2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Driving irons

jhave_1

Hybrids launch higher, spin more, and start to introduce the more pronounced gearing effect of woods on mishits. One or multiple of these may be undesirable for some, so the obvious choice is to continue into a longer, specialized iron. Plus many people have issues with the left miss in many hybrids.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I forget how much i was able to squeeze in but i'm about to build up another so I'll let you know

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Yes, I play cobra one length clubs, mostly anyway. However, before I bought the one length shaft to try in my utility,I bought a full length king utility 18 to 21 that was 38.75” with a C-Taper Lite R -Flex shaft for $125. I swear the club was never used. The one length shaft I bought after the fact off eBay to try and compared. The OL shaft is a Mamiya Recoil ES 780 F3, stiff I think. I have a SkyTrak launch monitor setup in my garage too and have hit and compared numbers with both shafts. The quality of my strike is touch more consistent with the OL shaft as you would expect but the 38.75” shaft was the ticket for me.

My 4i F7 OL I get about 175 to 182 pretty consistently. A perfect strike, I can get 195. With the OL shaft in the utility iron head there wasn’t much benefit for me compared to my 4i. My average driver swing speed is 87 to 92. However, with the 38.75” C-Taper shaft and loft set at 20.5, I can crank the driving iron out to 195 to 205 pretty consistently off the deck and hit it 215 at best. I took my Tayormade M3 3W out of the bag and threw it in the time out corner without looking back.

I love the King Utility Iron so much, I seen another head only deal on eBay that included a new tip adapter but was missing the tin foil logo badge off the back of the head for $50 and I snatched it up. If you find yourself needing a OL shaft, I’d sell the Recoil without looking back but have no interest in parting with the spare head.

I carry a hybrid and a driving iron... driving iron for low shots into the wind, hybrid for more forgiveness, higher ball flight and to hit into greens.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

My signature update was a little premature, because I bought the HMB 2 iron but it hasn't arrived yet, so I still have more testing to do. But I am currently so infatuated with my MP-20s that I'm leaning toward staying in that family. I still have the U500 4 and 3, which I really like, but I won't make a final decision about these and the HMB until I can do more testing.

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

One option that I haven't seen mentioned is the Tour Edge CBX iron-wood. I also have two Srixon Z-U45 driving irons (18/23) that I don't currently use, but are very good clubs. I had switched back to a 3 iron in place of the 23* DIhe 17 degree CBX has been in my bag since last year. I have the same shafts as in my irons for the two Srixon clubs, and the CBX has the stock HZRDUS black in it, and the combination of a little less loft and the shaft make it a little longer, and I find it is easier to keep down off the tee. The CBX is also a really nice-feeling club -- the ball really feels like it jumps off the face when you hit it solidly.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

OK, so I finally got to test the 2 HMB and to put it up against the U500, although it wasn't apples to apples because I only have the 3 iron (and 4) in the U500. Against the U500 3 iron (20 degrees loft), the HMB 2 (16 degrees loft) was delivering much lower ball flight -- low bullets -- which you would expect with the loft differences. With every measurable -- club head speed, ball speed, total distance, etc. -- the HMB beat the U500. If I had tested against the U500 2 iron, however, the results probably would have been comparable. I did feel, however, that I had a bit more control with the HMB 2 iron. As much as I love the U500, which I have touted all over GolfWRX, it did have a tendency for some leaky shots that could spray either left or right. I think this has more to do with the relatively light (graphite Hrzrdus) shaft. I have the Modus 120 in the 2 iron and it feels fantastic and just seems more in control (same shaft as my irons) without any major drop-off in speed.

In terms of looks, both are awesome. Maybe the two best on the market. No complaints about either, although the HMB does have more offset. Not my favorite, but it doesn't bother me with this club because I generally play a draw with a 2 iron. The U500 also has a subtly cut-out leading edge for better turf interaction, but I didn't do enough testing to be able to tell the difference.

Finally, regarding feel, it goes to the HMB. Mishits are less pleasant with the U500. Pure shots are great with both, but slightly better with the HMB.

Overall, you truly can't go wrong with either of these. I am a huge fan of U500. I'm only kicking them out because I want to maintain a bit more consistency with the other irons/shafts in my bag (see below). And I also, very slightly, prefer the HMB.

So a year ago I tried the TM UDI and was not a huge fan of it. I then decided to try out a Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 iron and love it, but I might move on from it soon and try out some of the newer stuff. Mostly looking at the Titleist U500 but I am open and going to test out a couple to see which one fits me best and if none can beat out the nike, then it looks like that one will stay in the bag.

Driver - Titleist Tsi2 10º w/ KBS TD 60 Cat 4

4W - Titleist 917F2 16.5º w/ Tour AD DI 7S

3h - Titleist Tsi2 18º w/ KBS Tour Ptototype 85 S+ 

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-P w/ Modus 120 X shafts

Wedges - Titleist SM8 50, 55, and 60

Putter - Cleveland Classic TA2 milled Long neck 

Ball - Prov1x

Thanks for the report! I agree with your subjective feedback about feel, especially on mishits. The U500/U510 are pretty jarring when you miss it, and I definitely don't care for the stock 90g HZRDUS shaft, which I think contributes to the harsh feel. If you're used to a 120g shaft then it makes perfect sense that a 30g drop in weight would lead to more erratic dispersion, especially given the difference in shaft profile as well. If you ever get the itch, shafting up a U500 2-iron with your Tour 120, ramming a 5/16" wooden dowel down the shaft for vibration dampening, and getting the head heavily hot melted (may need to shorten the club unless you like heavier weight) would likely take it to a whole different level. IMO that is the key to getting buttery feel out of these hollow irons. @J13 on here can hook you up with hotmelt if you ever want to try it out.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Another vote for the Srixon’s here. Love my U85 18 degree. Wilson FG Tour V4 utility is another underrated option, one of my favorites until the U85 knocked it out of the bag.

