Junior Golfer Snubs...(and encouragements!)

I am not easily offended. I've learned to take them with a grain of salt and a little quick wit usually fixes the situation quickly. We've all dealt with that grumpy ranger or pro shop guy who sees you playing with junior and feels the need to specifically say something about keeping pace with the kid (before you even tee off). Maybe its a group who tries to rush in front of you only to hold you up on every hole. In almost every situation, I can guarantee that my son plays faster (and probably scores better) than 95% of the hacks out there at any given time. Probably like you all, I've made a special point in bringing him up on the golf course to be on point with pace, course care, etiquette, etc....just knowing that he is a kid he will be under the microscope. Thought it would be a good topic. What experiences have you had and how did you handle?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I can totally relate. I have two juniors, so I get twice the stares and the OMG we will be here forever. Then my son bombs it 50 yards past me and my daughter does her best Matt Wolfe impression.

I can honestly say we go out of way to repair more ball marks than we make and never behind in pace.

Seems every group of 20-30 yo hacks wanna hit into us. One group when they got to the green and we were on tee. I say yes you're really tough for hitting into a 13 yo girl.

I was really to toss every M4 iron of mine at them. :-)

The Pro shop people know my kids and that's never a problem. They've been going together alone for almost a year since my son started driving.

Used to be an issue, not any longer. Son (16) and daughter (14) well known at local courses. All the pros know their coaches and once they tee off its a non issue. Used to have to name drop to get junior rates, lots of passive aggressive crap. The usual. Aside from Ian bringing a fishing pole sometimes that it.

My daughter won our club championship at 12. Needless to say the women were not very happy. They complained to the pro and didn’t want her to even be eligible to play. There are a few of the ladies that will speak to her but not many. I wish they would invite her to play with them every so often just to serve as a mentor role for her but they don’t seem interested in that at all. I just told her to remember how they are treating her and don’t do that when she gets older and there is a young junior like her who is starting to become a good player.

We've run into the same issue. The best is when we go to tee off on the first hole with a group of guys and they tee off from the white tees and my son (12) goes and tees off from the blues. They usually stop flapping their gums after that. Like how hard is it to be nice and courteous before you even know how good the kid can play? If you get through the first hole and the kid is obviously out of their league then maybe say something then. But to run your mouth or try and jump ahead of a group before you see a swing is just rude. Plus if you've never played at our course before he can probably help you with where to aim and yardages.

I will say that we also get partnered up with some really cool guys that make it fun for him. Sometimes they'll make side bets with him, etc. which is always funny to me. He has no reservation of taking money out of people's pockets. He once won a $100 off a dad during a junior tournament when he made an eagle putt. I told the dad he didn't have to pay though.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

When I first started golfing with my daughter and older cane up to me a swore at me and told me to get my kid off the course. The ranger was not nice either.

I was treated better at other public courses but still felt the same things everyone has said here I. The thread.

because of that Treatment I went out and found a club to play at. Best thing I ever did first club was really a good deal dues were low and no initiation to join. Golfing was great but the course was crowded overall a good experience.

After having a private club experience I eventually moved to golfing community. I have to say the welcome I got with the kids playing golf has been unbelievable. The member love playing with my daughters and is a very good overall experience.

A big no no is to do the club championship in most cases there is no benefit for the a junior to play especially when your talking about the women’s championship. Chances are the women playing are all score over a 100 and play 4000 yards or less. My daughter bowed out and instead the women playing actually came up and asked tips. Even better the women who won claimed the tip on putting helped. It has gone a long way to having her accepted on the course

Like many have said, its less common once the staff and regulars get to know them see them around often. A popular one seems to be trying to get cut...usually its with "we'll be out of your way quickly, we play fast...." My reply is usually, "so do we, go ahead if you are in a hurry but dont hold us up, we play really fast". My son and I then add to our game the goal to try to be on their tail waiting in fairway/tee on every shot with our hands on hips (the impatient golfer pose).

Anyway...It is also fair to mention, like others have, how warm and encouraging staff and other golfers/members can be. Truth be told, there are far more encouraging comments and gestures than there are snubs. Maybe I will change the title to get a little good with the bad!

Good things I can remember.....encouraging comments from staff and other golfers, pro taking time for a chipping or putting contest, free hat from pro-shop ("free" being relative to what I pay in club dues, haha), staff usually gives him free range balls at public course where we play frequently ( I also have tought him to collect every empty basket from the range and return it to the shop when he leaves).

Funny you bring this up I almost got into a fight yesterday on the golf course over something that happened with my daughter. She was practicing her short game in our pitching area which stretches out to about 60 yards she was around 40 yards and then out of nowhere hits one dead right looked like she nearly missed the ball and toed it badly. It's golf it happens from time to time but some clown who worked at the course decided it be a good idea to make fun of a 9 year old girl, not just one commit but multiple. At first I just brushed it off because if I went over there quickly I knew it wouldn't be great. Then I watch two other employees come over to my daughter bring her drinks and snacks and apologize for what this clown had said. He tired to deny when at least 4 other employees saw and heard what he said, I talked to the GM typical bs response I apologize he my bust employee bla bla bla but nothing will happen, at least not yet. Then he tried to approach me and claim he didn't say anything thats when I about lost it, tell me you were joking around fine I can deal with that don't come up to me and lie to my face. I'm normally not that short tempered until you mess with my kid. You can made a kid cry and feel, a grown ass man thinking just because they don't like juniors and especially female juniors. Not to mention I've seen him swing most juniors I know would mop the floor with his candy ass. I really hate the golf stigma at times. This clown works for the golf course on top of it all!!

It is like life. There are ass holes everywhere. Most of the people know my kid. He plays so fast we played 18 holes the other day from forward tees (5800 yards) in 1 hour and 20 minutes shooting a disappointing 66 (that is not sarcasm it has to be better than that from forward tees). Didn't run into a single person on the course. Most people know us there because he is usually top 3 for rounds in a year there. If his rounds after the pro shop closed counted he would have the most. Most people let him play through because they know him and know he plays fast because he isn't shooting above 75. The worst are the old ladies or older couples playing. These folks are slow. They will drop several balls until they hit a good shot and it doesn't matter who they hold up behind them. If they know you are there, they just avoid you. There is one couple that is miserable to be around. They have to be in their mid 70's and the old man tries to play from the tips (6800 yards) and doesn't drive the ball 200 yards. Not like the tour is calling anytime soon. He will either do one of two things when he gets behind people like this. 1) He will play another ball from another set of tees. 2) If know one is in front we will just skip around them while giving them the imaginary finger. I honestly think that every Private Course should give an introductory class on course etiquette and how to play quickly.

Why is it that guys 25-35 try to play from the tips? My opinion is every course should have a handicap limit to play the back tees. My opinion is also to take into consideration how far the hit the ball. Was listening to Paulson and Paulson on Tour radio months ago. They said to take your 5 iron and multiply by 36 and this will give you the max distance you should play from. I is pretty spot on. My kid can easily play from 6800 yards to 7000 yards. My boy isn't that long off the tee and he easily outdrives most of the hackers at our club.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

) He will play another ball from another set of tees.

This drives me crazy. Usually a guy will go back to a cart and get a new ball while the next group is waiting.

2) If know one is in front we will just skip around them while giving them the imaginary finger. I honestly think that every Private Course should give an introductory class on course etiquette and how to play quickly.

Just be a fine. If people hold up pace of play then 100 bucks is added to their food tab paid out to everyone playing that day.

Why is it that guys 25-35 try to play from the tips? My opinion is every course should have a handicap limit to play the back tees.

Funniest is watching them try to bomb it and it barely goes to the fairway.

