2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Bandon as a single with non-golfing spouse

exgolfpro

First of all, I'm sorry to start another Bandon thread when there are about 100 already. But I am looking at taking a trip to Bandon next year and wanted a place to ask questions and collect some ideas.

Over the past 7 years, my wife and I have gone to a lot of nice courses. She is pushing me to go to Bandon Dunes this next summer and I am looking forward to it. I am a single, but she walks along and enjoys it as much (maybe more) than I do. So, my first question is, has anyone taken a non-golfing spouse along to Bandon? Would she be allowed to walk along? This has never been a problem anywhere else we have gone, but not sure about here. Secondly, are the lodging choices something that a spouse would be fine with? It does not have to be fancy, but clean with nice shower would be great. Last lodging question for now....I know staying on site gets you some perks as far as price and the ability to plan your trip better, but are there any 'nice' places to stay off site?

Next question has to do with timing and the daily winds. I've read in numerous places that the winds arent too bad in the morning and then get pretty strong in the afternoons, is this the case in early summer months like May-June? That is likely the time we will be going. One final question for now. I've read that replay rounds are half price, does this include playing one of the other courses or is it only the course you just played in the morning? (I ask this because at Whistling Straits, etc you can play any of the other courses for replay rate as long as it is the same day.) Thanks in advance for any comments.

Bandon is very accommodating to walk-alongs. No worries about that at all. There are also several miles of separate walking trails onsite, in case she gets tired of watching you play.

Rooms onsite are better (IMO) than pretty much anything in town (albeit more $$). Staying onsite has a lot of advantages, namely the ability to reserve tee times (even as a single) when you make your reservation. Also, you don't have to drive anywhere. Restaurants, amenities (sauna/jacuzzi, locker rooms, workout area, etc) are all in the Lodge or very close (e.g., massage facility). If you want to dine at Pacific, it's a short shuttle ride away. Being a single gives you the ultimate flexibility for second/third rounds, as you can almost always find a slot open for your afternoon, it just might not be on the course you had in mind. Just ask at the pro shop of whichever course you are finishing on (they all can tell you the status of any of the courses) about which course has an opening for the afternoon, then hop on the shuttle and you are playing in ten minutes. Green fees are also a lot less in high season for resort guests.

Summer winds generally are less in the mornings and pick up significantly in the afternoons. Generally.

All replays are half price, regardless of which course you just played, on the same day. That's for a full course - the Preserve is not half price if it's your second round. All third rounds (including the Preserve) are free. One discovery we are all coming to is that you can play the Preserve for your first round, then play a big course half-price for your second, and a third big course for free in the same day (and you'll have the daylight to do so in the summer).

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Spud3, lots of great information there and I agree with you 100% that Bandon is very accommodating to non-golfing companions.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I did have a problem at the resort trying to follow your last suggestion (Play Preserve first, big course second for half price, third round free). It was a few years ago so maybe the policy has changed since then. A staff member on the driving range was actually the person who recommended that to me, saying it was the best value to play as much golf as you can for the least amount of money.

Well, I played Preserve first for $100, then tried to play Trails for 1/2 price and was informed that this was not the policy. I even told them that a staff member was the one who told me to do it, and they asked me who the staff member was so they could inform him not to recommend this to anyone anymore. Long story short, I paid the $275 or whatever to play Trails that day, though they did comp me the $5 for the Rick-Sha. That was as close as I was getting to 1/2 price, they weren't budging.

Not the end of the world, but it was definitely the first and only time I paid $100 for the Preserve, it's fun but I just don't personally feel it's worth $100. However, if they have changed the policy (this was in 2016 or 17), I would certainly revisit that.

Thanks for the input. I was going off a few posts in other threads that had said they were able to use the Preserve as the first full round, then half price for the next.

If it is possible to do that, I wouldn't be surprised if the resort restricts the policy to exclude the Preserve as the first full price round. They would be losing a lot of revenue once it became common practice.

