Your Favorite Rams

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1450235848' post='12725952']
Sadly, I've never gotten around to having a set of the 80 Golden Rams. A hole in the resume, certainly. Maybe some day, when I unload some of the other stuff I have lying around....
[/quote]

I just happen to know where there is a set currently for sale... ;)

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Those are marvelous Emperor. Two thumbs up on your acquisition. It's a wonderful thing being able to return to the days of yore and once again acquire and play these old(er) clubs. I like the look of those TG's.

Because of a unhealthy infatuation with Hogan's, the Ram bag gets cast aside all to frequently. Mine consist of the Axials. Oversized, yes. But to my eye, they frame the ball just right. Almost like "cupping" the ball. And when I played a round with them this fall, was reminded just how well I strike the ball with them. Quite forgiving for a blade (oxymoron?). Matched up with the TW scoring system wedges, very nice set of irons. Plus, I have maybe $25 invested in entirety. Hope to someday find a couple of Ram persimmon fairways to complete the set.

Question for the community (NRJ, our resident GR expert). Is there any significant differences in the head design of the three GRTG models covering the period of '80 - '88? That would be the TG (like Emperor's), TG Vibration Matched, TG Frequency Matched. I believe, based on foggy memory, the VM to FM models were differences in the shaft used. Brunswick v. TT DG. My Axials have TT DG Frequency Matched 5.5 shafts. Mentioned earlier in this thread (post #9), seemingly only slight variations in heel/toe camber. Size and shape of head being ostensibly the same through each generation.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

<stepping up to lecturn>

lol

They're all fairly similar, but there are subtle differences to the grinds. The 80 models may be slightly flatter from heel to toe, but not as flat as the "Golden Ram in oval" set from the 70s. The Vibration Matched, going from the set I have, are somewhat more rounded heel to toe, though the replacement 4 iron I'd picked up is a bit flatter than the rest of my VM set. The Frequency Matched, they may have gone back a little flatter, again, using my experience as a base.

One issue in looking purely at the grinds is that Ram had a fairly active custom shop.

I can say for certain the FM vs VM difference is not the shafts. My VM, FM, and TW276 sets have all come with stock 6.5 Precision shafts. The labelling on the Dynamic shafts for Ram uses the FM purely as marketing, maybe because they wanted continuity between the shafts. It's possible Dynamics were merely available as a custom substitute. (speculating because I wasn't playing golf then)

IIRC, the 80-82 Goldens come with Dynamics because the Precision shaft hadn't come out yet, or was new enough that Ram hadn't started using them.

So, let's dig out the Maltby Club ID Guide....
The 77 entry says "compact traditional blade very similar in shape and style to 80 Ram Tour Grind" (prior to 77: "same as 77")
The 79 entry says "squared toe more than 80-81 and sole is flatter in shape" (nothing listed for 78)
1980 and 1981 point to 1982. 1982 says "same basic head shape from 83-84" then references the different stamping
1984 just says "compact traditional blade with soft slightly scooped out muscleback design"
1986 says it's the same as 87-88 but with Vibration Matched stamp and no dot (used for lie angle indication on Frequency Matched sets)

1986 also lists the Axial for the first time. The 86 Axials say no dot stamp, but otherwise same as 87-88.

87 points to 88, and 1988 doesn't say much to make it identifiable, other than bringing up the dot stamp in the backpad. This dot is a lie angle color code, black is standard, white is upright, gold is flat. The amount of upright or flat may be 2°, possibly 1½°, don't remember for certain.

And it's the same up through 1992, except the TW276 and TW282 sets are added to the Frequency Matched line. I've also seen "TW Custom Grind" sets with FM stamping (owned a set for a while). Extremely squared toe, shorter blade length due to this. Never played them, they needed reshafting and I wound up offloading to a buddy in Florida who wanted to try playing blades. :)

In the mix of the above, you can also find "Cambered Sole Model" sets. They're mentioned in 1982, but I've also seen them with stampings indicating they come from later in the 80s. There's been such a set on ebay in the last month or two, possibly from Japan.

The FX Tour Grinds show up in 1994, and it's more of the same generic language.

The FX Nickels show up in 97 or 98. I mentioned this to scomac, I think they used the Axial as a basis, as they are larger than the Golden Rams or FX Tour Grinds. Then, the last set, in 1999, are the TG-898s, which are smaller than the FX, but slightly larger than the Golden Rams. Sole has some heel/toe camber.

I hope I didn't put you all to sleep with all that.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

A simple allocation of a 'like' doesn't seem worthy. Well done treatise on GRTG attributes Professor. Comprehensive to say the least . Now copied (and plagiarized) for future use moving forward. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Thanks for the kind words, Fella. <bow>

Found a pic I have of one of my old TW Custom Grind clubheads, so you can see what I'm referring to by the squaring of the toe. I'll also include a pic I found of a 4 iron from Ironfinder.com, of the face of a single Frequency Matched Golden Ram, for comparison's sake

(edited to change pic to Ironfinder image)

P1290040.jpg

424_B.jpg

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Ram Golf made both the Golden Ram Tour Grind, the Tour Grind FX, and FX2 in LH models.

Their model translations from RH to LH were very good.

To my knowledge, they did not offer LH models of the TW series or the Tour Grind Axials.

As an amateur, Phil Mickelson was using a set of Ram irons at the Memorial Tournament- before Jim Bones MacKay was his caddie.

Wow, I am excited to know that I have the best Rams ever. Even though they came with True Temper Dynamic shafts, to me they still feel the same as the FM6.5's I had in my Vibration Matched irons.

What is it with these clubs? There must be something about them that the Tour players loved. I guess they were made just right. Who designed these irons? Did the Hansberger brothers design it themselves?

[quote name='LittleLeftToRight' timestamp='1445321122' post='12481120']
I weren't aware that they made anything other than the Tour Grinds. I mean, when you achieve perfection, why sully it?
[/quote]

Golf companies always want to improve. Straying off-topic a little, the best example is with Wilson and the 1958 Dynapower irons.

• 1 year later...

Ram Golf made both the Golden Ram Tour Grind, the Tour Grind FX, and FX2 in LH models.

To my knowledge, they did not offer LH models of the TW series or the Tour Grind Axials.

As an amateur, Phil Mickelson was using a set of Ram irons at the Memorial Tournament- before Jim Bones MacKay was his caddie.

I realize this is an old post but I just purchased a LH set of Axial Tour Grinds (3-PW) off Ebay with TTDG 6.5 shafts in them . Can't find any mention of LH model in my Maltby Guide. Can't wait to see how they compare to my Staff Fluid Feels or Accuform PTM's. Will have to settle for Optishot and Simulator time until the snow melts next spring.

I realize this is an old post but I just purchased a LH set of Axial Tour Grinds (3-PW) off Ebay with TTDG 6.5 shafts in them . Can't find any mention of LH model in my Maltby Guide. Can't wait to see how they compare to my Staff Fluid Feels or Accuform PTM's. Will have to settle for Optishot and Simulator time until the snow melts next spring.

Got to be my Raw Floyd personal RAM irons!

post-53-0-12788000-1435944995.jpg

Why specifically? Are you a scooper or a digger? They have a great look to them.

Because they are the clubs personally used by a multiple Major Champion, and I collect such things.

Texsport

LOL, sound logic.

These irons were made only in 1991, before RAM was bought out by Tommy Armour.

There were two models - TW276 and TW282 -commemorating two of Tom Watson's winning scores - '82 US Open and '83 Masters.

They were square toed, custom orders, only made 1 year, and almost all were made for, and played by the RAM Tour staff players - making them very, very rare and desirable.

I was very fortunate to find Raymond Floyd's set - he was a RAM staff player at that time.

Texsport

I beg to differ on being made in 1991 only

• 3 years later...

Giving an old thread a little life...

