Is 8 degrees between PW and SW too much?

jonsnow

I'm probably overthinking this due to being cooped up too long, but I currently play PW @ 46, GW @ 50, SW @ 54 & LW @ 60. I very seldom hit my GW & I'm thinking about pulling it out of the bag. Right now 4-iron is my longest iron, then I go to a 19 degree hybrid that I like a lot. I've got a Ping i 200 3-iron that would play like a driving iron for me; I don't really have the swingspeed to play it effectively off the turf but it would be useful on short, tight holes off the tee in a way the hybrid isn't for me. But an 8 degree gap between PW & SW seems like a lot to me even though I seldom use my GW. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

In theory, yes.

In actual real world action, depends on how many types of shots you can hit with the PW.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

For years I played a 47 PW and a 56 SW. I had a big hole in my scoring irons range (115-105 yards) that I tried to avoid at all costs. It cost me many strokes over the years. I felt like that gap was way too big and eventually settled on 46, 51, 55 (I also play a 60 LW) as my preferred setup. No gaps and I can hit every yardage without any issue. I'm a much better wedge player now than I ever was back then, but that's not due to having more wedges, that's more about technique.

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

Agreed, but I play so little nowadays it's hard to say. I spend more time hitting balls at the driving range on weekends than playing & don't practice a lot of 3/4 PWs like I should. I guess I could pull the PW & GW, then replace with a 48 degree Vokey like my other wedges. That would narrow the gap & leave room for the 3-iron.

Or I could go to 52 degree & 58 degree wedges. Hmm, so many choices...

Don't concern yourself too much loft gaps. Concern yourself with distance gaps. How far do you hit each club? Can you ease off one or step on another and fill that gap?

I would say, it may be too much it might not be. It all depends on your game and your distances.

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

i've played with 52 to 60 gaps. It depends what type of shots you want to hit. I never chip with sand wedge and would rather hit a 3/4 shot with a 52 than a full with a 56.

So it all depends on your game

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

As others have said, depends on the gap of distance. I play a blueprint pitching wedge which is 46 and my next closest club is a 54 however I can hit a knockdown wedge somewhere between 120-150 and my 54 full is 117 so it's not that big of a gap. I find much more value in carrying a 5 wood and 3 iron to give me different trajectories off the tee and into certain greens.

TaylorMade QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

TaylorMade stealth plus 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Taylormade stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

For most people, yes, it's probably too big of a gap, but there are some people who really feel comfortable hitting feel shots with a PW and don't necessarily need a gap wedge. But it also sounds like that 3i might not be adding much for you if you're not able to use it off the turf effectively. If it's solely a tee club for at most 1-2 holes per round, what's the tradeoff on using the hybrid or 4i off the tee on those holes instead? If it's a tight hole the 4i is gonna be a safe play and is it a huge deal to get those extra 10-15 yards out of the 3i off the tee? If yes, then could you hit the hybrid instead and would you give up a ton of accuracy with the hybrid over the 3i?

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9º (at 8º) Accra TZ5 65 M5

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Ti 15º Accra TZ5 75 M5

3i/4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (4i 1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 4 (Mid Bounce) Modus 120X (50º/54º) & DG TI S400 (60º)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2 (33.75", 70º lie, 2.5º loft)

A lot depends on how often you have shots in that yardage range. For example, I replaced my 50 and 54 with a single 52 wedge because I hardly ever had a yardage that required my 50 (I would sometimes go weeks without ever hitting it). That said, my biggest gap is 6 degrees.

I thin it's doable as long as you have the discipline to be smart when you have a bad yardage. It can be tough to just aim for the fat of the green when you have a wedge in your hand.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Club designer Rallph Maltby (GolfWorks) long has suggested a player can skip the GW as long as the player has good touch with the PW.

I played two seasons with 48-54-60... 6-degree taps, and this winter dropped the 60 for a 58*. In my four-wedge days, for partial shots around the green I would use a PW or a GW most of the day... no particular reason why I chose one over the other.

The three-wedge setup is easier to manage, and I only have a couple of yardage gaps in my wedge matrix. One such gap is 9i-PW gap of 18 yards; I use a choke-down 9i or a delofted PW to cover the gap.

Some players select 46-52-58, another way to get 6-degree gaps. It depends if you like a 58* as a combo SW and LW.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I am just discovering the same issue. My older set, a set of Wilson FG Tour M3's has a GW of 51 degrees so I added a 56 SW. Now my new set, Epic irons has a GW of 49 degrees and I can tell that the face is a little hotter so my 7 degree gap is gonna cause issues around the 100 yard mark, give or take 10 yards probably.

Now I don't know if I should go 54 and 58 but I think I am gonna wait and see how many times I have the issue come up!

I've been doing the same sort of though experiments while golf is unavailable to me... I actually somewhat hate my 50 degree and have no confidence in it... It's an SM7 with an odd man out shaft from a previous experiment... I don't use it much around the greens, and use the PW for 120 and SW for 100... for 110, I'll hit the GW, but don't love it...

