ChrisWrightstuff WITB - UK bag full of Titleist, Scotty and Taylormade

Passive brag alert!!!! Actually, it's not even passive - it's an outright brag!

Went up the club tonight to hit some balls on the range but it was busy so ended up hitting a few and then played 3 holes.......

Went to the the first (380 yard par 4), playing a touch shorter off winter tees but wet fairways, cold air etc. Played by myself so usually play 2 balls but as I only had time for 3 holes I played 3 balls, no one was around so it didn't matter. I played the first hole (3 times) in 8 shots!

Ball 1 was driver, 58* from 85 yards to 3 foot, holed the putt.

Ball 2 was 3 wood, 52* from 120, miss green pin high right, chipped in.

Ball 3 was 2 iron, PW from 135 - pitch 18 inches past and spin back in ??

I couldn't believe it, and obviously now no one else will either as I was alone, never mind - I'll sleep well tonight ?

Taylormade Sim 10.5 - Tour AD GP 7X
Taylormade M3 15* - Kai'li 80X
GAPR Lo 2 iron - Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Taylormade P760, 4 - PW - Project XLZ 6.5
Vokey SM7 50F, 55M, 60D - Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop Newport Beach 1.5 

[b][u][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/965589-chriswrightstuff-first-ever-witb/page__p__8603789#entry8603789"][color=#000000]WITB Link[/color][/url][/u][/b][/font]

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 2 weeks later...

New shoes arrived - Nike LCV's in white / silver. Look pretty damn sharp.

Also got a new putter en route - Scotty Cameron future 6m (Adam Scott style).

[b][u][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/965589-chriswrightstuff-first-ever-witb/page__p__8603789#entry8603789"][color=#000000]WITB Link[/color][/url][/u][/b][/font]

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

New putter arrived and I putted horribly with it on Sunday, it's definitely me that's the problem tho.

Putter does feel nice and stable during the stroke and the face isn't as soft as I was expecting (a good thing in my eyes).

Got another 9 holes tonight to see how it goes - hopefully a lot better!!!

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

How do you find the shoes in our typical British spring conditions??

917 D3 10.5 Diamana S+ LTD 60x
917 F2 16.5 Kurokage Dual Core Silver 70x
818 H2 21 Oban Kiyoshi Black 95/05 or 718 T-MB 3i DG TI AMT
718 T-MB 4i DG AMT White Tour ss X100
718 AP2 5-9 DG AMT White Tour ss X100
SM7 Raw Handground 46F, 50F, 54S, 58D- DG AMT S400 & DGTI ONYX S400
SC Futura 5.5m
19’ Pro V1x

How do you find the shoes in our typical British spring conditions??

Ive not used the shoes yet, although I did play y ester day and found our course to be firming up nicely so I might be able to break them out sooner than expected!

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 6 months later...

Not updated anything for a while, bag has been set from the start of the season with no real changes. I did buy a Studio Stainless Newport last week in preparation for the winter as I find it really difficult to use a mallet on slow greens.

This evening I have an iron fitting with Titleist at their UK HQ in Cambridge. I've had my 714 AP2's for 3 full seasons now and not tried anything else since. Looking forward to testing the 718 line up and seeing how they work out for me. Will provide an update following the fitting and hopefully have some numbers too.

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

I was recently invited to a 718 iron/hybrid fitting. I headed across to the St Ives facility last night and just thought I'd give a bit of a summary of my experience.

First off - a little about me and my game. I currently play off 4, I've been playing for about 15 years, I started when I was I was about 14, I got down to 5 after 3 full seasons and have been around 4 or 5 since then. I think I've definitely found my 'level' and to get any lower I think I either need:

More natural talent (which I don't have).

OR

Time on the range and some lessons.

Generally speaking I'm a pretty good ball striker and generate a fair bit of speed so distance usually isn't an issue for me. I'm a tall guy and have a naturally steep swing so my bad shots tend to be when I get too steep, this often results in a double-cross style pull/draw. My natural flight / shape is a high draw and I'm pretty comfortable shaping the ball and flighting it down too. I'm totally confident hitting my current irons 5-PW and then a little bit of confidence disappears in the 3,4 and my 712u 2 iron.

