2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Thinking of new irons.... p750 or wait? (2005 TP CB Reference)

FormerBigDaddy

I have played the Taylormade 2005 TP CB’s since they came out. My current set looks nearly new. I love them... little offset, thin sole and top line, and especially how they feel. Also not a fan of jacked lofts. That being said I’m wondering how they fair against a newer forged CB. Got my eyes on a few p750 sets on the bay. I’ve hit them before and liked them but didn’t really test them long enough to know if they’re truly an upgrade over what I have. Obviously they fit the bill in terms of what I prefer in looks.

Also thinking there might be a replacement players cb on the way from TM... so I could wait but I’d be paying double what I would for the P750.

I want to shoot better scores... will a newer forged cb do that? Hard to move on from these tp cb’s.

I would wait or find something used on bst. Anything in the last 5 years would be better imo.

the badge on the p750 is flimsy and can fall off and will keep me from messing with that and p770

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

If you're an 18 I'd look at something more forgiving than the 750. They are made for ball strikers. If you want to stay in something that is that slim, look at the P760. They are less expensive and are drastically more forgiving in the long irons. The scoring irons are almost identical in feel and accuracy.

Well I'm a 5 trending down and the P760 is an awesome set. Just picked some up to test. Realistically the 770 or 760 are going to be a much better option for where you're at. The 750 is really aimed for tour players and plus caps up to low single digits. That said, play what makes you happy. FWIW, and I mean this kindly, I do recall seeing an instructional/swing analysis thread that you started a while back, and I really think that a slightly more forgiving club would be beneficial. The 750 are really made for a tour style swing. If you tend to flip etc higher spin irons that put a premium on ball striking aren't going to help. I also don't advocate for going something crazy SGI to mask flaws, particularly if you're someone that is putting in a ton of time to improve (which it sounds like you are). A simple and forgiving players cavity can be a great tool to help hone your swing with proper feedback. The 770 is PLENTY of club for a 13 HC and will offer a bit more help. It's still going to give you great feedback and feel soft but it won't be as erratic.

Here is a pro golfer struggling to hit the 750:

Was that a common issue? I only ask because I’ve had no issues with my set and have over 100 rounds on them. Hoping I’m just lucky haha

TaylorMade Qi10 LS- Ventus Red TR 7X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3W- GD DI 8TX

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 2HY- GD DI 105X

TaylorMade P770 3i MMT 125TX

TaylorMade P7MB- 4-PW MMT 125TX

TaylorMade MG4 54/60- MMT 125 TX

Phantom X 7.5/9.5

Thank you for the feedback and I certainly get where you are coming from. Aside from all the reasons why I like my current irons and the idea of the p750's, I just cant see myself getting into a set of irons with a 46 degree PW. One of the main reasons I like my 2005's is the perfect gapping in to my wedges with a 48* PW. I've played with my irons for 15 years... I just won't buy something that isnt as nice to look down at as my tp cb's. Yes, you're right... I've been working hard and I see myself as a single digit handicap sooner than later. Maybe I'll lose some strokes here or there playing a set designed for a better player.. but im sure you can respect that some of us get enjoyment out of playing clubs we find visually appealing. Thank you for your feedback... as far as the p750's do go, are they more forgiving than my irons? I know it's one degree, but can live with a 47* pw....

I feel you man. I spent the majority of the last 12 months playing and enjoying blades. I'm not sure what your speeds are like.. I do think that is a factor in whether or not you can be effective with irons like this. I'm around 95mph with a 6 iron. I also enjoy weaker irons, but a 46* PW is no biggie for me, I play a ton of partial shots with my wedges anyways so it really just means I get used to whatever I'm playing.

Here is the MPF for TM https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPF_TAYLORMADE.pdf - Important numbers are MOI (resistance to twisting), CDIM (measurement of sweet spot away from hosel - an extreme example of an awful CDIM is the P730 which you basically need to shank to pure), VCOG (if you don't have a good downward strike on the ball you should have this below .840 which I believe is the equator of the ball).

I don't think there will be a measurable improvement in forgiveness in all likelihood. The lofts are a tiny bit stronger so they may go a bit further but there won't be much in it from a miss hit perspective. Really the best thing to do is get fit. I was playing stiff shafts in my irons thinking that was fine until I got fit. Realized I was getting low spin due to too much draw shaft from my shafts being softer than they should be. Going stiff lowered my strike point, straightened my dispersion, and added spin for me. Also, don't rule out bending irons weak. Lots of positive especially if you are steeper as it increases the bounce and reduces offset.

Couldn’t tell you, and my issue happened around 100 rounds, a full competitive season with practice rounds and all. but with hundreds of other options that do not have flimsy useless nonsense on it, I’ll pass on the two that do. I love my 770s, but between the badge thing and the cavity with random amounts of glue in it, just decided I don’t like them as much as others

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

OP, get yourself a set of i210s. A 15 capper can play them and they are played on all the pro tours. Great looking, soft, and the perform. Get fit with the right shaft, you should be good to go?!

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

If you’re settling on staying in the TaylorMade family, I would echo earlier comments and focus on the p760s. Second choice would be p770s however keep in mind they are no longer in production so finding a mint set with the right shafts may be difficult.

On the TXG YouTube Channel, Ian Fraser mentioned something about TaylorMade having a new iron lineup that looked amazing. This was pre-Covid 19 so they may delay launching the club until next year. Who knows? Apparently, the new lineup is an improvement over the current p760s.

if you’re open to other OEMs, I would look at Srixon. Quality Endo forging with industry leading combo options (585,785, 985). I have a set of 585s and 785s and bent them weak. Best set of irons I’ve ever had. Had I not opted for Srixon, my 2nd choice would be the p760 lineup.

Completely get it! I recently switched to a Cobra flow set so the 750’s sit in the closet. Glad I never ran into that issue because it definitely would have put a sour taste in my mouth!

TaylorMade Qi10 LS- Ventus Red TR 7X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3W- GD DI 8TX

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 2HY- GD DI 105X

TaylorMade P770 3i MMT 125TX

TaylorMade P7MB- 4-PW MMT 125TX

TaylorMade MG4 54/60- MMT 125 TX

Phantom X 7.5/9.5

Pulled the trigger on the p750’s. Ended up getting 2 sets. One that was much more used for practice (I hate beating up gamers on my net and range mats) and one that looks mint condition. Sold a ton of old clubs sitting around and ending up not spending any money out of my pocket. Anyways...

Hit them yesterday and they feel VERY comparable to my old 2005 TP CB’s. I feel like they felt slightly less harsh on miss hits. Distance wise was close but hard to tell with range balls. I think the p750’s will end up about a half club longer. Biggest difference was in the long irons. You can definitely tell those 5 grams of tungsten help in that area. They don’t balloon but there is a noticeable difference even on miss hits with longer clubs. They get up easier and more forgiving than the 2005 TP CB. These feel like an updated version. Which is what I was after. Overall very similar and the p750’s are definitely not any harder to hit

750’s are slightly smaller but barely noticeable. Top line LOOKS thicker but could but just bc of the matte finish on it and bc it’s less rounded. I like the finish on the sole better bc it seems like they will stay cleaner looking for longer. The polished chrome on the 2005’s is really nice but they get dinged up pretty easily. Really like the grind on the face of the p750’s, probably bc it’s just different to look at than what I’ve had for 15 years.

Here’s a few side to side pictures since I couldn’t find any of these 2 models when I was looking.

184feaf0-4bb7-41a5-a752-b8f1a597bc69.jpeg

c96d723b-65e2-4a0f-84bf-6462da689d3a.jpeg

8e833ae8-1fd3-410e-9515-256bfb38fe7f.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...