2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Driver shaft du jour for 2019

wildcatden

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> At what point is it too light though?

I would say getting far below USKG specs is too low. @Kcct82 has it at 179g + adapter on the shaft (6-7g) so call it 185-186g. That's just 1-2g off of USKG TS specs so within tolerance. I would think going much lower would not be ideal for the age.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

It doesn't matter most of what is in this thread also doesn't matter either. Unless you kid can hit the ball strait it just simply does not matter shaft you use. Sure light is okay and more flexible will help with a higher flight and may fix a path but honestly that only matters if they can hit the club in the same place.

With Kids get the most flexible shaft you can and if it Ballons too much buy a stiffer shaft. Nothing is needed more than that. If you want more advanced you need to worry about the shaft if you are trying to control ball flight especially with a driver. You can also pretty much use any stock shaft and just pick a flex today.

For a kid under 10 don't waste your time or money trying. shafts can only do so much. As they age and need certain things it might make sense to look at shafts but too many people worried way too much about both shaft and driver around here.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

My view, for kids under 12, if you are using OEM components, I don't think you can get too light. Focus on the lightest overall weight, with an appropriate shaft stiffness and length. Then take it to the course and hope your kid can hit it well :smiley: That seemed to work for my sons when they were younger.

> @wildcatden said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > I measured 5 cobra stainless steel screws (for securing adjustable weights) and they weigh 7g total. That means the stainless screws are around 1.4g each. The 5 black nylon screws that I got on eBay didn’t even register on the scale together. I guess I just saved another 2+ grams on the driver head. Best dollar fifty I ever spent on eBay LOL.

> >

> > Here is my completed build on the world’s lightest OEM quality driver for little kids.

> > 4cyc04ta359i.jpeg

> >

> >

> That's definitely a light head. So looks like stock would be:

>

> Head (179g), stock weights (12g +2g) + stock screws (1.4g + 1.4g) = ~196g. Some people add in the weight of the adapter on the end of the shaft (especially when calculating a swingweight) and those are usually around ~6-7g.

>

> If you look at the tech specs from USKG for 2014 at https://www.uskidsgolf.com/sites/uskidsgolf.com/files/USKG-2014-TechnicalSpecs.pdf you can see that they spec their driver clubheads at 187g for the Tour Series 51 and 54. Looks like you got them by a few grams. I've never seen an updated spec sheet from USKG since the release of the TS3 stuff.

>

I don’t have the TS3 specs either, but Flynn’s new Alto driver is 182g. I’m guessing 180-190g would be ideal for 54mph swing speed and up as USKG suggests for their TS3 51” line.

fobril9mch8e.jpeg

Cally XR16 13.5* = 189gm

That's why so many on this board have recommended it.

Including me.

I wouldn't continue to go down the shaft rathole. At 55mph swing speed, the kid isn't swinging fast enough to overpower any OEM shaft. It's really a matter of preference from there. The OEM EI charts have little meaning, b/c at chopped down playing length, you're cutting off the stiffest part of the shaft.

Me? Drop a UST F1 down in there, and call it a day.

• Like 1

So got the Kuro Kage in and set up and it was a definite improvement over the Project X. I just never felt the Project X was a good shaft for my junior (9 year old 70ish driver swing speed). KK seems solid so we are good. He likes it, it feels more consistent, and he is getting better launch. Done and done.

• Like 1

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> So got the Kuro Kage in and set up and it was a definite improvement over the Project X. I just never felt the Project X was a good shaft for my junior (9 year old 70ish driver swing speed). KK seems solid so we are good. He likes it, it feels more consistent, and he is getting better launch. Done and done.

Awesome that it’s working out for your kid.

My kid’s shaft is good, he loves it, hits it farther and still straight. I took him to play 18 holes at 10 YO yardage and he shot +15. Then a hot 39 yesterday at local USKG. He’s doing okay distance wise in 7’s group despite still being 6.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> Except I have to take it back to my club guy...something went screwy when he installed the adapter and it went flying off with the head :neutral: It happens.

Uh oh, sounds dangerous...

And here is a bit more info regarding the Grand Bassaras. Turns out there are GB’s from Japan, and then there are GB’s from Vietnam. Check out the photo, the aftermarket (Japan) shaft looks a lot better in the sun (colorful halogram), and the one installed into all Callaway Epic Star clubs is dull. It’s more noticeable to the naked eye (camera sensors and phone screens don’t have as broad a spectrum).

4s5zlow9n0il.jpeg

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > Except I have to take it back to my club guy...something went screwy when he installed the adapter and it went flying off with the head :neutral: It happens.

>

> Uh oh, sounds dangerous...

>

> And here is a bit more info regarding the Grand Bassaras. Turns out there are GB’s from Japan, and then there are GB’s from Vietnam. Check out the photo, the aftermarket (Japan) shaft looks a lot better in the sun (colorful halogram), and the one installed into all Callaway Epic Star clubs is dull. It’s more noticeable to the naked eye (camera sensors and phone screens don’t have as broad a spectrum).

> 4s5zlow9n0il.jpeg

>

This is why I'm always leery of made-for shafts.

I'm not convinced that all these Recoil shafts with Callaway adapters are the real thing.

Hard to put a $300 shaft on a $400 driver...

> @mrshinsa said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > Except I have to take it back to my club guy...something went screwy when he installed the adapter and it went flying off with the head :neutral: It happens.

> >

> > Uh oh, sounds dangerous...

> >

> > And here is a bit more info regarding the Grand Bassaras. Turns out there are GB’s from Japan, and then there are GB’s from Vietnam. Check out the photo, the aftermarket (Japan) shaft looks a lot better in the sun (colorful halogram), and the one installed into all Callaway Epic Star clubs is dull. It’s more noticeable to the naked eye (camera sensors and phone screens don’t have as broad a spectrum).

> > 4s5zlow9n0il.jpeg

> >

>

> This is why I'm always leery of made-for shafts.

> I'm not convinced that all these Recoil shafts with Callaway adapters are the real thing.

> Hard to put a $300 shaft on a $400 driver...

I called Callaway preowned customer service and the guy said to ship it back for a refund (he didn’t know why the shafts looked different). Then I contacted Mitsubishi and they told me aftermarket ones are made in Japan and Epic Stars have shafts made in Vietnam. Both are made from the same material and design, but the appearance might look slightly different. I hope they’re the same quality...

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @mrshinsa said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > Except I have to take it back to my club guy...something went screwy when he installed the adapter and it went flying off with the head :neutral: It happens.

> > >

> > > Uh oh, sounds dangerous...

> > >

> > > And here is a bit more info regarding the Grand Bassaras. Turns out there are GB’s from Japan, and then there are GB’s from Vietnam. Check out the photo, the aftermarket (Japan) shaft looks a lot better in the sun (colorful halogram), and the one installed into all Callaway Epic Star clubs is dull. It’s more noticeable to the naked eye (camera sensors and phone screens don’t have as broad a spectrum).

> > > 4s5zlow9n0il.jpeg

> > >

> >

> > This is why I'm always leery of made-for shafts.

> > I'm not convinced that all these Recoil shafts with Callaway adapters are the real thing.

> > Hard to put a $300 shaft on a $400 driver...

>

> I called Callaway preowned customer service and the guy said to ship it back for a refund (he didn’t know why the shafts looked different). Then I contacted Mitsubishi and they told me aftermarket ones are made in Japan and Epic Stars have shafts made in Vietnam. Both are made from the same material and design, but the appearance might look slightly different. I hope they’re the same quality...

So you bought two Grand Bassara's?

> @mrshinsa said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > Except I have to take it back to my club guy...something went screwy when he installed the adapter and it went flying off with the head :neutral: It happens.

> >

> > Uh oh, sounds dangerous...

> >

> > And here is a bit more info regarding the Grand Bassaras. Turns out there are GB’s from Japan, and then there are GB’s from Vietnam. Check out the photo, the aftermarket (Japan) shaft looks a lot better in the sun (colorful halogram), and the one installed into all Callaway Epic Star clubs is dull. It’s more noticeable to the naked eye (camera sensors and phone screens don’t have as broad a spectrum).

> > 4s5zlow9n0il.jpeg

> >

>

> This is why I'm always leery of made-for shafts.

> I'm not convinced that all these Recoil shafts with Callaway adapters are the real thing.

> Hard to put a $300 shaft on a $400 driver...

When you can get discounts on mass orders and get things at wholesale prices because you know the shaft will help sales it is very easy. That $300 shaft only cost Callaway a fraction of that price when they order a few thousand of them.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @mrshinsa said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > Except I have to take it back to my club guy...something went screwy when he installed the adapter and it went flying off with the head :neutral: It happens.

> > >

> > > Uh oh, sounds dangerous...

> > >

> > > And here is a bit more info regarding the Grand Bassaras. Turns out there are GB’s from Japan, and then there are GB’s from Vietnam. Check out the photo, the aftermarket (Japan) shaft looks a lot better in the sun (colorful halogram), and the one installed into all Callaway Epic Star clubs is dull. It’s more noticeable to the naked eye (camera sensors and phone screens don’t have as broad a spectrum).

> > > 4s5zlow9n0il.jpeg

> > >

> >

> > This is why I'm always leery of made-for shafts.

> > I'm not convinced that all these Recoil shafts with Callaway adapters are the real thing.

> > Hard to put a $300 shaft on a $400 driver...

>

> When you can get discounts on mass orders and get things at wholesale prices because you know the shaft will help sales it is very easy. That $300 shaft only cost Callaway a fraction of that price when they order a few thousand of them.

Made for vs aftermarket shaft quality has been discussed a lot in these forums. Small differences in quality, craftsmanship, flex, etc. Usually done to assist OEM's in meeting head weight requirements.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > Except I have to take it back to my club guy...something went screwy when he installed the adapter and it went flying off with the head :neutral: It happens.

> > > >

> > > > Uh oh, sounds dangerous...

> > > >

> > > > And here is a bit more info regarding the Grand Bassaras. Turns out there are GB’s from Japan, and then there are GB’s from Vietnam. Check out the photo, the aftermarket (Japan) shaft looks a lot better in the sun (colorful halogram), and the one installed into all Callaway Epic Star clubs is dull. It’s more noticeable to the naked eye (camera sensors and phone screens don’t have as broad a spectrum).

> > > > 4s5zlow9n0il.jpeg

> > > >

> > >

> > > This is why I'm always leery of made-for shafts.

> > > I'm not convinced that all these Recoil shafts with Callaway adapters are the real thing.

> > > Hard to put a $300 shaft on a $400 driver...

> >

> > When you can get discounts on mass orders and get things at wholesale prices because you know the shaft will help sales it is very easy. That $300 shaft only cost Callaway a fraction of that price when they order a few thousand of them.

>

> Made for vs aftermarket shaft quality has been discussed a lot in these forums. Small differences in quality, craftsmanship, flex, etc. Usually done to assist OEM's in meeting head weight requirements.

I haven't seen that, were there any major performance flaws observed?

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > > Except I have to take it back to my club guy...something went screwy when he installed the adapter and it went flying off with the head :neutral: It happens.

> > > > >

> > > > > Uh oh, sounds dangerous...

> > > > >

> > > > > And here is a bit more info regarding the Grand Bassaras. Turns out there are GB’s from Japan, and then there are GB’s from Vietnam. Check out the photo, the aftermarket (Japan) shaft looks a lot better in the sun (colorful halogram), and the one installed into all Callaway Epic Star clubs is dull. It’s more noticeable to the naked eye (camera sensors and phone screens don’t have as broad a spectrum).

> > > > > 4s5zlow9n0il.jpeg

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > This is why I'm always leery of made-for shafts.

> > > > I'm not convinced that all these Recoil shafts with Callaway adapters are the real thing.

> > > > Hard to put a $300 shaft on a $400 driver...

> > >

> > > When you can get discounts on mass orders and get things at wholesale prices because you know the shaft will help sales it is very easy. That $300 shaft only cost Callaway a fraction of that price when they order a few thousand of them.

> >

> > Made for vs aftermarket shaft quality has been discussed a lot in these forums. Small differences in quality, craftsmanship, flex, etc. Usually done to assist OEM's in meeting head weight requirements.

>

> I haven't seen that, were there any major performance flaws observed?

Sorry, not in the junior forum but throughout WRX. No huge differences for Fujikura although some reported by Mitsubishi. IMO it's not a deal breaker for junior golfers. Worst case scenario, the shaft is defective and the manufacturer sends you a new one as long as you get it from an authorized reseller.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > Except I have to take it back to my club guy...something went screwy when he installed the adapter and it went flying off with the head :neutral: It happens.

> > > >

> > > > Uh oh, sounds dangerous...

> > > >

> > > > And here is a bit more info regarding the Grand Bassaras. Turns out there are GB’s from Japan, and then there are GB’s from Vietnam. Check out the photo, the aftermarket (Japan) shaft looks a lot better in the sun (colorful halogram), and the one installed into all Callaway Epic Star clubs is dull. It’s more noticeable to the naked eye (camera sensors and phone screens don’t have as broad a spectrum).

> > > > 4s5zlow9n0il.jpeg

> > > >

> > >

> > > This is why I'm always leery of made-for shafts.

> > > I'm not convinced that all these Recoil shafts with Callaway adapters are the real thing.

> > > Hard to put a $300 shaft on a $400 driver...

> >

> > I called Callaway preowned customer service and the guy said to ship it back for a refund (he didn’t know why the shafts looked different). Then I contacted Mitsubishi and they told me aftermarket ones are made in Japan and Epic Stars have shafts made in Vietnam. Both are made from the same material and design, but the appearance might look slightly different. I hope they’re the same quality...

>

> So you bought two Grand Bassara's?

Yeah... for his 3W, but it didn’t seem to have made a difference. He didn’t even feel it’s lighter.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure you all went nuts when you saw this on [Golf Digest](https://www.golfdigest.com/story/is-your-golf-shaft-robbing-you-of-yards "Golf Digest") this week. If you're wondering why your child's sequencing is off this is a potential reason.

hp1vgy2osgek.jpg

• Like 1

> @leezer99 said:

> I'm sure you all went nuts when you saw this on [Golf Digest](https://www.golfdigest.com/story/is-your-golf-shaft-robbing-you-of-yards "Golf Digest") this week. If you're wondering why your child's sequencing is off this is a potential reason.

>

> hp1vgy2osgek.jpg

>

Fair enough, but for me it was about getting it light enough for a 6/7 year old to use. I was simply trying to make it “useable”, not necessarily trying to gain club head speed with a lighter shaft.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. The boy asked about getting a new shaft for his 3w because it "felt like a twig" so I ordered a Fujikura and Tensei (sp?) for him to try. I had been hesitant in changing because he has had great success with it but after watching him hit it a few times this week it does appear that he is compensating for the lighter weight. I guess we'll see how it goes.

> @leezer99 said:

> Small update. The boy asked about getting a new shaft for his 3w because it "felt like a twig" so I ordered a Fujikura and Tensei (sp?) for him to try. I had been hesitant in changing because he has had great success with it but after watching him hit it a few times this week it does appear that he is compensating for the lighter weight. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Update to the update. Ended up popping the Tensei into the driver, hit four balls on the range and then played in a tournament with it. 11/14 fairways and gained about 10% overall distance. Ball flight is pretty high so I might take the loft on the driver down from +2 to standard because he was getting absolutely no roll.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > Small update. The boy asked about getting a new shaft for his 3w because it "felt like a twig" so I ordered a Fujikura and Tensei (sp?) for him to try. I had been hesitant in changing because he has had great success with it but after watching him hit it a few times this week it does appear that he is compensating for the lighter weight. I guess we'll see how it goes.

>

> Update to the update. Ended up popping the Tensei into the driver, hit four balls on the range and then played in a tournament with it. 11/14 fairways and gained about 10% overall distance. Ball flight is pretty high so I might take the loft on the driver down from +2 to standard because he was getting absolutely no roll.

10% is a lot of gain in total distance

• 1 month later...

Yes - unrelated to juniors, but the Tensei Blue is noticeably MUCH more dull sounding than the Fujikura Pro on my EF driver. The Fuji Pro is a loud can pinging noise in comparison to the duller thud of the Tensei.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

• 4 months later...

this was an eye opening thread. I thought I was a little over the top when I first bought my daughter the Ping 812 to replace her USKG driver. Since she’s gotten a little better, I bought her a set of ProdiG’s through the fairway wood to match the G812. Going forward, my issue is that both my kids are lefties. Right before COVID-19, I got my daughter a Ping G400 SFT in 12.0 degrees because it was on clearance at PGA Superstore and the cheapest ladies flex shaft I could find on EBay which turned out to be a Ping ULT 129. Even though she is only 4’11”, I didn’t even think to cut it down and she seems to hit it well. After the fact, I realized that they make ladies clubs. Does anyone here have their daughters play women’s clubheads? My son usually gets her old clubs so I never really considered them before.

• 1 month later...

My 11yr old son was using a 2016 M2 10.5* with Tensei orange regular.

Just upgraded to Sim Max 10.5* with Ventus red in regular flex.

More consistent with the SIM due to the twist face probably but the M2 was a long combo but a little high and spinny at times.

Sim Max is flatter flight which is better here in TX.

• 2 weeks later...

My son is 10. Currently hitting the XR16 10.5* (adjusted to 11.5*) with the stock Speeder 565 Evo R-Flex, cut down to either 41" or 42" (can't remember off the top of my head). Haven't tried any other OEM drivers or shafts. He likes it and hits it really well most of the time. Ball speed is around 115-120 depending on contact. Carry on center hits is around 180 with total distance around 205-215 depending on firmness of fairways.