2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Pinehurst 2 worth it?

It all depends on your definition of 'worth it'. I played there about 60 days ago and would play it again tomorrow. It is not a very 'scenic' course as compared to other Top 10 courses. It is fairly flat and some of the holes look similar. But if you value a truly Championship caliber course, I would say it is worth it. The course is not tricked up, it just gets harder and harder the closer you get to the hole. I have played all of the ranked courses in Wisconsin (Sand Valley, Mammoth Dunes, Erin Hills, Whistling Straits, Blackwolf Run, etc) and would put this course as one of my top 3-4 that I've played. If you can afford the $400, I would jump at it. If the $400 would kill your golf budget for the year, I would say skip it.

Tobacco Road was a lot of fun and I would try to play if possible. If you want the Pinehurst challenge, but don't want to spend the money, go play MidPines instead.

• Like 1

Impossible for me to know how much $400 means to you (and it has very little to do with how much money you have, I know some very wealthy people that won't pay over $100 to play golf even though it is like me spending $1) but I love #2. If golf is more about amazing vistas or huge elevation changes to you then you won't think it is worth it. It is definitely subtle in many ways.

• Like 1

so here is my take. Yes it's worth it but there are so many subtle nuances throughout the course you'll really wish you could play it again so you have a better feel for it. I think it's an incredibly difficult course the first time around with or without a caddy. IMO

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

I played it a few years back with a member. *Its cheaper rate with a member

Would I play it again.......I doubt I would at that price. As others have noted it does have a lot of subtle aspects. You need to place the ball in the correct area of the fairway to have to solid chance for the green complexes. Though it sounds odd.. IF you are trying to really score on the course you really have to know the it well or have a damn good caddie. I joked after the round... as flat and unassuming as it looks, it really is a target type track if your trying to score. It will work you mentally for sure.

If you are doing a package deal with the resort where it is a $195.00 add then I would.. The history of the course is a big draw of course. walking in the foot steps of the greats,. The course I was not awe struck with, though it is a good track. I think Pine Needles is a way better track personally from a golf aspect.

Its one the tracks you can check off the list which is a big reason everyone plays it.

In PH area there are a ton of other fantastic tracks to play in the area for a lot less. The 3 that seem to be on everyone's list for good reason: Pine Needles, Mid Pines and Tobacco Road as you noted. (if you are doing Tobacco road, call them and ask if they you can book a Tobacco Road / Dormie Club combo....TR Booking can still get tee times for Dormie Club)Tobacco Road is a course you have to try once. You will love it or hate it. I am still not sure about it but yet I still play it when we go LOL. I played it with a friend last year, his first time... after the round his response was there are 13-14 good holes and then 4-5 WTF holes.

It is less than $100 difference to play #4 so it would still be a big chunk of money to pay out. I just played no. 4 a couple of weeks ago at a significantly reduced rate and would not even think about paying full rate to play it again. I would say Dormie or Mid Pines for a similar experience for a good bit of savings.

8NRO7RT3Q23Y.png

Taylormade SIM2 9* AD-BB7x
Taylormade M2 3W
Titleist 913Hd 20*
Srixon Z585 w/Nippon 125TX 
Cleveland CBX2 50* & 56*
Odyssey 2Ball Fang

WOW never knew they jumped the price on No.4 that much.

Honestly a bit odd, because if you do a package deal (IE: Summer Tee Package) all the courses are included for play based on availability.......minus No.2 which is the $195 upgrade to the package. Sooo in the package No.4 is the same price as No.1 technically then? Based on the chart there is $200 difference. I am sure they pro-rate it that everyone is going to play 4 / 8 and whatever else looks good.

Back on topic. IF you have a day the Cradle for $50 all day is worth it. Play... eat/drink... Play.......see the history in the clubhouse.... play.... eat/drink...heck maybe play it again.

It’s always hard for me to justify paying top $ for a course when I can fund an entire trip or golf for the same price as 1 round. I made the trip to the sand hills area a couple years back and we skipped Pinehurts golf and had a blast. We did make sure to take time to see the resort and ate at the Carolina Room which was really good.

My favorite course on the trip we played was Dormie Club. I know there is chatter about it going fully-private. If you have a chance to play it, don’t miss it.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

I played 2. It cost about $550 after caddie. I loved it, and it was a great memory. Very cool course.

