MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Agree with Fabb on junk. Keeps it fun and interesting. Just a lot of investment to learn what all the terms mean. I need to go back and see if NLU ever did a "definition of terms" for all that during their wolfhammer phase.

On the NLU topic, I cant remember laughing so hard recently as watching their left-handed shootout this week. 18 minutes well spent.

edit/ Here is the "hammer tablet" that includes definitions for most of the dots.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

I don't know, I guess I don't need everyone to be in every hole during a match. Its a match. No matter what the match or who's playing, I feel like over the course of 18 holes everyone will be in their pocket on a few. I must have been in my pocket for a handful of holes during our match at WM, I didn't feel disinterested at all. Sounds like the participation trophy of match play. YOU get a dot and YOU get a dot and the guy way in the back, YOU get TWO dots - DOTS FOR EVERYONE.

For those who dont know me, thats mostly sarcasm.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

#oprah

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Playing tons of crazy junk is good for a couple things

1) just mixing it up instead of doing the same old thing all the time

2) Grinding for pars. Like your partner might be in there for birdie and you just miss the fairway and the green, but your up and down means something. And, gets you rolling a lot of "next one is good" putts. That's good match play practice.

3) lots of ball busting and crazy stuff. Still remember 2More rolling in an eagle last year and I think before the ball him the bottom of the hole he goes, "hogan. wasabi. poley. eagle. birdie."

One dumb thing about his game is that it's better to miss the fairway and miss the green than it is to miss the fairway and hit the green or hit the fairway and miss the green. Basically, if you make par, it's almost hard not to get a dot in this game, especially since a lot of regular pars are hogans and a lot of irregular pars are 2mores or Poleys or sandies. The only pars you don't get a dot for are fairway -> miss green and rough -> hit green AND the par putt is inside the stick.

If your partner is in for par and you hit the fairway and then the rough, it makes more sense to chip your ball outside the pole because it's your highest percentage at a dot.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I thought a 2-putt birdie doesn't count as a wasabi, or at least that's how I've played it. I guess technically that first putt is an approach?

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I sometimes have this happen, mainly at bristow in my league. Its a lazy habit I guess, but for me its simply based off of aligning with one tee box marker and assuming the other is even with it, and never really bothering to turn around check. Just assume my general spatial estimate is fine. My bro in law who is my partner pointed it out about mid season, and asked why I do that and I didnt even know I was and it had happened a few times lol. So now I tee up about a foot behind just to avoid it.

I really only seem to have done it in league, because I dont give a sh*t about it because guys with 15 hcs on 9 holes, are carding 39s on the reg lol, so my level of F's to give is empty, but any tournament or other round with people that matter I pay better attention to it since then.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

I just wanted to quote a long @ss @eagle1997 quote for the hell of it. Always enjoyed these detailed posts, when they did happen.
I saw a mention of Whiskey's urinal, but for an upscale course, the locker room itself is pretty lacking. No real shower, no free Gold Bond, etc.
I have not been back in years, but great memory of Whiskey playing with City, Domes, and Bae-rat, with my smoking drives and chunking wedges. First day I saw the Unicorn driver. Similarly, played a DCGT event with Goose at Worthington, wedged to kick-in birdie on the back (14?) in front of the clubhouse with Eagle pressed up against the glass watching.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

That's good match play practice

You know what else is good match play practice? Playing actual match play.

5JQOVTHC2K67.gif

I cant imagine a game that encourages you to not want to chip as close to the hole as possible is good practice for that.

8M0DU50F1345.gif

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

As always my policy is this - if we're playing something complicated, just keep track for me and tell me how much you owe me at the end of the match.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Yes x1000

i play with a few guys who always seemingly want to play junk and presses, yet refuse to keep count. Honestly I’ll play anything people want but I think presses are the most stupid thing. In a Nassau, you have three different “matches” going. Trying to make another mini match when you are playing poorly or getting your butt handed to you is a cop out. I’ve been on the losing end of many of those and a press would not have made any difference and only tilted my game harder into making dumb decisions.

Nassau with $1 or $2 birds is most fun and still gives you chance to compete.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

My rule on presses has always been the person who's down decides - no auto presses or anything like that.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

In my old regular group we played $5 Nassau $1 dots. Birdies, partner pars sandies. The first press on each side was auto. After that you call it. The match press was up to the team that was down. We never wanted anyone to get hurt too bad. It's was to keep everyone grinding and not just picking up.

Winner always put the money in th middle for beers

Typically play $6/3 nassau, press at will (if accepted) junk (eagles birdies greenies sandies) count the same as a press ... dont think you should win the match & lose $$ but i did just win a tight one & lost 4 ways bc of all the junk ... also hate when people try to give a final press to get over the top in winnings

Worthington Mash Musket are great ... theres a lot of good golf around & if it gets firmer faster WTFO

Doing bed springs tomorrow (today) ... cant wait

my main match these days is "10 5 closeout. Dollar junk". It's a 10 dollar 18 hole match with an auto 5 dollar press when it's over. Otherwise, just walk off the course when the match is over.

With a little prodding from 2More, I'm hoping to start playing for higher stakes this year. I'd like to get a 33/33/34 nassau going. You lose 3-ways, you lose a hundo.

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I talked briefly about stakes with city yesterday.

I'm not sure how much I'd have to play for, to feel different than "normal" games/matches I tend to play. Then, I assume like most things, it would become normal. I'd need to up the stakes again to feel different, and on it would go.

To what end? I want to win, whether it's for shiggles only, or for an uncomfortable amount of money. I've got a wife, and kids at home. We're not gonna go hungry if I go out and lose a hundred bucks, but what's the point? I'm just not sure that personally, upping the ante really does a whole lot for me.

I got out for a round yesterday with city, pq, and their club champion.

I haven't been at work. I haven't been really anywhere, besides the grocery store. I haven't been in any social situations. I've been home with my family, every day, for 8'ish weeks now. Then all the sudden I was out walking around with 3 dudes, like everything was "normal" again. I'd be remiss if I said it didn't feel weird/uncomfortable to some degree. I'm sure some people are champing at the bit to get away from their family. I'm pretty much the opposite. It was the first glimpse of what returning to society is going to feel like, mentally. I think it's going to be a much greater challenge, and stress, than it has been to stay home.

The golf wasn't too bad, all things considered. I started my "winter break" in the middle of November, and only broke out of it with two rounds at the beginning of March, before covid hit the fan. Basically a 6-month break, which is my longest probably since I hurt my wrist. There were some encouraging shots, and some sloppy stuff. About as expected.

I resisted putting with the flag in at close range all last year, but covid is gonna force me to tackle that mental hurdle.

We did a fun match when the club champ joined us on hole 7, with he and city playing against pq and me. They gave us a 3-hole lead to start, and made a really strong late charge, ultimately winning the 18th hole with a city birdie out of the trees to halve the match.

It was nice to be outside, and to play. I'm a little surprised I'm not more jazzed about golfing. I figured I'd be like an addict falling off the wagon. As soon as I got a round in, I'd be full on jonesing for more. But, I'm not. I'm not looking at the forecast, lining up my next round. I'm not feeling geared up to start practicing. I'll get out again, but it just doesn't feel pressing yet.

Sorry guys, thanks for tagging me in. I am indeed a member at Stoneleigh, and I love the course. Its not long, but a good challenge, great views, friendly members and staff. However, its pretty severe in spots, probably completely unfair in a few, so it can be pretty polarizing. Some tiered greens, steep slopes, blind shots, it has all of that fun stuff. Its also a really tough walk the first time you do that, even though we have lots of guys (and women) who walk it regularly.

So there are a few reasons why it wouldn't be mentioned in a "favorite course" list. The other is that Stoneleigh is private, and I don't see a lot of private clubs discussed in most "favorite" lists. However, we're always happy to welcome new members, I'll be happy to get anyone in touch with the membership director, and to act as tour guide for your first visit if the timing works out.

• Like 1

We went straight in to summer weather today. I was out chipping in sweatpants and short sleeves and was sweating walking around. I need to find my shorts.

Seeing everyone speak highly of it, I need to get back to Musket Ridge. I haven't played it in years. It's an extra 20 minutes drive past things like PB Dye and Worthington. I remember it being in good condition with great views, but I didn't love the layout. I don't think I was playing well that day, which doesn't help. I recall a lot of holes cut in to the side of hills, which I don't like.

I do remember liking the 18th hole, and the clubhouse had a good porch that let you watch a couple holes.

Got out for 27 holes this morning. Hitting up some Call of Duty this afternoon and then our Zoom poker game tonight. Throwing in some leftover pulled pork for lunch and its pretty much the perfect day.

Was nice to have a good warm day for once, ball was really flying out there and the greens were absolutely glass today, just perfect. I seem to be stuck in this 76-80 rut though, if I keep after it I know thats going down but it just feels very rutty right now. Looks like it will be raining 3-4 days next week so I'm going to take advantage of this weekend, hope everyone else is able to get out too.This has come up in our weekend game from time to time. Its $30 a man but we're thinking of having a double or triple day one day a month for whoever wants to play. Just to kick it up a notch for one day. I love the 33/33/34 idea.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Sully, you should give Musket another chance. The course can be unforgiving off the tee if you are not driving the ball well with hill on one side and trees on the other.

Great views, great staff and some nice holes - cheaper too. Also and I’ve mentioned this before, a round on your birthday is free without exception. Combine that with a paid round at Whiskey or Worthington on the way back and it’s a good day!

• Like 1

CityGame and Fortner took the full bill off me and eagle today. What amazing weather and a nice leisurely 3:50 walk, we never had a group within anything less than 2 holes away. The front nine was decided by a net eagle on the 9th hole, and I'm pretty sure the staff roofied our beer at the turn because the back nine was not recognizable golf. It was great to have one of the first rounds back with familiar faces.

Conditions: 15/10? We must have been the second group to play this morning and the greens were immaculate, as were the bunkers. Post-lockdown fairways have barely any divots.

My conditioning: 6/10 meh. Need more cardio to be fresh down the stretch.

Driving: 8/10, not polished but promising

Iron play: 4/10, much doodoo, needs work

Short game: 6/10, needs polish but not as bad as I thought it would be, but still cost me too many strokes

Putting: 8/10, speed was good but reads not that great.

• Like 1

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Frankly you can lump the 95/beltway/270/70 little carved out square into one.

Blue Mash

Waverly Woods

Worthington Manor

Whiskey Creek

Clustered Spires

PB Dye

Little Bennett

MD National

Musket Ridge

Hampshire Greens

Northwest

I’ve played all of them multiple times. If you live in a place like Olney or Damascus they are almost all within 30 mins. I’d imagine that line up of geographically concentrated PUBLIC golf courses is tough to beat. Hell some of the other MoCo courses like Laytonsville, Rattlewood and Poolesville aren’t bad either.