OP: call the resort and they'll give you the factual details. Don't rely on some anonymous dudes on a golf chat board...

OP- I've brought my non golfing wife along on multiple trips. She will for sure be allowed to walk along with you and take pictures and whatnot. There's also a pretty extensive series of hiking trails on site for her if she's into that. For lodging the rooms everywhere are fine with a spouse. You'll probably want to pick based on bed size. If you can live with two of you in a queen size, then the singles at the Lodge are fine. If you want a bit more space the single kings at the Inn are also good. The Lily Pond rooms have two queen beds and overall square footage is the largest for two person units, just depends on if you want to spend the extra money. My wife and I usually get the King rooms at the Inn, but we're both tall so we want the big bed.

Yes it's windier in the afternoon, but might as well learn to embrace the wind, because it's rarely not windy.

For Nice off property lodging, I was quite pleased with ‘Sunset oceanfront lodging’ in town. So long as you get a room on the ocean side of the road. The view was amazing, a lob wedge from the water, and just a gorgeous setting. The only downside is the interiors are a bit dated, clean though and nice people. Wooden stairs lead down to beach which is a nice walk at low tide. Not much dining around so I always ate before leaving property. Staying off property You won’t be able to book tee times far out but being a single you shouldn’t have trouble.

So, it looks like we just got one step closer to taking this trip. Last month, we took a trip to Pinehurst, just as the Corona virus thing was starting. Because we changed our plans, we drove home instead of flying and now have a credit to use with Southwest airlines. Southwest has not pushed the date we must use our credits by, all the way back to Sept 2022. So, we will likely use them to take this Bandon trip next May/June. The only downside is, this forces us to fly into Portland instead of Eugene, so a much longer drive. But, we will make it work. Thinking of flying into Portland late on a Saturday evening and driving to Eugene. Then getting up Sunday and driving the rest of the way. Considering playing 6 rounds in 4 days, doing 18-36-18-36. This will give us a little downtime to explore the beaches and to get into town once or twice. At least that is the plan right now. Will probably call Bandon this weekend to see if I can set up a room/golf.

That's a good plan. The extra drive from PDX to Eugene isn't bad (about 1.5-2 hours from the airport to Eugene - not much traffic on Saturday evening), and you're renting a car anyway. Then it's 2.5 hours from Eugene to Bandon (another option is to drive the extra hour to Florence and stay there). 18 on the day of arrival is a good idea (if you get there early, hit up the range and Shorty's), and the alternating 18/36 days works very well for us. One nice thing about Southwest is there's not an extra charge for the clubs to come along. That's if you're not using ShipSticks, anyway.

Try to schedule each big course at least once, then your call on which ones get doubled up. Ideally, plan those so you get a round in the morning then the other in the afternoon. Most of the courses (possible exception: Trails, as it is mostly up in the trees) can play very differently according to the wind, which can shift 180 from morning to evening.

Don't forget a round on the Preserve. It's a hoot, only takes about 90 minutes, and there's the possibility of your next round being half price (need to confirm that with the resort, though).

You'll have a blast, and your wife will, too!

My wife joined me at Bandon for a 4 day trip in the late spring of 2018, she isnt much of a golfer, but she has seen me go at least once a year for 7 years and I think she wanted to experience it herself. We combined it with a coastal Oregon trip, and spent a lot of days in surf towns. We booked it about 10 months in advance, and she ended up being 6.5 months pregnant when we were there (surprise!). Luckily, she absolutely loved to walk when pregnant, so Bandon ended up being a perfect spot.

The resort and staff were beyond amazing to her throughout the stay. She would normally sleep through the morning 18, and come out for the afternoon 18. Some days she didn't want to go out for the full 18 and they had a marshal drive her out to wherever I was on the course in a cart, and they gave her a phone number to call and they would come get her when she wanted to go back in. She also walked every trail at the resort, and loved having a tea and sitting at the labyrinth.

I asked her about a year later if she was happy she went, her response "I will go back with you anytime you want".