However given your budget constraints I would certainly suggest you check out Mid Pines or Pine Needles. Both are great and probably less than half of the cost of Pinehurst 2.

if budget was really a concern, you could check our Southern Pines. An old Ross that has great bones but isn’t in the same kind of condition as the Pinehurst resort courses.

I cant say if much better than this.

The only other thing i would add. If you do play it. Make a day of it. Get there plenty early to enjoy the range and short game area. They are both first class. Have enough time to browse the hallway of the clubhouse.

Eat in the new grill and enjoy a beverage overlooking 18 if you can get a table there.

Take a round on the cradle short game course that can be walked and played in about an hour.

Don't try to cram No. 2 in as part of a 36 hole day. In my opinion it is a course that should have the day to itself and just enjoy the amenities of the resort.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

As others have said, it all depends on your definition of "worth it".

From a pure quality of golf course to price ratio, probably not.

If you're into checking off famous/top courses, it's on the list for sure.

I would frame the question as: "Would I regret taking a trip to Pinehurst and NOT playing #2?". For me that would be kind of like going to St. Andrews and not playing the Old Course, or visiting Paris and not going to the Eiffel Tower.

• Like 1

I play to a 4 HDCP and If I was not playing with a member who knew the course as well as he did I would of shot over a 100 LOL

Sabram is 100% right. No.2 is not a visual / photogenic course by any means. Adding to it, once on the course it seems sooooo "straight forward", hate to say it but sorta simple from the tee, right in front of you type of course YET It will beat you down in a bad way if you don't respect it. I still think it is one the tougher mental / thinkers courses I have played. and we had no wind. Though I played it in late June/July and it was firm and fast..!!!

Keep thinking about No.2 last night based on this thread, There are a lot of fantastic tracks in the area for half the cost or 25% of the rate BUT if you really want to check it off the list it might be worth it. All comes down to each person and how important it is to them.

You may want to check with Duke as it is currently closed. Finley and Lonnie Poole are both open currently and are just as good as Duke. I know you mentioned June so Duke may be open by then.

-P

Taylormade SIM2 9* AD-BB7x
Taylormade M2 3W
Titleist 913Hd 20*
Srixon Z585 w/Nippon 125TX 
Cleveland CBX2 50* & 56*
Odyssey 2Ball Fang

Well this thread is of great interest to me for sure. Next year is my 25th wedding anniversary and my wife and I are taking a trip to the Pinehurst resort. I am currently playing to about a 13, but have been single digits in the past (5 year layoff from golf, just came back this year). I am not a long hitter by any stretch of the imagination, but plan to play one of my 4 rounds at No. 2. I just cannot live with myself if I didn’t play it while I was there. The extra $195 is not too bad and I am a huge Payne Stewart fan. I still have a signed hat from the 1999 US Open both Payne and home town hero Tom Watson signed it for me. Will I shoot triple digits, probably, but I do not care as I am more about the history and enjoyment of the course and it’s subtleties. I will also pick 3 more courses to play as well as a round at Tobacco Road. Enjoy your trip and don’t worry about scores. They do not matter in the one round we get to play called life...

• Like 1

You'll be fine as long as you play the appropriate tees and tske a caddie. Guaranteed 5 shots saved there at a minimum.

It's been said and very accurately I believe, No. 2 is a tough par, but an easy bogey. Meaning there is essentially no OB and no water. So no penalty strokes helps eliminate really big numbers. It's all in the short game there. If you can get a wedge on the green in one attempt and listen to your caddie, you'll probably score better than you think.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

If you don't think you'll be back anytime soon you should play it. The history, uniqueness of greens, challenge - such a gem and would be a shame not to experience it. You will come away bruised but with a greater appreciation for architecture and have experienced on of the all time great courses in the world. It's such a treat that this has remained open to the public, albeit at an aspirational price

I would echo Dormie, mid pines and tobacco road. Dormie and MP are head and shoulders better than anything else at Pinehurst save no. 4, and are very fun. No. 8 is also good but doesn't feel as classicly Pinehurst as the 2, 4 and MP. Lastly, the cradle is a blast, plan on playing at least once if you're staying on property.

TM M1 9.5* Kuro Kage XT70 X
TM M2 Deep 16.7* Kuro Kage XT80 X
PXG 0317 19* Kuro Kage 80HY TX
Mizuno MP64 4-PW C-Taper S
Vokey SM5 50-55-60 C-Taper S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2