2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

True Temper's new "AMT" Dynamic Gold iron shafts

pga43

Anyone hit one in an Apex UT or UDI? I'm thinking of putting one in there.

Yes - really like it. If you are a DG player, it should work well. I have a 2-iron AMT Tour Issue X100 shaft in my 18* UDI and it works great. I believe the shaft weighs around 110g raw, good trajectory and the feel that I'm used to!

Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear. I was going to softstep an X100 into a UDI 4 so it'll play closer to my irons but still weigh less. So, do you get a higher trajectory with the AMT or similar to regular DG?

It was higher...although marginally.

Anyone hit one in an Apex UT or UDI? I'm thinking of putting one in there.

Yes - really like it. If you are a DG player, it should work well. I have a 2-iron AMT Tour Issue X100 shaft in my 18* UDI and it works great. I believe the shaft weighs around 110g raw, good trajectory and the feel that I'm used to!

Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear. I was going to softstep an X100 into a UDI 4 so it'll play closer to my irons but still weigh less. So, do you get a higher trajectory with the AMT or similar to regular DG?

It was higher...although marginally.

It's like you're in my head saying exactly what I want! ... wait, are you??? what do I want now?

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Have S400 TI's in my current irons. Getting a new set soon, and am very curious about the AMT's.

Unfortunately, TaylorMade isn't offering the AMT Tour Issues as part of their custom shop, so if I do go with them, it'll be the regular S300 AMT's. I've been reading around and the general conscientious is that a mid-handicapper like myself wouldn't be able to tell the difference between regular DG and DG TI's, yeah? If that's the case, I might give these AMT's a shot. I like the idea of the longer irons being a little lighter and easier to launch.

No one seemed to answer your question. The problem is that your current S400's play stiffer and are heavier than the AMT S300's. Do you play the 400's because of the weight or the flex? Maybe order the S300 AMT at no upcharge and see if they work for you. If they do not, then have the AMT S400's installed aftermarket. It will cost you a bit more, but if TM doesn't offer them, you have limited options.

On another note, I am really shocked they do no this offer them. Have you had your shop call them or are you just looking at the website? If your shop calls, the answer may please you.

Basically, I play them because they came installed on the set of irons I purchased off of eBay. Didn't think much of anything at the time. Just liked the irons (Tour Preferred MC's). Definitely noticed they were much heavier than my previous iron set, and it never bothered me at all.

I hit my 8-PW perfectly, 6 & 7 decent, and struggle with my 4 & 5 irons...which is why I was thinking the AMT's would be a good fit for me. Keep the longer irons a little lighter, and hopefully I'd be able to improve. I got fitted recently (don't like the suggestion I got), but on a trackman, my club head speed with my 6-iron & TI S400 shaft was 86.7mph. (My driver is around 97 or so). So the S400's might be a little too much of a shaft for me in the first place.

And I did some work for TaylorMade, and have a merchandise credit directly through a connection there. So unfortunately, I'm not ordering through a shop or anyone that would be able to get me the TI AMT's. I mean, I say "unfortunately" loosely, because I'm getting an entire bag for free. So I'll take whatever they offer really.

WIth that deal, I would take the AMT S300's that come stock and see how they work. You may be really happy with the flex, and I know you will be happy with the weight. Worst case is you have to pay for shafts, but I really do not think that will be necessary.

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM9 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

• 2 months later...
I build to MOI/MBI matched specs. Although there have been a few posts in this 16 page thread referencing MOI, I'm surprised that there isn't more excitement in the pro "MOI matching" community. It just so happens that before these shafts even came out, I had worked up a spreadsheet to find the "ideal" head and shaft weight specs to create an MOI and MBI matched iron set build. I found that the ideals are a 3g shaft weight increment and a 5.25g head weight increment. The standard deviation across the set for the MOI is 0.0 and for the MBI it's under 2.5. That's about as matched as it gets.

So if you're an MOI/MBI guy, then you should be excited about the AMT and hope that other manufacturers follow suit - and quickly!

I've posted this information in another thread, but I think it really belongs here (as I have not seen anyone post on the results of AMT for MOI/MBI matched iron builds).

I'm quoting myself to reignite this thread because I have acquired a set of DG Tour Issue AMT S400 shafts (finally) and have rebuilt my Mizuno MP-15 irons using them. As expected, the 3g shaft weight increment of the AMT shafts is probably the biggest improvement for MOI/MBI builds beyond the introduction of the Auditor Digital MOI measurement tool. These AMT shafts more easily attain an MBI match (MOI Balance Index) along with the MOI match without requiring any major head weight modification of Off-the-Shelf components (when using a 3/8" length increment in the build). Not only that, I was very surprised to see that my #4 iron came in at about a D2.00 swingweight while the Pitching Wedge came in at about D3.00 with all of the other irons falling in between in a smooth progression. This clearly must be a result of how True Temper has managed the balance point of the shafts across the set.

As has been stated in many places, most golfers cannot feel a difference in swingweight of 1 point. So I believe that what the AMT shafts have accomplished could be considered the "holy grail" of club building; a set of irons that are MOI-matched, MBI-matched, and closely swingweight matched. I have only hit the clubs in my hitting bay so far and they feel fantastic. I will report back after some range sessions and a couple rounds to see how this all plays out in the real world.

For golfers who may have been considering single length irons, but are "put off" by the loss of club head speed in the longer irons and/or the longer length of the short irons, I will say that an MOI build, using 3/8" length increments, along with these AMT shafts may be the alternative they are searching for. I honestly feel like I am putting the same swing on every club in this set (note that I also adjusted the lie angles to 1* increments to maintain an almost constant WTF at impact measurement).

