Ping G Irons vs Ping I Irons

Brescia1016

I sold my G25 irons for i20s. The G25s are more forgiving, but I much prefer the i20s. The smaller head makes them much more playable and they look much better as well. They are more precise.

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

I have been playing the i20s since they came out. I'm a 6HC but I don't practice much. Prefer to play all I can. 40 plus rounds a year on average. I'm looking at the Gs now and the question I had was whether former i20-25 players had any trouble adjusting to the offset? I have played low offset irons so long that I'm concerned I may not like the Gs because of that. Any former i20-25 guys care to comment on this?

I have been playing the i20s since they came out. I'm a 6HC but I don't practice much. Prefer to play all I can. 40 plus rounds a year on average. I'm looking at the Gs now and the question I had was whether former i20-25 players had any trouble adjusting to the offset? I have played low offset irons so long that I'm concerned I may not like the Gs because of that. Any former i20-25 guys care to comment on this?

I have a set of i25's in my bag and a set of 2016 G's that I'm selling now. If offset bothers you then yes there is a good bit of difference in offset especially in the 4 and 5 iron. Short irons not that noticeable of a difference. If I remember I'll take a side by side pic tonight.

I wouldn't overlook the 2016 I e1 I think you will find that it offers some added forgiveness over the I20 but is not the drastic change that the G would impose.

I sold my G25 irons for i20s. The G25s are more forgiving, but I much prefer the i20s. The smaller head makes them much more playable and they look much better as well. They are more precise.
better out of rough also.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Agree. Much better out of rough.

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Agree. Much better out of rough.

I shot 75(4 over) yesterday using the g's hit 15 greens in reg. I played i20 and i25's and there is no difference in precision with the g's you knock flags down with these bad boys

Thanks for the feedback guys. I may look at the new ie1s or just stay with my i20s. I honestly have no complaints with them anyway. Unless I find something that's clearly better I won't switch. Was also interested in the Apex CF16s. Hit the demo 7 iron at my club last week and while it's a great club I thought it was more like my old AP2s but with stronger lofts. Seemed less forgiving to me than my i20s. I know it's being marketed as a GI iron but I don't see it.

Picked up the G irons 5 - lw with awt shafts earlier this year. Played one round so far with a lot of pulls to the right ( I'm a lefty). Went from Mizuno mp-52 to the G's, so the extra offset was a factor in shot direction. Had practice session today trying to straighten out the pull. I found that I had to place the ball about a half to one ball width forward compared to the mizuno's in order to get my baby draw shot back. Still lots of work in progress but feeling much better about direction and control. Overall, very happy with the G's. Money well spent. Fyi, picked up the 3, 4, & 5 crossover with the awt shafts. Can hit the 5 pretty decent, the 4 so-so and the 3 was erratic to say the least.

• 9 months later...

Bringing back an older thread to see if anyone is using a combo set of the G's and i's?

Was happy to see this thread pop up again. Started reading from start to finish to refresh my memory. Spring is coming soon in my area and golf season can't come quick enough. I have the new G's and the ie1's. The ie1's were my favourite set last year, had quite a few different sets and the ie1's are still here. But got the G's late in the season last year and they are a very forgiving set. Had a set of G25's a few years ago , shot my best round at one of the tougher courses in my area then proceeded to sell them the next week??? lol i only played a partial round at that course with the new G's but was having similar results to the G25's. More GIR. After reading this thread again i was thinking G and ie1 combo set. When i got to the last post [yours] i was all smiles. I have been very accurate with the 9 pw and U of the iE1's and the forgiveness of the 4-8 iron of the G's is impressive. Got to start off the new year with something forgiving after a long winter off. This sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks for bringing back this older thread.

I am a long time Ping Iron player... with exception of 6 months... nothing but Ping irons since 1993. With that being said, I am a +2 handicap, but I like to look at the offset in irons. We can all play players irons when we are swinging good, but I have always wanted an iron that when I am swinging bad I can still get around the course.

I have utilized Ping G2 irons forever and since the groove rule change have been searching for an iron that has offset but also workability. I have owned, G10's, G20s, G25s, and a set of I25s and none of them have lasted in my bag for more than two months before I invariably went back to the G2s. During the end of the 2015 season I finally found a set of irons that I liked... went combo with the GMax in the long irons (5 and 6) and the G30s in the short irons. The irons are amazing, but only like 2 months later they brought out the Gs. Let's just say I was not thrilled because the Gs look exactly like my G2s.

Waited a year and I have subsequently purchased a full set of G irons, 5 thru GW with AeroTech Steelfiber i95 shafts. They are the best irons I have found and the gaping between them is really good. They also go absurdly high and land really soft. Just have to be careful on shots out of the rough... fliers can be explosive.

I liked the i E1 from last year and still have the W and U in my bag, but went with the G irons from 6-9 iron. I prefer the look at address of the i E1s, but the Gs are just so ridiculously forgiving, it's hard to say no. I also get a better combination of distance and spin with the G than with the i E1. The i E1 never spun enough for me and I felt like I couldn't hold greens well with the mid-irons.

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

I am seriously considering a set of i200's in 5-PW and the G 4-iron. Being able to see the back of the flange on the 4 iron bugged me a little bit but quickly got over it looking at the results. I want to hit the i200's of grass before I pull the trigger.

Titleist TSi2 9 - Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TSi2 16.5 - Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSi2 21 - Ventus Red 8x
Titleist T200 / T100 - KBS Tour X

Vokey SM8 Raw 50F, 56D, 60M - s400
SC Newport 2 SS / Pro Platinum Mid-Slant

Video on this site with Rick Sheils and Peter (?) comparing 2017 clubs to date. Rick thought a GMax 4-5, 6-7 i200 and 8 - up iBlades as a combo set.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

I got the G's last summer and I just can't imagine a better set of irons for most mid handicappers. They are long, forgiving, and look very nice at address. I had some swings last year that I didn't think there was anyway the ball was going to make the green but they did. They are so good I'm playing them again this year which for me is pretty amazing.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Golf is a game of misses. The Gs will help more with your misses. The Gs maybe the better/best choice!? ;)

"Golf is a game of misses". So true. Played 18 with my ie1's Sunday and Had a quick range session today. Let me say, I love the i's in the 7-U. Smaller profile and a tighter dispersion. Really don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything is those irons vs. G's. However, the 4 and 5 irons are a work in progress. Having a tough time making consistent contact. Dispersion is still tighter, but misses are more pronounced. Need to keep working on it, but I'm strongly considering a combo set: perhaps 5-6 G, 7-U ie1. Seems like the best of both worlds.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

I am a long time Ping Iron player... with exception of 6 months... nothing but Ping irons since 1993. With that being said, I am a +2 handicap, but I like to look at the offset in irons. We can all play players irons when we are swinging good, but I have always wanted an iron that when I am swinging bad I can still get around the course.

I have utilized Ping G2 irons forever and since the groove rule change have been searching for an iron that has offset but also workability. I have owned, G10's, G20s, G25s, and a set of I25s and none of them have lasted in my bag for more than two months before I invariably went back to the G2s. During the end of the 2015 season I finally found a set of irons that I liked... went combo with the GMax in the long irons (5 and 6) and the G30s in the short irons. The irons are amazing, but only like 2 months later they brought out the Gs. Let's just say I was not thrilled because the Gs look exactly like my G2s.

Waited a year and I have subsequently purchased a full set of G irons, 5 thru GW with AeroTech Steelfiber i95 shafts. They are the best irons I have found and the gaping between them is really good. They also go absurdly high and land really soft. Just have to be careful on shots out of the rough... fliers can be explosive.

Always nice to read that a + handicapper is playing irons like the G's.

I can remember the day i first hit the G's in the store. They had a huge sale on everything in the store except pings. I must have tried 10 different sets, the G's were the clear winner that day. Walked out empty handed, but found a used set a month or so later. They are not the prettiest but like u said on the bad days the extra forgiveness is welcome. Being a constant club Ho it is hard to keep the G's in the bag even thou i should. Posts like yours help reassure that playing the G irons can be a good thing.

• 1 month later...

Golf is a game of misses. The Gs will help more with your misses. The Gs maybe the better/best choice!? ;)

"Golf is a game of misses". So true. Played 18 with my ie1's Sunday and Had a quick range session today. Let me say, I love the i's in the 7-U. Smaller profile and a tighter dispersion. Really don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything is those irons vs. G's. However, the 4 and 5 irons are a work in progress. Having a tough time making consistent contact. Dispersion is still tighter, but misses are more pronounced. Need to keep working on it, but I'm strongly considering a combo set: perhaps 5-6 G, 7-U ie1. Seems like the best of both worlds.

Funny you bring this up, I just pulled the trigger on this exact combo set off ebay yesterday..

I've been gaming the G30s for the third season this spring. Don't get me wrong, excellent sticks, and have played the best rounds of my life with them.. but since I've bought them, 2 things bothered me... minimally, but still bothered me. The offset is a little much, and I think I pull a few shots left with them due to the offset... and the very wide soles/high bounce make me uncomfortable on very tight lies. They work fine, it's just a confidence thing at address..

I was really looking at the i200s, as they LOOK awesome! I'm also looking to increase my trajectory a little so the Modus3 105 shaft option is intreguing to me.... then I learned the iE1 also had the modus3 option stock.. and read many players didn't think there was a huge difference between the iE1 and i200 so started to look at used iE1 sets...

Found a combo set just like this.. in my red dot spec, 5-6i in the G and 7-PW in the iE1, all in the Modus 3 105 shaft, and all swingweighted already to D2 which is great.. saves me some lead tape. Only downside is they are 1/4" over standard, but I think I can give it a shot and just choke a smidge, or they will work just great and maybe add a yard or two! win win! :)

I had a chance to try my G30 in CFS, and the i200 and iE1 with the modus 3 this past weekend before I pulled the trigger on ebay... I even got to try the G as well in the modus... was a great comparision..

Nothing was leaps and bounds better than the other for me in the launch monitor. But I did notice some interesting observations...

My G30 spun a little higher than the others, which suprised me. It also launched slightly lower than the others but I attribute to the CFS shaft.. launch was about 18* and peak height around 28yd

The i200 and iE1 were all VERY similar. Both gave me the most consistent distances of the bunch, felt AWESOME, and launched very similar even though the i200 lofts were a little weaker... around 20* launch and 29-30 peak heights

G went the longest but only by a yard or two max... also launched close to the i200 and iE1, not significantly higher at all.. but did hit a 21* and 31 peak hight once or twice with it, unlike the others...

I really gravitated back to the iE1 for feel as well as consistency. Seemed like every shot was exactly the same trajectory and distance with these.. maybe they just fit my swing right.. the i200 was a close second, but they did feel a smidge more "clicky" when struck well, and you could really feel the ball take off from the face... looks the i200 wins for me, but can't pass up the combo set I found.

Really looking forward to getting the G/iE1s this week and seeing if they eliminate the shortcomings off offset and sole width I have with my G30s... and see how they play off the turf...

Adding the G in the long irons is a great idea for me as I need the trajectory and forgiveness help I get in the long irons...

Ping G400 SF Tec 9* - Mitsubishi C6 Blue Shaft - Stiff @ 45.25"
Ping G 3w SFT @ 16* - Ping Alta CB - Stiff 
Ping G400 19* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 22* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 26* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Mizuno  919 Hot Metal Pro 6i-GW, Recoil 95 F3 
Mizuno S18 Wedges in 55* and 60*, Recoil F3
Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

• 3 months later...

Always nice to read that a + handicapper is playing irons like the G's.

I can remember the day i first hit the G's in the store. They had a huge sale on everything in the store except pings. I must have tried 10 different sets, the G's were the clear winner that day. Walked out empty handed, but found a used set a month or so later. They are not the prettiest but like u said on the bad days the extra forgiveness is welcome. Being a constant club Ho it is hard to keep the G's in the bag even thou i should. Posts like yours help reassure that playing the G irons can be a good thing.

Former mini tour player here. I am still using a combo set with 5 - W in the iE1 model and the 4 iron in the G model. I did a head to head test with the 4 irons in both models, custom built with identical specs (Length, Loft, Lie, Shaft) to each other and the G model won in the 4 iron slot. It was tough to beat the forgiveness and added height from the G iron at the long end of the bag. Although the G look was tough to see at first, I got used to it pretty quickly after seeing the ball flight results. I did the same test in the 5 iron custom built with same specs between G and iE1 models and the iE1 5 iron offered more control and trajectory options for my game, while not sacrificing a ton on forgiveness. The iE1 5 iron was obviously about 6 to 8 yards shorter than the identically spec'd G 5 iron, but that was actually good because it created a nice even yardage gap between my #3 Crossover, G 4 iron and iE1 5 iron.

After years of having a big ego and playing blades, I finally realized in early 2016 that you need to test and find the right individual club for each slot in your bag, no matter what it looks like. Like so many others who have made the switch to carrying four wedges, it caused me to get creative on the set makeup and gapping at long end of the bag. This combo set has cracked the code for my game.

Hope this helps dispel the myth about good players not being able to use SGI iron models, especially as a long iron.

• Like 1

I wouldn't overlook the 2016 I e1 I think you will find that it offers some added forgiveness over the I20 but is not the drastic change that the G would impose.

Longtime i5 player then I moved to G25 then G irons. Hit them all well bit could never quite get used to the turf interaction with the G's.

Switched to iE1's this year with Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 and absolutely love them. Plenty of forgiveness and rarely have the hot flyer shot that the G would give you when you flushed a shot.

IE1's seem to be very good for a toe miss which is my normal miss.

• 1 month later...

I have played G25 and iE1 over the past few years. The i's most recently have the Modus 105 stiff. I have played regular flex for 10 years but these Modus feel great in stiff with the ie1 club head. I actually like the long irons in the ie1. Go figure how a stiffer shaft in a smaller blade can be more pleasing to a mid handicap senior.

Titleist TS2 KuroKage
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 15*
Callaway Steelhead XR 5wd
Titleist 818h1 21*
Titleist 718 AP1 4-GW KBS C-taper lite
Titleist SM6 54* SW
Scotty Cameron Newport Fastback 2

• 2 years later...

I just pulled trigger on g irons 6 to pw without even trying them on eBay. Only played 1 round and don’t know how I feel.

I’m coming from Tommy Armour 845 Stripe irons. Seriously underrated, I have played them for about 18 years. I never played often enough to get very good or merit spending much on new clubs. Fell in love with my friends i25s but felt like G series was more suited to my game.

Picked up Ping G irons with modus 105 stiff shafts and I hit them well, but I miss the weight of the Tommy Armours (felt like the club head pulled me through my swing), and I also liked the feedback from my old irons. Most shots with Gs feel muted, whereas there was more feedback from my 845 Stripes.

Considering trying ie1s, with g series long irons if I can find them cheap. Will I get the feel and weight in clubhead I’m looking for?

Modus 105 shafts are a lot lighter than the shafts you are playing with now. That will completely change the feel if you like heavier clubs. The heads, ie1 vs. G series, is not causing the issue you mention.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"