2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

London Trip

If you had 4 days flying into London, where would you go and how? Royal St Georges is the only course that is pretty high on my list in the "area", and going to a premier league game (chelsea) is a must do. Is a rental car a must? Other must play courses etc. This is almost a year out, so hopefully things have gone back to normal by then.

Edited by mci711

Is this 2 days either side of working in the city or 4 straight days? Are you looking to blow the doors off and play the creme of the crop or looking to mix the spendy ones with some others? And yes get a car hire.

For me RSG and Deal are two of my favorite courses and easily my favourite pair of close proximity courses anywhere. They are both superb word-class golf and great fun. Stay in Sandwich and you're sorted. If it turns out they are not available for some reason, than Rye and Littlestone, staying in Rye town is another great way to get in two rounds of links golf.

As Miles says away from the coast, how long is a piece of string? There are dozens and dozens of worthwhile heathland courses in the Southeast. You've got loads of time, I'd go check out all their websites, look at some reviews and Youtube videos to try and narrow it down.

As a solo golfer, Sunningdale is fairly institutional and along with RSG, would likely be the only place you felt you're at a tourist venue, but the courses are rightly lauded. Still nothing like Scotland or "England's Golf Coast". Counter to that there are a lot of two-ball courses/courses with two-ball times which can be handy to consider. So even if you go out on your own you won't be stuck behind loads of foursomes and you may even pair up with another single. And really outside of Sunny and Walton Heath, the rest really are member's clubs, which for me personally I've found great, as the pace is always good and you may get asked to fill out a match. Just go easy on them ;-)

Once the Prem schedules are out depending on relegation/promotion there should be at least 6 clubs inside the M25 to choose from, plus possibly Southampton and Brighton. But that'll really help solidify your options, so you'll know if you need to spend a Sat or Sun afternoon at a match, which could write off golf for that day or be the perfect excuse for an early morning nine at Reigate Heath.

*Of course all this assumes a world that works closer to 2019, than 2020. I typically go over pretty regularly, but as things stand now I'm thinking Autumn 2021 at the earliest and more likely 2022, so there's not a lot of faffing about and the pubs are back to normal/new normal.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

You might like to try for a round at Swinley Forest, normally regarded as an exclusive club for Brigadiers and Admirals but in my experience quite happy to accept visitors for a fee! It probably falls within the definition of a hidden gem despite being about #25 in the world. The club is very friendly and has great food. Dogs allowed.

It's hard to argue against the likes of Sandwich and Deal. I would also add Princes since you are there.

It is also hard to argue against Sunningdale, but as a single you may want to consider a quiet club such as New Zealand or Swinley Forest. If you choose Swinley try to book on a society day. You then have the chance to tee off in front of the society and partake in a decent lunch, plus almost always have the opportunity to play a 2nd 18. Woking is also a good shout. Same for Worplesdon. St George's Hill is excellent, but tends to be busy, similar to Sunningdale. If time is very short, especially if flying from Gatwick, Reigate Heath is an excellent choice as a 9 holer. If you want to see a proper heathland course close to how these courses were imagined 100 years ago, try Walton Heath Old.

Keep in mind most of these choices are among some of the most expensive courses in England.

This is exactly what I was going to say. You have some of the best heathland golf in the world within an hour / hour and a half of London. They often get overlooked by overseas visitors to the UK, but personally I prefer heathland to links golf (sacrilege, I know).

There are too many courses to list but, depending on budget, you could consider Walton Heath (Old and New), Sunningdale (Old and New), Camberley Heath, Swinley Forest, The Berkshire, St. George's Hill, Hankley Common, Worplesdon, West Hill, Liphook, North Hants GC.

The list goes on and on. This is definitely the way to go IMO.

Here's a few links to explore: What Can be Better than Links Golf in the British Isles? The Heathlands 25 Of The Best Heathland Golf Courses In The UKThis map is helpful as well: Map of the Best Golf Courses in the UK & Ireland — Golf WorldAs for a rental car, yes it's a must. Don't even think about trying to use the UK's crumbling public transport network to get to these places.

I’ve long since realised Americans don’t have a ‘budget’ over here, which is why I’m recommending Surrey lol. Far better heathland value around Birmingham or Nottingham, barely 2 hours from London.

but sticking with the Surrey idea, my god what a 4 days. You could be on many of them within half an hour of landing at Heathrow. Not sure where I’d stay I’ve never lived in the area. Wokingham seems very quaint? Go as far south as Pulborough and up to Berkshire, that is the true English golf belt, don’t need the M25, any of 25 plus courses that will stand comparison with any inland course in the world give or take..

