2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

Hoping and counting on my wife never reading this, here goes:

I now have FOUR Bobby Grace face on putters, having just gotten a prototype of his new one. It's been interesting to see his stuff for face on get better and better over the years, and he's incredibly creative and easy to work with. I ordered the new one to my specs on Monday morning; it arrived yesterday. I was fortunate enough to be home when the package arrived, so the putter went into inventory without detection and with no violation of our "don't ask, don't tell" policy about golf equipment.

In my hall closet, in addition to the (now) 3 BG putters that I'm not using at a particular moment, are a JuanPutt, which I used for a long time and still use to practice because of the putting trac that he sends with the putter, an STX that I bought because of Randy Haag but never really got the hang of because the black insert is just too soft and muted (he plays at the Olympic Club on FAST greens; I don't!), a GP putter that I like philosophically but is just too small and too light for me, For a very brief period, I also had a lightly used Scotty Cameron Kombi long putter, which was just beautiful and with which I made EVERYTHING inside at Golf Galaxy, but which had way too much loft for real greens, I found.

Two of those are out on loan right now to friends who want to see if face on is for them. I am NOT evangelical about it when I play with others, and I always tell them that it ain't for everybody. Ironically, of course, it IS for everybody in terms of being a better way to putt; I have ZERO doubt about that. But it's NOT for everybody because not only are most people just not willing to put in the work to learn it, but they worry about what others will think or are bothered by what chops say when they see face on in person.

EDIT: Oops; left one out of the hall closet list. I forgot the Directed Force, which I putted with for a couple of years. It's huge, but VERY light, only a tad heavier than the GP.

Hey Bluedot.

how do you like the new BG putter? It seems from the video to be a bit on the wide side and I wonder how that will limit the ability to hold the shaft close to vertical (as is my preference). Does it have a “tri-sole” grind?

Id love to see some photos as BG’s website has never been great for displaying his products.

cheers.

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

I haven't played with it yet, only putted on the carpet inside. I'll play tomorrow and Sunday and let you know. I have NO idea how to post pictures, btw.

As to the size and weight: The new one somewhat smaller than the F22; 1/4" across the face, and 1/2" front to back. It appears even smaller than that by comparison with the F22 because it doesn't have the center and rear mass that the F22 has. My finished version of the new one at 44" is 827g, which is 20g lighter than my F22 at the same length. You can add to that the difference between the weight of a Bobby Grace custom grip vs a Superstroke split grip, which I have on my F22; maybe another 6-10g's? (So the new one is almost exactly in between the F22 with and without the two front corner weights removed, which we discussed over the last couple of weeks.)

The sole grind is the same on the new one as on the F22, so no difference in the ability to hold it vertically, and I think it's the same insert as well, though black instead of the gray on the F22. The alignment aids are very different, simply because the F22 has center mass for the line to extend all the way front to back. On the new one, there is a "T" in the center, with the horizontal line being almost the width of a golf ball, which I really like.

The most noticeable differences putting on the carpet are sound and feel. The F22 sound is very muted, and there is NO vibration/feel from it; the new one is very different on both counts. It's brass instead of aluminum, and it has a definite pinging sound like other brass putters, plus a much clearer sense of whether or not you have hit it on the sweet spot; there is a tuning fork sort of feel to it. Both the sound and the feel are pleasant, at least on the carpet, fwiw, and my knee jerk reaction is sort of that the new one is more of a "players" face on putter while the F22 is a SGI putter, if that makes sense. That's not a compliment or knock to either one; they just strike me as VERY different putters.

Kudos to Bobby Grace for continuing to work at making better putters for what is really still a small niche of the golf equipment market. He's gotten better and better at it over the years since he first built a face on putter, and he is always easy to work with. Obviously, we're talking about VERY pricey putters, but that aside, he's doing great stuff.

• Like 1

That's a great question. I used the new one today, but on aerated/sanded greens after 6" of rain this week and no mowing since last Saturday. It was very hard to tell very much about anything.

I will say, though, that this is a VERY different putter than the F22. Totally different sound, feel, look, everything. Whether that turns out to be good in the long run remains to be seen. I'll play Friday at a course that has Bermuda and will be a reasonable speed; should have a better idea by then?

Well guys this morning I got to see J_Tizzle's F-22 putter up close and it is a bad-assed putter! Very nice gold colored putter. I might think about looking for one even though I've been playing with his old putter.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Absolutely!

I played yesterday and was putting lights out with my F22.

I predict it eventually keeps its #1 ranking in your bag.

Do keep us informed on the ups and downs with the new putter.

If you do end up liking it over the F22, I'd give it some serious consideration for my own bag given your history and knowledge of SS putters.

Haha love that you created the "don't ask don't tell" program at home, that's gold! And sounds like you have quite the collection! Strange to think that Dad and I have been putting this way for such a long time and have never used any of those other putters in the past. We did however have a nice long chat with PR Dionne at the PGA Show this year, awesome guy that had loads of positive things to say about us which was humbling as he's been in the biz for quite a while now.

I can't agree more with your thoughts in regards to how the average golfer feels about side-saddle. It makes too much sense from an athletic perspective to not be the most effective and natural way to putt however the putters are hard to find and most golfers don't want to be "different". I always ask people how they would: toss a bocce ball, throw a dart, bowl a ball or throw a cornhole bag and then why they would putt any differently, usually stumps them haha.

My ultimate goal with our brand is to grow the game by making putting on of the best parts of everyone's game by introducing a one of a kind custom putter alongside our professional expertise of the stroke. I know it will take time but I hope in the next couple of years it's not seen as a strange or rare style.

Thanks heaps for sharing and hopefully you'll add a Bomar to your collection soon!

• Like 1

@J_Tizzle did you get the Two Ball from Ed?
Curious as to how you find the weight. It’s the only side saddle putter i’ve owned and have nothing to compare it to but I imagine it may be a little light.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna say one thing, I played with J_Tizzle last Friday and his putter is really nice. He made lot of good putts. I stunked on the greens and maybe I should get one that he has!

Absolutely a great guy to play with.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Not really. My course punched the greens on the front nine, then we had rain the rest of the week, so it was a full week before they punched the back. The front is probably a week away from being perfect, with the back nine two weeks away at least. I decided after the first weekend that it wasn't a fair trial to use a new putter on bad greens; too much scar tissue. And when I've played away, it's been a round with some importance and/or money, so the F22 has stayed in place.

I've still been putting with the new one inside on the mat, and I'll give it a full trial outside later in the summer. But I must say, I sort of think your take on it is probably correct. It is very hard to imagine feeling as comfortable as I do with the F22 with anything else. And fwiw, with the two front corner weights out, the F22 REALLY feels great.

I promise I'll update.

I have a long Odyssey White Hot that you can cut to length and grip for your son if you want to pay for shipping.

• Like 1
Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

My experiment with the stability putter shaft is officially over. It just made the club much too heavy for me.

So I'm sending my other (backup) F22 back to Bobby Grace to be reshafted with his regular KA shaft.

He agreed to do the work for free and pay for all the shipping if he could keep the shaft.

Which is fine by me. Saves me the time of getting the shaft off and then trying to find a buyer.

I've been putting lights out with regular F22 so I know this is the right move.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the phone with Bobby Grace and put in an order for an f22 with ass kicker shaft at 48”

Very excited. Going to get bent over the table with shipping to Canada and conversion rate but Happy Birthday to me!

Side note; Bobby is a very nice guy and easy to talk to. Answers the phone himself which caught me off guard.

The honeymoon appears to be over. I have started putting all over the place with face on putting. I believe in the system and want to keep putting this way.

The main problem is on the course. On the practice green all goes well. On the course I am well short or long. I am missing the 3-5 footers that i always sunk. One round last week I would have had 6 3 putt greens and at least one 4 putt. (Normally there may have been 1 three putt if any) I am finding that I am not swinging the club straight back and thru and often the face is mis aligned.

Any suggestions welcome. I use the GP putter technique. I have tried changing putters and that went well for one round. Next round it was back to poor putting. I still hit the occasional good putt but in general I am hitting more bad putts.

Three things occur to me, in no particular order:

With ANY method of putting, poor distance control is most often about falling in love with the line; face on is no different in that regard. Pick the line, trust that you are going to get the ball started on that line, and then ONLY worry about pace. Again, with ANY putting method, a decelerating stroke is deadly to both line AND speed, and again, face on is no different. If you are popping the ball instead of releasing the putter head down the line, you are going to get off line at least marginally, AND your distance control will be for crap. Your last thought should be rolling the ball to the hole, not the stroke itself. In fact, one of the biggest advantages of face on is that you don't have to manipulate the stroke; your arm is literally built to swing back and forth that way. But it's a hard, hard habit to break after years and years of trying to control the stroke while putting conventionally; your brain will default to that way of thinking unless you are aware of it.If you are especially worried about the straight back/straight thru thing, then just take a couple of 1x2's or yardsticks or whatever, and build a putting track for yourself that is the same width as the face of your putter. Most likely, you'll reassure yourself that you ARE going straight back and straight thru; if anything you'll find that you need some work on releasing the putter head completely, which has nothing to do with the method you're using.It is hard sometimes to remember that a missed putt, or a poor putting round, or a putting slump isn't necessarily about the method you're using, but more likely is about the mental approach to putting in general. You're putting with binocular vision (better), swinging one arm instead of two (better) and swinging your arm the way God intended instead of across your body (better). Don't let your results on any given putt or day be a mental referendum on face on putting.

love everything said here.

In regards to 1. I used to have the issue with falling in love with the line. I would meticulously line up the stripe on the ball and if i wasn’t totally in love with the line after multiple adjustments it would result in poor distance control.

If you rely heavily on a stripe on your ball start experimenting without it. Especially on long putts. It will allow your body to adapt subconsciously to proper line and speed. I found a night and day difference when i removed the stripe.

For mega bonus points try to start putting while looking at the target the entire stroke. This will be especially effective if your miss is always short. I’m currently working on this for side saddle but had fully adopted it for conventional putting.

Yesterday I putted poorly for 6 holes then came right and putted well. I actually hit 4 bad putts (missed one from 2 feet) but hit 3 very good putts (2 for birdies).

the poor putting occurs when I twist the face just before contact and the ball goes either left or right of the intended path. I have setup a channel to practice keeping path and face on line. Time and practice is what I will need to sort this out. Also keeping lower hand high on the putter to use more a swing than a hit helped.

I don’t mind missing putts when I hit them down the chosen line. I can improve my green reading but it is not that bad. Most of my putts are missed by a failure to hit it on the intended line.

thanks for the help.

I also notice when I let the ball drift too far forward/back in my stance, I get push/pulling the putts more. Something else to keep in mind!

I feel the more forward in my stance (like 6" in front of my feet) I hit it more on my intended line. When it gets farther back in my stance (like even with my feet) I shorten my stroke and get more push/pulls.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22