2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Any Long Term Srixon 785 Irons Reviews??

tigerfan23

Awesome feedback. I really appreciate you carving out the time to write that response :)

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
PXG Gen 6 0311P (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 51° - Oban CT 115s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 55° - Oban CT 125s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 60° - Oban CT 125s+

Toulon Las Vegas DB

I previously posted 785's best irons Ive ever played. I bought a set in mint condition from a guy on this site who had custom order from srixon. Ive been playing them for 4-5 months and last month head comes off 5 iron while teeing off on par 3. No biggie I get it repaired at my club. Today Im tapping my 6 iron on ground while waiting for group to clear green coincidently on same par 3 and it sounded like a broken bat sound. I twist head right off. Wondering if anyone has had issues, I played TM rocket blade tours for 6 years and prior to that mp60 mizunos and have never had this happen. Doesn't change my opinion of clubs but am miffed that this happened with fairly new clubs.

Were the clubs exposed to extreme temperatures, e.g. in the trunk? My brother in law always leaves his clubs in the trunk, after winter he started to have similar issues. I guess epoxy lost its properties, crystalized or whatsoever

Cobra AEROJET LS GD AD IZ 6
TM Stealth 15 Ventus Red 6

Callaway UW 19 Hzrdus Smoke Black
Cobra King Utility 4i MMT
Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-7i / ZX7 8-PW SteelFiber i95
Cleveland CBX2 50 / RTX6 56 /RTX6 60
Cobra King Vintage Stingray / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

This 100%!

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

these are 6.0 rifles, The guy I bought from sent me receipt from srixon with the specs so it wasn't like they were reshafted. Custom order through Srixon. I do leave in my truck at night a lot. But Weather at night 40-50 in the 70 daytime so doubt thats the issue. I will probably end up getting rest of set reopoxyed for peace of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the opportunity to test and be fitted into the z785 irons today. Turf interaction and forgiveness exceeded my expectations. Blown away by the performance and feel. 718 AP2s are now history :)

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
PXG Gen 6 0311P (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 51° - Oban CT 115s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 55° - Oban CT 125s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 60° - Oban CT 125s+

Toulon Las Vegas DB

I’ve had my set for about 2 months now, and played maybe 6 rounds so far. I know that not long term and probably still in the honeymoon phase but I really like them. They are very consistent and accurate. I have them with PXLZ 6.5 and I’m hitting more greens then ever, also the AW is deadly. Fe and looks are top notch, I’ve not noticed any issues with spin though I’m typically a high ball hitter and play higher spinning balls (prov1, z star).

Im really looking forward to having these in the bag for awhile!

I find the launch high but controllable.

I did the shaft optimizer at my fitting, it recommended PXLZ 6.5, PX 6.5 or X100. The LZ launched 2 yds higher than the PX but dispersion was better. I’m thinking feel wise I could have gone PX 6.0 and been fine but I really liked the feel of the LZ.

I don’t have to hit them low very often but can if needed. Also, FTR, I haven’t had any spin issues with these irons. Most times when I hit the green the ball is within a few feet if not closer to the ball mark. Now I don’t spin back an 8i like some but I’ll take the ball hitting and being fairly close to the pitch mark.

Been able to game these for 10 or more rounds so far this season. I ordered them 1* upright which was a mistake but I'll get to that in a moment. Overall, these irons are so good. From the minute I demo'd them and any time I'm in a launch monitor, the dispersion is tighter, consistent distance numbers, and great forgiveness. In my rounds, I've never noticed them putting less spin or hitting overall lower balls. If I do, it's because of the swing/strike. After so many rounds I was finally convinced that they were way too upright and needed to get lies adjusted. Here's what I have now

Iron / loft / lie

4i / 22 / 60.5

5i / 25 / 61

6i / 28 / 61.5

7i / 32 / 62

8i / 36 / 62.5

9i / 41 / 63

PW / 46 / 63.5

The shop says you typically have increments of .5 on lie throughout the set. This was not the case for the stock specs and I sort of saw this even from the beginning. Even tho they were more upright, some irons just looked off and it was random ones. In some cases, the new iron was bent 1.5* lower but everything blends together from 4 through PW now. Loft was only tweaked on a few irons to have proper gapping. I got fresh midsize z cord grips on them and now I can pull any club out my bag, set it on the ground, and it looks perfect.

I could easily see myself playing these irons for several years at this point.

785's are FABULOUS irons - have loved mine ever since moving from my 745's which were almost as good. I haven't found an iron that can beat them as far as I'm concerned. If I had only one criticism, I hope the next generation has less offset, so it's easier to fade them. Partly my natural swing but also partly the heads - I can hardly fade these irons to save my life and I need to be able to work it both ways.

