GPS Watches

It all depends what functions you want and if you wanna use it for more than golf. I used the S20 last summer that i got as a present and it basically did everything i wanted except calculating distance for slope. But this year i upgraded to the S62 since i couldn't stand the look of it and i wanted the heart monitor for the basic training im doing.

However I would not go for the S60 unless you are absolutely sure you only do no more than 18 holes between charges, heard alot of people not getting 36 holes out of it. That has been fixed with the S62 and someone wrote they got 4 rounds out of it and a whole week of normal usage with some training included on a full charge (and from the little usage I have done so far with it it sounds pretty accurate). With that said, depending on budget and usage i would go for the S20, X40, S40 or S62 (S62 especially if you are thinking about using it for some training also).

Also as some commented, if you want a watch thats good at most things (not just golf) you could go for something like a Vivoactive 3/4, or Fenix 5/6 since both of em have similar golf functions as everything except the S62 and S60 but alot more daily/training functions.

• 8 months later...
On 10/22/2019 at 1:49 PM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> @pencilholder said:

> I just got the Garmin Vivoactive 3. It’s like the budget Fenix, especially since they dropped the price with the VA4 now out. Easy to use, enough battery life, and I can use it for running and golf. Also lighter than a lot of options out there.

Agree I'm a big fan of my VA3 in spite of its quirk's. A periodic reboot seems to keep it operating well. Battery is decent,about 50% after 1 round, and it's light. Also great for tracking walks, hikes and bike rides etc.

Does the Vivoactive record golf as an activity - i.e shows the walk and treats it as a walk? This is something the S62 can do but my Fenix can't.

11 minutes ago, ironcat said:

Does the Vivoactive record golf as an activity - i.e shows the walk and treats it as a walk? This is something the S62 can do but my Fenix can't.

If you go in on the phone App or website and look under "All Activities" Golfing shows up etc.  Click on it and you'll have a map of your walk, time duration, distance and calories.

I'm in the market to replace my VA3 with a Fenix 6 pro.  Do you like your Fenix?

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5

3 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

If you go in on the phone App or website and look under "All Activities" Golfing shows up.  Click on it and you'll have a map of your walk, time duration, distance and calories.

I'm in the market to replace my VA3 with a Fenix 6 pro.  

I'll be very interested to hear both of your thoughts. I love my VA3 but it's been a little wonky lately so I have had my eye on potential replacements. The VA3 has been the perfect blend for me with golf and other activities.

Just now, VNutz said:

I'll be very interested to hear both of your thoughts. I love my VA3 but it's been a little wonky lately so I have had my eye on potential replacements. The VA3 has been the perfect blend for me with golf and other activities.

I'd agree I've had some wonky behavior from my VA3.  I did do a hard reset a couple months ago which resolved the issues--- though I had it freeze last week at the start of a recent hike. Fortunately I noticed in the first 100 yards so I was able to restart it and it worked fine.  The one think that really irks me about the VA3 is the altimeter is virtually useless.

I'm really thinking about the Fenix 6 Pro. The VA3 was the first watch I've worn daily in >20 years, so it was sort of a test. I now like having a watch with all these bells and whistles so therefore the Fenix seems like a nice next step.  Though I'll admit to being concerned because the Fenix maybe a bit to heavy and bulky compared to the VA3.

Garmin fénix 6x is awesome. It has full color for the golf and shot tracking. I have an Arccos trial and the yards are within 1 yard which is awesome. Only thing it lacks is the strokes gained analysis. 

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

28 minutes ago, LeftyMatt24 said:

Garmin fénix 6x is awesome. It has full color for the golf and shot tracking. I have an Arccos trial and the yards are within 1 yard which is awesome. Only thing it lacks is the strokes gained analysis. 

After you make a shot does the Fenix 6x ask you what club you hit?  My approach X40 did this and I missed it when I switched to my Vivoactive3. Fenix is likely my next upgrade.

It does not. I have to go in at the end if the round and put it in. I typically remember what club I pulled but it’s up me and manual entry. 

25 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

After you make a shot does the Fenix 6x ask you what club you hit?  My approach X40 did this and I missed it when I switched to my Vivoactive3. Fenix is likely my next upgrade.

Pro V1X Left Dash

1 minute ago, LeftyMatt24 said:

It does not. I have to go in at the end if the round and put it in. I typically remember what club I pulled but it’s up me and manual entry. 

OK thanks.  That's too bad-- was a nice feature on the X40.  It won't stop me from buying it--- there's way too many other awesome features.   The only thing I have left to do is try it on.  I'm worried it might be a bit too heavy. I definitely won't get the 6x pro but rather the 6 pro--- I don't have huge wrists.  --- Thank you again!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 2:42 PM, LeftyMatt24 said:

Hey @LeftyMatt24 Just an update on this one.  So I ended up getting the Fenix 6 Pro and it's awesome!  A huge step up from my Vivoactive 3, which I really liked.  Anyway, while I haven't played a golf with it yet due to winter, I did test the golf function and it DOES prompt you for the club that was hit after each shot if you have "Club Prompt" turned on.  This is accessed under golf settings while in golf mode.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Hey @LeftyMatt24 Just an update on this one.  So I ended up getting the Fenix 6 Pro and it's awesome!  A huge step up from my Vivoactive 3, which I really liked.  Anyway, while I haven't played a golf with it yet due to winter, I did test the golf function and it DOES prompt you for the club that was hit after each shot if you have "Club Prompt" turned on.  This is accessed under golf settings while in golf mode.

Hope this helps.

Wow thank you! I am going to turn it on. 

Pro V1X Left Dash

I’ve been happily playing with my Garmin Approach S2. It might be the basic but it has been great. Sadly the first one i had, had to go back due to pixels missing on the screen. The second one i have atm has sadly died (battery) after a good 3 year run. After tweeting the demise, Garmin contacted me and they are sending me a new watch when they receive my old one even though that model has been discontinued. I have looked up the new versions and such but they just too confusing for me. I cant fault Garmins cs its been very good i’ll keep people posted on how my new one goes on. 

I like my S20. My biggest issue is that I store it in the console of my car, attached to its charging cable, and often forget to put it on before leaving the car. 

I think I’m going to get a USB extender cable and find a way to run it from the nearest charging port in the car back to my golf bag. That way when I grab my clubs it’ll be right there. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS