SkyGolf whiffs on Covid-19 relief for customers

Contacted SkyGolf yesterday to see if they were offering any relief to its subscribers due to course closures. Up here in Canada, it’s bad enough a one-year membership is only good for about 7 months of play — if we are lucky — due to winter. But as many companies are offering relief to customers impacted by a Covid-19, SkyGolf is silent. So for many of you, your subscriptions are running but you cannot use your SkyCaddie. SkyGolf should be extending subscriptions as a gesture of goodwill to the thousands of their customers who are not permitted to play during this pandemic. If you agree, I hope you will echo this message on your social media channels.

Another reason why I dumped my Skycaddie years ago! Found them not user friendly when trying to download stuff and didn't like paying every year/3. Garmin or rangefinder for me.

• Like 1

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

DCmid: I understand the complexity nationwide. Perhaps a better solution (and good PR) would be to extend all memberships by two months to subscribers, and some incentive for new subscribers. Then they don't look so cold.

I remember when I worked at a course after retiring they re-designed all the bunkers and moved a few teeboxes around. I worked there two years after this project and never saw Skycaddie people show up. Their claim to fame was actual boots on the ground measuring everything thus providing best yardages. What's the procedure when a course modifies their layout? Do they contact Skygolf or are Skygolf subscribers supposed to place a request to come remeasure? Does Skygolf somehow monitor permits that golf courses apply for? I used to have a Skycaddy and dumped it after the first year because I didn't like the subscription concept. I think early on they may have been the only GPS so they could do this. Now with all the competition and use of satellite imagery there are many options. I have a Bushnell and if a course changes anything impacting distances I simply contact them make a request and (I believe) they say it will be updated in two weeks or less. Then I just download the new data - takes maybe a minute. And no fees.

^^Yes, this is what I feel they should be doing^^... Would go along way in my book from a customer serivce perspective.

• Like 1

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

A decent portion of the country is still open for golf, I really dont understand what we are talking about. Would it look good? Sure - but man, we are literally talking about a few dollars here, heck the basic nationwide membership is a COUPLE of dollars per month. If thats going to make or break you, then golf probably isnt the best sport to be playing in the first palce. As far as doing the right thing in a national crisis? This is a golf company and we are talking about an extreme luxury item. I dont see toilet paper companies giving away their product for free and thats something people actually need - not a complete luxury item.

So we've gotten to a place now where not giving stuff for free means you're being cold? Sorry, I just cant buy into that. I think we're really losing sight of things here.

But you bring up a good point - why do they charge people who play in Florida the same as people who play in Alaska? Does that make them cold and insensitive to the fact that some people have a 12 month season and some have a 5 month season?

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I agree...it does sound great in theory to give things away

But folks playing golf are playing because they can afford to. On the other hand, a business cutting off their revenue stream can affect people’s jobs. Their revenue has most likely already been negatively affected from subscription cancellations from customers who are out of work.

I am an avid Skygolf subscriber (10+ years). This was my decision knowing there are other options out there. The membership model is always a point of conjecture on WRX and there will be folks that like it and those that won't. Arccos is learning the hard way that just selling the equipment is not enough. Bottom line is skygolf has always been a subscription service and they have never wavered and their companies future is based on membership income. I don't know your situation so I can't say I understand and won't. Just like all things you purchase it has to provide you value and if it doesn't then move on. The company still has to provide value as well to its employees along with customers. Today, you can still call their customer service and get answers. Maps and software still need to be updated and R&D is still going on(remember golf is being played in other parts of the world). So if they gave you money back something has to give....that may be another persons livelihood or reduced service which I'm sure you would have issue with as well if that affected YOU. They have made the choice to keep the business going and delivering the products and services that are promised to their subscribers. If they fail to deliver the promises of the subscription then you have every right to call them to the table but if they are holding up their end and its just your situation (and yes there are others like you) causing the issue that's not fair. You knew your golf season was limited when you signed up so getting less than 12 months use out of a subscription was part of the decision you made to sign up (and if it wasn't then that's also on you). Use them or don't, I don't think anyone here cares but don't drag them through the mud because they won't agree to an entitlement you feel you deserve.

• Like 3

I’m not saying cut off their revenue stream but extending people’s membership a month or two would make good sense. The existing customer is more likely to renew their agreement if Skycaddie shows a bit of sympathy during this crisis. Plus word of mouth might bring in new customers. Is it required - no; but neither is the customer required to stay with Skycaddie. Looking at all the ads in my area (most national ads) I see many corporations loosening up restrictions for the customer during these hard times. No payments for 6 months, interest free credit, free delivery, etc. With different states deciding to have courses open Skycaddie having a national plan of extending service a month or two would probably be the easiest to administer as even states with open courses probably have attendance way down simply out of safety. At the end of the day however everything is a business decision.

