Mizuno MP 20 or Titleist 620 MB

mtnbiker5

> @mtnbiker5 said:

> Rick Shiels Mizuno MP20 review? Cant find anywhere. Anyone know what the skinny is here. Always enjoyed his 2 cents worth. Loving the new set.

All he's going to do is tell you because it's a blade so he feels like he can hit "a fadey one with the 4 iron"

> @balls_deep said:

> > @mtnbiker5 said:

> > Rick Shiels Mizuno MP20 review? Cant find anywhere. Anyone know what the skinny is here. Always enjoyed his 2 cents worth. Loving the new set.

>

> All he's going to do is tell you because it's a blade so he feels like he can hit "a fadey one with the 4 iron"

Or he’ll say “These look absolutely STUNNING”

So, I’ve hit both recently. Normally, I really don’t like Titleist MBs—I always found them clicky and hard compared to other MBs and even the CB.

When I hit the MP-20 I was pleased with the feel and easy launch. I felt like it was a big improvement over the MP-18. That being said, I have a preference for my MP-4s over the MP-20–thinner topline and softer than the MP-20 in my hands.

The new 620 MB really shocked me. The look is super clean and compares nicely to my MP-4s. But, they’ve really improved the feel. Both the CB and MB have a softer feel, and two now feel like each other to me. I was also getting unusually high ball flight and spin for me (like 10 extra meters worth)—-it might have just been an uncommonly good day, but the MBs were seriously launching and flying higher than the MP20 HMB for a few shots—but trajectory was still controlled.

So, long story short, if I wanted to do a straight replacement of my MP-4s, I think the new 620 MBs might come closest. Plus, one should never sleep on a CB release—the topline and profile is there to fit my Eye well, and they’re really a great iron. :)

That being said, I’m still a little partial to the Apex MB as being the best MB in current production.

• Like 1

Just to bring some context into these. I purchased the T-200s last month, liked the irons but ball flight was way too high. So today I went to Edwin Watts to try new shafts for the T-200s and after trying 7 diff shafts, the fitter told me that I should try the new Mizuno MP-20s (im s lefty, so MP-20 SEL, which is 3-4 HMB, 5-pw MP20 Blade. Long story short, I was hitting the Mp20 7-iron only 3 yards less than the T-200s (even with 4+ degrees in the 7 iron) and much much more consistency. I really can't believe this is a blade. If all blades are this easy to hit, then the whole blade scare is just a myth or maybe this club is just that forgiving. I was flushing everything with them and dont get me started on the feel.............i have never ever felt such a buttery feel like this in my entire golfing life (and I had Nike pro combos forged for 14 years, which 8-pw were blades).

In summary, I went from Titleist T-200 all the way to MP20s, and I dont feel I lost even a bit of forgiveness at all. I went with C-Taper Stiff shafts.

• Like 1

there are a ton of tests and a ton of reviews that clearly show little difference between blades and CB's. Its a lot of marketing. But if you compare SGI to blades, then you see the biggest differences in distance forgiveness on bad hits. SCORING Is a whole other argument. Not sure there is any supported data to suggest radical scoring changes in using a GI or SGI club compared to a blade. Play what works for you. > @herbert7890 said:

> Just to bring some context into these. I purchased the T-200s last month, liked the irons but ball flight was way too high. So today I went to Edwin Watts to try new shafts for the T-200s and after trying 7 diff shafts, the fitter told me that I should try the new Mizuno MP-20s (im s lefty, so MP-20 SEL, which is 3-4 HMB, 5-pw MP20 Blade. Long story short, I was hitting the Mp20 7-iron only 3 yards less than the T-200s (even with 4+ degrees in the 7 iron) and much much more consistency. I really can't believe this is a blade. If all blades are this easy to hit, then the whole blade scare is just a myth or maybe this club is just that forgiving. I was flushing everything with them and dont get me started on the feel.............i have never ever felt such a buttery feel like this in my entire golfing life (and I had Nike pro combos forged for 14 years, which 8-pw were blades).

>

> In summary, I went from Titleist T-200 all the way to MP20s, and I dont feel I lost even a bit of forgiveness at all. I went with C-Taper Stiff shafts.

