Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

I can do that. Can tell you they are 3mm taller than 681's and near same on length. They are heavier too by about 5 gram average. The sole is more cambered & have a uniform off set of 3mm. The 681's are really good clubs but the shafts are "X" & plus 1/2". The "S" of S.P.B. have a smoother feel though there's nothing light about them, lengths are +1/4:" in short irons, standard in mids, minus 1/4" in long irons. All of which are ideal to my liking.

Yeah my baby blades are heavier heads too. The hosel is beefier than most clubs which makes them heavier despite the smaller head.

Mitchell has got my head churning with his talk and my observation of his 962b soles. Also those pics will help me validate some things I'm seeing between them as I look at stock 681 pics. So thanks in advance! Also even beforehand I'm going to go out on a limb and say that those 41CXs are going to have beautiful turf interaction for you.

Seriously my blade brother, those are awesome and more awesome as I keep looking at them. And that chrome-ish sheen is too beautiful. Out in the sun they are going to sparkle beautifully. Great score. ?? ???

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

@Kingcat990 I hope these two pics put the size of those Vector Lites into perspective as compared to my BBs.
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/5MMP9K9843ET/img-20200520-212050353.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/7Y7IWHFLHTMP/img-20200520-211659696.jpg[/img]They are not that much longer but the overall sole surface area is significantly bigger because they are wider. BBs FTW in that regard.

Registered Bladeocrat

681's have more conventional sole than the 962B. They do have some bounce & camber, they are not pure blunt. 962B has the 4 way camber thing going, as do most all Maruman's. 681's look to me inspired by MP-14's. (Tiger did play those). The silhouette all around is nearly identical, there's just a bit more beef & a taller faced look to them. Real lookers. They perform too. They don't have Mizuno grain forged, but they do come with dowels. :)

• Like 1

Thanks. Even without pics you just validated what I was thinking. I thought I saw camber in the 41CXs that was similar to the 962bs. Light and reflections can trick your eyes, though. Make you think there are curves and corners when there are not. Also in the heel to toe dimension it looks like the 41CX sole has more curvature than the 681's.

Agreed on the mp14 and 681 similarities. The only observable difference is how the top boundary of the muscle curves towards the toe. But overall muscle shape is similar. To me the 681s are like a combination mp14 and mp33.

Registered Bladeocrat

Since only have the Payne grind sets anymore, don’t have ability to post a side by side comparison anymore- yet glad to give my thoughts, such as they are on those, also note that during their retail production run, there were a couple of variants as well. The best way to describe profile/ shaping of the Payne grinds is like a Nike VR Pro TW with a bit more bounce and camber. The Janzen grind has a bit shorter blade length, a higher, square toe and significantly less bounce, sole really reminds me of the “MacCobras”. Janzen grind also has more offset than Payne, with the Payne PW being higher in heel than the Janzen- this, along with reduced offset, makes Payne PW look much less like the infamous Japanese garden implement wedges common during that period across many manufacturers. Janzen wedges and short irons tend to remind me of those preferred by Olazabal, hardly surprising since both were Macgregor players for more than a few years. Hope that helps a bit!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Sounds like we need to get Don White to grind us a GolfWRX Blade Users-specific Blade that we can all use...I think he had a hand in most of the clubs mentioned ?

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

The WRX Limited Edition Shameless Blade Ho Grind. ?

Sign me up!

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

Hi DN...good to see you back!

Hope all is well in these strange times ?

• Like 1

Radius Classic 8

My Blades Brother mahonie, thank you and it is good to be back. Yes, things are well despite the current social distancing environment. LOL my wife and I are hermits anyway so to us life goes by as usual. My hair is long and scrubby, if there's anything to complain about. ?

Good to see you in here and see your posts in other threads. I don't post much myself outside of this one and a few others. Helps me keep my WRX sanity to limit my reads. ?

Hope all is well with you too and that your blades are still behaving. ?

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

Glad all is good with ?

All good here DN...probably a sad indictment of my lifestyle but nothing much has changed despite lockdown ??.

Obviously golf has been off the agenda but I had decided to pause my club membership in any case as my club for the last 10 years had declined in quality due to neglect over time. The extremely wet winter highlighted the poor maintenance of the drainage system and the course was waterlogged for the best part of October to March. I only played 8 times in that time due to course closures. Courses are back open now but I am not yet inclined to venture out. I will try some other courses before deciding on membership over the next few months.

The MP4s are no longer in my bag! My 19 year-old son decided that he wanted to start playing last summer and he took a shine to the Mizzys (hits them really well and had developed a nice baby draw) and I couldn’t take to playing my Mac MT Pro Cs full time so invested in the Cobras I now have. Tbh, I thought I was getting the full MB set but when I got to the shop it was the ‘flow’ set. Hit them ok and I’m a sucker for a bargain ?.The heads are really compact and suit my eye but the CBs (4-6 irons) don’t have the same feel although they’re not too bad.