Bandon staff never fails to amaze me, but that trip was just above and beyond.

Playing the Preserve with her at twilight was one of my all time favorite golf moments.

Just thought I would update everyone as to my plans. I called to Bandon this past weekend and scheduled by trip. We will be flying in to Portland on June 5, 2021 and flying back out June 12, 2021.

Here is how we are set up currently, please chime in if you see I am making a mistake of some sort. We have to fly in to Portland as we have a credit to use from our last trip, and the closest airport for southwest is Portland.June 5, fly into Portland (land about 5:45pm), get rental car and drive to Eugene to spend the night.June 6, get up and drive rest of the way to Bandon Dunes. 2:20pm-Sheep RanchJune 7, only 18 holes this day so we have some time to hit the town of Bandon or walk the trails. 10:10AM-Pacific DunesJune 8, 8:20AM at Old Macdonald, 2:20PM at Bandon TrailsJune 9 only 18 scheduled, but could add another course or go into town in the AM. 1:10PM at Bandon DunesJune 10, 8:40 at Bandon Dunes, 2:40 at Pacific DunesJune 11, sleep in and then drive back to PortlandJune 12, Fly out of portland at 10AM.

I know this is spread out with a lot of down time, but our goal is not to pack in as much golf as possible, we like a little time away from the course as well. Even though june 10 is booked with Bandon/Pacific, I plan on actually playing whichever of the 5 courses, I liked the best.

Only comments I would make is to try to switch out one of the 18 hole BD rounds with Pacific. Then you'll have played all five courses before you make the call on which ones to play on the 10th. Also add a trip around the Preserve. It's worth doing at least once, maybe on an 18 hole day. You can add that if you feel like playing a bit more.

Other than that, looks like a really nice plan!

+1 on spud3 comment (and he really knows the place, lucky Oregon residents). You will quickly find your favorite and it will evolve over time. I favor Pacific, followed closely by Trails. Bandon is great, I think 4-6 are my favorite three holes on the planet. Even with how great those holes are, I would almost always play Pacific twice rather than Bandon twice.

If you are only planning on playing 18 on 6/10, I think you'll have to cancel the other tee time 21 days out or they will charge you for it. One of our guys hurt his knee on the last day of our trip and only played 18 of the 36 and they would not give him his money back. The best they would offer is a gift card for the rounds value that could be used in the gift shop (which wasn't a problem).

Curious if this sounds right to the regulars? But from my experience, you won't be able to choose the round you want the day before with out a financial hit if that matters to you.

I could not figure out what you guys were saying about playing Pacific Dunes earlier in the trip. But then I realized that the typed schedule I put on here was wrong. On June 7, I had typed in BANDON DUNES as my round for the day....but this was incorrect. I have Pacific Dunes scheduled. My mistake, sorry. I have since gone back and edited my post to show Pacific Dunes on 6/7 which is correct.

Typically if there's an opening on another course and you want to switch, they'll let you switch, as long as you're paying one full price round that day. For example, you have 2 rounds booked, but one is pushed back due to a frost delay or something, you'll be able to cancel that one, and then pay full price for your replay round. Or optionally, pay for the cancelled round, getting the voucher (gift card) and then just use it for next round. The main reason to book rounds so far in advance is to make sure you get the tee times you want, but as a single you have a fair amount of flexibility to find openings.

As for the OP's schedule, if it was me I'd play 18 on that last day and then drive back to Portland. It's a fairly easy day. Oh, and Old Mac and Trails back to back is nickname the death march. It's tough, but if you regularly walk 18 it's doable.

• 1 month later...

Great thread! I am actually new to the forum and looking for insight into a trip I am planning for September. My wife (non-golfer) and I are looking at staying at an Air BnB in Bandon, but I am now considering asking availability for a room at The Inn. We will be staying for three nights, first night we get in late, so I will probably try to play 54 holes (36/18)...may be able to get away with 36/36 if my wife is up for it.

Any course recommendations (3 vs. 4) or which one for each day?

Thanks!