Thank you for all of the information everyone. It seems like there may be pretty good deals if you stay at Princes and they have a 3 open course special. Usually when I go on any type of trip ease and less movement is important. Specially for a quick jump like this.

It sound like renting a car is a must. So preliminary idea - drive to Sandwich and play Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Potentially Sunday, maybe a heathland course and catch game Sunday evening, fly home Monday. I know I am being closed minded - but I would like to focus on playing more traditional links courses on the coast.

Personally I'd skip the Princes package, especially if you are on your own, I'd not want to be stuck out there for a couple nights, it's really isolated and you lose the ease and enjoyment of staying in a nice village like Sandwich or larger town of Deal IMHO. It would be like going to St. Andrews and staying at that St Andrews Bay hotel.

Heck it's your trip and your tastes, nothing wrong with linksing it up each day, but to be a keen golfer in that neck of the woods and not play at least one heathland round is doing a disservice to the trip IMHO :-) If you could get RSG sorted for Friday, it'd give you the Thurs to 'warm up' near London, as Deal and Princes allow weekend play. Deal under 100 quid* for an afternoon weekend round is one of the best deals in golf!

Anyways no bad options as they say and you'll have a great time any 'ol way.

*Edit: Just checked, they are up to 105GBP twilight, still a deal.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Thanks for the input. It would be nice to stay in town and get that experience. I am also opening up to the heathland courses. In full transparency I never gave them much thought, but doing research now and I am really starting to be interested. Sunningdale seems to be the big name - but it is over $300. I am not against paying that, but there seem like so many great options. I've looked at some of the above mentioned so far - Swinley Forest, St George's Hill, Walton Heath and they look awesome! Weekend play may not be possible is my worry. Maybe I do a heathland trip, love this site, my plans may have completely changed in 24 hours .

Ya the weekend thing is where Princes and Deal really help out. My last time through last Sept, I rang Princes up Fri afternoon and got out first thing Sat morning and then as I mentioned above Deal's twilight/afternoon times are easy too - assuming no day long comps. Weekend play at the 'big name' heathland tracks around London would be a no go; however, a lot of the next tier down will have you 'round in the afternoon/late morning. That's why I was suggesting Thurs would be the most practical day for a heathland course.

St. George's Hill, SF, WH, Sunny are all in and around the same - North of 175GBP - but there are sooo many other options around, as mentioned and linked above - that provide real top notch golf for 'reasonable' green fees, so there's some money left over for pints and a meal afterwards. Pulborough (West Sussex) for example, is a match for those 4 regardless of green fee. Not to say they are the same thing, but if you've enjoyed Trails, Sand Valley, Talking Stick North, I think you'd really get on with an inland choice, along with the coastals.

It's nice to have options... many many options

F.T.

My suggestion is starting and finishing at Heathrow:

Go straight to Woking from the airport.

Drive down to Rye

Then along to Royal St Georges

And back to London for St Georges Hill

The first two are fine courses but the second two are elites.

If you wanted a bit less expense Tandridge, The Addington, and Littlestone could be good.

An odd spot might be Royal Ashdown Forest about half way between London and the coast.

Sunningdale is 275 quid and the king of cost around London.

It's worth checking around for weekend times. I think Walton Heath allows visitors on weekends.

You really can't go wrong with most choices. One thing I will say is try for variety. For instance, Swinley, Sunningdale, St George's Hill and Berkshire are somewhat similar. If you throw in one of those, Walton Heath Old, Woking and New Zealand that is a wide variety which will give you a good flavour of heathlands. Also, check on Addington. If the work is well progressed by the time you go it could be something special to rival the top heathlands.

And Duffer is right. Pulborough is a pain to get to, but it is sublime.

The big drawback about a heathland tour is finding a cool, well placed town to stay near the courses. Sandwich and Deal are far more attractive propositions than a Home County burb.

Personally I would say no. Chart Hills is fine, but in some senses it's a generic parkland layout, which are a dime a dozen in the US. If you're going to be in that part of the world, then much better to take advantage of the world class heathland (or coastal links) courses IMO i.e. courses you wouldn't typically encounter at home.

