Search for the holy grail fairway woods

serveitup911

I have space for 2 clubs between my driver and 21 degree hybrid. Driver is a G410 LST 10.5 with a Fuji Speeder 661 Evo IV X. I love absolutely everything about this combo and it’s probably the best club in my bag. I’m around a 160 ball speed guy, so most drives end up in the 280 range, but I will have a few each round that roll to over 300. There are only 5 holes on my course where it is safe to hit driver those distances due to the fairway becoming a ribbon or extensive fairway bunkering. My ideal 3 wood would be almost exclusively a tee club. I am a solid player, but if I miss with a wood, it will be toward the toe and hooking. I’m thinking a 5 wood for my next club down because I haven’t gotten along well with hitting low lofted hybrids high enough to hit them a repeatable distance that’s not dictated by roll. 5 wood would be a par 5 attacking club exclusively with some tee off duty on short par 4s. My 21 degree hybrid is a Titleist TS3 with a Fuji Atmos TS Blue HB 8X. Normal shot would be 220 carry.

I cannot stand clubs that look closed at address. 

I need some forgiveness, mostly toe side.  I don’t like tiny heads.

The 3 wood will be used mostly from the tee and 5 wood will be used mostly from the fairway. 

I have hit the F9 5 wood and found it easy to hit, but spinny and hard not to hook. I imagine the Speedzone is very similar.  Not interested in the Speedzone tour due to the small footprint Big tour has me interested, though I wish the loft was a bit higher.

The shallow face on the G410 concerns me a little bit on the 3 wood, but is an advantage on the 5 wood. I have some concerns about the G410 sitting closed at address and having to loft down to open the face , then having the 5 wood go too far. I do like the forgiveness though. 

The upright lie angle and possibly getting a head that sits closed concerns me with the SIM Max 3 wood. Is there any way to bend it flatter or open? The deep face on the SIM Ti 5 wood concerns me unless the V sole really helps. 

The TS2 is a bit of a sleeper that I don’t know as much about. I like the overall shape and adjustability. I like matte black, so I’m not a fan of the glossy crown. I feel like it is maybe a bit shorter than the others with slightly higher spin. 

I don’t like the shape of the face on the Mizuno.

The Mavrik sub zero is too compact and the standard Mavrik sits closed to my eye.

For shaft, I’m thinking the Fuji Speeder 757 EVO IV or VI in S flex since Fujis get stiffer as the weight class increases. I hear the EVO VI is based off the EVO IV I love in my driver, but slightly easier to load.

Thanks for listening.

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10.5 Speeder 661 Evolution IV X
Cobra Big Tour 13.5 3 wood Ventus Blue 7 X
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 5 wood @ 17.5 Ventus Blue 8 X
Titleist TS3 21 degree hybrid @ 20 Atmos TS Blue HB 8 X
Ping i210 5-9 Power Spec Steelfiber i110 S hardstepped
Ping Glide 2 Stealth SS 45, 50, 55, 60 KBS 610 Wedge 120 S
Ping Sigma G Ketch B

The G410s should do the trick?! They have a flat setting if you are worried about 'hooking' them!? I have the LST, which is a bit smaller then the reg. one and have no issues with it. Very playable and plenty forgiving!

• Thanks 1

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

You may want to give the TS2 a shot. I played it yesterday (3 wood) for the first time. I do have trouble hooking woods. It wasn't as bad yesterday, but still going a bit too much left and then I pulled out the tool and switched it from the default to the B-1 flat setting. Maybe it was psychological, but it Immediately helped.

I tend to balloon my woods and irons (swing flaw) and wasn't doing so with the Smoke Black 6.0 shaft, which felt pretty smooth. Going to now get the 4 wood of this and do a bit of a battle of the bag. And experiment using the 4 wood shaft in the 3, so I can play the 3 wood at 42.5". Shortening my driver length really helped me a couple years ago. Curious to see the differences between the 15* and 16.5* heads at the same 42.5" length with the Smoke.

This has been a spring for me to mess with fairways and 2/3 hybrids. I have been trying the Cobra F7 woods since the F7 3/4 and 4/5 hybrids earned a spot in my bag earlier this year. But they may sit a tad too upright for me.

Right now you can get a pretty good deal for a used TS2 on 2nd Swing. Use the Titleist coupon code they have at the top of the page.

If your 3 wood is going to be used exclusively for tee shots, then why not go with a deep face 3w or mini driver? I never hit my "3W" off the turf, so I went with a mini driver. I have an older TM Aeroburner, but a Callaway 3Deep would be an option, as well as the newer TM Original One.

I had the same issue with my G400 5 wood, so I swapped it for a G400 7 wood, and delofted it. That opened the face a bit, and still kept the distance slightly less than a standard 5w.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I always was very picky about fairway woods and do not like closed faces. Until a couple months ago I played a 15 degree TEE CB2 I have had well over 10 years. Recently I picked up a like new Epic flash sub zero 3 wood. Worked out very well. If it is too low spin for you the weights can be reversed. I liked it so much I ordered a 5 wood, which I have not bagged since my wood club days. You can pick up a like new from the Callaway preowned website right now for about $120. Cheap experiment if it does not work out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@PineTopPete beat me to it. The 2016 M2 fairway is unreal. Distance is almost as long as my driver, can shape it easily both ways and amazing off the tee and turf. I'm a lefty and tough to find but I will play the 2016 M2 until I can't find them anymore.

Driver: TM Sim2 Max Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 7X

3W: TM M2 (2016) 3HL Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 8TX

DI: Srixon ZX 20* AD DI Hybrid 95X

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW TT X100

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 TT X100

Putter: SC Newport 2 Custom

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

To be honest I had the best luck with a 4ish wood, opened way up. I have a M3 HL, playing it at 42.5" and it is licked down to lower. It works well off of the tee and works well off of the ground as well. If you think the M2 HL down at lower on the adjustment looks closed, then your eyes are broken.

I also have a Speed Zone 4 iron ordered at 18* with a Catalyst graphite shaft in it. It will go high enough to hold most greens, but it can also be played low to run out. I use this club a ton off of the tee at my club. We have 27 holes and each nine averages 3350 from the back tees. I am similar to you in ball speed, club face location miss, and the fact I hate to miss it left.

I rarely hit the 4 iron other than off of the tee on a bunch of the par 4's or maybe into the green on a par 5.

You may not like the SGI irons, so the m3 HL down from 17 to 15, makes it open, so no issue there. That will probably fit your bill better than almost any club. As far as a 5 wood, you will need to find one that is 20+ degrees so you can open it so it won't look closed.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Look at Tour Edge Exotics. I’m still gaming a 2013 cb pro. They produce some of the best fairway woods on the market

• Like 2

Gamer/Backup
Driver: PING G410 LST 9 w/ EF Black 6.5; Cobra LTD PRO w/ Speeder 661 iv and Cobra F8+ with Evenflow Blue 65 6.5
3wd: TEE CB Pro 14.5 Speeder 757 stiff; 
5wd: Cobra F6 Baffler set at 17.5; Titleist 915 2H
3H- Titleist 915 2H dialed up in loft to 19; Ping G with Evenflow Blue 85 6.0
4 iron: G400 Crossover; G400 green dot CFS stiff, It's stamped 5 iron but power spec at 22* I use it as 4 iron; N/A
5-PW: Ping i15 green dot AWT stiff; PXG 0211 w/ Elevate Tour VSS Pro stiff
52/12 F: Vokey sm8 2 up; 52/12 F Vokey SM7
58/12 d: Vokey sm8 2 up; 58/12 d Vokey sm7 
Putter: Taylormade Spider Platinum; Ping Anser Milled 5; Nike Method Matter B2-05
Ball: Wilson FG Tour

Callaway Epic Flash sub zero. It has the adjustable hosel, where as the Maverick is bonded, not sure what you prefer. For me flash sz has been a game changer. One if the best if not the best off the tee, can still hit it easily off the deck. Adjustable front and back weight ports where huge for me. Allowed me to tinker and get launch/spin where I wanted, ended up with 10 grams in each port (play shorter length 42.25”). The face shape is angled and is bigger on toe side. Absolutely worth checking out.

• Like 1

Titleist TsR3 10* w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

the m2 will probably be similar to the sim max the OP mentions at around 60* lie angle. The EFSZ starts very flat around 55* with one upright lie setting getting it to 57-58* and isn't too small of a head. The EFSZ feels the best but the lie angle didn't work for me as I'm taller and prefer something like an m2.

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

The M3 HL is 58.5 and you can go 3* open at 58.5 lie. If having the face be open, or an appearance of open is required, then 3* open at 58.5 is about as fade biased as you can get and if you square it up then the 16.5 loft goes to 15*.

I found the M2 to be a tad more upright than I liked, but it wasn't horrible.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

And a great place to end your search. Thing is a cannon and so easy to hit.

The Big Dog ~ G425 LST | AD UB 6x
The 3 Banger ~ Mavrik MAX | AD DI 7x
The 5 Banger ~ Mavrik SZ | Motore F3 7x

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
Flatstick ~ Spider X Chalk Stability Tour

I went on a similar search with a lot of the same criteria as you and with a similar (toe) miss.

For me, the first that had to work was appearance at address. It had to look right and it had to sit right, otherwise nothing else really mattered, so that seems like a good place to start since you also seem to be sensitive to that. From there it was all about the spin window it was hitting. I play my 3-wood as a pretty exclusively tee based club as well for right to left shots and I needed the spin to stay within a fairly tight window, otherwise that toe miss can turn in to a hook big time. I found Titleist to be the best in these two regards. They sat more neutral to my eye and the Surefit allows me to tweak that open without rotating the hosel since bumping the loft down use the inner adjustment ring. Shallow faces are actually your friend here as you will tend to get much less spin variation based on strike, a god send for someone with a toe miss. From there I got lucky in that the feel/sound was perfect me as well, but that of course will be subjective.