I’m not saying cut off their revenue stream but extending people’s membership a month or two would make good sense. 

Sorry but extending people's memberships for a month or two is exactly that - its cutting their revenue stream to $0 for those months that ordinarily people would have paid for.

If someone doesnt stay with SkyCaddie over them not giving a $4 or $5 credit on their bill to cover a couple of months service - my guess is they did not really want to stay with them in the first place or support their company. Heck I'm likely to stay with Taylormade as a customer even though they arent giving me free golf balls - and I've lost more than usual in the last month or so.

BTW I think you are comparing apples to cinder blocks here. Most companies that are offering payment forgiveness are doing so to recognize some sort of extreme financial hardship on the part of their customers and its usually for high dollar items like car payments. Giving people a few dollars credit for a luxury golf item certainly does not fall into that category in my mind - completely different.

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

So if a company has a sale that's cutting off a portion of their revenue stream? Granted their bottom line takes a slight hit but this is a strategy. Not much different than extending a Skycaddie contract a month or two. I consider this as a company making an investment in future business and valuing current customers. And this junk about golf being a luxury and so golfers can afford to take a hit is a bit thin. With that mentality Mercedes Benz should never offer a sale on their cars.

I see & understand your point, but I don't believe you can expect all companies to follow thru.

I never used Skycaddie because you got to pay/subscribe. Why would I do this when there are many other options (devices) that are subscription free or I can go the laser range finder route. So, at the beginning, for whatever reasons, you decided that paying subscription for your device was worth it... them not handing out some sort of relief due to the pandemic, will it be enough for you not to re-new when it expires?

To be clear I haven't been a Skycaddie customer for over 20 years. And if they decide to give credits, rebates, or any other offers it doesn't matter to me one bit. My only thought is since rare circumstances beyond anyone's control occurred a decent gesture to offer some sort of adjustment would be well received. I would consider this a good-faith gesture toward their customers. If they do this fine. If not fine also. Every business has to make these decisions.

Of course free stuff is always well received, no argument there. I guess I just completely disagree with this mentality from a financial standpoint. Where do you draw the line - does every company have to give away stuff because times are tough or else people will not support them?

And lets be very honest - if a $2.50 credit (their basic plan cost per month) makes a difference in whether you support a company or not - you were probably not a real strong supporter of theirs anyway. Its two dollars and fifty cents per month. Read a bunch of other threads on here, people have been more than happy to make donations or keep paying more to companies right now to keep their employees in business. Heck the gofundme for the Bandon caddies was well into 6 figures last time I checked.

And the more I think about it, I dont see this as a reasonable business strategy in this case. People either support SkyGolf and their business model or you dont. Finding out they gave a couple bucks out here and there is not going to draw new customers in who dont already support their subscription based model.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I haven't been able to use my Ping irons since Covid started, I think I will contact them and see if they will refund me some money for this season.... as a matter of fact my putter hasn't been able to be used either. Scotty, are you busy? I think we need to chat.

This guy.

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

I've had numerous Skycaddie's and a membership pretty much from the beginning and unlike some have been overall quite satisfied.

However, it never even occurred to me that they should basically give me something because of the coronavirus.

It's not their fault and they have a business to run and I'm sure they are experiencing difficulties of their own.

In my opinion there are way too many people looking for a handout and expecting to have something given to them - and not just now although begging for freebies seems to have peaked during the pandemic.

Take it out of your $1200 stimulus check.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Golf is not a necessity. Your SkyCaddie is not a necessity. Our sport and equipment is a luxury.

I haven’t played golf since November and haven’t once thought about asking for any relief.

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been a SkyCaddie user for awhile now...SG2.5, SGXw and have an SX400 arriving today. I never really thought about them charging me for the month that I couldn't play this year. In the end, it's not their fault and if I can't afford the couple bucks that they would credit, then I shouldn't be golfing. For that matter, it irritates me when I see people complain about the subscription fee. It's less than the price of a dozen good golf balls at $29 a year and includes a subscription to GOLF magazine (which I actually use/read). If the cost of a box of balls is going to cause me hardship, then I probably shouldn't be playing golf. No one is forcing anyone to support SkyCaddie so if you don't use the service, that's your choice, but don't complain about the price of a service you've never used or won't use... Be like me complaining about the cost of Ferrari's when I'm never going to buy one or use one.

• Like 1

Been a member of Skygolf for many years and have no regrets. The service they provide for me is great. There service is about the same price as a dozen golf balls every year that are lost in the woods. I live in Florida and use it everyday as golf is open. Great now as you get own cart and now you can play 18 holes in a little over 3 hours.

• 3 weeks later...