2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Weirdest back to back shots you've witnessed

azoufan

Reading threads here and a memory came up out of nowhere.

Probably 20 years ago now, playing a course in Bellevue, NE with some friends. There are power lines that run through the golf course, and a couple of areas where they are low enough where theoretically they could be hit. We saw on the scorecard there was a local rule that if you hit the power lines, you replay the shot without penalty. Someone commented how impossible that must be. We get to about the 7th or 8th hole and one of our guys hits his driver and it clips the bottom of the power line about 50 yards in front of the tee. I say the bottom because the ball takes off, clips the power line, dips down in ball flight about 10 yards and then continues it's upward trajectory. Kind of an "S" shaped ball flight if you viewed it from the side. It was AMAZING, the sounds, the flight, just comical.

So after we finish commenting on how crazy that was, my man tees it up again, and as God as my witness, he did it again. Clipped the bottom of the power line, same downward and then upward trajectory, same sound, everything. To this day, the most amazing back to back shot sequence I've ever witnessed. How about you?!

Believe it or not I have seen 1 guy clip lines back to back as well ... Tyandaga GC in Burlington ON ... driver both times, old 4th hole. Whic ironically is my albatross hole

anyways,

this one is my favorite though. University tourney, 1992, opponent from a smaller school, he’s wickedly hungover. On one short par 4 he half tops a drive that goes bouncing down fairway 190 ...

he’s now about a buck ten in, completely violent bladed pw... hits the flag, wraps up in it and drops down inches from the hole. Birdie. This thing would’ve been OB by 30 yards over the back

We called him Barney Rubble for the rest of the round, he limped in with an 83 or something. I recall this round well because my team was so hungover. The perils of youth.

I four putted twice and shot 74. And one our guys, missed the team bus, showed up in jeans with 10 minutes to spare, bought some rain pants, puked in the flowerbed beside the first tee .... and shot 73 with an opening double

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

A friend is 180 out, hitting 3 on a short par 4 from under a tree in the right side of the fairway. His first two shots were equally horrible. This shot comes out like a rocket, headed left of the green, goes under a cart, over the cart path, into the woods, hits a tree root, bounces back over the cart path just off the green on the left side. His fourth shot is equally skulled from 30 yards to the flag, it's knee high screaming over the green, hits the flag stick dead solid and falls into the hole. Not only the weirdest 2 shots back to back, but actually 4 if you count a 30 yard drive topped off the tee, and a second shot with a 3 wood that hits a tree and goes about 100 yards.

Played with a guy several years. He was a few yards off the fairway with a tree about 20 yards in front of him. He lines up his shot and swings. He hits the trunk of the tree and the ball ends up almost exactly where it started. Changes his alignment and takes his next shot. The ball hits the truck of the tree again and ends up a few feet in front of him. The third shot the exact same thing happens and the ball ends up about the same spot as the first shot. It was amazing he changed his alignment 3 times and still managed to hit the tree and the ball ends up close to where it started.He finally changed clubs and took out his lob wedge and finally hit it over the tree.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Matchplay tournament a few years ago, short par 4 17th, hole was around 350 yards. Our opponent cold tops his three wood barely to the end of the tee box, must have gone 10 yards total. He marches up and swings wildly and rips a follow up shot into the fairway. Don’t remember the exact yardage he had in from there, somewhere between 90-110 yards but he holed it. We lost the hole and the match on that.

This was 2 shots back to back by my partner and I on the twelfth hole

12 is key in Hollywood matches as it’s the sixth and final hole in the middle 6 hole match. My partner is a 19 cap.

200 yard par 3 over a pond, pin back left. Our opponents hit the front of the green. I am in left trap pin high and the only guy with a popper is my partner who is 60 yards left and in the middle of the 18th fairway.

He has to go over 30 yards of forest, trees are 50 feet high, and over a trap to a pin on a tiny shelf

He somehow hits a full 60* over everything to 3 inches for a 3 for 2. I hole out the trap shot for a 2, we won the match and all the presses, 60 bucks. This was ten years back and we still talk about it

EvnRoll ER9

I've actually seen a guy hit a power line 3 times in a row. The 18th hole at Jackson Park in Seattle. There are power lines right at the perfect driver height. I actually don't know if he hit the same line three times in a row, as there are a few together, but the end results was 3 lost balls. Guy (rightfully) brought it up every time he stepped onto that tee.

Short par 4. I slice my tee-shot into the woods, hits a tree and bounces into the middle of the fairway. Pin is tucked behind a bunker, back left of green. I aim for the middle of the green with an 8 iron and pull it left...right into the hole for an eagle. I hit a awful drive and a poor second shot and got a 2. Didn't deserve it...

At least 30 yrs ago (wood woods still common) and I’m playing with 2 guys who likely play 5X a year and shooting 100 would be a goal. Never met them before or since.

On the 9th hole (par 5) one guy hits his tee shot so far right he’s 75 yards off line and on the next hole. While these guys are wandering around, I play on down the fairway and I’m about 75 yards away from the green and waiting for wayward Willie to finally hit his shot.

He flails mightily at the ball with some sort of wood and hits a huge hook. Next thing I know the ball is bouncing toward the green, up and over a couple of surrounding mounds, onto the green and into the hole for a double-eagle. He has no clue and even when he knows it’s in the hole, he doesn’t seem to care.

I’ve seen 2 Albatrosses in 45+ years of golf. One by a really good player (wasn’t me) and one by a schmuck.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Saw a 3 man scramble tee off on their first hole and the best shot was a whiff. Leadoff man whiffed it. 2nd tee shot went right OB, Anchor man thinned it into a bench up by the ladies tee and the ball ricocheted over their heads backwards. I thought that was pretty weird.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

I played in a 2 man best ball tournament in 2014 with my usual partner and two guys who were around 30 handicap and playing in their first tournament. On the first tee they both said they were nervous and asked for us to make sure that they were doing everything right. Really nice guys. Anyway one guy teed up with a hybrid of some sort and swung just hitting the top half of the ball which screamed off and hit one of the wooden tee blocks that we used to have caroming back behind the tee. He wondered what to do next and we said that the ball is still in play so he could hit his second shot. Smack, duplicate shot that hit the same tee block and came back pretty much to the original tee. Pretty crazy huh? Yeah, well the real crazy part is that he did it again hitting the same tee block and rolling back towards him. I have seen some weird stuff on the golf course but that one takes the cake. The odds of hitting one of those tee blocks 3 times in a row so square that the ball comes straight back have to be astronomical... I wish that I had video of it!

My home course has a tower right between the 5th and 9th tee boxes which are adjacent to each other. I’ve hit the electrical wires enough times I’ve lost count. I did manage the old twice in a row wire connection on the 5th hope as well like OP. It’s amazing how small of a target I can hit while still missing entire greens from 100 yards!

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

Playing with a buddy on a cold day long ago in my younger years. We're walking down the fairway of a long par 4 arguing about me carrying a 7 wood. We get to my ball, 205 out. I hit the 7 wood to about 5 feet and give him a look, like take that. After a quick argument the bet becomes simple. He can hit it better. So he drops his ball and hits my 7 woods. Shanks it. We watch it go into the trees deep before hearing the first knock of the ball hitting a tree. I laugh it off and walk with pride up to the green knowing he's buying mcdonalds after the round (our usual bet). Get to the green and there's 3 balls on the green. His original, my ball 5 feet, and his challenge ball hovering over the lip of the cup. Luckiest bounce out ever.

• Like 1

@azoufan I will have to look again for the life of me i can not remember the power lines on hole 8 at willow. I play there quite often actually... I am so dumbfounded right now about it. Guess i have never really payed that much attention to it because they have not been in play for me or my playing partners..

You win. That is really funny! I can only imagine what everyone around the tee box thought after this group is playing 2 from the tee deck as the best shot.You know, there's a lot of tee marker shots here which is surprising to me as I thought this rarely happened. However, last year I admit I did hit one. I was teed up close to it at a muni and thought "hmm maybe I should move." I didn't and hit it. I don't even know where it went I just heard the crack-crack, impact off the face and impact off the tee block virtually indistinguishable. I looked at my playing partners and immediately asked where it went. They pointed to the busy street behind me and I heard the distinct sound of ball bouncing under an over pass. Never in my almost 30 years of playing have I done this or seen, and I hope I never do again. So embarrassing.

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

That is amazing!!!

I don't know if this really compares, but i have a similar story that given our indexes is just baffling too....I was playing in a 4-man Vegas last year with myself (0.0) , one my of my good friends who was a 3.2 and two other players who are both 10-12 indexes. We were playing a 350yd hole that has a creek running through it horizontally at 100yds, so you just want to hit a nice 220-230yd shot. We didn't think much about order because we just wanted to put one in the fairway.

I went first and topped one about 60yds down the fairway. The 3.2 index pulled his a bit left and ended up stymied behind a tree, the next guy sh*nked his and the 4th guy hit out of bounds right

So as a good foursome, we played our second from about 290 out. Managed to save par and actually were the low round that day with a 60

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

LOL

I came in this thread to leave my story and I see the OP's story is a powerline story just like mine.

Maybe hitting the power lines isn't such a feat after all.

There is a course I play in W VA. Sleepy Hollow. I went out a single one day and soon paired up with a threesome. They were really nice guys and come to find out they have been die hard regulars at the course for quite some time. We came up on this one hole that had power lines out from the tee box. I've played this course a few times a yr. for over 30 yrs. but I never knew the ruling if you hit the power lines. Knowing these guys were members there I asked them "what is the rule if you hit the power lines. I've heard different rules" One of the guys jumps in and says " oh it doesn't really matter. I've played here regularly for 35 yrs. and I've never seen anyone hit the lines" Another guy chimes in "you tee it up again and get a do over. I never seen anyone hit the lines either" So I tee up and proceed to hit a power line. Everyone is laughing and making jokes. I tee it up again and hit the power line again. The way these guys were acting you would have thought I had just got a hole in one or something.

The more I think about this, I'd have to assume the course has changed a LOT since then. As I recall, they looked like old wooden pole power lines that you'd see on a farm. Couldn't have been 20-30 feet off the ground at the time. That satellite view makes it look like proper, modern metal tower supported power lines. Might be so high nowadays that you'd never look twice at them. I haven't been around Willow Lakes in quite some time.

On a separate note, thanks for reminding me that I'm old, haha.

• 3 weeks later...

Not really weird but unusual. A couple of years ago my wife and I are on the 14th tee at our golf club. It is a par three that runs downhill from the tee and there is a pond in front of the green. My wife asks what club she should hit and I tell her to use her 5 hybrid. She says it’s too much club and says she should hit her 6 hybrid. I say no-she won’t clear the pond with the 6. So she hits the 5 but since she thinks it’s too much club, she slows her downswing. Of course, the ball goes into the pond. I tell her to hit again but take a full swing. Naturally, the ball goes into the hole for a par. Since that time she has made 2 legitimate holes-in-one. She now usually listens to me.

You've morphed from Young Tommy to Old Tom .. nice

EvnRoll ER9

I have been in a scramble twice where the high guy was a 3 cap and we did this >>

Fall event. First time, wicked cross wind of 30mph. 230 creek to carry, woods both sides of fairway that are lateral swamps ... (Two day money scrambles). 1st time all 3 guys have their tee shots blown way into woods way right .. I tee off with a 7 iron .. hits the cart path 4 times and goes in creek, we get up and dwn from 235 for par

Another year, same 4 guys, opening hole day 2 is similar to above (runs right beside it) No wind though. 230 carry over creek, lateral woods right and OB left. Our best drive was a snipe smother hook 2 feet into the long grass fronting the hazard and near the foot bridge. We have 180 in (instead of 70 yards or so like normal). One of us hits it to 3 feet, we make birdie, birdie all the remaining holes and win 7 grand for going -18 day 2 Calcutta

EvnRoll ER9

This one is for the back-to-back-to-back category.

Played with a friend at a muni that's old and lined with large trees that overhang the fairways on nearly every hole. The rough is a bit "different" at that course. Only about 2", not thick, but "leafy". If you get in it, the ball goes to the bottom and is often completely obscured.

On a long par 4, my friend peels his drive right. Hits one of the trees about 220 out. Gave it the full search and no dice. He drops a second in the "about here" area and hits this ball directly into a huge limb 30yds ahead. Again, we couldn't find it after tromping through this short rough. Try again. Slices the third, hits another tree about 60yds up. Another long search, no ball. Good thing nobody was behind us.

Three swings, three solid strikes on the trees, three lost balls ... a trifecta of sorts. What can you say (other than something encouraging) after watching that? I think this was the round he quit on #14.