Tourstriker Planemate

"it seems to promote more of a lineal backswing versus making a turn & loading the right side"

In order to get width and depth of arms on backswing PLUS a good hip turn, you will feel a great deal of tension on the cord. You're working muscles and stretching in ways you're not accustomed to doing. I might suggest attaching the cord higher on the shaft (closer to your grip) initially so there is less tension at the top. As you progress with the backswing, just lower the attachment in gradual increments.

After several months of considering the PM, I decided to pull the trigger and order one. I also ordered mine used via Amazon. Delivery is projected Apr 30 - May 5. My main problem is EE and failure to fully rotate. I've tried every recommended fix for EE that's on YouTube and but nothing worked. Also got lessons from my golf pro and he couldn't get me fixed. Hopefully PM will help me with EE and rotation.

EE is an effect not a cause. The problem is not that you EE (and EE can cause the hips to stall). Maybe the planemate will help but what would really help is to identify the cause. If your pro could not identify the cause I would move on.

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I agree with your comment and I believe my EE is primarily caused by incorrect (or lack of) rotation of my lower body. I can rotate correctly at times with my wedges and short irons when I specifically focus on it to the exclusion of everything else. However, I rarely rotate correctly with longer clubs. As an arm swinger since I started playing golf at age 39 (I'm now 69 with an 18 HCP), I tend to start straightening my arms and extending them from my body in the DS which obviously causes me to lose my spine angle. The result, at least for me, is to flail at the ball to try and save the swing. When my timing is on, I can hit the ball fairly well but when it is off, things can sometimes get very ugly.

I spent a lot of time over the last year working on my right elbow thinking that might be a magic fix. That helped with the short irons especially when I rotated well. When I could get the right elbow and the rotation working properly, I hit the ball better than I ever have. But I could not do consistently, especially on the course. And I rarely did it well with longer clubs.

So my main reason for trying the PM is to see if I can learn to rotate properly and more consistently. I also have a tendency to take the club too far inside on my BS which is a problem I have to fix over and over again. The PM should help with that as well. I'm not particularly interested in flattening my swing but if that turns out to be a positive by-product of training with the PM, that's a plus.

I don't expect the PM to be a magic fix and completely change my game. But I'm retired, have plenty of time on my hand, and my local course is still open despite the "stay-at-home", social distancing environment we're currently in. I can't think of a better project to do than tinkering with my golf swing with a new toy.

here is a good way to find out what ails you and how the planemate might work into improvement. Self diagnosis of the golf swing fails us all.

and at $50 quite the bargain. I’ve seen Monte since 2014 and can attest to his ability to quickly get to your main issues and work with you to improve.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Planemate update:

I started with a homemade version as mine was on order. It was simply a connector from Home Depot and a short exercise band connected to my belt loop. I did allot of the day 1 and day 2 protocols in my basement with wedge. I added additional 7-day protocols once I could get outside when the weather was still poor so I’d say I mostly did the day 1 and 2 protocols.

i found that when outside hitting balls I had some success but sometimes I hit allot of topped shots. The same thing happened with the Power Package product last year. Lots of success and then drastic failure that I did not understand why/how it was happening. So good and then so bad. As a result, I got stuck between swings and had a very poor year from a quality of play perspective.

Once the weather began to improve This spring I mostly did Advanced Protocol 5. I do it without hitting balls and with hitting balls. I do it with short band on wedges (50 or 54) and long green band on mid irons (7, 8 and 5). I’ve done it with and without hitting balls.

It took awhile but i now know where those top shots come from. I tend to let my head / shoulders outrace my turn moving my ground contact point. As long as I don’t let my shoulders/head go too soon, the contact is pretty solid. Sadly, I’ve yet to do it on the course due to covid but I’m hoping to be back on the course in early May.

That stated, the full release Is a struggle so I’m certain I’m losing some distance potential. That is the point once the ball is gone and you let the club go up and over your forward shoulder. I’m not shorter than I was before but I feel adding the release should allow some distance gain.

i would say the Power Package is a similar product that trains a similar turn but I don’t feel the vertical drop into the slot with the power package. I hadn’t used the power package in awhile but I hope to cycle it in as getting to the cups on the follow thru should help the release issue I noted above. I now believe the head/shoulders going to fast in the downswing is what was causing my issues with the power package product.

All in all.... I think both are great aids but neither are fool proof so it takes time. Both, if used properly will provide benefit for most and both products complement each other. If I had to choose only one, I’d go planemate.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Just ordered my planemate! Been reading through the thread and there is a bunch of great information. A couple years ago I had a my handicap down below 2 but since getting married and having a baby my practice time has been reduced greatly and my game has suffered. I've never done any lessons and due to time with my work and family I wont be able to get a lesson anytime soon. I decided that the planemate would be a great way to practice at home and hit into my net on days I cant get to the range and even then I cant take it to the course which was a great selling point.

See my previous reply. Without seeing your swing, I’d bet you simply start with your head/shoulders too soon.

Stand the club up on backswing. Let it fall/flatten at the top and then drive your rear shoulder towards the ball and let it pass under your chin.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Now hitting full shots with the PM with the longer green band. Never hit the ball straighter. I also noticed that my follow through position is so much better, long extended arms to the left, which somehow I could never achieve before. Probably the PM makes me rotate better.

I also asked Jake Hutt if he liked the PM and he replied: "Yes, it is sick!"

I like the Tour Striker thought of “pressure shift” as opposed to “weight shift”. Thinking of it as a pressure shift made a huge difference for me.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

My instructors have me work with it from time to time. Initially used it to get my backswing/takeaway straightened out. One thing I really like about it is I can then work on something else, i.e, legwork, without worrying about what I was working on.

Now one thing they did say is that it works for flattening but on full swings it tends to make people get flippy while using it.

Been locked in the house for 5 weeks and did a few protocols over that time. Nothing daily, but did a few.

Courses in South Florida opened today, so I played a round.

Did not think if anything besides my OLD swing and shot a garbage 47 the front 9.

Hole 10 on my chip I remembered the "umbrella" and to shallow coming down with the wrist.

BOOM.....shot a 40 on the back 9 (with a 7 on hole 10).

My only issue is the backswing going back level (like I am standing as a batter) and. need to get the left shoulder LOW in the backswing.

All I have dont is the short game protocols over the last 2 months.....never used the long band (yet).

Totally agree with a lot of the above comments about posture and shoulder tilt. That was a big lightbulb moment for me with the planemate versus where I was before using it.

Right now I use my PM about once or twice a week just for swings in the house. Staying in posture made all the difference for me as well as improving my downswing sequencing.

We to TrumpDoral for a round today. Side note its beautiful out there, played Golden Palm).

If anyone can help, would appreciate it.......

I had a fade today with killer distance. Used to a draw and cant figure out WHY the ball was fading to the right.

Wasn't a slice at all, just the ball falling right.

Would like to know why and how to fix and/or hit on demand.

If I am doing something wrong, please let me know.....HELP!!!

I very recently started using this even though with everything going on it’s been on the back burner on a shelf. I play pretty decent level I guess, might shoot in the high 70’s to low 80’s usually. I typically play a draw but from seeing video I come in steep and can manipulate it with my hands I suppose. Anyway I started using the planemate about a week ago in the backyard and it’s helped my takeaway for sure. The biggest thing I’ve noticed is in transition how much the club is pulled down to shallow and how much pressure it puts on my shoulder and right elbow on the way down. It caught me off guard how wrong I’ve probably been swinging all these years and gotten away with it. I’m a natural lefty taught right handed so this feels different to me. I was using a 7 iron with the long green band to really feel the club shallow. Once I got my initial takeaway fixed, I pretty much tried to get the club as umbrella like as possible..although feel isn’t real I can tell it’s better than before...

I hit some amazing drives the last two rounds in terms of start line with a slight draw versus my usual big sweeping hook. I haven’t videotaped anything but it feels different, actually.. easier to swing now if I do it right. I did get those ghost arms the first few times using it, that was strange! Irons were great too, no complaints. Probably need to spend time with pitching and chipping 30 yds in of course.

Anyone else notice have the same feels on the right elbow shoulder difference when you let the club shallow?

As someone who used to draw (hook) the ball via EE and too much tilt away from the target, it can fade once you start pivoting better and steepening your body more (ie more vertical shaft in the backswing, left shoulder more down, left shoulder/hip down in transition etc). This is where shallowing it out with the wrist angles where the shaft lays down and the band loosens really starts to play a role. Really an extremely difficult part to learn and ingrain since you basically cannot do it if you don't pivot correctly to give your arms the room they need to work properly. And you typically cannot pivot properly if you steepen the shaft early. Monte does an excellent job explaining this in his efficient swing series. The advance protocol videos do it as well, although not as comprehensive in terms of feels/drills to find what works best.

Whoa, for anyone who has had their PlaneMate for awhile and stalled out progress wise, I highly recommend throwing the red band on there!

Getting some really nice feelings with it. Felt like the green band kind of nudged me in the general right direction, whereas the red one forces me into the right positions. Won't budge if you try to cheat it!

I'm on the younger/larger side, fyi.