@El Gringo - fair point I should have been more specific, I was thinking of it the context of a 36 hole day - which I see in 2020 is now North of 4 bills anyways. Pretty sure it was 360 last year, either way those are Irish cartel rates. And agree on the 'ambiance' on the spots within earshot of the M25 or M3. It's the main negative for the tourist golfer IMHO, although New Zealand does a fabulous job of sheltering you from the world. Unless I was playing a bunch in a couple days, I'd just drive down from Herts for the day. That said Petworth wasn't a bad base for hitting Pulborough, Liphook, Blackmoor etc...

F.T.

Duffer

Yes, New Zealand has a very cool vibe, although I am very partial to smaller clubs at which expectations can be eased. Reigate & Pulborough are my favourites that way. I have a lot of time for Leckford Old as well....a byob 2ball club...can't beat it. Excellent set of greens and an imaginative routing. Below is the 9th and diminutive house.

KASXKVC2LPKB.jpg

Woking is an excellent track both in vibe and design. 120 qd.One of St Georges Hill, Walton Heath, Swinley Forest - all elite courses. Mega bucks 180qd.Pulborough/aka West Sussex is a gem. Not mega bucks. 100qdOne of The Addington, Tandridge and NZ as discussed above would round it out. Not mega bucks. 120qdLook at any UK Best Of list and they will all be top 25 or so. And all reasonably close to London and not requiring a long drive. You just need to enquire as to what days they allow outside play. And dont forget your bacon sandwich.

For sure St Georges Hill, Woking, WHO & Pulborough would all make my top 25 UK courses. So would Sunny Old and New. Swinley is close, haven't seen it since work was done there to rip out trees. For me, Worplesdon is also very close. The course I have very high hopes for is Addington. Its a very bold design which has been constricted by trees, poor conditioning and dubious cut lines. If the work comes off, Addy is set to sky rocket in my estimation.

Played SF June '18 and it certainly didn't seem encumbered by trees, so guessing it was done by then. SGH, Pulborough, Sunny-Old my clear top 3 favorites, then SF, then a pick 'em from WHx2 and Sunny-New I guess.

But then I've not played close to nearly all of them. The 3 W's for instance, I'm just so unkeen on that neck of the woods I haven't gotten to them yet.

MCi711 - obviously we're bandying about a load of names, and it really is a case of no bad choices amongst these heathland beauties, but for someone that's not played any before, Walton Heath's quality, proximity to the M25, two-ball hours, two courses, general and weekend afternoon availability would make it a great intro and hopefully very feasible. If you could fit in some of these others we've mentioned that wouldn't hurt either.

F.T.

Duffer

Two of the three Ws are superb. The other, West Hill, is good. All are worth seeing as is New Zealand which is in the same neighbourhood in the rectangle between the M25, M3, A3 and A331. West Byfleet is also in the neighbourhood. I have heard its good, but haven't seen it. The land looks similar to New Zealand...fairly flat. Cuthbert Butchart was meant to have designed the course. He did West Hill and I think the original Worplesdon, so he was a busy chap in the area.

As an aside, Queenwood is also in the neighbourhood. Its one of the few properly private clubs in England. I never really tried to play it, but while a modern design, it looks good.

A bit of a pig for me to get to, but the courses southwest of Guildford are good as well. I especially like Liphook. Although Hindhead has that very unusual front 9 playing through glacial valleys...some excellent holes overall. I haven't seen Blackmoor. Hankley is a MASSIVE heath and very impressive as such. The course strikes me as a missed opportunity, but it has its fans. Regardless, its worth seeing to get an idea of what a heath should look like.

• 4 months later...

Just thought I'd add another course to the list if you've not already decided for your trip 

Knole Park in Sevenoaks, Kent.  Its Kents best non links course & Sevenoaks is closer to London / has a bit more to do in town so may be of interest 

Its a tough test off the backs, only 6600 yards long but a par 70 with a sss of 73 

Worth a look!

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

Have seen the Berkshire mentioned only a couple of times and if you want a 36 hole day or even to play the two courses on consecutive days, it is a massive bargain compared to Sunningdale for a very comparable experience.  Both courses are in outstanding shape at the moment.  Better for a full day than St George's Hill, which only offers 27 holes although you can dovetail the weak nine (Green) with holes from the two good (Red and Blue) nines for a 36 hole day. The clubhouse at the latter is clearly superior (to look at, if not the welcome or the food, again the Berkshire is up there with the best on these).

Any of the three 'W's' - Woking, Worplesdon and West Hill - are fun and you can almost play from one to the next as they are so close to each other.  

If you want more links golf on the South Coast to add to RSG/Deal/Princes (whichever of those you pick ensure that RSG is one of them) then you could consider adding Rye as the next best in the South East.

You will need a car.

• Like 1