Slicefixer. Any updates? Anyone still working with him?

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> Nice work @dpb5031. You and your daughter sure have seen a ton of great improvement. Hopefully, I can get some similar type of improvement!! But, alot of work needs to be done.

Thanks, and yes, I'd say we're both Slicefixer success stories to varying degrees.

In terms of improving, I would say the keys are: conceptual understanding, attention to detail, quality reps, patience, and perseverance. Most guys I know won't even put in the time and attention to detail to simply get their grip right, let alone the rest of it. Most revert back to "what feels comfortable " as soon as they step foot on the course, thus never making much progress. Kids are much more malleable, and Geoff does a wonderful job of bringing them along systematically.

• Like 2

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Here's my daughter on a recent driver swing. She was getting 152 ball speed on Trackman:

• Like 2

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> Dang @dpb5031. Serious club head speed there.

Thanks! If I don't put my absolute best move on it she's past me. She played several rounds in our men's group (guys my age) over spring break and hit it past all of them from the same tees...lol! They literally couldn't believe it...?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @ALIF said:

> Great move! I bet you’re really proud of her!

Thanks! Yessir...and best of all not just for her golf. She's really a great kid...I'm very lucky. Also was just awarded Academic All American.

• Like 3

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I saw Geoff several times up in warwick over the years. I believe i met you dewey and your daughter once or twice and you as well raul one of those times. Geoff was always a gentleman and a friend. Very gracious with his time and knowledge and never a clock watcher. In my own experience as a high-capper some of his stuff was over my head at the time. And as D said i kind of stuck with what was comfortable rather then doing the work. I really didn't know how to practice back then. I have learned a lot since those days. In my opinion i see a lot of geoffs stuff or a hybrid version of it with a lot of the current internet/instagram/youtube guys. i still refer to my dvds and try to apply what he told me. I would love to see him again if i can ever make contact with him.I think i could make huge gains now. His stuff on here in those early days was was phenomenal; i believed it shaped these forums. Its too bad though it got to a point anytime his name came up it became a bashing and threads got closed all the time between his followers and the trolls duking it out.

anyway the best advice i got form him was the grip. it all starts and ends there. worth the price of admission. " if you don't put your hand on there right you don't stand a chance"

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's no doubt best for Geoff that he doesn't post on Golfwrx. The internet is full of trolls, so there is no way to use it without getting sucked into conversations you don't need to have with people who are doing it differently and see that as a reason to tell you that you are doing it wrong. Too bad, too, because the guy is a great teacher, a wonderful human being, and a good friend to those lucky enough to get to know him a little bit. I have very fond memories of my visit to TXK and about 25 DVDs of his teachings that I watch throughout the golf season. They are as good as it gets.

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Titleist 818 H1 3 & 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP-60 irons (5-PW)

Mizuno T-22 wedges

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2-ball

I think he figured that out early and saved himself the headache. (Though the thread lasted on for years.) It is EXTREMELY hard to explain golf concepts effectively on an internet board. Largely because everybody is coming from a different place and as he always says 'feel is not real.' It's like trying trying to print someone's GPS instructions from one destination to another when you are starting in a different place. (And driving with a blindfold.) Why take the time and effort that he took to craft carefully thought out responses....just to get more questions than he could every answer or criticism that this subforum always elicits? Sure he could get a few more potential clients, but his lesson sheet stayed full.

It seems to me that he figured it out quickly and is likely much happier because of it. (as do a lot of talented instructors who post on the forum) He's a good man. And a very knowledgeable teacher. I think the best fits are students who can see him on a regular basis (like all those kids he's helped develop sweet swings.) If my kids had been interested in golf and had talent/desire to be better, he would have been their instructor in their formative stage for sure.

If you are an average golfer looking to improve in one trip to TXK or by making heads or tails of the Encyclopedia Texarkana (which is an edited version of a series of posts, not a true instruction book) your odds of success are pretty low. There were a lot of us (me included) who read every word and just felt if I worked hard enough, I'd master it too. I remember Geoff telling me that almost nearly every single golfer who came from the boards and had read the ET weren't doing the drill correctly.

Lots of good concepts are in there. And as someone said above, more people are doing a better job of teaching those concepts in a way fits. A decade later, my swing is miles better. And I'd bet would say it's a lot more fundamentally sound. (A little bit from time with Monte and local instructors helped a ton) I'm nowhere close to being a 'great ballstriker', but I can compress a golf ball and shoot scores I'm happy with and enjoy the game. (as opposed to the hack show my game was before)

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

• 4 months later...

As long as we’re posting comments, here’s mine ..

I’m 60. Been playing golf since 1986. And frankly sucked at it. I was a member of several different clubs (some well known) and took lessons from ... a club pro, a PGA Master Professional, a PGA Tour player, a local teaching pro, Dave Pelz (short game only), as well as friends and family who were good players.

Disgusted with my lack of progress (and I’m reasonably athletic), I called Geoff and booked an appointment. Geoff has TOTALLY TRANSFORMED my knowledge of the swing and how I should perform it.

Geoff has forced me to dig it out of the dirt. I will be the first to say that I didn’t get it on my first trip. But I keep working on it. One way to swing, one way to release. And I’m improving at a faster rate than ever. Honestly, there are days I feel I’m going to play really well.