Stay safe ?

• Like 1

Radius Classic 8

mahonie without MP-4s somehow doesn't seem real....

While I don't play my MP-4s as much because I like to play a lot more persimmon and old blades now, I can't leave them out of the modern bag. The MP-4s compete with Wilson FG-62s, with the FG-62s being the go-to choice in windy weather (really low ball flight).

• Like 2

@mahonie Since you passed those beautiful MP-4s along to your son I cannot give you too much grief about it. When I was around 16 I commandeered my father's Hogan Vector Lites (per 3i pics a few posts ago) after I took a liking to them. You are a good golf daddy putting your son before yourself. You "took one for the team" playing CBs. ?
And I know what you are saying about players CBs not feeling as good but still playing not too bad. That's how my mp60s were. I call those clubs 'MAWBBs' as in Might As Well Be Blades. ?. The feel is what kills them for me.
Good to hear all is well with you too and that the saddest part, IMHO only, is that you are playing CBs. That's darn near golf he** to me. ???

Registered Bladeocrat

My GripMasters arrived yesterday, now it's time to nut up or shut up (yeah, I like the Zombieland movies). Have to decide if i want to go with Golden Rams or Mizunos as the recipient of this batch of leather.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

What grips do you currently have on both those sets? Put those Roos the set that needs replacement the most. LOL my prediction is that you'll have them on both eventually anyway. Good-bye miss hit sting 4eva! ?

Registered Bladeocrat

The Golden Rams are a reshaft project, switching from Rifle to DG. The Mizunos could be either MS-11, which are also a reshaft project, or the MP37, which have two Best Grips Microperfs (they'd remain) and six moderately worn MCC's.

The question is, which do I want to play going forward.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

That's a tough call. Putting them on the Rams with new shafts makes sense to me. But also I personally don't like Best Grips Microperfs myself, so I'd want to ditch them at first opportunity. Looking forward to seeing how you like the Roos either way.

Registered Bladeocrat

7-iron to PW are still blades so I’m only halfway there ??

• Like 1

Radius Classic 8

Blade users are always optimists. Glass half full types. ???

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

Ha ha...tbh during lockdown I’ve been practicing 5 yard bump and runs with my wedges in the lounge and the feel of the MP4 vs the Cobra has got me thinking that I may try and swap them back...just hoping my son takes a fancy to the Cobras ????

• Like 1

Radius Classic 8

LMAO @Kingcat990 you tell him! I'm tired of being the resident blades thread N*zi.
And @mahonie I just got done calling you a good golf daddy and now you want your son to play CBs!?!? ?. Now I'm tempted to call child protective service on you. ?
There is only one solution: buy some rev33s! And please post pics after. ?

Registered Bladeocrat

My son is not that enamoured with the Cobras...thinks the feel is nowhere near the Mizzys. What can I say...he knows what he feels and as we know, nothing feels like a Mizuno.

Rev33s look good, but I would be worried if the designers took 33 times to get it right...ha ha.

• Like 1

Radius Classic 8

I'm liking your son more and more the more I hear about him.

To me I see the 33 as the number of times Ricky tried to play blades that he actually wanted instead of playing what Cobra wanted him to market for them. ???

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

@DeNinny , just as a random aside, the RF prototype irons I held were one of the earlier iterations, not the rev33. That particular set had a sole and overall profile reminiscent of the Maxfli Australian blade TM92 model- definitely not a bad thing either?, as to which number revision it was, no clue, all I know was that despite best efforts, was not able to acquire set- yet??
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

gucci.jpg

• Like 4

TM Qi10 LS 9.0 Tour AD BB-7x 
TM Qi10 Tour 14.0 Graphite Design Tour AD BB-8x 
Titleist TSR2 18.0 HZRDUS Black 6.0
Mizuno 245 4-PW KB Tour C Taper 120 S
National Custom Works 48 Green KBS Tour High Rev 
National Custom Works 54 Green KBS Tour High Rev

National Custom Works 60 Green KBS Tour High Rev
Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport 2 sole stamp 

These are lovely. Simple and subtle, but the swoosh makes it feel modern.

• Like 1

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

Anyone else here regular flex guys? I have a set of MP4s that I'm going out tonight with XP 105 R300.

I bought them off Callaway Preowned late last year and put them into play until the end of the season. I was spooked the start of this season about what would happen if the wheels came off, but I figured to he|| with it. Game what you like and if the wheels come off "nut up or shut up" as the last page said :)

Dave