I've never had any 'real' fitting before so was very excited to get this opportunity. Previously I've just guessed at my specs so for me the real value in this experience was 2 fold; to try the new 718 line and to bottom out my specs. My last 4 sets of irons have been Titleist, 690 cb's, 690.cb's, 735 cm's and my current irons - 714 AP2's, Project X 6.5, 3/4" long, 1 degree upright, 1 degree strong - as I said, these were my guess specs!

I'm a big fan of all Titleist clubs but the irons are the main attraction for me - playable, attractive and well made.

I arrived at the fitting centre about an hour early as I had a couple of hours to travel and didn't want to miss out on it because of traffic or anything. When I arrived I met James, he said I could use any of the facilities whilst I waited but recommended not hitting too many balls before the fitting. I opted to go and hit a few chips on the short game area. James offered me a basket of balls "V's or X's?" - I went for a full basket of the X's and spent half an hour or so hitting chips and pitches (the new X's feel great on short pitches and still spin plenty too btw!). I then returned to the range and James was ready for me.

I hit a few full swings just to get loose and then he switched on his iPad and Trackman. I hit a few balls with my 7 iron on Trackman to get a baseline, nothing fantastic but I was relieved to make contact! We looked at the numbers, they were pretty much as I expected, a little low in terms of speed and distance but probably down to me still loosening up.

James then talked me through the 718 line, I already had an idea of who each clubhead was targeted at but it was good to hear a bit more about the science behind each of them and how each line has evolved. I was particularly interested in the CB and AP2 line, then maybe the AP3 or TMB for long irons.

We started with the AP2, PX 6.5, 1" long, 2 degrees upright - it felt very similar to my 714 and results were fairly similar, a bit longer but probably down to me loosening up and swinging faster. I then hit the CB (same specs), the CB looks stunning both in the bag and behind the ball. Results were similar again and James sais he'd be happy to fit me into either. It was a bit of a head Vs heart - the numbers were almost identical, the CB looks amazing, but the AP2 is still a very good looking club. In the end I couldn't ignore the fact that the AP2 offers more forgiveness and would be a bit more friendly on bad days. The AP2 is the most popular iron on tour, those guys play for millions of pounds and hit the sweet spot a lot more than me, besides - there aren't any shots I could hit with a CB that I couldn't hit with the AP2.

I then hit the AP3 and the AP1. James was keen to demonstrate the rest of the line too. The AP3 is still a fairly good looking iron but the real star here is the AP1. The numbers below are the averages of and AP2 and an AP1 - I was expecting about 5 yards more, as you can see - I got much more on some shots!

Anyone looking for forgiveness, height and distance - give these a go! My Dad plays off 13 but struggles with his irons - I'll be pointing him towards these for sure. I'd be a bit scared to go for them in a full set as I think my gapping would be all over the place and can't help but think there'd be a few "hot" ones coming off the face, especially out of the semi.

Back to serious testing…..

James got the impact board out and we decided that the best specs were 3/4" long and 2 degrees upright - so not too far from my guess!

We then tried a number of shafts, in short - nothing could beat the project X, I liked the feel of the Modus but the numbers were no better - and trust me to gravitate to one of the few shafts that carried an upcharge.

We moved onto long irons and agreed that 5-PW was right in the AP2. I hit a few with the TMB and the AP3. For me - the AP3 outperformed the TMB in the 3 and 4 iron. I absolutely loved the AP3 long irons. The data below is the 3 iron, these numbers are crazy good for me!

I also hit a few with a 718 H2 but the numbers and the consistency were no match for the AP3 3iron.

We called it a day after that, James has already sent me the recommended spec sheet as well as the trackman data.

I'll be putting an order in with my pro for the AP3 3 and 4 irons. Personally - I can't justify a full set of new AP2's just yet as the numbers were pretty much identical (and I got married in August so my credit card is still in la-la land).

I just want to say thanks to Hannah for her hard work in organising the trip and also a big thanks to James at the fitting centre - he made me feel comfortable and at ease for the whole session. He really knows his stuff and has an obvious passion and admiration for the product and the research behind it. I had a great time there, it was interesting, enjoyable and very useful - I will definitely return at some point.

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

Very nice! Will you be replacing the 712u and the 3 iron with the AP3s, or do you plan on replacing the 712u and both the 3 and 4? The lofts are strong so I'm assuming your gapping will be different at the top of your bag. Did you find the offset of the AP3 at all difficult to adjust to? I looked at the AP3 3 iron and nearly put one in my bag but the offset was a little more than I'm used to and I am wavering on the purchase.

Titleist TS3 9.5 Tour AD UB 6x
Titleist TS3 15 Tour AD DI 7x
Titleist 917 F2 18 Tour AD DI 8x or U500 3 AMT White
Titleist T100 4-9 AMT White
Vokey SM8 46.10F SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08F DG Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350gm

Very nice! Will you be replacing the 712u and the 3 iron with the AP3s, or do you plan on replacing the 712u and both the 3 and 4? The lofts are strong so I'm assuming your gapping will be different at the top of your bag. Did you find the offset of the AP3 at all difficult to adjust to? I looked at the AP3 3 iron and nearly put one in my bag but the offset was a little more than I'm used to and I am wavering on the purchase.

Very good question - I did notice the offset and it was a little off putting but I just couldn't argue with the performance, especially when the numbers backed it up. For you - I guess from a CB 4 iron to AP3 3 iron is quite a slightly more drastic transition.

I'll be swapping out my 3 and 4 irons for the AP3 equivalent, the 712u is still a bit of an unknown, I'll keep it in for the short term but I want to see what the gapping is on course when the AP 3 long irons arrive. I may look at getting a graphite shaft for it amd having it as a tee shot only style club, failing that - I'll take it out and change my wedge setup to something like 50, 55, 60.

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 2 months later...

Bumping a slightly old thread, but it was fun to read through your fitting experience.

I'm curious, did you not have the chance to try out the TMB line? I would have thought that a 2,3,4 TMB would be perfect for what you're looking for.

I tried the TMB line too but the numbers for the 3 and 4 iron in the AP3's were better than anything else, I was a tiny bit disappointed that AP3's don't come in a 2 iron but to be honest I'm happy having a 3 iron I can hit 240 - my 3 wood goes about 260 so there isn't much of a gap there that gets exploited on a regular basis.

Waiting for the SM7's to come out to get a new wedge configuration.

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 1 month later...

M4 9.5 ordered, will put my Tour ADGP straight in and see how we go, very excited!

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 1 month later...

M4 arrived and I managed to get 9 holes in yesterday. Ended up with a 10.5 head and put my AD GP shaft in it. A few thoughts below....

• I've always been a fan of the M family carbon crown and paint mix. I'm fairly agnostic about the silver Vs white, I think they both look good.
  • The shape of the M4 is vastly difference to the 2017 M2, or at least it is to my eye. Appears to have a smaller and narrower footprint, looks more condensed.
  • Sound and feel are big improvements in my opinion, I know this is so subjective but my M4 sounded and felt a lot more muted than my 2017 M2.
  • Admittedly I've gone up one degree in loft, but the overall flight is much better - I can't say how much of this is down to new tech and how much is because of the extra loft but I liked what I saw.

Overall, happy so far, more on course testing to come, will update on any significant findings.

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 1 month later...

Really happy with the M4 - driving is much better now. Distance is pretty much same as all other drivers I've had but dispersion is way better for me.

My SM7's arrived yesterday, played 9 holes with a couple of balls and really liked the turf interaction, plus - they look amazing in the bag!

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 3 weeks later...

Nike Magnolia collection snapback

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 2 weeks later...

Strong mail day ??

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 1 month later...

Just had a nice weekend on the course for my club's Gala Weekend. Course was playing really nice, greens running a solid 11.3 on the stimp, not lightning fast but a very good pace to putt on. Our team did OK, didn't pick up any big prizes but collected a few £'s from some friends, that's always nice.

A local pro that has played in The Open was in our team on the Sunday, I don't play a great deal with pros or + figure golfers but it's always nice to be reminded of how golf should be played. He didn't have a great scoring round but just hit fairways and greens throughout, the odd occasion he did miss a green, it always in the right spot and proceeded to scare the hole with his simple pitch shots.

I played OK, shot 2 over par with a double on a par 3 - pretty solid score for me. The pro gave me a good putting drill to work on to help maintain a better pendulum stroke - at times I was trying to help the ball on its' way and getting a bit 'handsy'.

I'm always rubbish at getting photos but here's one snap of my bag before we went out, US Open cover in there, looking forward to the main event this week.......

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

Wasn't a huge fan of the recent US Open Scotty release so thought I'd visit the Vokey shop instead and picked up a few bits and pieces. Really happy with all of it, high quality manufacturing - just like the wedges!

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

Finally tracked down the Augusta release Roshe G's too - I've had a pair of the blue ones for a while and was pleasantly surprised by how good they feel and perform for a fairly low budget shoe. These will definitely by 'dry day only' shoes though!

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 3 months later...

So golf season si coming to bit of a close in Oxford so thought I'd give an update on my season so far.

I've had a pretty solid year, unfortunately not picked up any big wins or prizes but have consistently played around handicap. I've had a lot of scores +/- 1 or 2 of my handicap, played some very consistent stuff but not really had a spell where I managed to get all parts of my game going at the same time. The consistency has helped me win a mini league that a few friends and I set up (15 person individuals scores) so that helps a little bit. I'm hoping to get a decent amount of golf in before the winter fully arrives so who knows, I may even pick up a win in the next few weeks!

Had a few changes in my bag since I last posted:

Swapped back to my SC Futura 6m putter which appears to be working well at the moment, our greens are rolling amazing at the moment (consistently 11 - 12 on the stimp) and I always found that I putted best with it on slick greens.

Got a new 3 wood, picked up an M3 and put my Kai'li shaft in it, knocked it down to the "low" setting and it's a great club off the tee. Really like the penetrating flight and find that mishits aren't too bad. It needs to be sitting really good for me to properly flight off the turf though. I'll only ever hit it once a round off the fairway at my home course so it's not a massive issue. Overall distance is good with it but I'd struggle to hit a high one that needs to land soft,

fortunately that's not something I need to do often from 3 wood distance!

Last change is very recent, just tonight ordered a set of 718AP2's - I was fit a while back and then hit them again the other week so thought i'd pull the trigger. Hopefully I'll have a chance to work them in over the winter and then be ready to go next season. Went with same specs despite trying lots of different shafts. I considered a few other options (CB, Mizuno, wiat for 760's) but I know the AP2's will perform.

Once the irons arrive I'll get a few pics and provide an update on how they're going.

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

Well done on the Mini-league win !!!!

Fancy this next year:

http://www.golfwrx.c...y-2019-england/

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Irons arrived, played 18 holes with them. To be brutally honest, I really struggled and probably hit 2 good iron shots all day. I wasn't swinging well at all - everything starting straight or slightly left and then going ever further left, not a good combo. Going to try and put some work in this week and hope things get a little better next week. Nothing to do with the irons, just bad timing on my part.

The AP2's do look amazing though, think they're a little more compact than the 714's and they feel more solid to me anyway)

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 3 weeks later...

Have played a few rounds with the new irons now, god's honest truth, I'm hitting them (and everything else) awful. Have managed some ok scores but just not comfortable over the ball.

I have a lesson tomorrow to see if I can sort this problem out as my ball striking has been terrible. First real 1:1 lesson for about 15 years so should be interesting! will report back after the weekend.

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 6 months later...

Been a while since I last updated......

About 6 months a go I was battling through some pretty rubbish golf, had a couple of lessons and really enjoyed them. They've definitely turned my golf back around again, been playing very solid for a while now and my putter has been warming up too. Happy with the direction my golf is heading.

Pro had me straighten my legs a little and cover the ball more with the top half of my body. This has promoted a more square take away and I'm now not swinging so "in to out" at the ball. Also meant that I now feel as though I'm able to start the downswing with my hips rather than a snatch with hands or arms, which is working well for me.

The weather is improving in the UK and my course is looking great, greens running quick and pure.

No massive bag changes, picked up an M5 which I really like, I think Taylormade have killed it with the metal woods line since the M1, personally I can't find anything better!

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 1 month later...

Big life changes recently, wife gave birth to our first child so golf is reducing!

I have however sent a Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 1.5 to the custom shop for restoration and some stamps. Really looking forward to getting it back and seeing how the putter turns out, even if I can't putt with it I'll be keeping I forever. I also picked up the PGA apples headcover as my wife went in to labour during the first round of the tournament.

Will certainly post some pics of the finished product when it arrives.

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I last updated, life is getting in the way of golf but in a good way! Daughter and wife are both doing great and yesterday my Custom Shop Scotty arrived.

I love the Studio Stainless line so was keen to get this one refurbished. I ended up going with the following

* Full refurb and finished in black

* New shaft, 35 inches and 1 degree upright

* Line added on top edge

* PEW (daughter's initials) and Junk Yard Dog (star sign Taurus, tenuous bull link) stamps on face.

* Grey Pistolero grip

* Black shaft ring

* Black leather cover, although the PGA cover will be gamed as she was born on the Friday of the tournament.

Really happy with how it turned out, total turnaround was 3 months and I provided proof of export to Fedex so didn't get stung with charges!

[](https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/editor/po/ebnu8d9t3x13.jpg "")

nknqii0har6n.jpg

oa0r7jyd8ces.jpg

sr6u20qv8pkn.jpg

atyue0c11dwz.jpg

x2fvd3o2rd30.jpg

rmswcxwo4qpf.jpg

4ixucgwbnbg1.jpg

• Like 1

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

> @chriswrightstuff said:

> Been a while since I last updated, life is getting in the way of golf but in a good way! Daughter and wife are both doing great and yesterday my Custom Shop Scotty arrived.

> I love the Studio Stainless line so was keen to get this one refurbished. I ended up going with the following

> * Full refurb and finished in black

> * New shaft, 35 inches and 1 degree upright

> * Line added on top edge

> * PEW (daughter's initials) and Junk Yard Dog (star sign Taurus, tenuous bull link) stamps on face.

> * Grey Pistolero grip

> * Black shaft ring

> * Black leather cover, although the PGA cover will be gamed as she was born on the Friday of the tournament.

> Really happy with how it turned out, total turnaround was 3 months and I provided proof of export to Fedex so didn't get stung with import charges.ebnu8d9t3x13.jpg

> nknqii0har6n.jpg

> oa0r7jyd8ces.jpg

> sr6u20qv8pkn.jpg

> atyue0c11dwz.jpg

> x2fvd3o2rd30.jpg

> rmswcxwo4qpf.jpg

> 4ixucgwbnbg1.jpg

>

WOW!! That looks so good!!

• 8 months later...

Long time since updating the WITB but Covid has given me (and many others) a lot of time away from the course so thought I'd give an overview of my bag for the coming season, whatever that may look like!

Driver - Taylormade Sim 10.5, Tour AD GP 7X shaft, black edition - I've played 2 rounds with the Sim and to be honest I'm struggling with it. I'm thinking of pairing with a slighltly light shaft, possible something with more of a mid profile rather than the low/low characteristics of my Tour AD GP.

3 wood - Taylormade M3, Diamana Kai'li 80g X shaft - good off the tee, fairway results are inconsistent.

2 iron - Taylromade GAPR Lo, Tensei White, X shaft - was a bit of a waste in the winter but now the ball is running it's a much more viable club.

4 - PW - Taylormade P760, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts - new addition to the bag around Christmas time, prefer them to my 718 AP2's, I used to love my 714's but I just could not get the consistency I needed with 718's, they spun way too much.

50, 54+1, 60 - Vokey SM7's, Project X 6.5 shafts - likely going to add an SM8 60 with lower bounce for firmer turf conditions in summer.

Putter - Studio Stainless Newport Beach 1.5, Custom Shop. Also got a Phantom H-19 that I'll experiment with in the summer when our greens quicken up a little.

Had my fist game in 9 weeks on Saturday and I was awful to be honest. Really enjoyed it though and looking forward to playing again to knock some more rust off, I need to get rid of a horrible hand drop at the start of my back swing!

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of minor updates.....

I feel like the Sim with my Tour AD GP doesn't spin enough so trying another shaft - similar profile though. Got an Oban Kiyoshi White 05 65 grams on the way. Unfortunately it probably won't be ready for this weekend thought.

I also picked up a new shaft for my GAPR Lo, an Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100 grams. I'm hoping to have that in time for the weekend so will give it a go - should be a very fun club for the summer given how firm and fast fairways are running at the moment.

Instagram - Cwrightstuff