I have an easier time fading the 745 for some reason. I've worked a lot on moving my path a bit more neutral or even out to in over winter and I've found them to be much easier in that sense. Generally hit a draw with the 785. Great clubs. I do think that's part of the spin thing with Srixons as well. Easy to turn over.

I could fade the 745's better as well. 785's definitely spin on the lower end for forged blades but I haven't experienced any downside as a result. Quite the opposite, very penetrating iron shots especially into the wind with great trajectory and nice hold on the greens. As a result, I hit these forged blades further than all others I've played (not necessarily what you're looking for when playing forged blades but nice to know its there when I need to step on it). My path is definitely in-to-out but these irons are the hardest to fade that I've played - even when I neutralize my path or even swipe out-to-in (because of the offset, I believe). I think less offset will do the trick so hope they take that into account with the next gen to perfect this awesome iron.

Would you consider the 7 series to be closer to blades than players cavity?

I have played a lot of different irons and find my 765s are as forgiving as my old ap2.

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

These are supposed to be player cavity irons...the Z Forged is Srixon's "blade" iron although it's probably more forgiving that other blades.

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

They are categorized as a players cavity. I played many of the Mizuno MP blades since playing competitive junior golf, as well as over the past couple of decades, and the 785's are as thin (face to back of the head) as most of them but more forgiving than all of them (a little longer heel to toe). They are also Endo forged which is the best forging around! So yes, they are blade like in feel/performance and, appearance at address, with great forgiveness (partly because of the cavity). The best of both worlds in my opinion. Meaning, they can hold their own against a pure forged blade like a Miura in regards to feel/performance/appearance and equally, hold their own competing against a pure cavity back iron in forgiveness.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried a set for about 3 months and eventually went back to my 745s. The blades look a little longer than the 745s and the soles are definitely thinner. I really liked the thicker sole of the 745s especially with the dual bounce. Our course is often wet and into the grain can get a little dicey with the 785s. Can easily work them both ways. My 745s are a few years old and show a little wear, so I found a mint set for an incredibly reasonable price and grabbed them. I don’t think there is a better iron out right now and have no intentions of moving away from Srixon. As far as I’m concerned - they are the best out.

The 745 are my on non-sellable set. I've got a set of soft stepped TI X100 in them and despite the shaft feeling a touch softer than I'd like they just flat out work. I always hoe - have a set of raw Apex MB with TI X100 on the way. I'll likely keep and play both but the 745 are just PURE. Tried another set for a few rounds and did alright. Went back to the 745 and fired off a PB +1 73 in 25mph wind. They're just so accurate and perfect in every way.

I scooped up a combo set 4-6 z785 / 7-PW zforged. One round and new I had to get the lofts and lies adjusted so they sat in my closet for months. I finally took them to a club fitter and had them all put to my specs. No surprise they where all out of whack. Some where 4 degrees strong and upright he said. Anyway took them out and shot a 75 with no issues. The ball flew nice and straight and had great spin for me to trust firing at pins. Nice set of irons after getting my specs adjusted.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7
-----------------------------------------

I think it is safe to say the Apex Mb raw feel amazing when struck well. Honestly apex feel much better, but when not struck well. the Srixon's both z785/zforged, are very forgiving. I really had no loss of distance from small off center strikes.. the apex mb's, well they are demanding. the srixons do feel nice and maybe its the modus 120 shaft, but i will be gaming the srixons for the next time i get out and see if the love continues. The overall head size is much larger on the srixon. that always brings in more confidence if you get a little wild.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7
-----------------------------------------

I've had a set of 785/Z Forged for a little over a year and I've loved them. Recently a buddy purchased a full set of 785s and I was able to try them out for a few rounds. I noticed a difference in the forgiveness of the short irons that are Z Forged in my current set. I decided to order a full set of 785s with $ Taper (current shaft is C Taper Lite). It's taking a bit to get them since $ Taper is considered exotic (free upgraded but guessing that means they don't have those shafts on hand). While I feel the Z Forged are definitely more forgiving than traditional "blades" I can see the benefit of a little extra forgiveness for myself.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

Z forged are absolutely beautiful, but why? The 7 series are so good. Last time I checked Srixon staffers were using the 7 series 4 to 1 vs the 9 series or Z forged. Matsuyama being the most well known exception. But JB Holmes - 785, Graeme McDowell - 745, Keegan Bradley - 745, Shane Lowry - 785, Martin Laird - 785, Ernie - 785.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner