2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Your latest "shot that keeps you coming back"

BeerPerHole

I played 9 holes on vacation in the Cayman Islands recently. We had a first timer with us and in my cart, so my focus was not really on my game. I can only think of one other decent shot in the round, which was sticking an island green on 18. I was off to the right side, with a very long putt, but on is on I guess.

The shot that I remember best was a bunker with an ice cream consistency that was 85 yards out. I hit a SW and put it about 8 feet from the pin. I'm not sure I've ever hit a full shot from a bunker and stuck a green before.

i have a few from this past season, I play at a local 9 hole course. The 6th hole is a 200 yd par 3 downhill. Have had a couple nice shots there, but one round I ended up in the greenside bunker, was hoping to just get out of the bunker and land it close enough for a somewhat makeable bogey try, ended up holing it. The 7th hole is the long hole of the course with a creek that you need to hit about 211 to carry, which is about what I usually hit with my old driver. I bought a "new" driver and have been clearing that creek a little more often than not, but had a beautiful bomb (extremely wind aided unfortunately) that cleared it by about 30 yards and on the right side of the fairway. 8th hole is 140 ish par 3, had a beautiful 5 iron end up pin high, even got to repair a ball mark. The 5th hole is a par 4 that actually doesn't penalize you if you go on the right side of the fairway, so of course I've been hitting it left a lot lately, not a huge deal but just have to go under/through some trees, then up a small hill. Had a drive go left and end up a couple yards short of the aforementioned trees. Grabbed a 5 iron to try a little punch and run, ended up rolling just inches from the hole, as I'm walking up to the ball I'm giving it the hands raised "you couldn't just roll in?"

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

• 1 month later...

I had one two days ago, actually 3. I had hit a big drive over some bunkers and was staring at 90yds to the flag; full lob wedge.

Hit the shot, took a perfect tour divot, and launched it to 3 yards left and 2 yards past the flag, where to my amazement the ball spun back to pin high. Feeling pretty good about that, I immediately dropped a second ball and hit the same shot, only it was a top flite which released a foot or two. Third ball was a chromesoft that went over the stick and spun back to 3 feet. (I never spin back anything).

So I went up and drained all 3 putts. Felt pretty good.

8NX55DFOHYZJ.jpg

Recently revisited my nemesis track where not only did I shoot in the 90s for the first time in many years but also tweaked my back which put me out of the game for a month...truthfully I should've quit mid round as I couldn't even bend over to pick up my ball. Well I started the round with the idea to break 80. Finished the front side plus 1 and then just blew up and had to finish the last two holes -1 to break 80. Birdied the par 5 17th and then tugged my tee shot on hole 18 into the next fairway. Severely downhill, to a green surrounded by water, 168 yards with a tree limb I had to go underneath and then another tree I had to go over. Hit one of the best 7 irons of my life that flew low and then ballooned up over the next tree and landed 15 feet away from the hole pin high...two putt for par to shoot 79. This game is a funny SOB!

Mavrik Sub Zero 8* AD DI 6X

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Callaway Apex UW 17* AD DI 7X

Callaway Apex UT 2 iron  Smoke Black

Sub 70 TC raw 4-pw  KBS 120 Black
Taylormade Hi-Toe 52 and 58

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

Hit two shots on the back 9 yesterday that got my attention as well as attention from playing partners.

On a par 5 after a good but pushed tee shot into the right rough my ball landed close to a tree trunk, and a large bushy tree in front 70yds leaving a tight shot that required not only not hitting the tree trunk with my club but a fade around the big bushy tree. Using 4 iron it turned out perfect landed in the middle and 110yd leave and applause from playing partners. They thought they had me.

Next was on Par 4 #18 dogleg right around a big pond, 450yd. My drive was not my best so I had to rely on my iron/short game. lol Unfortunately, I miss judged the face breeze and 3rd shot landed short of the green. Using 52* I hit the prettiest chip that holed out to save par and finish a challenging day 77. Having not played for 6wks, I struggled with bogies on the front trying to find my swing, which didn't show up till #10.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Holeout from the bunker on a par 5 for a birdie.. This is a course i play alot so i know it well. Dogleg left around a lake. Hit a nice drive, draw around the corner. Middle of the fairway.. To far out to go for it in 2 so i laid up with a 6 iron. Yanked my 3rd shot into the greenside bunker. Hit a 54 degree wedge out of the bunker that landed about 15 feet from the cup and just curled into the cup for a birdie 4..

Tough par 4. 420 yds, downhill, narrow fairway, creek on the left, trees right, fairway slopes hard to the left. Hit the perfect 5 yard fade into the fairway. Left with about 75 yds. Awkward pitch uphill to a plateaued green, over a creek. Pin tucked all the way on the left side with nothing but dead left. Hit a nippy little spinner that landed just left of a ridge, took the slope trickled down to about 4 feet. Played the hole perfectly.......missed the putt lol. par.

Tuesday afternoon 178yrd Par 3 Pin back left, wind into from the right. Gusty 15-20mph.

Purred 6 iron with a very slight draw. hardly felt the ball leave the clubface. Knocked it about 2-3ft and made the putt for the bird.

This hole often trips me up, especially on windy days as it is well guarded with bunkers in front and flanking, and desert everywhere else.

Same day I birdied my other nemesis hole, a 420yrd, uphill par 4 that I'm usually hitting a 3 or 4 hybrid into from around 180-200. Sometimes it's a 4 wood.

Smoked my drive and had a 6I in. made a 15 footer and ran....

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

• 2 weeks later...

300 yard downhill par 4. Hit a drive right that left me in a bad spot under some trees maybe 30 yards off the green, which was still downhill from me.

I had to go under the trees to have a chance at the green.

Punched a low 7 into the side of the fringe, hopped up on to the green and rolled to a foot.

Literally exactly how I drew it up in my head.

I've had neck problems for about 8 months now I think, and serious sucking problems before during and after the neck issues.

I considered quitting for an extended period.

I persevered and finally broke down and went for a lesson with a new pro, the best and most well known in my area.

This guy was light years beyond anyone I'd met before with teaching me what was wrong. Within the hour lesson he fixed my grip, backswing and follow through.

The weak shitty high right ball was now draw, straight, or baby fade.

I went right to the course and walked 9 to keep the feeling. I've played almost every day since, and this was a week or so ago.

Today I played 9, only got 6 in due to sunset and slow groups, but I parred 3 holes, bogeyed 1, doubled 1 and tripled 1, all unforced errors not really swing but focus.

One driver was baby fade that fit the hole shape, followed by a wedge to 3 feet and a missed birdie putt.

There was one perfect 3 wood. One perfect 5 wood into the wind that died, but whatever, it felt pure. And there was one 30 foot putt.

I'm beyond grateful to this guy for showing it to me on trackman (overkill considering how crap my game is in comparison to a real player), and fixing my problems without screwing me around.

And I'm ready to play all the time now.

Good news tho, baby number 2 is coming in a few weeks, so I won't lose my job playing bogey golf, but today felt amazing.

• 1 month later...

Went driver 7 iron to 5 feet for a birdie on hole 12 on the 420 yard par 4 on my course that usually kicks my @$$. Felt fantastic to finally play that hole well. I usually have to play it like a par 5 because of the creek just short of the green.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

My latest great shot was at the range and I usually override the load on driver and power thru it but this time I was working with the load and timing impact with it and it was eye opening.....

BUT then I got a bad case of diverticulitis where my gut was killing from an infection and I cant play for a few weeks so Im Jonesing hard to get back out there and experiment more with driver load lol!

Can't figure how to like my own posts

Hit a drive off into the woods on a par 5, leaving me about 230 yards from the hole. The ball was laying on dirt, with low hanging branches only a few yards in front of me, with a small "window" to shoot through. Took out the 4 iron and hit a low stinger shot perfectly through the window, about 200 yards right in the middle of the fairway.

My new Epic Flash Sub Zero 3 wood has also been deadly. Thing goes long and straight. Off the tee, off the deck, off the second cut. It never fails to impress me, makes me really feel good about my golf game.

Played a very tough course yesterday. Opened each 9 with a birdie, which is unheard of at my skill level. Both times, I hit a beautiful 7i draw to 4 feet. And followed it up with a double on the next hole. Eff you, golf.

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

I'm a 2.5 HCP that's realistically a 5 HCP (had a daughter 2 years ago and not much golf anymore. Played on Sunday, and grooved a smooth 85, but it was a very strange round where it felt more like something in the mid-high 70s. Hit driver great, struck my irons on most of the holes like my version of tour player. Had 4 doubles and a triple.

What keeps me coming back is hitting the ball solid like I did. Best shot of the day was a high cut 4-iron from 209 into a par 5 that set up a birdie. Also a 5 iron from 197 (slightly downhill) to about 10 feet. Course was about 6500 yards playing closer to 6800.

I don't care much on what I shoot anymore. I know I can't hit it like I used to. As long as I'm hitting solid shots, I'm having fun. Those days where you can't do anything are miserable.

Was having an up and down day, and got to a very short par 4. 240 yards, with room to bail out to the right but with plenty of traps, and to the left was a sharp drop off to a creek. The flag was tucked just left of the center of the green. I picked a spot just right of the flag, hit a beautiful drive that drew to the right of the green and curled to the left of the green. I missed my eagle putt but made the birdie. Nothing better than a shot coming off just as you pictured it.

I shot the best back 9 of my life today, and my first time under par for 9 holes, with a 35. I capped it off with a tap in birdie on 18 after my approach shot ended up literally an inch from an eagle. I couldn't have been happier. 9/9 greens in regulation on the back, too! I've never had a stretch like that before. I'm pretty sure that my previous best 9-hole stretch was a 38 or 39.

I paired this 35 with a 45 on the front, complete with two lost balls on the first two holes, which is fodder for the "biggest scoring gap between 9 holes" thread.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

My last one that I was super proud of was the final hole in a tournament last weekend. The back 9 at the course I was at is notorious for being way harder than the front. I made it to 18 with nothing but 3's 4's and 5's, so was feeling really good. Chunked my drive trying to lay up short of the creek. 2nd shot hit a tree dropped into the creek. Had to drop behind the tree because of where I went into the hazard and had to chip straight sideways. 5th shot I was 350 yards out on a par 5 and still not across the creek. Ended up making roughly a 60 foot putt to "save" a 7 and let out the biggest fist pump I've had in a long time. Still a dumpster fire of a hole but could have been far worse and ended up shooting 1 stroke lower on the back than I did on the front.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Played this past sunday. 9th hole is a par-5 playing about 460 that day, but uphill and was into the wind.

Still dialing in the new driver (TS4), trying to retain my default draw but without the miss left.

Aimed up the right side and the ball started turning over halfway up the hill.

Wound up just outside 160 to the pin, over water (and again into the wind). Hit a 6 iron (took 2 extra clubs) to about 20ft.

Read a severe break left and downhill. Aimed 6 feet right of the hole and got it rolling... back of the cup for an eagle. Yeah buddy!

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Earlier this week I was playing a college player and the bet was carried over 7 holes on 18. I'm hitting my approach 97 yards from a front pin about 4 yards on. Wind was at 2 o-clock from 15-20 mph. My competitor was on the green with a straight uphill 12-footer for birdie. I hit a 50* wedge with a 9 to 3 swing and flighted the ball about 25-30 ft. high. The ball landed about 2 ft. from the front of the pin and rolled to within a ball from the cup for a tap-in birdie. My competitor lipped out his putt and I took the 7 skins which was really a net 3 for him kicking my butt earlier in the day. 'twas a good day.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Last Sunday & it was the last 2 holes. Seventeen is a par five with the tee shot over a pond. Hit is well, but too much fade & in the thicker grass. Have 164 uphill to the pin with the ball about halfway in to at least 3" tall grass. Went a club up since it was uphill & the lie. Creamed the ball over the green. There is a 3 foot rock wall around the green & I am up in the pine trees past it. So have about 5 feet to the rock wall, about 10 feet of apron & around 20 feet to the cup. A yucca plant is the first thing to clear, then cannot go very high due to low pine tree branch. Get all the guessing done & hit the shot.........end up with a 4" tap in birdie. It is the guys I always play with. They loved it, say me from the very beginning on looking at everything and lining things up. About the time I start lining up one of them says "I bet he gets on & close"......no takers.

Then 18 is a dogleg left par 4. Long iron up the middle, or try the driver to clear trees & be under 100 in. Hit 3 iron middle of fairway and have slight uphill with about 125 to pin. Hit it about 6 feet past & have a downhill putt with a little over a cup of break to the left. Another birdie.......really helps make up for the 2 double & 1 triple bogies earlier in the round.

#18 at Oak Quarry last week. 340 yards that day, water up the right side, slight dogleg right. Pretty elevated tee box.

After a pretty solid 38 on the front (where an unlucky bounce on reachable par 5 #2 left me with an impossible bunker shot that lead to a really crappy double), the wind picked up on the back, I started missing fairways, forgot how to putt and was just playing terrible. Was also feeling a bit sore since I walked Rustic Canyon the day before - probably a bit too much for my first round back and being a bit out of playing shape after 3 months off.

I was a little bummed after that front but I'd had such a fun day, I was like "Ok, just go after this last one ... you haven't hit a single damn fairway on the back anyway."

Tee it high, set up with it more forward than normal and just let it go ... to produce the prettiest high fade that was tracking right at the green. Lands about 20 yards short, one hop and rolls up JUST to the front edge. Chip to 4 feet and close the round with a birdie.

Easy game.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

A few from today.

7i to 2 feet from 155y, birdie

On the following hole 4i from 186y to 2 feet for an eagle. This shot was one of my all time best. The pin was tucked on a narrow part of the green and guarded by a bunker with 8 yards of rough between the green and bunker. I carried the bunker, landed in the rough and the ball gently bounced on the green and stopped near the hole.

Finally, 5w from 200y to 10feet , water to the right of the green and bunkers down the left side of the Fairway approaching the green. Hit a nice stinger that never went higher than 5ft. Ended up on the fringe, pin high. 2 putt birdie.

Yesterday, I had most of a back nine that could qualify. The shots were all short game related. I had a not so good day off the tee (gross understatement, no club worked), and on my front nine, short game wasn't working too well. After a water ball and double on #10, I had a total of 9 putts on the last 8 holes, with 1 GIR (the lone 2 putt), all thanks to my wedges returning from the dead. I chipped or pitched to tap in range on six of those seven missed GIR.

Kind of thing that can give a body hope, however slight.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors