The surprising Callaway Fusion driver

sfdoddsy

Put the Fusion back in the bag for this weekends round. Had been playing the G400 Max for the last year but on a whim, put in the Fusion fairways back in the bag for today’s round and forgot how easy these are to launch and fly. They were impressive to say the least.

Didn't have a great driving day with the Ping, so the Fusion driver goes back in.

Can’t wait.

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G425 7W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 3-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

Ok, so honestly haven't read the whole thread. Sorry. Is there any comparisons to the Rogue SZ. Yes I understand that the heads are aimed at different golfers, but did anyone go from one to the other with better results?

Ian.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

I find it hard to get rid of my fusion 16 driver. Feels sounds looks great i have no complaints. Also accurate. You can tell when your not being accurate or when a driver is aiding in your inaccuracy. If your on with this driver then youll be in the fairway all day. Distance also not a problem. Some of my biggest drives with this wood. 290? Yeah ill take that. Thats not every drive now but here and there i know i can krank one if the hole is wide enough. Probably average around 240 with it. I have rogue and mavrik which i havent used mavrik yet because of a certain pandemic happening at the momment but i just cant seem to want to het rid of it. Especially when everyone wants to buy it for $100 or less... this is no $100 or less driver. So i cant see it going bye bye.

All courses in BC Canada have been for forced to close now. Bummer, was looking forward to hitting the Fusion driver this weekend.

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 3-UW

All courses in BC Canada have been forced to close. Bummer. Was looking forward to this weekends round and hitting the Fusion driver again.

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 3-UW

• 4 weeks later...

Courses starting to reopen so finally got to play the Fusion driver again for the first time in years. Hit 10/13 fairways and long as well.

The surprising Callaway Fusion driver is right.

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 3-UW

Been hitting driver alot further this year, 260-280 total vs 230-250 last year. Found I was having a really hard time slicing it with the added distance. Changed out the stock Diamana M+(red high launch profile) for a S+(blue mid launch profile, I have been using in my 5 wood with good success).

Instant improvement, much better consistency and way less problem leaving it out right. Both are stiff but S+ seems stiffer and more in control. Launch stayed basically the same, 16* Launch Angle with under 2000 backspin. 9* head set to neutral.

Shaft change may keep the Fusion firmly in my bag.

• 5 weeks later...

I remember hitting the Fusion back in 2017 and comparing it to my two favorite heads at the time, the TM AeroBurner and 2017 M2.

I did all my testing on a Foresight GC2 launch monitor, so the only hard data I had was ball speed, spin, and launch angle...but the Fusion was so good compared to the TM heads that it definitely got—and kept—my attention.

After that round of testing, I stuck with the 2017 M2 because I didn't want to play a "game improvement" driver like the Fusion, even though the launch monitor numbers suggested it might actually be the best fit. My rationale for choosing the M2 was that I had a few balls go uncomfortably left with the Fusion, and the left side of the golf course was my biggest enemy back then.

••••••••••

After tearing a ligament in my right wrist in July 2017, my driving went to sh*t. I went from ball speeds in the mid-170s to the low-160s; my contact became grossly inconsistent; and I lost confidence in what had formerly been my greatest weapon.

While trying to "find something," I bounced around between the 2017 M2, AeroBurner, Ping G, Ping G400 Max, and Callaway Rogue, but nothing had a positive, lasting effect on my driving.

Eventually, I gained access to a Trackman, and I was able to pair some better data to my anecdotal results. The numbers were underwhelming—no matter which head I used, my smash factor was between 1.44 and 1.48.

Considering your driver should deliver the highest smash factor in the bag, 1.44–1.48 simply isn't going to cut it.

I already knew my smash factor was trash with driver, but I started to become less accepting of this fact earlier this year when I hit the SIM 15º fairway metal. Every strike with this thing was between 1.49 and 1.51, which seemed to suggest that similar results could/should be possible with a driver.

••••••••••

Right before quarantine started, I ordered a TM SIM Max 10.5º head that performed well during testing, with smash factors up around the 1.48 mark and a nice, high launch. As soon as I got my actual head, though, my smash factor dropped to 1.47 (at best), and I couldn't keep the ball off the right side of the course.

Frustrated, I swapped out the SIM Max for a Titleist TS3 head, which also produced smash factors of 1.47–1.48 during testing. I liked that TS3 head a LOT—it felt fantastic, and the ball did what I thought it should do based on the feeling at impact.But a 1.48 smash factor is still pretty undesirable if that's the best number you ever see.

And on top of that, Titleist went into coronavirus lockdown, and the TS3 head I ordered was delayed indefinitely.

Impatient and annoyed with my driver testing, I went over to eBay and made an impulse purchase for the ages: a Callaway Fusion with Matrix Black Tie 75M4.

••••••••••

This past Tuesday, I scheduled a Trackman session with two friends who actually have good golf swings (unlike my gorilla hulk smash move), and we went crazy with smash factor testing.

We hit damn near every club you can imagine, and we kept at it for 3.5 hours, generating over 250 shots of data.

Out of all those shots, only four drivers produced smash factors of 1.49 or higher:

• TM SIM 9º

• Titleist TS3 8.5º (9.5º topped out at 1.48)

• Cobra SpeedZone 9º (I couldn't get this thing over 1.44, but one of the guys was 1.48–1.49 on almost every swing. He ended up buying one, as it was his top performer by far.)

• Callaway Fusion 9º

And of those 4 drivers, only one produced smash factors of 1.5 or higher (with quite a few 1.51s thrown in there for good measure)—the Callaway Fusion.

It wasn't a fluke, either—the Fusion delivered 1.49–1.51 on almost every swing! In my case, it also had the tightest dispersion by nearly 50% (over the TS3).

••••••••••

Now, it ain't all unicorns and rainbows. I don't love the way the ball feels off the face of the Fusion—it's "soft" where the TM SIM is "thuddy" and the TS3 is "pingy." I prefer a nice combo of pingy and thuddy, but that's just me.The Fusion also wants to go dead straight. My "draws" get maybe 3 yards of right-to-left rip. I can cut it more easily—mostly because I fade longer clubs anyway—but the ball still doesn't want to drift very far off its starting line.

Ultimately, the Fusion delivers the greatest contact efficiency and, for me, the highest launch angle (versus the other drivers I've tested). This combination has made it clear I should stick with the Fusion and not waste my money on newer drivers that fail to produce the same smash factor.

Perhaps the same will be true for you as well. If you've performed similar testing, I'd love to hear the results!

Bottom line for me? The Fusion is my gamer, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

• Like 1

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

This club will not die. After a couple rounds with a new-to-me Mizuno T190 and a horrendous driving day last week, I put the Fusion back in the bag. And like magic, my ball was back in play.

I don't know why the pulled back shape is so confidence-inspiring to me. It feels like I can't miss the sweet spot.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

• 2 weeks later...

After stumbling back onto this thread, and hearing the renewed love for people's old Fusions, decided to do the same. Had been playing the M3 440 for last year, and this year was choosing between F8+, F9 (9 and 10.5). Had settled on the 9 degree F9, thinking it had to automatically be superior to anything else given all the hype. Decided to break out the old Fusion with Diamana Red 50S, and low and behold it was just as good (if not better in some aspects) than all the hyped competitors. Agree that it seems so confidence inspiring and easy to hit squarely, more consistent, and longest strikes are just as long as any of those. Going to re-play the Fusion for a while and see if it keeps performing.

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

I still use my 13 degree, 43 inch shaft, heavy weight, Fusion driver when I am in need of a remedial fairway finder. It does not generate a lot of distance, ( no roll out), but on a shorter course it makes that second shot a whole lot easier, especially here in Northern Illinois where because of the wettest May on record the rough on most courses is super thick.

• 2 months later...

As the starter of this bounteous thread, I have to say it warms my heart that so many shared my affection for this orphan of the Callaway line.

However, at long last, it seems the Fusion has a younger, cooler brother.

The new Big Bertha B21 looks like an updated Fusion. Same shape. Same poorly targeted marketing positioning it for decrepit slicers one step from the grave. Same crap shaft.

But a forgiving high launch/low spin driver is exactly what most golfers need and which no-one is delivering. 

If the B21 lives up to the claims it should be a real contender. It looks miles better than Mavrik and hopefully sounds better.

Pull out the noodle they are shipping it with, and off you go.

it is a bit over-priced though.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

So many overlooked clubs because better players assume they’re not for them. The Fusion is a great club and I think it’s the shape that does it. That deep, stretched triangle makes it so easy to elevate. Had one and hit it well but spin was high. I found another driver that is similar shape but not quite as stretched back in the Srixon z585. Glued hosel, no adjustable weight, gets few raves, is regarded like the step-child of the adjustable 785. But Shane Lowery won an Open with the 585 so ....

I pulled the stock shaft, installed an Atmos Red Tour Spec 6S cut to 44.75 inches and play it at a C8 swingweight when I always thought I needed D2 or D4. The Srixon specs are not what I would get fitted to. Supposed to be a GI driver. It’s a beast, very hot. I have yet to encounter another player carrying it. My conclusion is you have to like the look of your driver, it has to give you confidence, and beyond that shaft weight and length along with total weight seem to be the specs I react to most. 

IMO the Mavrik Max is the driver in the Callaway lineup that is most similar to the Fusion in performance attributes and it already is gaining a rep as super easy to hit. Callaway made it look less triangular but it is a stretched head. Somewhat draw biased. The new B21, which looks great, is a much more pronounced slice straightener more aligned with the TM D-Type woods or the Ping SFTs. I expect the B21 will fit a lot of players and be a hit. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 2 months later...

Tried SIM Max D, hit it great at demo day but after I got it home I never could get that same consistency. After a few months of trying to get it to work and suffering from duck hooks when I usually miss with a slice, I've went back to the Fusion. Longer and more consistent for me. 

I might try and trade for a non D sim max, but so far it's Fusion for me. 9* head with S+ stiff shaft. 

• 11 months later...
15 hours ago, vas792 said:

Resurrecting this thread....Just curious if the Fusion has been knocked out of any bags this year and what did it?

I sold my Fusion to a young buck in my golf league who is still using it and absolutely smoking the ball.

I replaced it with a Rogue Zero something that lasted about a month (with like 1 good drive out of 100) I've used a Ping G400 Max that I've been hitting really well since.

X________________________________ Sign Here