WITB:

Ping G430 LST 9* - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

Srixon ZX 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili Blue 70x

Callaway UW 19* - Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80X or

Srixon Zu85 20* - Fujikura Pro TS 95i X

Srixon ZX5/ZX7 MkII 4-PW - TT DG 120 x100

Cleveland RTX4 50* - TT DG 120 x100

Vokey SM9 56D, 60M - TT DG S400

Scotty Cameron Select Golo S

I agree about the Srixon. However I have to say I had to tinker with shafts to get it to really perform. It came stock with the Recoil. Didn’t care for it at all. Tried a few other shafts I had laying around and hit the jackpot with an old Black Tie. That turned it into an accurate low screamer off the tee and a very sweet 4wood performer off the deck. Been in the bag ever since.

Recently cracked the face of my Titleist 818 hybrid (21 deg) and given the wait time for replacements due to shops being closed I decided to build a Maltby TS-1 3iron (20 deg) with an X100 AMT shaft for $80 all in at the Golfworks. It supposedly has the same construction and tech as P790 and while I haven't compared them head to head I believe it. The club looks great, is easy to flight and is a rocket in terms of ball speed. When the hybrid does come back I'll most likely keep the 3iron in the bag anyway. Good option for anyone comfortable building their own clubs on the cheap!

For those of you who dropped a hybrid for a long iron/driving iron, did you use the same shaft as your irons? or a lighter weight/higher launching shaft? or graphite? I'm thinking of trying out a HMB 3 iron to replace my hybrid but would put in the Oban 100 shaft and not 115 to help with launch. Thoughts?

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue

Titleist TSi2 3W, 5W Ventus TR Blue

Callaway Apex CB 4-PW DG 120

Titleist Vokey SM9 50/55/60 Oban CT 115

Ping PLD Anser

He plays his fli hi with a regular r300.

It helps get the ball higher than the s300 and forces him not to swing too hard but smooth....It’s like a governor To his over swing that can occur on a distance shot.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I’m currently trying to figure this out myself.

I picked up a black Taylormade p790 3 iron. I play X100s in my irons. I picked up a Fujikara Pro 115 X to start with. Really struggled with consistency. I suspect because it’s too light. Just grabbed a black KBS C-Taper X to see if steel would bring some consistency with it. I would get X100s but I really wanted a black shaft. The black head/shaft combo really looks awesome.

U500 feels hotter to me, with lower fall flight. I like the cosmetics a lot better. The pre-worn leading edge is a nice feature. Feels a little better, although It's been some time since I have hit the TMBs. Between the two TMB models, I remember feeling like the 716 felt a little more solid -- more like a traditional iron -- but it spun quite a bit, whereas 718 felt a little more like what it was -- a hot-faced, hollow-bodied iron. The U500 also has a better stock shaft (the 716 I hit had a S300 steel and the 718 I owned had PX LZ, which I really hated). The U500 has much lower offset than the TMBs, so it looks much better at address to my eye.

Having said all that, I recently switched to the Mizuno HMB, for reasons noted earlier in this thread, but it's basically a tossup for me between the U500 and HMB. Both are superior to either of the TMBs, IMO.

I have just added the HMB 3 iron to go with the 4 iron I had. Bought it specifically for the tee shot on 17 at my home course. I went with the same shaft as in my irons for a consistent feel. Such a great long iron!

G430 Max 9* - Ventus Blue 
Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

U505 2i - Hzrdus Black rdx

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

T20 50*

Jaws Raw 54 & 59*
Versa 7
Tour B X

I've got 2 rounds in with the new Tour Edge Ti-Utility 21*. I have a 2019 UDI which I really like, but its a bit too long for what I want, and the flight is too low for me. Awesome for a low runner off the tee- just not the right fit for me if I need something off the deck, I always wanted it in a 20-21*, the regular P790 #3 just has too much offset. So far I've been quite happy with the Tour Edge. Same shaft, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 in both, obviously the 21* Ti-Utility launches a lot higher than the 17* Taylormade, the distance is spot on what I want for a driving iron, launches easily off the deck and is actually pretty forgiving, even if contact is a hair heavy. Its a lot easier for me to manipulate the flight up and down with the higher lofted club so the "stinger" is still there, but now its a club I can play off the fairway too.

IG: instagram.com/launchedgolf                                      

G430 LST Tour 2.0 Black 65X

TSR2+ HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.5                  
UW 19* MMT  (G430 19* Hybrid Kai'li 80X)
'24 Apex 23* MMT 105X

'24 Apex CB 5-11, DGX100

SM9 54/10M
Jaws Full Toe 58*

Ping Redwood Anser (the original Redwood)

On deck: Paradym Super Hybrid 21*, TSR3 24* hybrid, Apex CB 4-11, Apex MB 8-10, Apex Pro 4-6, Apex UT 23*, Apex UW 19*  Something has to fill the gap between that 8-iron and the driver