Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

The Ms5 Do have the reverse muscle you speak of. I have to have another look at them when I get a second. I've actually got a brand new set of them with stickers on the faces up in the attic. I would say the resale on Mizuno Ms is pretty decent. Surprisingly so. Mizuno fanboys are a cult. More than a few want to get their hands on the retro, Japanese.

Cultish Mizuno fanbois? I resemble that remark. Did you get the woods off Yahoo? I've seen a few nice Clevelands on there recently. I'm trying to avoid buying any new persimmons as I have enough to be getting on with, although I've always got room for another 5w or 3w.

I might have seen the same Crenshaw Hagens you mentioned, as they're not that common. Were they on our favourite auction site? I was tempted by the ones I saw, but I'm trying really hard not to buy any new irons. That said, I did buy some MS-7s recently (2-SW), which I have been advised were probably a US-only release. That would explain why they are so rare over here. They are similar to the TP-9s, which were released in Europe, but may be slightly different. Back in the day, a couple of really good juniors at the same club as me played the TP-9s, and I have long wanted a set.

Actually, I have been looking out for some old Marumans and Daiwas, but not found anything quite right yet.

When you daughters get a bit older, try taking them out to the range. Two might be difficult to watch over, though. I occasionally take mine, and though I don't get much practice done, it's better than nothing, and the wife appreciates a bit of time to herself. There's also a course nearby that's pretty child-friendly, and I sometimes go for an evening 9 with her and a golfing mate of mine, then we go out for yakitori (well, we did before the pandemic). My daughter likes driving the cart (with my help), and an evening out afterwards with the "ojisans".

Interesting discussion about the various Mizuno MS line blades. I used to think Mizuno's blade prime was from the MP-14 to the MP-37. Then I hit an MS-9 on the range from a random fellow blade player that allowed me the honor. It was a 2i with original grip so hard and crusty it felt like wood. As I addressed the ball I set my expectations low because of the grip and pure age of the iron. I hit a good shot and was pleasantly surprised on the feel. Despite the grip it was the typical Mizuno "buttah" feel. And ball flight and distance was similar to my baby blade 3i and 2i. I hit a few more balls with the 2i and a few others. Enough to confirm that Mizuno has always been making great blades and their feel/feedback is timeless They were likely the oldest blades I've tried. And now I see the MS line and Muirfields in a newer light. So glad I got to hit them.

The random guy was a new golfer and was viewing the set as his learning/practice/beater set. I told him he should regrip them, possibly reshaft, and with it he's gonna be fine playing them for years as a primary set. Interestingly, no matter how hard I tried, he declined from trying out my satin Miuras (aka my Cal Hotties). He said they were too beautiful, and it was like he didn't feel worthy or something being a new golfer. I told him they were no different than his own clubs. But he would not hit them.

In other news, last week my wife came out to the range with me after her not playing for around a year or so and me for several months. LOL not surprisingly we were the only "blades" couple out there. She finally put decent time into hitting her Hogan Vector Lites set that I had back in high school and had fixed up for her. I hit a few balls with them. They are so light (C3 swing weight)! The feel is nice and crisp on a good hit but harsh AF on a miss hit. Crazy feedback. Anyway, yep, my blades playing wife is a keeper and we're the "bada** blades" couple. Is it considered domestic abuse making my wife play harsh blades? ?

5G4QEBTHDZOE.jpg

• Like 1

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

@No_Catchy_Nickname , those Muirfields are righteous.
Ditto on the new Cobra rev 33. Lot of good blades released in last few years, this one is whole hog bold and unrepentant.
I've been looking at the older Mizuno's too. The one that's got my interest is the TP-19. Faldo had a hand in them, which resonates because the Faldo wedges I have are top notch.
  • Like 1

LOL @Kingcat990 it looks like a hockey stick next to my baby blade. The contrast is exacerbated a bit because you can see the height of the club is short so it does look stretched out. It's long for sure but not that long. I have no idea why and it doesn't make much sense to me since the goal of the club was for it to be light weight. You'd think it would be smaller in size to achieve that. It also has a pretty big sole for a blade too, and it tapers as it goes up the height. The bulge is basically at the sole rather than thickest behind the ball.
On a different note, since there is not as much mass at the head, my thoughts on why the feedback is so harsh is because of that less mass. Vibrations in the head are easily transmitted through it as compared to a heavier head that has more weight which resists vibrations a little more.

Registered Bladeocrat

It's an interesting head design. Like all retro clubs, it looks like it needs to be smacked on the heel side of the face. Little research has pointed that they're from 84-85 and designed by Dave Pelz with a SW of B8. So yeah, they're light lol.

• Like 1

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

From a pure physics standpoint and without taking into account the actual shape of the head near the heel side, it is always more ideal to make ball contact as close to the heel/hosel as possible (...LOL but not actually contact the round part of the hosel). The reason is because of torque. Mathematically, torque on a linear shaped object equals the applied force on it times the distance of that force from a given fulcrum or point of rotation (T = F x d). The heel or hosel is the fulcrum. The closer you hit to it (without actually hitting the hosel), the less the torque on your hands and thus the less work they have to do to keep the clubface square at impact. This is why the older retro clubs were designed like that. Spoiler alert: this is the theoretical ideal "sweetspot" for any club. Otherwise torque on the hands and clubface will come into play. This is always why you know without a doubt that you hit a toe miss hit. You literally can feel impact the most with a toe hit.

Also the light weight (total, not SW) does enable you to swing that club faster and generate clubhead speed. So I understand that design intent.

It's not my favorite blade design at all, but I love those Vector Lites for the nostalgia. My sister had been hoarding them for years and I finally commandeered them, paintfilled and regripped them, and then gave them to my wife as her set because they were light enough for her. They are certainly just as good if not better than her "forgiving" newer CB Cobras. And yep sure enough she hits them just as bad and scores 110-120 like she always does.

Registered Bladeocrat

Those rev33s are so beautiful. Such a good design. Bold and unrepentant is right. The muscle is beefy AF. Simple triangular shape too. I always prefer a blade that has a straight line that defines the top of the muscle. It's pleasing to the eye and it has very simple physics from a temporary deformation standpoint. The feedback and also rigidity behind the ball at impact is going to be straightforward and simple across that whole muscle. And the angles definitely give it that bold look. It's a perfect match to Ricky's bold swing.

And wow ??? is all I can say when I look at that pure zero offset from the 4i topline pic. It's both physically and physics beautiful to me. Zero offset is theoretically the best design for ease of creating a square face at impact AND it minimizes the interference of the hosel. There's less chance of a shank with zero offset because there's more clubface literally in front of the hosel. I can't wait to see posts about them.http://www.golfwrx.com/606848/golfwrx-insider-inside-the-development-of-rickie-fowlers-cobra-irons-plus-full-specs/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Center_Sub&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=sub

Registered Bladeocrat

DeNinny, if you like no offset, you should see if you can scrounge up a set of 986 Tours. They are the ultimate in no offset irons.

I've probably mentioned those to you before. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

@NRJyzr those are some sweet blades for sure. I would love to hit them at least. And truth be told, offset really isn't THAT big of an issue with respect to almost any blade out there for me. With me it's really only an issue at the extreme "forgiveness" end and with clubs with graphite shafts. I remember a while back we exchanged posts about why extreme offset hybrids have a tendency to hook and you made the comment that it's possibly because of the offset COG of the clubhead, under the centripetal force of the swing, closing down the face as the clubhead comes into impact. This is entirely theoretically possible especially with a graphite shaft. That was a real light bulb moment for me and I really appreciated your insight on it. With metal shafts and again the fact that offset on blades is minimal anyway, I don't see it as nearly an issue. LOL that's why I accept it in my baby blades which have a tad more offset than I like in the shorter irons.
With me the more important design features of an iron are 1) the thickness and shape of the muscle behind the ball, 2) a minimal sole surface area and also with this minimal bounce, and 3) a minimal curved leading edge at the bottom of the face. Also for a purer feel I like the highest quality steel but this isn't a performance requirement. Minimal offset is a lot lower than these factors. Hence, my love for my baby blades above all other irons. They check boxes 1) - 3) for me. As do your Ram Tour Grinds, BTW.
  • Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

Got out yesterday and played a decent game. There's a par 5 on the back 9, 480 yards ob up the right side and a ravine on the left with ob. There's about a 20 yard window to land driver and I need 80 or more to feel comfortable, so I pulled out my Seve Dunlop one iron. I'd already hit it a few holes earlier and just absolutely striped it. I hit this one right down the pipe with a 5 yard draw leaving 240 yards to the pin. Then I pulled it again and put it 30 feet for eagle, A nice solid low draw that was on the flag the hole time. Fuck did that feel nice. I hit the ball really well all day, concentrating on staying more centered over the ball on the back swing. Unfortunately two bad swings and another one iron I hit through the fairway to OB I never thought I could reach really killed the score. Still feeling back on track with irons and wedges feels good. Oddly, with full swing wedges looking at the wear pattern on Fred Couples wedges lead to an epiphany and I am hitting solid, higher and straighter wedges that don't have any movement. It's been such a weakness the last few years... Just have to find a place where I can work on pitching and I'm golden.

We were spared. We had a 10 oclock tee time. Arrived at 9am and tee off at 9:15. Went around in 4 hours which, as you know, is usually the first nine and lunch. So, the quickest 18 I've played on a nice course on this side of the Pacific. And, yeah, the two slashes in a row felt good. Hell, it still feels good and probably will every time I play that hole. I can remind my father in law. He won't even touch the club, just shakes his head.

By the way, any Daiwas making their way west?

No Daiwas making their way out here yet, I'm afraid. I got the time of the auction ending wrong, and was also distracted by the Little Noisy One (LNO), who wanted to play. Instead of opening up the auction an hour before it ended, I opened it up just as it had ended. They ended up getting five bids, going for a little over 2,000 yen plus shipping. I suppose it's all for the best, because it means I don't have another package arriving that I have to explain to the wife. Recently, the LNO has also been complaining about my collection of golf clubs. When she starts chucking her toys away, I'll start disposing of a few clubs.

RUCC2JPF6NC5.jpgMy set of smoked TMag TP MB's. Standard length, bent 2* flat and 2* strong, shafted with rifle 6.0's. Love this set incredibly. Need to think about having them refinished, shorter irons have some face chips here and there and in general I'd like to just have fresh grooves, but these are probably my favorite set of modern blades in recent memory. Right up there with my old Srixon Pro-100's, which I miss dearly these days.

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

I briefly owned a set of RAZR X mb's. Those will always stick with me. An amazing set of blades I foolishly sold. So I agree with both of you. Great set from Callaway. Have not owned anything as recent that was USDM in regards to blades. After those, I went retro MB's and JDM modern MB's.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

@DeNinny , nice to see you posting again and glad to read your baby blades are still in play??Having technical difficulties ? getting signatures to show up on mobile at the moment- still using the Exotics fairways? Hope you and yours are well??

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I think you are in a good place, as far as taste. Retro blades have it all. When the USA was putting out great clubs and when Japan was going through its boom. And, now modern JDM is the only place putting out clubs that aren't cookie cutter for the masses - except places like National Custom and there are a few others starting to use the model started in Japan, for example Avian (I think that's the name).

@Mitchell thanks and nice to hear from you again too! Notwithstanding my game and golf shape, I'm doing very well even in this pandemic we are in. (It's nice to have a beautiful wife to social distance with.) I hope things are well with you too.
Yeah I also can only see member sigs/WITB from my computer and never from my phone. I'm still gaming my CB2 Exotics for sure. They will likely stay in the bag as long as my BBs, given that they are one of the last generations of woods with true titanium faces. And my strong 3w (13*) is still my gamer driver. I'm down to my reg 15* 3w and that strong one only in my gamer bag. My BB 2i kicked the 5w out. ? But that said in my backup bag I still play Exotics CB2 5w and 3w with a CB4 10* driver. And I also still keep my two CB2 7w's around for either bag. Between my BBs and Exotics on an equivalent club basis, I get better distance with the latter but better control and I can hit more different shots with the former. So I keep all my shorter woods just in case I want to change my play style. By the same but reverse logic I also have my BB 1i ready to take my gamer 3w spot...but at the moment I'm not ready to put that 1i into play. I need to have a weight pulled out of it anyway.
Great to hear from you. Edit: On that note, what blades are you gaming these days? Find anything equivalent to your beloved Founders Club blades yet?

Registered Bladeocrat

Actually been playing one of my sets of Titleist 962b for quite some time now, the sole grind and turf interaction just suit me perfectly, always have. I moved a couple of sets of Founders 200 series blades and only kept two sets of the “Payne grind” of those as my “Janzen grind” sets seemed a touch more difficult to flight down for me due to more offset and a lower muscle/vertical c.o.g. than the preferred sets that I kept. All that being said, lots of positives in the RF protos that got to see in hand recently and I have a couple of Bridgestone/Tourstage options that show a bit of promise as well.

• Like 1

Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I could see many clubs working well with improved sole grinds. And those 962bs are fine clubs. They still have a good muscle within that "cavity", as do many CBs.

One of these days I hope to come across some Founders Club 200s out in the wild. Then I'm gonna beg the owner to let me hit one just once. At the moment the only classic irons on my wish list to actually buy are Wilson FG-59s. But at the right price and condition I might buy some FCs.

I'm so jelly you've seen the rev33s in person! Please do tell if you get to hit them soon. ?

Registered Bladeocrat

@Mitchell your post about those 962b's made me study them even further. Also being the exceptional golfer that you are, it made me wonder why you would choose and play them over truer blades. And looking at the sole grind in more detail I *think* I know why now. The soles and true bottom of the club have been grinded down to a surface area that is even LESS than most blades! Even though it's a cavity design with more mass at the perimeter, what they did with that club is grind the trailing edge of the sole to make the true "bottom" of the club as minimal as possible. That's an awesome grind! ?
I'll bet that if you compare that sole in a side by side pic to that of your Founders Club blades for the same # iron as the 962b it would have one just as small if not smaller than the FC blade. Just looking at stock pics online that's what it looks like to me.

Registered Bladeocrat

image0000001-9.jpg

image0000001-8.jpg

image0000001-4.jpg

image0000001-5.jpgB®AGADOCIOUS!

They're finally done. Took PW & #9i for quick spin, they swing very nicely & are super solid feeling. The S.P.B. launch perfect and have lots of intuition to them. SW came out a point heavier than planned. Ferrules could have been done a bit better, but progression of gross weight, SW and lengths are spot on. About 7g a head, .400" lengths and a graduated SW from D6 in PW & 9i, to D5 in 8i & 7i, D4 in 6i & 5i, d3.5 in #4i. Lengths were set so I can hard step with ease if I desire.

The 681's get the hook, the 41CX go in bag right away based on a dozen swings at the ball field.

• Like 4

Brother Nard, those are reasonably attractive, I must say.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

@Nard_S , those are very nice ?? had the opportunity to acquire a set of those for a more than reasonable price back in 2013 when I lived on Oahu- of all the rare to see on mainland golf equipment I encountered there, which was quite a bit- I still occasionally wish had jumped on that chance. Hope you enjoy them!

Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Ping Zing2 BeCu

@Nard_S those are some se*y MFers. I keep singing the Prince song when I look at them. That super solid feel comes from that super solid muscle design. The shape is simple and elegant. Side by side topline, sole, and muscle pics with your 681s would be nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5hylnZYHx4

Registered Bladeocrat