Jumbomax Ultralite

dwb7272

Didn’t know whether to start a new post or post in existing post. My question is somewhat different. I have these on a set of mediums on a set. It does make swing weight very light but feel doesn’t feel that way. I wear a medium cadet grip and even though at first they felt so big, I really like them.

Now I am thinking going ultralite to get swing weight more to norm. My question is will this decrease swing speed? Those that have gone to ultralite, do you think your swindspeed has decreased?

Also my approach has been opposite, I have the Jumbomax on all through the 8 iron. 9 throw wedges I put oversized on. To those that use Jumbomax on wedges, what do you think? Thanks for any input.

I'm confused....thread title is Jumbomax Ultralite, you say you have these on your irons and makes swingweight light? Do you mean you have the regular jumbomax and are thinking of going to the ultralites? If going from regular to the ultralites, then yes SW will be close to that of a standard weight grip. Same confusion re swingspeed. SW will be dramatically lower with the regular jumbomax but the total weight will be dramatically higher. In theory your swingspeed should be higher with the Ultralite grips, but then again I'm not sure that is a matter of trial. IMO the best fit for center face contact and directional control is more important!

I'm interested in any commentary on the ultralites as I really like the medium size in the regular, but want to try the medium Ultralite. Most interested in durability.....worried the ultralites will be winn like in durability. TIA

> @dwb7272 said:

> Sorry yes post is confusing. I have regular medium Jumbomax. Wanting to try Ultralite. But I think with heavier grips like normal jumbomax, since so much weight is in grip, you are able to swing a little faster even though total club weight would be heavier.

Only one way to know and that is to get on a reputable launch monitor.....but, and this IMO, highly unlikely all else equal, that your SS would be higher with the regulars (@ + 55g) then the ultralites....caveat being if with the regulars, the SW/moi fit you better vs. the Ultralite, then maybe the ability to be more aggressive and have a higher SS, while maintaining tempo and center face contacts.

I'll be watching this one for sure. I started the other current thread on these and love them. But have always wanted to hear from someone that has played both the Jumbomax regular weight ( for them ) and the Jumbomax ultralights. Don't care about swingweight at all, just curious on the feel and playability ( is that even a word ) between the 2.

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

> @SEP1006 said:

> I'll be watching this one for sure. I started the other current thread on these and love them. But have always wanted to hear from someone that has played both the Jumbomax regular weight ( for them ) and the Jumbomax ultralights. Don't care about swingweight at all, just curious on the feel and playability ( is that even a word ) between the 2.

Thoughts on durability?

Also wandering on firmness of grip? The originals are pretty firm.....I hate the Winn squishy soft feel. By what the description says, seems like these will have same/similar firmness to the originals!

I’ve just dipped my toes in the Jumbomax pond. For the past 5 years I’ve had an on and off battle with my grip. The left hand gets a bit loose in the back swing and I regrip during the downswing shutting the club face. It’s the difference between playing in the low 80’s or the high 90’s. I’ve had success overcoming this by gripping the club more in the palm of my hand. However this created a new problem. I can pickup basketballs one handed so even with oversized traditional grips my finger tips ended up on the heal of my thumb.

Last week a picked up a Jumbomax tour medium grip and put it on my old 8i. The extra girth has solved my grip issues. I’ve had a couple range sessions now and it has been along time since I’ve hit so many perfectly straight shots. The launch angle is bit higher than my normal shot and my distance has been shorter buy about 5 yards. I have an ultralite arriving today and will put it on my current 8i and head to the range.

> @ode1 said:

> Also wandering on firmness of grip? The originals are pretty firm.....I hate the Winn squishy soft feel. By what the description says, seems like these will have same/similar firmness to the originals!

Popped that Ultralite on and went to the range. Ode1, the ultralite feels just like the Tour grip to me very solid.

The grip performance was the same as the Tour model with one important exception my distance was back and maybe a few yards more. Before I order a full set I’m going to try a large and extra large in the Ultralite.

> @Nebraska said:

> > @ode1 said:

>

> > Also wandering on firmness of grip? The originals are pretty firm.....I hate the Winn squishy soft feel. By what the description says, seems like these will have same/similar firmness to the originals!

>

>

> Popped that Ultralite on and went to the range. Ode1, the ultralite feels just like the Tour grip to me very solid.

>

> The grip performance was the same as the Tour model with one important exception my distance was back and maybe a few yards more. Before I order a full set I’m going to try a large and extra large in the Ultralite.

Great! Thanks. I am going to try a medium (have in the regular) and a large!

> @ode1 said:

> > @SEP1006 said:

> > I'll be watching this one for sure. I started the other current thread on these and love them. But have always wanted to hear from someone that has played both the Jumbomax regular weight ( for them ) and the Jumbomax ultralights. Don't care about swingweight at all, just curious on the feel and playability ( is that even a word ) between the 2.

>

> Thoughts on durability?

>

> Also wandering on firmness of grip? The originals are pretty firm.....I hate the Winn squishy soft feel. By what the description says, seems like these will have same/similar firmness to the originals!

The grips are pretty firm without being hard, great secure feel> @Nebraska said:

> > @ode1 said:

>

> > Also wandering on firmness of grip? The originals are pretty firm.....I hate the Winn squishy soft feel. By what the description says, seems like these will have same/similar firmness to the originals!

>

>

> Popped that Ultralite on and went to the range. Ode1, the ultralite feels just like the Tour grip to me very solid.

>

> The grip performance was the same as the Tour model with one important exception my distance was back and maybe a few yards more. Before I order a full set I’m going to try a large and extra large in the Ultralite.

Nebraska - when you say your distance was back after swapping to the Ultralight, what were you using before??

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

> > > @SEP1006 said:

> Nebraska - when you say your distance was back after swapping to the Ultralight, what were you using before??

@SEP1006 For years now I’ve played Golf Pride Tour Velvet Jumbo or +1/8 grips. I tried the Winn oversized wrap grip but felt like trying to grip a sponge. I average 150 carry with my 8i and that’s the club I choose for my testing. When I decide to try the Jumbomax I started with the Tour grip size medium on my 8i. Aiming at the 150 flag at the range. What is saw was all my shots coming up just short but much tighter distribution left and right. Normal for me would be some long some short. With the Ultralite my carry was back to 150 or my normal and the left and right distribution was still tight.

> @Nebraska said:

>

> > > > @SEP1006 said:

> > Nebraska - when you say your distance was back after swapping to the Ultralight, what were you using before??

>

> @SEP1006 For years now I’ve played Golf Pride Tour Velvet Jumbo or +1/8 grips. I tried the Winn oversized wrap grip but felt like trying to grip a sponge. I average 150 carry with my 8i and that’s the club I choose for my testing. When I decide to try the Jumbomax I started with the Tour grip size medium on my 8i. Aiming at the 150 flag at the range. What is saw was all my shots coming up just short but much tighter distribution left and right. Normal for me would be some long some short. With the Ultralite my carry was back to 150 or my normal and the left and right distribution was still tight.

Great and thanks, we have a couple of similarities. I've always played Midsize ( Plus 4's since they came out ) with 2-3 wraps of tape underneath the grip. I like you as used an 8i for my 150 club. FO whatever reason ( getting older I guess ) over the last few months I had lost 10 yards across the boards on all my irons. When I went to the Jumbomax Medium and the DeChambeau 1-plane swing all of a sudden my 10 yards was back. So probably a swing fault that the 1-plane swing fixed.

Either way I'm going to order a few of the Ultralights to try out of curiosity.

Thanks for the input.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

> @dwb7272 said:

> Ok I will pull the trigger and get some ultralights. Will keep you posted.

Update

I ordered the Ultralight medium as the small was out of stock. I only installed on two of the irons so I could compare. I have original mediums on rest of set. The Ultralights change the swing weight about 10-11 points. The feel is the same as far as firmness and honestly couldn't tell much difference comparing the irons. I thought the swingweight difference would be noticeable but I didn't notice it. Not saying these grips are for everybody but I really like them. Ball just wants to go straight with maybe a slight fade.

Well ended up ordering a whole set ( medium ) of the Ultralights. I'm anal ( to a fault probably ) of having all my clubs the same as far as grips go. Should get them Wednesday in time to put on for my normal Thursday after work round. Curious to see if I notice any difference in play-ability.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

• 1 month later...

Any more updates on these? I’ve done the core 360 stuff with Dr. Wright and the Medium grip is almost dead on what my measurement needs to be for my left and right hands on the grip. With that large of grip needed, it’s been hard to get the swing weight normal. I like to feel the weight of the head a bit in my clubs. These seem perfect. I just put one on the three wood tonight. Swing weight back to normal. My only concern is how do they wear over time? They’re obviously some type of hard foam on the end to get the weight down.

Any long term experiences over a month notice any wear?

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

Can't say anything about "long term" use or what that even means . But, I've had mine on for almost 2 months and they are the best grips I've ever used by far. I play 27 holes every Thursday and a minimum of 36 every Saturday and Sunday. These still look brand new with no signs of wear and just as tacky.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

• 5 months later...

I just switched to jumbo max ultra lite. Best I’ve ever swung, so stoked I gave these a shot. I have used jumbo max back in the day and loved it, but the swingweight issues had me going in another direction.

now it’s perfect. Had the best session of my life with them today. Was doing great with an interlocking grip. Then I went ten finger...

?

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

• 1 month later...

The ultra lites are new. I didn’t use the old ones for the weight issues as much as I wanted to

give it time. I know I’m plus cap for first time in large part to ease of use these provide. Maybe I’ll try to go convince them

edit: I dunno who said their numbers are better, mine are not better but more consistent and comfortable (I guess that’s better lol). I can achieve same numbers with skinny grips. Most players grew up on those, not surprising that no one uses the grips that didn’t exist when they started playing the game

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

No but I should have some mediums coming in soon for my wife I’ll measure them for u.

The Ultralight smalls are bigger than a standard Jumbo size grip. I experimented with the smalls, mediums and XL's. Ended up going with the XL. Like extrastiff states the game is just easier with this. I know have have said this repeatedly in this post as well as others. But swapping to the DeChambeau 1-plane swing and the XL Jumbomax Ultralights are easily the best thing I've ever done for my golf game.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

I was hesitant to at first too. I don't wear a glove but when I used to it was a large. I've now got a set of small and 2 sets of medium Ultralights that I am going to eventually put on the BST. I am definitely staying with the XL, I do hold the club in the palm of my hand and not the fingertips. There isn't that much of a difference between the L and XL. So if your undecided I would go with the Large.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

Yeh when I first went to order my XL's they were out of stock as well due to the Covid 19 crap. If I had an extra one I'd send it to you. If I remember right it was like 2 weeks last time to get the stock repleneished.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

Just did some caliper measurements for y’all,

On average that I could measure, Here are the diameters (in inches)of the medium section of grip, as well as the top hand section. My wife has small hands, really likes the feel of the small I do too honestly. I have pretty large hands, really like the xl. I would be able to play the mediums just fine too. I could also play the smalls and be happier than a standard grip, but def prefer the xl the most

Small 1.06, 1.25

M 1.1, 1.3

Xl 1.16, 1.4

• 5 weeks later...

I've been having some issues with gripping too tight on my golf clubs, and after doing some research and hand measurements, I came to the conclusion that I need to be using midsize grips, currently have standard size CP2 wraps. I've been looking over the Jumbo Max grips in medium size, but having never used any of them, which one would you all recommend between the wrap, tour, or ultralite? Not really worried about any supposed swing weight changes, just want to get whichever ones will help my grip/game the most.

Ultra lite.