2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Why are Bridgestone's Golf Clubs not more popular?

BKKALLDAY

I've always loved the look of Bridgestone's golf clubs, specifically their irons and wedges and they have always performed incredibly well. As a matter of fact, I just bought a set of the J36 Cavity backs because my iron game was significantly better years ago when I gamed a set and I haven't been the same since. I find myself wondering, why do you think their clubs aren't nearly as successful as their golf balls?

I like to think it's because their designs have always been geared toward the better players and they never marketed much outside of throwing their clubs in the bags of guys like Kuch and Freddie Couples.

[u][b]Golf Ball Whacker Guy[/b][/u]
Titleist 913D2 10*
Titleist 913F 15*
Titleist 913H 21*
MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield Original 3-9
Vokey SM5 48* 52* 56*
Never Compromise Dinero Exec

I bet if you asked them, they couldn't even explain their go to market strategy. So there's that, for a start.

• Like 2

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I remember back when I was playing college golf 15 years ago I saw my first Bridgestone club - A J's forged cavity back. I heard of the driver back when Jumbo gave them out to Nicklaus and Floyd too. And I didn't see another Bridgestone club until I got to Japan. They are bigger over here for sure. There just aren't a lot of options in the west, I guess.

Has their marketshare declined (either Bridgestone and/or Tourstage) in Japan? I'm not very familiar with the who actually has what market share in Japan, but my overall feeling is they're not nearly as visible as they were 10 years ago.

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX

Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist TS3 21* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Titleist T200 5 MCI Black 100X                                                Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Titleist T100S 6-AW MCI Black 100X                                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* MCI Mild 125                                        

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

They have zero distribution channels and don't seem to really care about expanding it. They make all of their money in golf balls and tires, they aren't exactly hurting. The big box store I worked at a few years ago reached out to see if we could start carrying them again and the Canadian distributor declined. That was the story I was told. I now work at a smaller fitting studio and reached out on Instagram about carrying them or at least getting them on a trial basis, and never even so much as got a message inquiring about what I was interested in.

• Like 1

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I've heard several people make comments along the lines that they aren't interested in clubs made by a "tire company".

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

Exposure, marketing, and tour play might all contribute. I’ve played Bridgestone for the last 4-5 years and I have been the only person in my area that has, I have never seen them in anyone’s bag. A local, top 100 golf shop, carried them for about 1yr about five years ago then dropped them. I think if people could actually see the clubs and swing them they would do better.

I’m currently playing the tour b cb and they are incredible irons! As soft and solid as anything I’ve ever hit. The quality of their product is second to none. Their equipment release cycles are weird as well. The tour b irons were out in 16/17 I believe with no update of what is next and when.

It’s a shame really that they don’t care about marketing their equipment. I’ve reached out to them multiple times as well to ask questions about equipment with no response. It’s all about the golf ball market share.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Searching…

Searching…  

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

Well, the clubs are fantastic, as good as their golf balls. I picked up a J40 DPC 6 iron a month ago as a test club and I am amazed at how good it is. No wonder Couples played it for so long. Sweet feeling irons, powerful flight. J38DPC, J40DPC, the CBs, the J15CB (I used to play that one) — very well-designed, many Tour wins. The J715 and JGR drivers are very underrated. Both have Tour wins. The Tour B X-CB released a few years ago is outstanding.

They appear to care more about ball sales. Probably better profit margins. Maybe they take the view that sending clubs as inventory to a lot of golf stores does not pay off and will not be the main way clubs are sold in the future. Could be true already. Certainly the pandemic is driving more business to online only.

They offer a direct to consumer demo program on their site and you can buy clubs directly from Bridgestone as well. But that only works for new models. For older ones, you can get them for affordable prices if you look around for well-kept sets — or beat-up sets. I look at beat-up Bridgestone irons as excellent candidates for refinishing because you can get them for very little. However, certain models in pristine condition will hold their value better than some might expect because better golfers know about Bridgestone. The J15CB is always sought after but so are the J40 CB and DPC, which are very similar to the J38 versions. I kind of like that I don’t see them in bags everywhere.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

The Prime Time for Bridgestone was J33.I had J33cb irons,J33 5,3 and Driver set.The driver was famous and the Cbs are classics. The J36 ok J38 better and J40 was where they Peaked again for a while.I had Tourstage MR23 non US,cool!!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Most people have never heard of Sumitomo tires much less know that Srixon is owned by them... it's a lot easier to equate Bridgestone with Bridgestone and come to that generic conclusion..

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

I think it depends on who you ask. I see them as being very popular. I think the 2020 BX ball is amazing and will be my ball this year. I see a lot of the RX, RXS, and E12 balls being sold.

Whats not to like? They are one of 4 companies the control their production from beginning to end. The other being Titleist, Srixon, and just recently Callaway. But I think callaway is only doing the Chrome softs completely in house..