I believe that this iron set reduces enough of the typical variables across an iron set, that going single length to achieve those goals may no longer be necessary. I know some may view this as a "bold statement", but only time will tell if this will completely pan out.

I hope that other manufacturers will sit up and take notice of the success of the AMT and produce similarly aggressive ascending weight shaft sets to give golfer's more choice for this type of shaft set.

• 3 weeks later...

Great shafts, just put a set of S400 in my Srixon 765's with sensicore inserts. Feel amazing. Long irons are nice and high. I just saw Dufner has them in his irons.

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone put these just in a 3 iron and then regular DG in rest of the set? Kicking around the idea of going AMT 3 and than standard 4-P

Think that would be a good plan or AMT could be a nice ironlike or driving iron shaft.

That's what I'm thinking, put it into a 3 T-MB

just wondering if anybody ended up doing this or had any feedback on it because i'm thinking of doing the same

plain DG x100 in 5-P but thinking about doing AMT in a 3 & 4 t-mb

• 3 months later...

Reviving an old topic because I'm on the verge of buying the 718 AP2s. Ball striking has been the strength of my game for a while and I've happily used the s300 DG shafts for 7 years in the AP2 710s. Two years ago I went from a stiff to an xstiff shaft in my driver and saw a noticable improvement in my dispersion.

I tested an x100 and an x100 7iron 718 vs my current 710 s300 setup and the dispersion was definitely tighter so I'm sold on getting the xshaft but I'm still unsure about getting the AMT due to my long irons.

I use my 3 iron quite a bit off the tee because I can hit it about 235-250 (full disclosure theyre +1 inch because I'm 6'4) and flight it when needed, I'm wondering if any one has had any issues losing the ability to flight long irons due to the lighter shaft contributing to higher spin and launch conditions of the AMT? Or will the fact that I'm going from an s300 to x100 offset those concerns?

Reviving an old topic because I'm on the verge of buying the 718 AP2s. Ball striking has been the strength of my game for a while and I've happily used the s300 DG shafts for 7 years in the AP2 710s. Two years ago I went from a stiff to an xstiff shaft in my driver and saw a noticable improvement in my dispersion.

I tested an x100 and an x100 7iron 718 vs my current 710 s300 setup and the dispersion was definitely tighter so I'm sold on getting the xshaft but I'm still unsure about getting the AMT due to my long irons.

I use my 3 iron quite a bit off the tee because I can hit it about 235-250 (full disclosure theyre +1 inch because I'm 6'4) and flight it when needed, I'm wondering if any one has had any issues losing the ability to flight long irons due to the lighter shaft contributing to higher spin and launch conditions of the AMT? Or will the fact that I'm going from an s300 to x100 offset those concerns?

Doesn’t change the ability to flight shots at all

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

Since this was revived.

I'm considering the AMT Re in the 718 AP1. The demo was great. I didn't have a LM but I was getting about 10 more yards and a higher flight than my Modus3 105 in my Srixon 565 7 iron. Really liked the feel.

Would be interested in any thoughts others have on long term use of the AMT Red and thoughts on it versus the Modus 105.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I play standard X100's and have no problem with the long irons, but a lot of used iron sets have X100 AMT's. Obviously, I won't know for sure whether they'll be acceptable until I buy a set to try, but is the feel different enough that I should ignore them and stick to standard X100?

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

• 3 months later...

anyone put them on a launch monitor and notice any spin difference, amts300 compared to reg s300

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

Best shaft I have ever gamed.

Driver: Ping G410 LST 8.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Whiteboard 60X
3w: Ping G400 Tour XStiff
Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
2i: Mizuno MP-20 Steelfiber
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-20 AMT X100
50*, 55*, 60*: Mizuno T20 TT Dynamic Gold Tour S400
Putter: Toulon Design Stroke Lab Le Mans

• 2 weeks later...

anyone put them on a launch monitor and notice any spin difference, amts300 compared to reg s300

Curious if anyone has tested the AMT side by side with standard DG?

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM9 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

I switched to amts purely for an moi build. I had no trouble getting distance and height in my long irons, but I was intrigued by the science behind moi builds and amt shafts help keep a consistent balance point.

Long story short, you may need to add weight to heads, to me the benefit was the lightness of the shaft allows you to add more weight to the head end of the shaft and have a similar feel across the set. To me the ability to rebalance the weight in the long irons rather than having less weight was key.

VPR Strike Driver, MRC Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
VPR Strike 3 Wood, MRC Tensei CK Pro White 80TX
2011 VR Pro Combo 3-PW, DG AMT X100
Vokey SM7 52F 58K 62M
2012 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Nike RZN Black

1/4 ext and swingweights are perfect d3

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

• 6 months later...

Considering that you play Tour Issue X-100, I would say that there is a less than 1% chance that AMT would help you. The boys on Tour get to hit everything and 85% of them play your shaft.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Considering that you play Tour Issue X-100, I would say that there is a less than 1% chance that AMT would help you. The boys on Tour get to hit everything and 85% of them play your shaft.

Cheers!

Agreed! A little more launch and spin will probably not make a massive difference. Maybe the TI DG120 X100 would be a better choice.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

• 5 months later...

Anybody compare AMT S300 to KBS tour? Any noticeable difference in peak height/spin? Like the numbers I get from KBS but prefer feel and visual ball flight from DG. Play S300 in my MP32 and have no problem stopping them on greens but launch monitor shows lowish flight for me.

• 1 year later...