> @herbert7890 said:

> Just to bring some context into these. I purchased the T-200s last month, liked the irons but ball flight was way too high. So today I went to Edwin Watts to try new shafts for the T-200s and after trying 7 diff shafts, the fitter told me that I should try the new Mizuno MP-20s (im s lefty, so MP-20 SEL, which is 3-4 HMB, 5-pw MP20 Blade. Long story short, I was hitting the Mp20 7-iron only 3 yards less than the T-200s (even with 4+ degrees in the 7 iron) and much much more consistency. I really can't believe this is a blade. If all blades are this easy to hit, then the whole blade scare is just a myth or maybe this club is just that forgiving. I was flushing everything with them and dont get me started on the feel.............i have never ever felt such a buttery feel like this in my entire golfing life (and I had Nike pro combos forged for 14 years, which 8-pw were blades).

>

> In summary, I went from Titleist T-200 all the way to MP20s, and I dont feel I lost even a bit of forgiveness at all. I went with C-Taper Stiff shafts.

7-pw a blade there isn't much difference that is noticeable, these are scoring clubs. You will start to notice difference in forgiveness as iron gets longer. Compare your 5 iron t200 vs mp20 mb 5 iron and get back to me. Saying that, I don't think there is much difference between the cb and the mb in forgiveness, I would just go the mb route in that case.

> @Redjeep83 said:

> > @herbert7890 said:

> > Just to bring some context into these. I purchased the T-200s last month, liked the irons but ball flight was way too high. So today I went to Edwin Watts to try new shafts for the T-200s and after trying 7 diff shafts, the fitter told me that I should try the new Mizuno MP-20s (im s lefty, so MP-20 SEL, which is 3-4 HMB, 5-pw MP20 Blade. Long story short, I was hitting the Mp20 7-iron only 3 yards less than the T-200s (even with 4+ degrees in the 7 iron) and much much more consistency. I really can't believe this is a blade. If all blades are this easy to hit, then the whole blade scare is just a myth or maybe this club is just that forgiving. I was flushing everything with them and dont get me started on the feel.............i have never ever felt such a buttery feel like this in my entire golfing life (and I had Nike pro combos forged for 14 years, which 8-pw were blades).

> >

> > In summary, I went from Titleist T-200 all the way to MP20s, and I dont feel I lost even a bit of forgiveness at all. I went with C-Taper Stiff shafts.

>

> 7-pw a blade there isn't much difference that is noticeable, these are scoring clubs. You will start to notice difference in forgiveness as iron gets longer. Compare your 5 iron t200 vs mp20 mb 5 iron and get back to me. Saying that, I don't think there is much difference between the cb and the mb in forgiveness, I would just go the mb route in that case.

Of course, Im just lucky the SEL MP-20s is actually a combo set, 3-4 irons are the HMB (similar to the T-200s or P790s) and then from 5-PW they switch to MBs MP20. I think it was an amazing idea. But I still have a old ben hogan apex tour 2 iron and can hit decently if I had to (but of course wont do it now with all the new tech and forgiveness)

• 1 month later...

Porsche vs Ferrari

saw these both for the first time today , MP20 is more impressive in person. Hat tip to Mizzy for shrinking the PW and 9.

Both sets look sweet as hell

• Like 1

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a set of the 620mb 4-pw. Never been a fan of Titleist blades till the 620s. They've always felt too clicky and the flow was funny from the hosel to the leading edge until now. The reduction in offset also won me over. Personally, the shape of the head is the determining factor for me...Especially in the 7-pw clubs. Haven't been a fan of Mizuno blade shapes since the MP-4...I've hit the MP-20 mb, from a feel perspective they almost feltl too mushy to me. Compared to the 620mb, the mp20s' lines looks softer and rounder to me. Number's wise they were exactly the same with the same shaft. I also like the leading edge grind on the 620's, felt like they glided through the turf just a tad better. Can't make a wrong decision with either club.