If you want to play golf, keep doing what you’re doing. If you want to excel at it, you need to get down to Texarkana. I don’t need lessons from another local pro charging $125 per half hour. I’ve had that. Geoff will Force you to think. I think he’s the best instructor in golf today. By far.

• Like 3

Shame about Geoff he could had made millions but the inability to take action and or not having the right marketing team meant he let a lot of money go. Whereas the likes of GG saw his following especially with teenagers rebranded themselves, tapped in that market and took the money.

It 's so frustrating as I hate to see people just let opportunities slip away. Granted he might not be the best at self promotion and marketing but this is where you bring someone in your team who is good at this.

The whole slicefixer ship has sailed.... or maybe not?

Several years ago I took a bunch of lessons from Geoff. I got frustrated a bit with what I thought was lack of progress, then I dabbled with a bunch of other folks. I will tell you what, when things go sideways, I think back to Geoff's teachings and more often than not, it sets me on the right track. Can't say that about anyone else. I realize now I had one key concept I wasn't getting with Geoff- and the way he was explaining it to me didn't make sense. I worked it out myself over a long period of time and know a lot more now than I knew then. I would LOVE to go back to him, I would DEFINITELY have him teach my kids and I think he still goes up to Warwick. My favorite golf lessons are from Geoff, and I was so happy I recorded them. Puts a smile on my face to replay them and my swing looked really good with him from where I started.

I disagree that he could have made millions. He could have done "OK", and still might have that ability, but he had some self-sabotage that limited him - and his method does not lend itself to big golfing dollars. People pay for a quick fix, gadgets, and something that sounds novel, not someone drilling fundamental concepts over and over saying you have a long hard road ahead with his template. He would tell me that big NYC money guys would come up for lessons and want to be fixed in one session.

I also do think there is a style issue that relates to how he is so successful he is with juniors but spotty with experienced golfers. I saw some other acolytes and I saw it in myself a bit too. If you buy into the "long hard road" concept, then you accept not making a lot of progress very soon. This means that you could be doing the wrong thing for a long time and just chalking it up to "not getting it" or not paying attention to the minute, elusive detail. A good change should have an immediate effect. Then you practice and drill to make the change stick. If you are a junior and have a blank slate to accept the slicefixer template - great. If you are coming in with a bunch of baggage, that's different. Although I do have to say he "warned" me during the first lesson that he has a swing he teaches and this is what you are going to learn. Period.

All in all, I would say that he has done more for my game (and my kids) than anyone else and given me some of my favorite golfing memories. My Avatar is my son in Warwick practicing Geoff's swing when he was about 4 years old. Will always remember that day!

• Like 1

Geoff isn't the type motivated by money. 10 years ago he really could have capitalized on his popularity by scaling his operation, starting with an assistant, a scheduling secretary, and a functional and working website. It all sounds good, but he never stopped teaching 10-12 hours per day and was apparently uninterested in delegating or taking on partners or employees who likely would have been able to help him grow the business.

Geoff was explaining concepts about the golf swing (and how to teach it) on these forums more than 10 years ago that were not widely known at the time, but are now universally accepted. I now hear terminology he coined being used by teachers and players at all levels. He had it right without Trackman, Force Plates, Biomechanics software, etc....just extensive self exploration of his own swing, trial & error, countless hours of slo-mo video, and delivering thousands of lessons...literally "digging it out of the dirt."

His message resonated with many, hence the growth of his popularity. In my case he fundamentally changed the conceptual way i viewed what should happen in a good golf swing, and in turn, helped me make the changes required to become a much better player in my mid 40s. He also helped my daughter build a swing that got her to competing at the highest levels of amateur golf and receiving a DI full ride to a great university. I'll be forever grateful to him for that, plus he's been a good friend.

I think Geoff will be most happy and fulfilled when one of his students, especially one he's taught from the very beginning, makes it on one of the big Tours. I'm confident that that type of validation would mean more to him than financial gain.

• Like 4

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Yea, looks great Raul!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

What the !!!!! That is a seriously awesome swing. I can easily see how she is smoking it past everybody.Her impact position is amazing,very pro-like.

Years ago I booked a 3-day school with Geoff and ended up cancelling it. I shouldn't have but I did. When I talked to him on the phone he just seemed like such a nice guy. Not the kind of guy that cares about money and fame,but more of a very down to earth person who genuinely cares about other people than himself.I've altogether given up on golf instruction but who knows,maybe someday I'll go pay him a visit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of good comments here about Geoff's teaching that resonates with me. He is an outstanding swing analyst, and his systematic understanding of the golf swing - it's actually his swing theory - was the best I'd encountered back then and maybe still is. And I had studied everything I could get over before I went to see him. He has undressed so many myths about the golf swing, and a lot of his thoughts are available here if you google him. His golf swing theory isn't as unique as it was. It seems like more and more of the top players hit the ball as he has been advicing all along. Good science and good teachers have evolved greatly since then as well, but Geoff is still the one I'd see if I should take another swing lesson. And besides, he gives a lot more than just being a swing coach when you visit him. Going to Texarcana is up there with Hawaii, Grand Canyon and the Caribbean ... for a golfer like me.

• Like 1