My thoughts on my situation: Take a flyer on a GW from the CMB set... Haven't looked, but sure I can find one... it's length and shaft will be out of place, as I ended up putting pull Project Xs in my current heads, and they are +1 long...

Explode my whole bag, go with Sub70 irons and wedges from 4-60 degree, but cash is king, and that's money I'm planning on buying a golf cart with...

Muddle through until I know I'm playing more than one round a month, and then figure out if it's ACTUALLY a problem, or if it's just I dumped my 50 degree in the sand on 9 like an idiot on the last round I played..

Sounds like it's time to start shopping for a GW head!.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

The stock specs on my MP-53s are almost identical to your set, and I bent my 9-iron to 43 and my pitching wedge to 48. (From there, I have Vokeys at 53 and 59 which are my default chipping and sand clubs, respectively.) If you did the same, the lofts on your four shortest clubs would be 43, 48, 54 and 60, which seems very manageable.

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (34)

I think it is but it's mostly because I use my 50 GW for most shots, chipping from 100yds in.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

To me it truly comes down to how comfortable you are with your PW and your 56. Can you go after your 56 hard and still be accurate? Can you lay off your PW to get to a GW yardage. I dropped my 3 iron that I never hit for a GW but played several years with PW, 56,60. Just go tired of trying to smash a 56 for a 115-125 shot.

Driver: TM Sim2 Max Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 7X

3W: TM M2 (2016) 3HL Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 8TX

DI: Srixon ZX 20* AD DI Hybrid 95X

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW TT X100

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 TT X100

Putter: SC Newport 2 Custom

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

47: 125

52: 115

56: 105

60: 95

Given my yardages I favor dropping my 56. When I want to stick a longer club in the bag, that's what seems to be the most appropriate. So my 8-degree gap is between my 52 and 60. I haven't committed to this full-time but it's far and away the most sensible based on how I play.

I do most all my short game work with my 60 and since there's only a 20-yd gap between the 52 and the 60 I find that it's totally manageable. For me, the 56 is the club that rarely gets pulled. I almost always feel better with the more powerful 52 for an approach or just stepping on a 60. And removing the 56 also makes sure that my two chipping clubs (52 & 60) are distinct and offer complementary options in terms of how they release.

I've thought about going with a single 54 in place of the 52 & 56 and I may ultimately do that but I've found that most 54's feel similar to 56's in that they're big and heavy. That creates a weird condition where the "SW" has a different feel from the rest of the set. Personally, I don't like that. That's another reason I favor the GW + LW approach, both feel similar while most SW's feel distinctly different despite what the specified swing-weight listings on internet pages might lead you to believe.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I dont think so. Im more of a believer that you should pick lofts based upon the distances that you need to hit from. If those lofts allow you to hit distances that you need to hit, then theyre fine for you. Im not a believer that you should have 4 degree gaps between your wedges because what good is a club that you never hit because you never find yourself in that distance range? For a time last year, I carried a 46 degree AW and a 56 degree as my only wedges and they worked just fine. Id sometimes have to make some adjustments if I found myself 90 yards off of the green because it would be too far for the 56, so I would just narrow my stance, grip down a bit and only swing the AW at about 75%.

I play 47/52/58.

Now if I got a more modern jacked set of irons with a 45-46 Pitching wedge assuming I'd saved a club (i.e. playing modern 5-PW vs old 4-PW) I'd probably play what you have 46/50/54/58.

But in reality I question how many full shots I would play with the extra wedges? In my current setup my 52 is good for 90m (100 yards) but if I need to hit it 70 I'm much more comfortable hitting a partial pitch shot with my 47 or 52 rather than a full swing with the 58. The extra wedges offer versatility around the green. The distance gapping for me is only relevant in the 4/5 iron to Gap wedge. If I had your setup the 50 would be important in terms of distance gapping and the 54 and 58 would offer versatility and options around the green.

YMMV of course.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

You have a 46° Attack wedge? Sheesh. I can still remember when the 52° 'Gap wedge' was introduced to fill the 8° gap between the 48° pitching wedge and 56° sand wedge.

Yeah, theyre Tommy Armour Atomics and theyre stupid strong. I think the PW is something like 41.5 degrees. The 4-iron is 19 degrees. LOL I only carry the 7-iron, 9-iron and AW. Really anything strong than the 7-iron and I cant hit the ball high enough anyways. Im thinking about buying a set of the new Tommy Armour 845s because they are a bit weaker. I love the Atomics but the lofts are so strong in them.

These irons are a perfect example of why with modern irons, you have to look past the number stamped on the bottom of the club and see what the actual loft is. Thats why I carry a driver, 5-wood, 21* hybrid, 7-iron, 9-iron, AW, 52*, 56* and putter. Its really quite silly to think that I can go from a 4H to a 7-iron and have what is technically 2 gap wedges. LOL

Yeah but I think his PW is about 49.5° which is a Gap Wedge in today's terms.

I have my PW at 46, then my two wedges are 54 and 58. More scope up the other end of the bag.

Depends on your game and the course you play.

What can you do with your PW, differing distances?

Do you use the PW in and around the greens to chip with?

Then, the ball you use..does it check hard?

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.