I finally had a chance to do a side-by-side. I was leaning MP-20 but wanted to give 620 a shot. At the end of the day, the 620 won out for me, but only slightly. On well struck shots I couldn't detect any feel difference between the two.

Performance was nearly identical (spin-distance-launch), despite the 1 degree loft difference, and Titleist having a fractionally shorter stock shaft (this doesn't show up on the spec sheets, but side-by-side in the shop, the Mizunos are about 1/8 or 1/4 longer).

So for me it just comes down to looks, and I much prefer Titleist MB both at address and in the bag.

The only question left for me is whether to go MB or CB, because I hit the CBs great and the feel was every bit as good as the MB.

One thing Mizuno has going for it, however, is price. They have a lot more no-upcharge shaft and grip offerings. The price of the Titleist irons goes up fast if you stray from their stock options.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

I had a chance to hit them side by side last night in an attempt to find a 3 iron to go with my VR Pros. It wasn't a full fitting, just a few balls with each to compare performance and feel with my Nikes. Shafts weren't exactly what I use (the 620 had an AMT Tour White S300, the Mp20 a standard S300), but close enough for me to get a feel and for it to be a fair fight. Didn't have Trackman available, but did have Toptracer - not particularly accurate I know, but useful enough.

I'd agree with the previous post to be honest, there was very little difference between the two. Similar launch angle, distance, and feel on well struck shots. Centre hits were going 152 for both 7 irons, both dropped to around 145 if I caught it a little heavy. My Nike was up over 160 for good hits, but that is half an inch longer with a slightly stouter shaft, so to be expected.

I ended up ordering the Mizuno, but only because it felt closest to my VR Pros. If I was going for a full set, I expect I'd be flipping a coin.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I play MP-20 mb 5-pw and 3 & 4 irons in the HMB (SEL set up). I wasn't in love with HMBs at first, felt chunky and a bit off to my eye. But they flat out perform, easy to hit and forgiving as hell.

I swap out the 3 iron with the Mizzy 3h CLK sometimes, but find myself bagging the 3 iron (basically a iron at 18°) more because it's so fun to hit.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

So after posting this comparison I went back and had another long session testing the MP-20 blade against the 620 MB and the 620 CB. The MP-20 finally won out and I have placed an order. Unlike my first test, this time the MP-20 decisively outperformed the 620 MB, even though I still prefer (slightly) the look of the 620 MB. Where I could have basically flipped a coin was between the MP-20 blade and the 620 CB. Both are great. Mizuno was slightly better in terms of feel and workability. CB was slightly better in terms of dispersion. I ultimately went with Mizuno because, with the shafts and grips I wanted, they came out $150 cheaper for a six-iron set. I should add that I loved the MMC in previous testing but prefer the slimmer topline and lower offset of the MB. Will still consider an MMC as a longer iron, however, but we'll see how the MBs treat me first.

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

You owe it to yourself to try the Wilson staff blades.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

I’ve been playing a set of MP5 for a while now and can’t imagine a head that would be a better fit to my game.

however, I can imagine that I’ve changed and am curious if any of you all tried the mizuno shaft optimizer before testing and did you go with the recommendation

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

Great question! I've played both the MP5 and MP20. Both great sets. The MP20 are friendlier through the turf. They have a lot more camber despite the low bounce and you can feel it helping a lot. Heavy misses aren't nearly as bad as they were with the MP5. Both feel brilliant. The scoring irons look drastically better in the 20. I hit some of my best iron shots ever with the 5s though - they're a great set.

As for the shaft optimizer - use with caution. It is great to give you a baseline but I find it recommends very stiff. My first set of MP20 I got from a guy who had the exact same recommendations as I did and he did not fair well with the irons. My 7i swing speed is around 92-93mph. It spat out:

KBS $Taper 130XKBS Tour 130XKBS C-Taper 130XDG X100PX 6.5Modus 120XFairly different profiles and all very stout. I'd argue the top 3 are only for close to 100mph with 7i - VERY stout profiles. I had the $Taper 130x and I couldn't feel the head well enough during the swing. My new set has X100 in them which I love. I'd be careful about blind ordering. When I tested the MB with the $Taper 130x I had fantastic results on sim. Outdoors it just didn't work. Wasn't loading it right and was getting wonky low point misses and rights (harder to turn KBS shafts over). The X100 is the opposite. Feels so easy and I can work the ball both ways without even thinking. So all in all a GREAT fitting tool but take the results as a guide. For me the 4th option was by far the best.

