New I500/I510?

I feel like it would be out already if that was the case. The Glide 2.0 Stealth came out in February of 2017 and the G710 has been out for about a month now too with a stealth finish.

• Like 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

• 4 weeks later...

Wear: It’s been fine. The finish does get marked up and from what I’ve read around here and online that seems to bother some people. I personally think it’s expected since it is a finish and not bare metal. Black iron finishes wear off and that doesn’t seem to bother folks. Those that know it will bother them tend to stay away.

Forgiveness: Very forgiving. This does come at the expense of some spin and distance consistency but that’s always the trade off with forgiveness. I’m good but not a tour pro so I prefer my mishit getting closer or even on the green over the occasional flier.

Sound/feel: This is where Ping may have missed the mark. Hitting crappy range balls off mats they can sound clicky. However, strike a more premium ball off grass and there’s a lot of improvement. The long irons off a tee always sound hollow and, well, they are hollow so no surprise there. Ping’s main competitors in this market (TaylorMade P790 and PXG 0311) had already gone the foam fill route so not sure why Ping didn’t. From a marketing and sales perspective I think the choice hurt them. Especially since most people test clubs with crappy range balls on mats. All that said a solid strike is a solid strike. Doesn’t matter what you’re hitting the sweet spot will feel good. I’ve never been too caught up in feel/sound of a club so I’m satisfied with the feel of these clubs.

Overall impression: They’re forgiving and meet my performance expectations. As a bonus they are long. I know it’s because of loft jacking and flexible face but my ego loves it! If you can find them at a bargain over P790 or PXG it’s a no brainer IMO. If not then I suggest trying all three and finding what you like best.

Ping would be out of their minds NOT to come up with a foam filled version. They added some eboxy insige to G700 in their new black G710 this past year and that has helped with the sound in the G700 series. They can call it whatever then want as long is we don't see it leaking from the port. P790 set the direction for this but the Ping line has been great except for this sound issue. They even address the crazy loft issue by offering retro and power specs so that the bounce on the iron soles are correct for the lofts which definitely get screwed up by bending. I would LOVE to be able to game the Blueprint for instance which is currently their best blade but if I were to do that I might as well bite the bullet and go with MP-20 and forget about actually scoring in my rounds LOL!! . i500 series should definitely be their version of the MP-20 HMB but with more forgiveness and distance. Their G410 driver is still at the top of the list and for sure G410 are some of the best cavity irons out there!

It would be wonderful if Ping could finally crack this "player distance forged face cavity sound and feel" nut! The clean look of the i500 makes it very attractive!

G410 Plus 10.5
G410  3W 16d
RogueX 17 22 H

Sub70 699Pro 6 - 9

T20 PW
CBX 52 56 60
Newport 2 

Approx 15 rounds of virtual golf (range and simulator) and 5 rounds of par 72 (2 riding, 3 walking), 2 rounds of par 3 (both walking) courses on mine. I'm being specific about the types of rounds for obvious reasons.

Wear..

No issues. Walking 5 rounds with the clubs on my back and 2 rounds with them in a cart, plus a total of almost 20 rounds I've seen almost no wear. Hosel marks and off center hits all gone. Very minimal bag chatter. The only marks I have are from me picking a driving range with my PW hitting balls into targets and not seeing that it was a rock base. My W has some good scratches on the sole. Honestly the worst wear I've seen so far is on the C taper shafts. But they're golf clubs, not art work.

Sound:

huh? Wha? Honestly... I was with my coworker leaving Topgolf one night. Last 2 in the building. Lights off. No music. Big concrete echo chamber. He's a scratch golfer, golf instructor, 10 year old Mizzy forged player. He hit a few balls with my W into the center blue target (150 carry with a flighted ball, so 165ish real life carry?) and that was the first time we noticed a bit of clink to it. I read these posts and expect the club to make the Dumb and Dumber most annoying sound in the world every time you hit a ball. I guess it just depends on how sensitive you are? The only sound I've taken some flack for is walking down the fairway my bag sounds like I'm juggling sacks of nickles.

Forgiveness:

Today I was 210 out. I went 4i. BTW, side note, my previous 4i on my i15s was 185. My i500s have it at about 205ish. I had a clean lie and took a good swing at it. Caught it heel. Not quite hosel and I count my blessings, but knew right away I didnt get it. We got up to the green and I was 5 feet short of the green and still in the fairway. I'm not used to this.

Feel:

I dunno. They feel like any other ping I've played. You swing. Catch it in the grooves and it feels good. The father out from the grooves you get the bigger the reminder you get. Again, reading these replies I'm confused. They make it sound like hitting a right handed forged club with the back of the head left handed swing it's going to feel like a full body shiatzu? If that's what you're expecting this isn't the club for you. It will give you feedback.

Consistency:

They're more consistent than I am.

Over all I am 100% satisfied with them. I'd like to brag that I've ditched 2 strokes off my handicap with them since March, but I give 60% of that credit to my new putter. The BB1f has hit everything within 10 feet and 40% from 25-35 feet. That thing is a beast.

Thank you for the review. That is quite helpful. I currently went with honma tw 747p irons. I do have 90 days to play with them and see if they make a match... if not i have one return for anything of my choice so i still have the i500 in mind. They seem awsome for sure. Love the look. We shall see...

I preordered these and had them in hand prior to release and I’ve put a lot of miles on them. I agree with 4x4 in that the feel criticism is a bit bizarre. Hit them off the toe or the heel and you feel it... kind of what should happen(?)

in my opinion they are a in a class of their own in terms of forgiveness and distance for looks and playability. They spin higher than any of the “distance” players irons i have played, and remarkably close to the more traditionally lofted irons I have played in the past like, including my s55 and 714 ap2.

finish has actually held up really well. Some scuff marks and small discolouring spots but I don’t not baby my clubs. Been in planes and trunks and I think they look pretty darn good.

my one nominal gripe is the blade length is a touch (just a touch) long but the forgiveness trade offs make it hard to complain. It’s telling they are still in the bag. Pre2018 I probably played 2 iron sets per year. The only thing that will make me switch is if the replacements blow me away. If you are a player looking for a bit of distance who can’t stand offset or massive club profiles there is no better set in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I'm just wanting to know if they're going to be replacing the i210 in 2021 and if the Glide 3.0 will have stealth/raw options released later.  I know the Stealth came out in the 2.0s a while after the standard finish ones.

Basically I need to replace almost my entire bag...

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Ping rep called my pro for his appointment last week. He said i500 and i210 will remain in the lineup this cycle. Means we probably will not see any replacements for them until this time next summer. Pretty amazing actually that the i210 is going to be almost a 3 year cycle. Its pushing iBlade/S55 territory. It just shows how good they actually are. Hard to make that club much better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These are the irons I wanted SO BADLY to like, because visually they check every box, EVERY BOX for me at address and in the bag. The extra blade length was appealing as well. The sound and feel killed it, and I'm not usually a "feel" snob, so that's saying something. These were the first irons I've ever hit where every shot felt thin, despite foot spray and flight to indicate the opposite.

Edited by A.Princey
  • Like 4

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

6 hours ago, A.Princey said:

These are the irons I wanted SO BADLY to like, because visually they check every box, EVERY BOX for me at address and in the bag. The extra blade length was appealing as well. The sound and feel killed it, and I'm not usually a "feel" snob, so that's saying something. These were the first irons I've ever hit where every shot felt thin, despite foot spray and flight to indicate the opposite.

You're right on Prince! I thought the I500's would be the perfect iron for me. I hit them when I got fitted for irons for almost 45 minutes with different shafts. You've explained the feel the best I've heard. Every shot felt like I hit it thin.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

8 hours ago, A.Princey said:

Yup, once I went to the I-200 the feel returned. It's too bad because the 500s are gorgeous. I hope Ping finds the answer in any new model

10 hours ago, A.Princey said:

Like the others above, I couldn't agree more. The feel on these is literally so bad it made all the other things they did right irrelevant.

• Like 1

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

I still don't see the feel issue.  I10 to S55 to I500.   S are softer, but a pure I500 sounds like a blade/feels like the S. Deep thud, slightly higher in pitch but good.  Omg one thing though, I hate range balls.  Sound and feel is horrid.  So I get it, but for a non range rat, huge fan   love the long irons especially.  Will be waiting for these and blending a set for ( long irons only at worst) with BPs.  

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

11 hours ago, WarEagleGolf said:

I still don't see the feel issue.  I10 to S55 to I500.   S are softer, but a pure I500 sounds like a blade/feels like the S. Deep thud, slightly higher in pitch but good.  Omg one thing though, I hate range balls.  Sound and feel is horrid.  So I get it, but for a non range rat, huge fan   love the long irons especially.  Will be waiting for these and blending a set for ( long irons only at worst) with BPs.  

I don't have any feel issues either.  A well struck ball feels great.  Doesn't feel any worse or better than most clubs in this category (game improvement...players distance).  Been playing some of the best golf of my life with them this year ?

11 hours ago, WarEagleGolf said:

17 minutes ago, jwb10 said:

Hmm, my irons look worse than that.!! LOL, once I bang'em into the ground a few thousand times, throw them in and out of the bag and hit balls off mats and roads and sand, I don't expect as much. Anyway, they still work and I love them......

God I loved those irons, just that damn finish didn’t hold up for even a week. If Ping can truly make the hydro finish more durable in the new i series, I’ll be all over them 

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2020 at 8:05 PM, WarEagleGolf said:

I do agree, I think they should fine and play fine for the most part (started getting some crazy hot shots this summer).

But I will say the sound on these when hitting certain range balls was TERRIBLE.  I've hit some pinnacles and some hard Srixons that sound/feel terrible.  My clubs Titleist range balls are fine.  

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22