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Agreed, I played the J33 combos for several years, great irons. Also the J33 460 driver (still to my one of the best looking 460 heads) , J33 3 wood, J33 Hybrid, and the Airmuscle utility iron. I also had a Bridgestone 52 wedge. I played Bridgestone balls for over 10 years also.

I think it could be one of those things where a Japanese company has people in charge of marketing who just don't get a foreign market. They seem to do marketing well with balls, but their equipment strategy seems to be abysmal.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Agree with all of this especially the J40 line though I would say the newer stuff has not missed a beat. Irons are still as strong as ever and the drivers are better — more forgiving and long. The newest JGR driver gets no hype but has multiple wins on pro tours.

The company has emphasized golf balls (and auto tires).

A couple of problems I see:

Not that many off-course chain golf retailers offer them. Most of the shops I have seen with Bridgestone are independent shops, maybe three or stores in a region.Less than aggressive marketing. In past they have been one of those company that will ship you some test clubs, but it's hard to realize this unless you go to their web site.A few years back I got a test kit of J40 Dual Pocket Cavity irons. It was a 5i and 9i shafted in the old DG R300 SL, and a second 5i and 9i shafted in NS Pro 950 R-flex. I got to try out the clubs, and really liked them, but decided to get my Callaway X20 Tours reshafted in the NS Pros.

The nearest Bridgestone fitter was 25 miles away, and I had a tight schedule that spring and just didn't want the hassle.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Some of my best golf was with Bridgestone J33s. The J33R is still my best driver. Nothing can touch it in terms of feel and raw distance when you hit it well. I'm actually still actually using a J33 3W and it's still a beast. Maybe not the longest but I have a bunch of confidence in it.

I've always wondered if they would've been better off creating another brand specifically for golf to eliminate the "tire" company stigma.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

People associate the brand with tires more than golf. So newbies don't want to play itTheir clubs are usually very classic in design and usually only "purists" are attracted to them. But Mizuno and titleist will always be picked before them in the "classic" categoryThey aren't easily found in standard golf storesnot many big names playing them on tour. Kuchar yea - but he's not exactly an attention getter

I was ready to build a complete Bridgestone bag when the j40s came out... Driver, woods, hybrids, irons, wedges... I liked them all and wanted new clubs... I spent 2 months chasing down a Bridgestone rep to actually DEMO the clubs, he didn't bring much and this was before my local store had a GOOD hitting bay... I didn't want stock clubs (I need at least 1/2 long)... ended up with just a hybrid. It was great while it had a spot in my bag... but it got replaced (though mostly because I played games with the shaft, and didn't like the new feel).

They make some great irons, but so do alot of people... I don't know! I wish they were more readily available... might have to look at the driver again.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I see it differently. I feel that they have geared their club aesthetics to the Asian market since the j40/j15 line. Not as appealing to me personally. The j40 dpc and cb irons may have been the best irons ever for all levels of golfers. Nothing that they make now compares. They drop an updated j40 dpc and they are in my bag immediately.

The j33, j36, j40, and j15 are highly thought of. Everything else...eh.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

The J33 460 changed driver design. Instead of making the clubhead shell as stiff as possible while trampolining the face, the firmed the face and thinned the clubhead top section. That allowed face flex without violating testing criteria. Soon, that concept was in every driver made.

That is today still an integral part of driver design. Paper thin top.

It must not be that important to them, to get their clubs in peoples hands. I almost feel like they are backing away from club manufacturing in a way. Would be a real shame, their irons are some of the softest feeling irons I have played yet. Loved the J38 DPC, had the J40 CB, and now gaming the J15 cb. I have not found an iron that can beat them. But, if they can survive on ball sales alone, that's pretty good.... I can see why, they make an excellent golf ball.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

Used to play the j38cb for a while and loved them with my West Coast wedges. But moved on as we do. I just picked up a Tour B JGR head off the bay for nothing along with a XD3 head. Stuck a kuro kage in the JGR and it is the straightest driver I've ever played. Sold my EF with a smoke shaft because I hit the JGR better. I now have some hf2 irons on the way. Guess I'm a bstone fan.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

I hope none of those people play Srixon equipment as they will be in for a rude awakening. Bridgestone has a varied portfolio of businesses like SRI (Sumitomo). Many here and outside of WRX would be surprised that Ping is not just a golf club manufacturer.

FTR Fortune Brands did okay with their product diversification while selling Titleist/Vokey/Cameron/Footjoy and Cobra product at one time while simultaneously selling well known alcohol, tobacco, insurance, office supplies and hardware products. Bridgestones marketing for golf gear outside of golf balls is awful in spite of making excellent clubs.

Mitsubishi/Aldila shafts also do quite well as being part of a huge conglomerate known as Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings. As do other "golf" brands.

Would like to hear how you like the HF2s. If I were looking at clubs like Ping G410s, Titleist T200 or Mizuno Hot Metals, I’d definitely take a look at the HF2s. Only a few reviews out there on them but those are very positive.