• Like 1

Thanks. I was wondering if it got you in a ballpark, sounds like yes it does.

I wonder how big a shaft database it pulls from. There are a lot of shafts these days.

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

Yes I had two fitting sessions using both the optimizer and GC Quad. My swing speed and recommendations were very similar to @balls_deep with the $-Taper 130X on top of the list. Even though it's a recommendation to start from, I wanted to go with my Modus 130X of the past 3 years or try 125X. But one isn't available and the other is an up-charge. So I proceeded trusting the superior knowledge of Mizuno's engineers to my own and eventually ordered a set thinking I could always swap in Modus and sell the KBS. Very surprised and happy to see the performance translate from fitting to the course. Only reason I'd switch back would be the Modus feel, not a lacking in function of the KBS shaft. Actually, I'm getting the lower, flatter ball flight I was hoping for. I don't necessarily agree that one needs a 100 mph 7i to make them work. The system is partly based on how you load the shaft, and that's been very accurate according to a range of fitters I know.

TSR4 9*(A2), Diamana PD 60TX 45.5 (testing) Smoke 💎💎💎9*

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41"

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i

T24 54.08D, Callaway Jaws Raw 60.08C, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Mizuno RB X or Callaway Tour X

Sorry that was more in reference to the C Taper 130x. I actually hit it back to back with the $Taper in sim and almost went with that. Fantastic dispersion and I liked the feel. Thing is pretty much the only PGA guy who uses that shaft is Woodland. The rest all okay it in 125 S+ because it’s so stout. No doubt I do not need a shaft stiffer than Rosey. I could hit the $Taper no issue, my problem was it didn’t give me what I needed. I could load it but timing it was a problem, and then I was getting a high flight and tons of spin despite it being stiff. I had a 6 iron tip back like 10 feet on me at one point. Greens were receptive and the green was maybe 10 feet downhill but still.

You make a good point though. It doesn’t recommend shafts they don’t sell. I’d have loved to try modus 125X as I hear it’s a better feeling X100.

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone this is my first post/comment (but long time forum reader!)! I wanted to bring this post back to life as I have a fitting in a couple weeks. I'm planning on trying the MP20 & 620 MB alongside some other blades (probably wilson pro staff and Apex) and wanted some opinions:

I know it isn't a common thing anymore (some would consider it dumb) but while I'm not a scratch golfer, I really enjoy playing blades through the whole set. Yes I may have some more miss-hits during a round, but I don't golf competitively and really am only competing with myself and my past scores when I play. The enjoyment of hitting long iron blades well some of the time is worth it to me. I used to play Nike Pro Vapors and a buddy convinced me to get some JPX 900 Tours for some more "forgiveness to get better scores" (the only thing I saw change is that my ball striking isn't what it used to be; feel like my swing got lazier and I kept trying to kill the ball with this new "forgiveness"). Long story short, I want to go back to true blades.

Has anyone hit the longer irons for the MP20 and/or 620 MB? Which did y'all like more? I'm curious to see what everyone has to say, because most of the comments I'm reading are about set blending.

IMO

"Forgiveness" Wilson Staff>> Cally Apex>> MP20>> 620MB

Softness MP20>> Apex>> 620>> Staff

Looks (address and badge) 620>> Staff>>MP20>> Apex

All great irons. The Wilson staff and Apex will spin a bit less which is nice and offer much better ball speed in the longer end. The MP20 and 620 should be a bit more workable due to spin and will also fly higher. I hit the ball very high and if I could have any for free it would be either the Staff or Apex just due to ball flight and bounce. If your miss is heavy the MP20 will be worse of the bunch. I will say all of these models have MUCH more forgiving soles than old school blades. The Apex and Titleist will have the most bounce and the MP20 and Wilson both have less but offer tons of camber to make up for it.

Good luck