Just picked up my first classic set today - well its a partial set. Couldn't pass up the deal... only $20 plus shipping for 3-7 irons in great shape! Based on everything I'm reading I think they're the '86 Tour Grinds - they have the Vibration matched stamp (no dot). Shafts look original, Precision FM 6.5. Pretty excited to see how they feel!

• Like 1

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw; X Forged '18 4i | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Evnroll ER2v Long Plumbers Neck

A subject close to my heart! For me it is 80-82 Tour Grinds. My first set of proper blades and I love them! Played them to the verge of destruction. The chrome went of the toe end of the sole first so must lie too flat for me but felt great.

They still get at least an annual outing for old time sake and I have decided they will be in the bag when the powers that be let us back on the course for the first time after lockdown probably teamed with my Harry Busson woods that I have yet to hit.

S22DHE0E1EOC.jpg

1WNZ6XJCNK1Z.jpg

Would like to get a fresher set but they are quite rare here in the UK. I do have a set of FM TG's but, for me, not as good as the 80-82's.

Those are beauts! C'mon get some wear on that 2 iron, especially in the UK! Just joshing

Its funny - i've been on this classic blade kick for a month or two now - dunno if its this slower pace of life or what (hmm I wonder if the whole antique/"older ways" industry will see a boost from this). I digress... so yeah I grew up in the golf industry, dad's a pro and owned a shop all my life. I remember practicing in the winter beating balls into a net w a Hogan Apex II 5 iron. It was the 90s so that club was old at the time, but I was drawn to that iron over all the stuff out at that time. That said I wouldn't call my desire to know more about these clubs nostalgia, seeing as I never even gamed a set, or played a hole for that matter with anything "classic." My first sets were hand me down Pings, and my first new clubs were Mizuno T-Zoid Pros. The reason I like them, the classic irons, is I love golf, its history, and they're damn fun to hit.

But back to the Golden Ram Tour Grinds, at first glance they don't appear overly classic, you know they're probably not winning the beauty pageant. But functional-wise, the more you look at them that muscle just sits so stoutly right where it should. And the dimensions of the head are just sweet. Of course I say all this from pics haha, mine are in the mail! I'll post a photo when I get them.

MTG, the 2 iron was actually saved as I gamed a FM TG 1 iron for much of time I was playing these! Playing Scottish links golf I have always favoured a 1 iron but never found a 80-82 TG 1 iron.

The feel I had with these was that the weight would do the work. I didn't need to swing at the ball and so could steer the head into impact and so had control. They inspired confidence beyond my (limited) talents.

They are beat up but beautiful in my eyes!

Gosh, it has been a while since I last posted in this thread. Since then, I was downsizing some and I had way too many sets of irons, so I had to unload some sets. I had two sets of Tour Grinds and I had to choose which one to keep, the older Tour Grinds or the Vibration Matched. It was a tough decision but I kept the Vibration Matched models. My reasoning was simple: I liked the feel of the Vibration Matched a little better, they were the set I had played for the first seventeen years of my golfing life, and one day I peeked into Tom Watson's bag and saw that they were the Vibration Matched irons I have. I have the 2-SW Vibration matched, but the 1 iron is a Frequency Matched, but looks and feels exactly the same--the stamp was different, that's all. I use this set for the retro days when I play 1-SW and driver, 3 wood for my woods. I would take a picture of them now, but for now I am too lazy to take the off the rack, clean off the dust and pose them in the bag. Maybe later when I have the time.

So far I have no seller's remorse for selling the other set because I have the Vibrations, and they give me good vibrations.

• Like 1

Fantastic looking bag. Think that's the same version of TGs I have coming to me, should be here today actually. So psyched to hit them.

When I was a young man in Texas in sixties and seventies I don’t recall ever seeing a set of Rams of any kind in a Pro shop. Mostly know as a store line club. Almost couldn’t pry the players away from Wilson, Hogan, Spalding, and Powerbilt, and Mc Gregor. Ping was just catching on . Don’t think I’ve ever seen a set of FX’s but the sure are pretty.