Great thread! I am actually new to the forum and looking for insight into a trip I am planning for September. My wife (non-golfer) and I are looking at staying at an Air BnB in Bandon, but I am now considering asking availability for a room at The Inn. We will be staying for three nights, first night we will get in late, so I will probably try to play 54 holes (36/18)...may be able to get away with 36/36 if my wife is up for it.

Any course recommendations or which one for each day?

Thanks!

Definitely try to play all five courses while you're there. 36/36/18 is doable if your flight leaves late enough on getaway day. IMO, the ranking of most affected by wind (thus morning round preferred) is Sheep Ranch, Old Mac, Pacific, Bandon and Trails. If you can make it happen, do Old Mac and Sheep Ranch in the morning and Bandon and Pacific in the afternoon on the 36-hole days, and Trails on the last day (it's the hardest walk and close to The Inn).

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (34)

Thanks for your reply and info; I reached out to Bandon to check availability - had originally planned a trip to SD in a few weeks to play Torrey, but convinced the wife to postpone that trip and switch to Bandon/Portland instead. Hopefully they have availability at The Inn the dates I am looking at.

We would be arriving late the night of September 1st - is it worth staying at the resort or at a cheaper option in town? We'd end up checking in the 2nd and checking out on the 4th depending on if we decide if it's worth an extra night at The Inn or just heading over there early on the 2nd.

My main question was which courses on which days recommendation based on wind - so thank you very much for that! Absolutely 100% helps building out our schedule. My wife will likely walk the morning rounds and relax at The Inn in the afternoons, reading a book and drinking a glass of wine.

Keeping my fingers crossed it works out! I was able to play in Scotland and Ireland in March, so I am expecting my luck to run out soon haha. It'd be our first trip to the West Coast and certainly a lifetime bucket list trip to Bandon.

Always happy to help a fellow lefty. I've never stayed off property but definitely would on September 1 in your case because it doesn't make sense to pay ~$300 when you're just going to sleep for a few hours. (There are lots of mentions of the local motels in this Northwest subforum.) Do you know what time you'll have to leave on September 4 (so you can figure out of you can get in the last 18)?

WITB

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (34)

Nice to get advice from a fellow lefty, cheers!

We're flying into Portland the afternoon (I have some credits through Southwest) on the 1st then renting a car and making the trip down to Bandon, probably arriving mid/late evening. Definitely think we'll stay off the resort that night and make our way over in the morning; I asked Bandon what usual check-in time is, it could work out so after the first round my wife would be able to go get checked in and relax.

On the 4th, we were just planning on leaving mid-morning or around Noon to drive back up to Portland where we'll stay for two nights before flying back home on the 6th. Certainly a possibility of sneaking in another 18 on the 4th. It's just a matter of how much golf am I able to get in without pushing the boundaries with my wife too much, haha. Looking at rates with replay definitely makes me want to do 36/36 for two days, but I don't want to pass up the opportunity to miss any of the courses. Never know if I'd get an opportunity to visit again.

It's become almost impossible for me to "rank" my level of interest course vs. course just based of reading others stories and posts.

If you find that you can't play on September 4, there's another way to get in all five courses. Play Sheep Ranch then Trails one day and Old Mac then Pacific the other (specifically this as Trails and Old Mac is the toughest 36-hole walk). At the end of each day, tack on one of the nines at Bandon. Any holes after 36 are free and Bandon is the only course that connects at the turn.

WITB

Edel McKenzie (34)

Such good info that I wouldn't have thought of or known about - thank you!!

I put in a reservation request online but probably won't hear back until tomorrow; I'll give them a call in the afternoon if needed. Honestly can't wait to see if they have availability.

Definitely will go the route of staying in town the first night then heading over to The Inn for two nights. Would save some money that I can dump in the pro shop later on!

Do you recommend playing The Preserve also? I may try and sneak it in the first night, depending on how tired I am and what time we get in - imagine the pro shop will be closed so may have to skip it or try later.

Appreciate all of your input!