You'll need to get your hands on a bunch of different options to try because no perfect 3-wood exists on paper, ya gotta get your eyes on em'. I think the TS2 is definitely worth a deeper look as are the Ping options you mentioned.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

cobra f9/SZ

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

3 wood - consider the cobra ltd or big tour sz - both slightly larger profile heads which can be opened up. 5 wood I would check out the f6 baffler - it's an oldie but a classic for a reason.

Smaller head designed to be hit off the ground. If you went for the ltd and baffler I bet you could find both heads for less than $150 total no problem.

Exotics CB pro another good 3 wood option

I would vote for the Cobra SZ Big Tour 13.5 and SZ Tour 17.5. I had the F9 14.5* fairway and found it to be spinny/hook prone as well. Most of that was due to the upright lie angle. SZ fairways are all more flat than the F9 series. The SZ shape is great and the tour fairways don't have the yellow strips on the crown either, which is a plus for me.

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

I appreciate the input so far.

I did not notice that the Speedzone fairways were more flat than the F9s.

I also didn’t know that shallow faces had less spin variation. That would lead me to the G410s because I hate hitting one bomb and then a spinny riser.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 Speeder 661 Evolution IV X
Cobra Big Tour 13.5 3 wood Ventus Blue 7 X
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 5 wood @ 17.5 Ventus Blue 8 X
Titleist TS3 21 degree hybrid @ 20 Atmos TS Blue HB 8 X
Ping i210 5-9 Power Spec Steelfiber i110 S hardstepped
Ping Glide 2 Stealth SS 45, 50, 55, 60 KBS 610 Wedge 120 S
Ping Sigma G Ketch B

Additional feedback on the TS2 (and other Titleist fairway woods). If read enough detail on Surefit, you find that when you adjust from the default (A1) setting to C1, you are setting it flatter and lowering the loft by 0.75*. In theory this deflofting also adds to the fade bias, based on their chart and the detailed reading I've gone through.

Side benefit: when you deloft, the ball will impact the face just a bit higher than it would otherwise, leading to launch #s that are higher than if you just started with a club at the new loft to begin with.

TXG did a good study on this, taking 2 fairway woods (15* and 16.5*, I believe). They increased the loft on the 15* and decreased the loft on the 16.5*, so that both played at 15.75*. The 16.5* gave better numbers because of the ball impact higher on the face.

I don't know if the same logic applies with other brands. But it might be worth checking out.

FYI I will be exploring this option myself: getting a 16.5* TS2, delofting to 15.75*, moving the weight in the head to fade bias, and playing a power fade off the tee.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

you could pick up a pair of ping G or G30 for an absolute song, they will be as good as anything mentioned, I'm not even crazy about Ping products, but they are seriously the biggest no brainers in my bag. High straight long no matter what swing you put on it

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

Epic Flash should be adjustable to fit your needs. Best wood I’ve hit.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSr2 8.25

Wood: Titleist TSr2 15

Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 4hy 20

Irons: Titleist T200 UT 4, T150 5, Artisan LS720MB 6-9

Wedges: Artisan LS720 MB 47, 51S, 55SB, 59DS

Putter: Titleist Tei3 Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Bag: Jones Trouper R

Completely agree! I'd get rid of everything in my bag before I would change my 2016 M2 and I hated three woods prior to the M2. Absolute bomb off the tee, easy to hit off the turf. It's so long that most people get the 16.5.

Driver: TM Sim2 Max Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 7X

3W: TM M2 (2016) 3HL Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 8TX

DI: Srixon ZX 20* AD DI Hybrid 95X

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW TT X100

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 TT X100

Putter: SC Newport 2 Custom

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

For years I used Zero Tolerance fairways made by an engineer who was a golf nut, but went out of business a long time ago. They worked well except for the standard lies being too flat which made me struggle to keep shots from going right. Recently switched to 816 Alpha DBD fairways. I set them at Draw which really means 2 degrees upright. My shots to the right went away. I can hit greens on par 5s with them - extremely accurate and long. Same shafts as the Zero Tolerance heads - I moved them over. They are old Penley Graphite Lite shafts cut down from long drive lengths. They are marked XXX flex, but play about the same as X flex. Maybe because the 3 wood is 45 inches and the 5 wood is 44 inches. I was able to get the swingweights back down where they should be by changing the sole weights. They are the same as the Fusion driver weights. I won't be switching from these for a long time. Matching driver works great too. I removed the weight entirely from the driver. It is 47 inches and standard lie.

g400 stretch or 2016 Callaway GBB three wood

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Wasn't it Duffner's Waggle who went and had an epic 3 wood search a couple of years ago? All I remember was how many he tested and sold on BST

• Like 1

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels