronger lofted that the eye 2s, but I’m struggling to find the details. I got in to golf to late to play these when new, but everyone I ever speak to had a set at one point and I tried a colleagues out and loved it. If it comes in BECU then even better!

I’d want a nice blade as my 39* iron but nothing has jumped out at me yet. It’s the only slot in the bag that I’d be comfortable playing that type of club. Being of the EA Sports TIger Woods generation its hard to look past one of his older sets.

not decided on the top end yet. May be a covert or a big bertha v series wood. I’m thinking a short 7 wood and a driver to round out the bag. While I love a hybrid, I cant think of any that really sing to me.

Not sure on putter yet either...

I’ve been having a rethink of mine and am now of a mind to try and make it a reality...

Driver: wanted something between 300 and 400cc. Taylormade R360 Ti 12* might fit the bill. Would play it at 43”

Fairway: Callaway V series heavenwood. I think it will be a while until I find this at a good price. Open to other suggestions for classic 20* fairways. Tm v steel. Ping tisl tec . TEE CB1. nike ignite t60. (Not checked what lofts i can get in these yet...)

High lofted hybrid: wanted to put an adams in this slot, but might go for a Cleveland altitude. Needs to be 28* to fit the gaps I’ve identitfied

mid iron: 35* tbd

Short iron: mizuno mp 14 / 29 / 33 / 68 or tn 87 depending on price and availability.

Pitch: Cleveland 588

sand: eye2 BeCu

Putter: thinking an odyssey Rosie

I love the fact that it would look like such a random selection of old clubs in the bag , but I’m sure it would raise some eyebrows and strike up some interesting conversations and I’m confident i could scoe

• Like 1

Love playing a half set. I'm a walker so it definitely has its advantages there but its the shot making aspect I love the best. Nothing better than choking down and carving one in there exactly as you pictured. Have 3 different setups but this is the one I'm playing currently.

Driver- 9.5 Titleist 910D2

5 Wood- 18 Mizuno MP-001

Irons- Ping Eye 2 3,5,7,9

Wedges- Cleveland 588 54 & 60

Putter- Ping AnserF

Bag- Ping L8

WJQPOHSSDOG2.jpg

PDGSAKZHJ0JO.jpg

I9K3FUKK6MDB.jpg

• Like 1

OK, ill have a go...

Ping g20 3 wood

Ping isi 7 wood

Ping k15 5 hybrid

Ping zing 7 iron - love this ugly duckling, they just went straight

Ping eye 2 9 iron - greatest irons ever made

Mizuno tp11 sw - adored sandy lyle as a kid, and he used these to win the masters

Wilson or taylormade tpa putter - just because faldo used it for so long and I badly wanted one!

I’m down to 6 clubs, all aimed at making the game as easy as possible: Driver, H4, H7 (all TaylorMade), Cleveland SmartSole C and S along with a TFI putter. Driver was fitted, H4 and putter bought second hand.

I read somewhere someone stated that minimalism is basically about understanding that the perfect clubs do not exist - it’s all about using what you have. That resonated with me for some reason, as I grew tired of sifting through Utility irons and GI irons, that still left me regretting not spending every waking hour on training.

What I game now is uber-forgiving all around (except, perhaps, for that 4 hybrid, which might magically turn into a 7 wood in 2021). And it all fits in a very small bag, that I can easily carry, when I walk.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Used this time working from home to build an older 6 club set.

titleist 983k 10.5 driver - bought

callaway big Bertha 2004 7 wood -bought (considered a steelhead iii also)

Mizuno mp60 / 62 7 iron - still searching for a good deal

adams idea pro gold p - own

ping eye 2 s - own

roughly 12* loft gaps across the board. Just need to pair it with the right putter now. Open to suggestions. May be the original 2 ball...

too much time on the pc is bad for my wallet! Fortunately all these clubs are pretty cheap.

My next time out on the course, I'm going with a minimalist bag. Been thinking about doing this for awhile now. I always walk, but I'm getting tired of using my push cart and would like to go back to carrying. That said, my days of carrying a full bag of clubs are over.

Here's the set-up I'm thinking about. 8 clubs total:

Driver - Ping G400 Max (10.5*)

5 Wood - Titleist 915 FD (18*)

Irons - Mizuno MP 18 SC: 5 iron (27*), 7 iron (34*), 9 iron (42*)

Wedges - Mizuno T20 (50*), Scratch FIT (58*)

Putter - Ping Anser 2

I drive the ball very straight, so hitting driver primarily off the tee is no big deal. Also, I use my 58* as my primary green-side and bunker club, so that won't be an adjustment. The only gap that concerns me is between my 5 wood and 5 iron, but I'm not sure how often that shot will be an issue. Perhaps I'm naive, but I feel that my scores won't be hurt at all. Hell, they might even improve. I always feel that I'm in-between clubs, so my hope is that with less options, I have more confidence to commit to a certain club/shot.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

This is pretty close to my min set Bear95 except to cover that gap between 5wood and 5 iron I put an Adams peanut 23 hybrid in and bump the total up to 9. I have been less effective lately with my Ping G20 5 wood so on occasion I will just take it and the 23 hybrid out and put in a trusty old Ping G10 21 degree hybrid.

• Like 1

Hope everyone is well and not going crazy stuck indoors.

ive now started a new hobby... as I don’t have the space or the finances for a large club collection I’ve found a new way to own multiple “sets” and not impact my budget or annoy the mrs!

my half set consists of 6 clubs but I have a gap between my 46* wedge and my 22* wood that is perfect for a 7/6 iron and as such I’ve started to buy up old fitting irons. They are in abundance, in good condition and are cheap. Plus I only need a handful of shafts for the different fittings but can have a loads of heads that take up little space. can chop and change as the mood suits as well as building up a collection of some classic heads.

helps pass the time at home anyway...

@Hertsjoatmon I had thought about fitting irons in the past, well before my collection grew, but they were much more difficult to find back then. Great idea.
what do you have as far as your collection goes? Let’s see pics!@timbodtc Is eBay your main source for single/half set of clubs? I found it easy to find one or two clubs from sets that I want but found it quite hard to get half sets with same shafts and proper length gapping. It was always a Frankenstein set of stiff and regular flex and just not what I was looking for.

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

Well I’m still restricted due to isolation... not to buying clubs, but to how I sneak them into the house behind the mrs’ back. They are all being delivered to my brothers...

the random 7/6 irons so far in no particular order

m5

jpx ex (2016)

Vapor fly pro

cg16 tour (black)

ws fg tour m3

got a few mizuno I’m watching. Partial to the mp57... also watching a Bridgestone j40. There are some MacGregors I like. A couple of pings. A Ben Hogan...

this is a new pursuit but I think the collection will grow fast! Some aren’t fitting clubs but I’ll fit them with a universal adapter to be able to swap shafts