Ball testing done! 2020 Tour B vs 2018 Tour B XS vs 2020 Tour B RXS

hammergolf

Just got home from a great day of ball testing. Perfect day to test, Nobody on the course, overcast, and windy. I had planned on Testing all of the 2020 Tour B line with the exception of the RX because I need more spin not less. However, when I got to the course I realized I had forgot to put the 2020 Tour B XS sleeve in my bag. I only had last years Tour B XS to test vs the other 2020 balls. So I will do some more testing either tomorrow evening or Wednesday with the 2020 models. I’ve been playing the previous version of Tour B XS and have really liked it. So I went into this thinking it would still be my fav. However there were two big surprises. About me, driver SS around 95, I’m a mid launch mid spin guy. I drive it pretty straight but like most guys looking for more distance. Irons I tend to have a mid trajectory with mid spin, and would like to launch it higher and get a little bit more spin. I’m pretty good at flighting it down if I need to so more spin doesn’t bother me. I want to be able to take on those back pins with more peak height and spin. Short game and inside 100 yds is the strength of my game. Generally I prefer a soft feeling ball, but not rubber bouncy ball like Chrome Soft etc. I also don’t like the click of harder feel of balls like TP5x etc.

THE TWO BIG SURPRISES

1) The 2020 RXS ball is WAY better then the previous version.

2) The 2020 Tour B X is AWESOME!

Since nobody was near me I was able to play all 3 balls on each hole. Here is what I found:

DRIVER:

The Tour B X was consistently longer. About 10yds on avg for me. It also launched higher and had a higher peak which I liked. It was hardly effected by cross, down or into wind shots. Big plus for me. On one of the holes, I caught it a bit in the neck and the other two we’re pretty solid drives. Got up there, and it was still 5yds past the other two.

The 2018 Tour B XS was what I’m used to obviously. Mid launch, a little more spin than ideal but I knew I was sacrificing a couple yards because it was so good off the irons and short game.

The 2020 Tour B RXS, had the lowest launch of all three balls, but didn’t have the rubber ball feel off the driver like the previous model had. It is MUCH longer than the 2018 model. In fact it was pretty much side by side with my 2018 Tour B XS. Was a little more effected by the wind, but nothing too bad.

The Tour B won big here off the driver.

FWY WOODS AND HYBRIDS

The Tour B once again was longer. The same as the driver, it launched higher and went further in all situations. VERY good in the wind again. On one of the par 5’s it was playing dead into a 20mph wind on the second shot. I hit all three balls pretty solid, but the low launch of the RXS I thought would be the longest. Nope, even with the Tour B launching considerably higher into wind it was still longer.

The Tour B XS was very good and felt great off the woods and hybrids and was very easy for me to control. Once again I am very comfortable with this ball.

The Tour B RXS was just as long as the 2018 Tour B XS. If feels really good coming off the woods and hybrids and feels like it’s compressing. Once again, HUGE improvement over the previous model.

The Tour B won here too.

IRONS:

Tour B launched higher and had a considerable higher peak than the other two balls. Once again hardly effected by winds. I was able to hit it about a half club farther than the other two balls. It did not have the hard and clicky feel and noise that other firmer balls I’ve tried. Had no issue with it stopping, but we have had some rain here the last couple of days so the greens were softer than usual. Hit several mid irons that hit and stopped within a couple feet of the pitch mark. Hit some short irons that hit and spun back even with the pitch mark. (Which I love, hate seeing short irons yank back).

Tour B XS once again is what I’m used to and why I switched to this this ball. Great feel, great spin, great consistency in wind.

The B RXS was the lowest launching of all three and also appeared to be spinning a little less. Distance wise it was the same as the XS which is a HUGE improvement with this ball. It was always almost one full club shorter on the previous models. Still had enough spin to stop, but for me I would be concerned having enough spin on firmer greens with its lower launch and spin. Once against had a softer feel but not the rubber ball feel of other lower compression balls.

WEDGES:

Tour B X felt slightly firmer than the others, but not near as firm as other X balls. Spin and control were great. If I had to guess it spins almost as much as last years XS on full shots. Easy to flight down when needed and plenty of spin. 75 yd shots hit, took one hop forward, then zipped back to just short of the pitchmark. Exactly what I want. 50yd shots basically hit, took a hop forward and then stopped right there. Short pitches and chips were very good. Hit a little 15yd open face spinner to short sided pin, took one hop, checked, and fell in the hole perfect speed. VERY impressed with this ball around the greens.

Tour B XS felt perfect off the wedges. As I’ve said before it’s the best ball I’ve ever played inside 100yds. Just perfect feel spin and performance.

Tour B RXS has much improved spin on short shots over the previous ball. On full shots feel is still good, but as you move to the short half shots and pitches this starts to give the rubber ball feel and seems to come off the clubface faster. I definitely had to adjust for a few yds longer carry inside 50yds. Chipping it definitely comes off hotter. Not saying good or bad just more than I like.

PUTTER

I thought the Tour B was going to feel to hard off the putter. But it doesn’t. Slightly firmer than the XS but not hard in any way.

The XS has the perfect feel I prefer off the putter. Soft but not rubber ball.

Tour B RXS has the rubber ball feel I do not like. If you like a VERY soft feeling ball off the putter you will love this.

DURABILITY

All three balls were great. Almost no marks or scuffs at all. Not sure how they did it but the reactiv cover is the real deal.

Im very surprised, but based on testing today I am leaning towards the Tour B. I didn’t think at my SS I would be able to get the most out of the ball due to its higher compression. My only concern is will my mid irons have enough spin to hold tight pins on firm greens. While it may not be quite as good as the Tour B inside 100yds it’s pretty damn close. With the extra yards off the driver, woods, and irons and more peak height I would be willing to sacrifice a little feel and spin on the mid irons. More testing to come.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Normally the firmer the ball the higher the launch. But once again it can be different for others.

I tried the previous model of the Tour B and it felt hard to me and did not have the short game spin I prefer. I’m going to test the previous model Tour B XS vs the new model tomorrow. I think the biggest difference in the new Tour B XS is a little longer and spins a little less off the driver. On the new Tour B it is definitely softer feeling and is much better in the short game. That being said, at £25 a dozen that’s a great price on a great ball. For me, the better feel, distance, and improved short game control make the new Tour B better than the previous versions of the B and the B XS.

Just an update. Was able to get out again and test the 2020 Tour BX vs the Tour B XS. While the new XS is a little better off the tee vs last years model it still can’t keep up with the X. Consistently 10yds longer off the driver. Iron launch is higher with the X and a couple yds longer carry with spin being very close. Inside 100 the new X is much better than last years ball. It feels softer and spins significantly more. Of course the XS spins a little more on the shorter shots but that’s to be expected. I LOVED the XS last year, but I will be switching to the new X. It’s just better for my game. My SS with the driver is around 95 but I hit the X further than the “recommended” softer balls. Moral of the story, go test and don’t rely on the marketing.

• Like 1