He generally plays the tips on Saturday/Sunday to simulate a weekend tournament. His goal is to put the score under 150 total for the two days. The Monday he will play 5800 yards, Tuesday back to the tips, Wednesday 6400 yards, Thursday back to the tips, and Friday he will play whatever which usually ends up being the tips. So yesterday he is playing the whites with a 30 year old walker playing the tips. Get to hole 4 which is a short Par 4, but it is 190 yard carry to get the ball over a series of fairway bunkers or you have to bail out to the right. Yesterday he says to me as we are waiting for him to tee off "Dad. 5 Bucks he doesn't get it over the fairway bunkers." I mistakenly took the bet. Guy bails out to the right (I don't know if it was on purpose or not) and does not have enough to cover the bunkers. This guy has not business playing from there. Doesn't play in the club championship and I will kiss his ass if he can break 90 from there. Makes absolute no sense.

I don't play golf. So when we are on the course it is all him. Him playing 2 balls from different tee boxes is not slowing anyone down.

OMG what a pertinent topic. I have to contain my anger all the time. My son shoots par +- 2 from the womens tees (5200) and we play 9 in about 90 minutes or less. We have these hacks waving their hands when they get to the tee box early asking him to tee off. I reamed the asst pro when he asked a fivesome to jump in front of him. Things have changed since he won the junior club championship.

M1 Tour AD GP 6s
Bio Cell+ 3 W Red Tie
Adams OS 3 4 Hybrid
Mizuno MP H5 5 - PW
Miura Tournament 50 55 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

"OMG what a pertinent topic. I have to contain my anger all the time."

Worst ever was about 2 years ago. My son and I were playing where his Pro teaches. No body behind us. Pro says tee off 10. We're walking remind you. Between 10 and 11 is about a 5 minute walk. As we are walking off 11's green a ball lands about 10 feet from my son (on the green). We look up and this older man is screaming something and waving his club at us. Figured it was like my bad or something.

Figuring they were behind us at some point we wait at the tee box for them to past. He comes screaming up in the cart. He was like don't know not to cut in front of people.

I'm pissed now (son knows it) I laugh a little. I said yes its very rude if you can see the group which we didnt and was told to tee off. Is that ok to hit onto a green with people on it.

I said I suggest you tee off now! My son was like man I'm glad to see you mad at someone else.

Had a guy hit into us once so I casually walked over, picked up his ball and tossed it into the street. My son hit into a guy once and he came over yelling at me like I had done it. Pointed out that I didn't even have any clubs so I told him to tell my son about it. He calmed down and gave my son the what for but now my kid doesn't hit into people.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Best move when hit into is to keep their brand new ProV1, replace it with that waterlogged Topflite you have at the bottom of your bag and sit it up on a tee. Adding a little note (or picture) on the ball with Sharpie is a nice finishing touch. We found a guy in our foursomes ball teed up nice and high in the middle of the fairway last year with an "interesting" picture drawn on it....haha. A good laugh and the point was made nice and clear.

We have been fortunate in our area not to encounter any negative treatment towards my son. He is very big on golf etiquette. When we are at the range he returns his basket and they ones around him. He always ask for sand for his bottle to repair divots ( honestly when he asked for that they take him serious) when we are playing by ourselves and have to wait to tee off I typically pick up tees on the tee boxes and put them in the trash. He has actually gotten several free round and range tokens when they see him doing that so it pays off as well.

My son has more etiquette than I. When I am driving an people won't let us through I ride behind them hard to force them to let us through. When he drives he hangs back.

I really have disdain for the ladies on our course. If he plays up a tee box there are greens he can get to within 50 yards on the greens. The old ladies, though they are on the greens, will complain he is hitting into them on PAR 4's!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen it go both ways. My son has been treated poorly or blamed for things at my club. It was usually when he was playing as a single, he never said anything. He's 21 now and will respond back accordingly.

I've also seem it the other way. When my son was a junior in high school I took him and another kid to play a practice round where the HS valley championships were being played the following week. The other kid is now a freshman at a national power D1 school. We are on a par 5 on the back 9, the kid is going for the green in 2. He hooked it left towards the next tee box, as he walks up to his ball the group on the tee says hey you almost hit us. The kid says "no it didn't", that didn't go over well. I walk over there and apologize for the kid almost hitting them and the get the situation calmed down. The guys in the group kept saying all he had to do was say sorry, this kid never did. Just because you're really good doesn't mean you get to act like as ass.

A couple years ago I took my family up to Apple Mountain to play. Me, wife, an 8-year old and my son who was 13 at the time. The starter saw us and (probably because the four fat guys scheduled behind us complained) let a foursome cut in front of us. Well, my wife just hit intermittently. My little daughter just rode along and enjoyed the nature. My son and I were both crushing it that day. The entire front 9 these shlubs who cut in front of us were wandering around the hillside greens looking for their balls. They'd look back and there my son and I would be - standing 100 yards out by our balls in the middle of the fairway waiting for them to get moving. I didn't really care, but found it funny. Then, on 10 we didn't see them on the green. It's 300 yards down a very tall hill, pretty obscured behind some trees - par 4. He hit the right fringe with his driver and I hit the left with my 5-wood. They were on the green. Oops. We didn't see them anymore as they raced off. I felt bad about that and was glad we didn't hit them. Even the starter was a little rude on #1. My son hit the longest drive of his life (so far) that day on the back 9 - a nice memory for us that we got on video.

When we first joined our CC if the old guys saw a group of 3 of the boys out there they'd automatically call the pro shop to make up some complaint. These boys can play, though. And with me just following along to rake bunkers, etc. we never held up the pace. The assistant pro would drive out in the cart after they'd call, see it was us, and go "Oh hell..." and turn around and go back to the shop. He knew we were fine. Eventually that stopped. Now, the old guys like to watch the boys and envy their swings.

This weekend the two kids and myself played in the mountains of Virginia. Alot of blind spots. The course was so backed up and busy. The foursome hit into us on the 4th and 5th. While we were in the fairway. Said something on the 4th. Told them 5 I wouldn't care who it was that hits one of my kids. I am kicking all four of your a****. Hit in into us again and see what happens.

Needless to say they backed off.

I don’t recall having any issues as a junior but this goes back to mid-late 90s. Maybe it is a societal shift to people being more selfish and entitled.

I think the only issue we had was the looks from the players waiting to tee off or the comments starters would have at courses we have never played. My mom would play the white tees with us(remember courses weren’t being stretched out like today) and she stripes it 220 down the middle of the fairway. She would move up a tee on longer 3, 4, 5s to get the best opportunity at par but when par 4s were 350-400 and you can hit 220yd drives on a string, why move up 75yd and be forced to play driver wedge all round.

A local county course where my mom plays by herself every morning, the regulars are now filling their foursome out with her because she is the type of player that steps up and hits the ball. Wasn’t always that way when she decided to play on her own.

Sucks that you juniors and your juniors deal with this attitude. I’ve never felt it but I’ve seen it with my mom and it just ruins the round before it even begins.

We are supposed to grow the game for others and encourage new players or those that may appear different from you or I to keep at it and love the game like we do.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

Have similar stories regarding my daughter and attitude from other golfers and club pros.

Two stories stick out. The first, my daughter is 10 y.o. And Grandpa invites her to play in his money game with his friends, $.50 a hole. The group isn’t crazy to let her play so they have her play In the group behind them and report her scores at the end. She ran the table taking the entire pot. The next week they had her play in front of them so they could watch her play, she took most of the pot. Finally, they let her play with them and was accepted. I’ve never seen more mother hens, than these guys when it came to my daughter. They took great care of her and taught her the fun side of golf, plus some words her mother wasn’t too happy about.

The second was a few years later. She was practicing at a course she hadn’t played before and came upon a short par 4. She didn’t think she could reach the green, as these stories go. Naturally, she hits a good shot and catches a great bounce, sending the ball through the green. The foursome looks back in her direction. I told her to apologize and admit her mistake. When she reached the group, she apologized and the oldest member of the foursome thanked her for owning her mistake. He also grinned and said to keep pounding the ball. I appreciated his comment.