Miura v. Mizuno (My experience.)

FescueFinder

• 2 months later...

I'm gonna hop in here a little late. I'm in a similar boat as OP here; picked up golf in March 18, and have probably never left the golf course. Went from shooting 120 to being a 3.3 at the moment. Currently on my 3rd set of irons in that time, and just picked up a set of Miura CB's. I hit them at my fitting but ultimately went with 785's because the price didn't justify the marginal better feeling of the Miura's. After 4 months of hitting the 785's and loving them, I saw the same Miura heads online for a steal and couldn't say no. I jumped on it and now they're being built to my specs at my fitting. Can't wait to hit these bad boys. I did notice their lofts are about 2 degrees weaker than most OEM's today so that will take a gapping to adjust, but I'm beyond pumped to get them.

WITB 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3D w/ Ventus Velocore Blue 6X 

3W: Callaway Mav SZ w/ Ventus Velocore Blue 7x 

DI: Callaway X-Forged 2021 w/ Oban Revenge 85HBX

4-8: Miura CB's w/ Nippon Modus Tour 120X

9/pw: Callaway Apex MB 21' w/ Nippon Modus Tour 120X

50,55,60: Vokey SM8 Raw w/ KBS 610 Wedge S+

Putter: Toulon Garage Las Vegas

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the OP regarding feel. I've been playing the Mizuno MP 20 (blended set of blades and MMCs) and recently purchased the Miura TC-201s. While I think the Mizuno's are slightly softer, but there is something about the solidness of the Miura's that's absolutely amazing.

Driver: Epic  Max LS  - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Fairway: Epic Speed 13.5 - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 - Tensei Pro White - 100TX
4-P: Ping Blueprints - X100
Wedges: Vokey SM8 raw 51F, 55F, and 59 low-bounce K - DG TI S400 
Putter: 21' Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: 21' TP5X

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is my little story: for years I was / am a Mizuno addict, I got bag / woods / irons / wedges / hats / gloves / tshirts / balls / shoes and more. I was blown away when I played mp-33s first time, had ping g400 at the time and they felt disgusting after that session; and nothing else came close. I now have jpx900 forged, for the forgiveness. Things were going well until I got a set of miura CB-201. Mizunos feel softer but miuras feel better, go straighter and the distance control / repeatibility is off the charts. It feels like cheating at times, I can stick a number on the club ant it will go the distance like on autopilot. Played few rounds with the miuras and now they are in the bag, scores improved significantly. And the wedges are miura / yururi too, better than fourteen rm-12 that I had. I really wish that mizuno were better than miura but they are not. Haven't tried the miura blades yet, can they be better than cb-201?

I used to play Miura tourney blades. I moved onto mp33 and mp37 and some others and preferred the Mizzy feel. Left the mp line to go Ping S series. Am now back to Mizzy with 919t which I can’t praise enough

If you want to hit ultra pure feeling irons, try the Bridgestone j15 musclebacks... those might be the best feeling irons I have ever played with. I think they are Endo forged .. the experts will know

Thanks for the nice long post, I enjoy reading stories from new addicts and club junkies like myself. There are far worse habits to spend your cash on than golf.

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Here is my little story: for years I was / am a Mizuno addict, I got bag / woods / irons / wedges / hats / gloves / tshirts / balls / shoes and more. I was blown away when I played mp-33s first time, had ping g400 at the time and they felt disgusting after that session; and nothing else came close. I now have jpx900 forged, for the forgiveness. Things were going well until I got a set of miura CB-201. Mizunos feel softer but miuras feel better, go straighter and the distance control / repeatibility is off the charts. It feels like cheating at times, I can stick a number on the club ant it will go the distance like on autopilot. Played few rounds with the miuras and now they are in the bag, scores improved significantly. And the wedges are miura / yururi too, better than fourteen rm-12 that I had. I really wish that mizuno were better than miura but they are not. Haven't tried the miura blades yet, can they be better than cb-201?

Interesting read. Slightly similar to my story as I started with a mixed bag of Miura and Muzino before completely switching over to Miura.

First it was cavity Taylormade RS-TP irons, and then I decided to switch out 7-P irons to Muzino MP-18 blades. I found that the blades forced to concentrate on pure strikes and that soft Muzino feel- it was just soft when you hit it well. I played this combo for a full season. The wedges were Mizuno S-18

The next season I went about replacing the the remaining 3-6 Taylormade RS TP with Miura MB001 in essence going an all blade. The difference in feel between the Mizuno and Miura on pure strikes where just different with the Miura giving you the sensation of a dense erotic feeling. With the Miura I know instantaneously if I miss hit whilst the Mizuno does not give me the same feedback as the Miura.

Last year I went complete Miura MB 001 and the wedges were the Miura Y Grind, and I am loving it.

• Like 1

Chonk,
Well said, mate. It sounds strange to say, but I know that feeling that you're talking about with a well struck Miura. It is a beautiful thing.
I've been grinding a lot over the past months and got a job in a golf shop. I'm now playing MC-501's and absolutely love them. Since I posted this thread I'm down 8 strokes on my cap, mostly due to having a couple putting and driving lessons. My ball striking with irons was never the issue.
Glad to see the thread is still going. I am a true believer in the notion that there is no substitute for quality in irons now. Shinagawa and Miura are the best feeling imo and I am a sucker for feel.@Hotdocta the MC-501's do feel incredible, but even though I bag them, having hit the baby blades, I believe they feel the best. No support at all though and a mishit on cold day could scare you for the rest of a round. I couldn't handle the pressure and went with some forgiveness. @cardoustie I've got to give those Bridgestones a shot. You're the second person who has said that to me, so it must be true! I feel ya about worse things to spend money on. I used to love tuning my car. Put $25,000 into it and made it so appealing that it got stolen and chopped. Insurance covered about 30% of the cost. It was heartbreaking. Golf is cheaper, and I love it more than I ever could any car!
Hope everyone is safe out there and shooting low!
Also, if anyone is interested, I was gonna do a short write up on TC-201 vs CB-301 since we have demos I've hit extensively. Let me know if anyone is at all interested.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 2:20 PM, Hotdocta said:

Mc 501 is the best iron I have ever hit. I have modus 120 and they fit perfectly.

Hi. Could you give a detailed review on this head and shaft combo? I am currently looking to buy this exact combo. Thanks.

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

Top 3 companies for irons IMO.

1. Miura

2. Vega(In my bag)

3. Honma

Truthfully, nothing beats JDM irons from a purist point of view.  Yeah, other companies have the latest and greatest tech like speed foam, tungsten weighting, etc. to help with weight distribution, ball speed, etc, but nothing beats the looks and feel of the JDM companies for irons I mentioned.  I believe it to be the alloys they use and the different forging process the Japanese use to produce some of the legendary offerings. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• 1 month later...

Can anyone give detailed comparison between Miura MC-501 and Mizuno MP20. Both with modus 120 shaft. About to purchase one or the other but not sure yet.

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

• 2 weeks later...

@FescueFinder bummed I never saw this post. Mods made me change my username. I'm glad you've enjoyed my posts and I think it's super cool that you've gone on the quick journey like I have. I can't even count the amount of clubs I've owned and I started playing in April of 2017. I broke par for the first time this past summer and shot in the 60s 6 times while getting my HC down to +0.8 at its best. Sitting at +0.1 now. PB was 66 and all but one of those rounds were with my Miuras. The 57/001 combo was the set I owned for the longest out of all of my clubs but have been sold and now I have my true "forever" set - Tour issue MC501 made for abe ancer with lower offset. Miura make the best/most forgiving forged irons without a doubt. Heavier heads just make sense to me. Just more mass going into the back of the ball. I tested so many different clubs against them and the only ones that came close to making the bag were Srixon Z Forged. I'd like to find a set of baby blades one day as back ups but that will likely wait until I'm done grad school. Hope everyone is staying safe out there. Hopefully we all have a great 2021.

• Like 1

I have owned or hit the vast majority of clubs mentioned in this post.  Here's my take:

Miura MB101 - best irons I have ever owned.  Very workable and solid.  Miss hits are rough so probably for pure iron strikers.  Best turf interaction throughout the year as a whole.

Miura MB001 - played these for years.  I just like the 101's better. If you find a set for under $1,000, you will not be disappointed.

Miura Baby Blades - truly amazing when your game is sharp!  No room for error though.  I don't see any reason to play these over 101's or 001's.  I just own a set to say that I do (ho!).

Miura TC201 - was not a fan at all.  The clubs are large and offset.  Did not fit my eye at all.  Tried a 4 and 5 iron with my 101's and sold them after one round.  The miss was an overcooked draw.  Went back to 101 in the long irons and have been 100% pleased.

Miura MC501 - very solid clubs but the larger profile and increased offset (although minor), did not suit my game.  I think they look absolutely amazing.

Miura CB57/CB501 - owned both sets of these and found them to be very similar.  Nice forgiveness with workability.  Don't get the feedback on these that you do from a blade.  I think these would play very well for someone in the 10 handicap range.

PXG 0311T - not a true blade.  They are too bulky for me although they have thinned out the topline as they rolled out the later generations.  PXG's are super hot and will definitely increase distance.  Control became the issue.  A flushed 7-iron would go 210 when a slightly off-center but solid strike would go 190.  It was almost like they had a 1/4" sweetspot that added 20 yards.  Not good when you sail a green in a tournament!

All Mizuno Blades/Player Cavities - definitely the best bang for the buck.  Buttery smooth across the board.  I like the denser feel of the Miura's but that is personal preference.  I have a refinished set of MP33's that I refuse to play.  Just too pretty.  Mizuno is very in tune with turf interaction.  The sole grinds always seem to be a natural fit similar to Miura.  I also love the clean and classic looks.  You really can't go wrong with a properly fit Mizuno set. 

Also, don't let your handicap deter you from blades.  You are not on tour and one missed shot doesn't cost $100,000.  Blades will force you to become a better ball striker which is the name of the game.  Blades require practice and it sounds like that's not a problem for you.  Hope you just enjoy what you play!  Have a nice 2021 this year fellas!

• Like 3

Yeah, comparing Mizuno with Miura is unfair to Mizuno cuz nothing feels lika a Miura lol (See what I did there (〃'▽'〃)). With that said, Mizuno still makes one of the best irons cuz I own a set of JDM version of MP-18 blade and they felt incredible!

I also tried out Miura's TC-101 (JDM as well, from Miura Giken ( ̄▽ ̄)~*) And they are out of the world. SO F****** SOFT AND RESPONSIVE !!!

If I have to pick between these two, Miura would be the clear winner if it is not on a budget.  

Edited by KodakkuSensei

Cobra SZ 9*  Fujikura ventus black 6X

Mizuno ST190 3w Aldila 6S

Titleist 718 cb 3i Project X LZ 6.0

Mizuno Mizuno Pro 118 5i-PW NIPPON Modus 3 120 TX

Titleist Vokey SM5 50* DG S200

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 54/58 DG 115

Callaway PM Grind 64* KBS Hi-Rev 115

Sik Pro C 35.5"

Bridgestone Tour B X

• 3 months later...

Get the Miura's!  Once you go Miura you can't go back to others lol.  The only irons that felt as good as Miura were the Srixons.

• Like 1

Current "Bag of Tricks"

Driver:  Callaway Maverik 10.5 "Tour Issue" Single Diamond w/Graphite Designs AD-VR5 S 

3W:  Taylormade M1 3HL w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 6 S

Utility:  Taylormade GAPR 3 Low w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 95 S tipped 1"  

Irons:  Miura CB-301 4-PW, SHIMADA S-Shafts, ELITE grips

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey  SM6 F 52/12,      SM7 F 56/14,       SM6 M 60/08 Copper Lmt. Ed.

Putter:  Scotty Tei-22 Fastback 1.5   34"  

Ball:  Titleist Pro V 1X  

Still haven't hit a Miura and I only own 1 Mizuno MP-32 6 iron. It's incredible. My KZG's are Japanese forged and are also amazing, but the Mizuno is at least, if not more so amazing. They have ruined me for other clubs.

This is why I will end up buying a set of Miura because I need to try them.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

• 4 weeks later...

Great journey you are on, you can't go wrong with Miura's. Since the late 80's I have played or tried probably more sets of irons than anyone I know, like you I enjoy it, I like to see what companies that are not well known have to offer. ATM I play MC501 raw with KBS 90 graphite shafts, but in the last year I have tried all of the new TM's and without a doubt anything with speed foam is a no go if you like sound and feel. But from your story your doing well, I say enjoy the journey and if you enjoy hitting different brands go for it. One thing to nail down is what your preference is for lie, shaft weight and swing weight. I'd say based on your story that moving to blades played a substantial role in reducing your handicap, all to often good players shy away from blades when in fact they should hit them and get the feedback that they then can improve from. FG-17's were my first set of blades and it opened my eye's to the world of feel and miss hits. Go hit some persimmon drivers, if you hit one good, your new driver will seem super easy to hit.

• 3 weeks later...

@beazy33, I was in the same boat as you.  I've played Mizuno since the early 2000s, would not consider another brand.

Then my buddy (a first class ho) picked up some Miura blades.  They didn't necessarily feel "better", just different.  But I wanted to hit them again.

I wound up getting a set of Grindworks PR-202s off BST (one of the founders of Grindworks used to be President of Endo and was the founder of Epon).  Flushing these irons is just... sublime.  And I'm playing more consistently with them.  

Mizuno makes great irons.  I'll never sell my MP32s.  But I highly suggest you try out the Miuras. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback