Any one using SGI irons as their driving iron?

Z1ggy16

I have a pair of '16 M2 Tour long irons, they are pretty killer. I just find the biggest pain is the amount of offset and the fact that SGI irons tend to be cast, which are harder to bend. Performance wise there are tons of great options to be had cheaper, as you've found, and as long you're ok with the aesthetics then they are gold.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I’m currently using a Srixon Z585 and it’s much cheaper than buying a driving iron and performs great. Being forged it feels good too.

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

I have a Sim Max 4i bent to 18* and a 5i as well - nothing but good things to say about them. I am going to reshaft the 4i with a Steelfiber as well when I get around to it.

The head itself is great, no complaints and it was probably 1/3 the price of some other 18* "driving irons".

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Nice!! This was my plan but I actually wanted to bend the 4i to 20 * as my 4w will be playing 17*.

Kind of weird this isn't more popular. Why pay $250 for a specific UDI when I can pay $115 for basically the same thing. Granted I'll need to do some club work, but either way that was bound to be the case.

Its a very personal choice as far as what you want in a head but for me, I've always wanted more heft in a driving iron so something like the Sim seems to fit.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

So then it begs the question: Over the past couple years, what would be the "best" non UDI option to try out? Ricky now uses Speedzone long irons... Phil has an Epic 3i I think that he rotates in and out, and at one point I think a few TM guys put M series irons.

I know they are all going to be chunky and big... so I think for me that's fine, but the least amount of offset I think would be ideal.

I have the Cobra Speedzone 4, 5, 6 irons in my bag. I think Rickie has the 4 and 5 in his bag. I have Project X Catalyst 100 gram shafts in all of my irons. I had/have a 45% discount code, that I used and it was the best decision I made adding those to my bag.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I didn't look yet.... but are those .355 hosel or .370? I was keen on the SIM Max b/c of the .370 hosel, which is nice for plugging hybrid/utility shafts right in. I have shims and all that jazz but it's just one extra failure point in the build.

How did you get the code? I'd be interested in picking up a 4i for 45% off.

If you just want to save money, check out sub 70... I was in the market for a cheap utility iron, and they knocked it out of the park. I love mine.

$115 all in with a midsize grip and graphite shaft.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

PM sent.

I will say everyone that has tried my 4 iron has ordered at least the 4 iron, and many have ordered the 4,5,6.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Not an SGI head, but I made my game-improvement CB Pro Tungsten friendlier by reshafting it with a SteelFiber hybrid shaft (see below). I picked up about 10 yards off the tee, and can now hit it from a decent fairway lie.

With the original KBS Tour 90 shaft, the 4i was iffy off the fairway.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I'm GolfWRX's foremost truther on the subject. This is my golf forum equivalent to those Flat Earth people!!!!

I always tell people to at least "try"an SGI 3 iron before buying a driving iron. They are usually <50% of the price and do a very similar job

Ironically, i do own a driving iron, but i got it on discount and it seemed easier than being a G410 4 iron strong. But i have used SGI's as driving irons many times, including a SteelHead XR 19 degree 3 iron with my last set that i knocked the crap out of

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I own a TM UDI (One of the originals). I used it for quite awhile, it came in super helpful in Scotland. However in making a decision in my upper end of the bag to go with the M3 HL turned way down, and then having the Cobra Speedzone at 18*, that I can hit high"ish" (Well much higher than the UDI) and I can also hit it on a more piercing trajectory. Plus missing a smidge with this isn't punished as harshly as the UDI is.

SGI irons as driving irons has been used a lot longer than you think. While not really an SGI iron, Joey Sindelar uses an original 845 1 iron as his driving iron for the longest time (still does I think). I do vividly remember back in the day, there was a short lived fad of some touring pros like Nick Price using a 2002 Callaway Big Bertha 2 iron as their driving iron.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

When I do put a long iron in the bag it's an older Ping SGI... I don't recall off the top of my head what it is. I bought it to mess around when I was going to play a tight short tree-lined course and didn't want to pay up for a driving iron.

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Problem with this is the offset. Tour guys using them aren't playing the same one from the set, trust me. I've found the Callaway Xforged UT is as close at it gets to a driving iron/ SGI iron. Its like a tour issue SGI.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I had the same notion (geniuses think alike?) and was on the search for the “most-SGI iron” i could find. I was set on a Taylormade M-CGB 4-iron head i found on the Bay for cheap, and immediately dropped it off to my local fitter to have it mated to a Tour AD graphite shaft (I had used previously for a driving iron). my only other request was to bend it to as low as he could, but was forewarned that due to shape/offset, the head could snap if bent too aggressively. Just before the store closure (due to Covid) he called to let me know the shaft was in and that he wanted to wait to do the bending in person. Shop should be reopening soon, and can’t wait to get this club in my hands. I will post a followup once completed.

TSR3 8* w Autoflex 505x shaft
Titleist 915fd w Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661 shaft
Titleist TSi3 4 hybrid w Fujikura Tour Spec Blue 7 

Miura CB1008 4i-PW w Oban CT-115 S shafts
Miura Tour Wedge HB 48*, Miura K Grind 2.0 54* & 60* w Oban Ct-115 wedge shafts
Scotty Cameron Red X center shafted putter (I love anything CS)
Titleist Prov1x

Interesting... Well, I did order mine all 1* weak so that will take some offset away. Even something like the U510 had a good deal of offset to my eye, and I'm not very keen on going with a more players udi because I'm looking to have a little forgiveness.

I'm Surprised OEMs would invest the capital for all new tooling, dies, molds and so on just to give a pro a one off club like that. They are truly spoiled lol

I have seen and know for a fact that Rickie's F9 4 and 5 irons he carried most of last year were the same as the retail models. I am not sure about the new speedzones he has in play. Might they bend them to "adjust" the offset some? Sure maybe they do, maybe they don't. However they aren't bending that much if they are the same metal as the Speedzones, because I have put those in a Mitchell and they are not easy to move.

Back in the 80s lots of pros used a Ping 1 Iron (both the Eye2 and the older versions) for a driving iron regardless of what the rest of the irons were.

I had (still have but it's enjoying retirement) a brown code (3* flat) Eye2 1 iron that I extended to 41.5 inches (loft was 16 degrees). Since Ping irons were light to begin with this one was a still manageable D7 swingweight. Had a lot of success with that club for many years.

• Like 2

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Epic forged maybe. I got the head only, for like $65. Very cheap.

You can check CPO during their sales or just call them for 25% off any individual iron at any time lol just tell them you 'just missed the last sale'. Browse the rogue and epic lines for good 4i SGI clubs

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I have SGI in my 3&4. My C16 4i is automatic and will never get rid of it. The U510 I just got plays just like a hybrid without the hook (MID/MID all day). Yes I know it's technically a DI already, but the chunkiness of its makes it SGI right?!?!

SIM 10.5 | EXS Pro 18

Apex UW 21 | Pro Mini 24

T100 5-50 | 54.S 58.T

Black Series 1W

Vice Pro Drip

Yupper.

Miura GI Iron .... CB•301 in 4, 5, and 6 Iron.

I did this for the first time in 2002/2003.

Always played a 'Pro Series' Iron with GI Long Irons.

One of my early favorites, a long time ago, was the X-16 Pro Series 2 Iron and, original, Nike Forged Blades 4-P. That was fun.

Plenty of my fellow competitors played i3 O Size and i3 Blades at the time.