"Made for" vs. After Market Shaft

redhead

Taylormade did have a few proprietary shafts in their TP lineup, and not all that long ago. I suppose it would have been around 07 or 08 that they had the TP REAX Rombax shaft that was essentially a slightly more user friendly Rombax W and they also had the Diamana Whiteboard 65 in the Tour Burner.

As for more and more companies using actual aftermarket shafts in their clubs, this is happening more and more, but you also notice a slight increase in price because of it. Rather than being $379-$399, drivers are now $429-$449. And if we take a look, irons haven't taken the same kind of sudden leap in price. The Ping G and i series irons have held steady at a certain price point for a number of years, Titleist AP irons have held at their price point for a number of years as have their CB and MB irons. Same for Mizzy and Taylor. Just an observation.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1426186833' post='11130037']
Interesting. Its very possible I misunderstood what the fitter was telling me. The second paragraph is actually exactly what he told me. So it's very possible I misunderstood the overall message.
[/quote]

Maybe, but It's also possible you didn't. Many folks (even those with lots of experience in the business) still mistake high cost for tighter tolerance. We are lucky here to have Tom share his knowledge and experience as very few (outside the manufacturers themselves) have taken the same amount of time/effort/cost to really study what those tolerances really are and share those results here.

• Like 1

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1426190777' post='11130519']
Interesting. Its very possible I misunderstood what the fitter was telling me. The second paragraph is actually exactly what he told me. So it's very possible I misunderstood the overall message.
[/quote]

Maybe, but It's also possible you didn't. Many folks (even those with lots of experience in the business) mistake high cost for tighter tolerance. We are lucky here to have Tom share his knowledge and experience as very few (outside the manufacturers themselves) have taken the same amount of time/effort/cost to really study what those tolerances really are and share those results here.
[/quote]

It is good that Tom Wishon participates on internet forums, but remember that he is also a businessman working to sell his products. Like most all businessmen, his commentary and opinions may be biased in favor of the products (and philosophical concepts) which he is trying to sell.

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

Stock shafts have always played way softer than their aftermarket counterparts from my experience. I have hearrd that in the old days the stock shafts were very cheap and nasty but I think that has changed. I generally swap stock shafts out when I buy drivers. My current driver has the original shaft, but it is actually an aftermarket shaft that came stock.

[quote name='redhead' timestamp='1426168940' post='11127881']
Just curious, is there any significant difference between, let's say, Diamana made for Titleist, vs. Diamana without the "made for"; or 757 Speeder for Taylormade vs. 757 you bought aftermarket.
[/quote]

200-300 bucks?:)

Seriously someone out there needs to buy a made for and real shaft and bang out some balls on trackman. I am guessing no one really wants to see those numbers.

The difference now vs before is that the shaft manufacturers are offering "made for shafts" as aftermarket and they're all getting similar graphics. You think all of a sudden OEMs put $300+ shafts into their clubs for hardly, if any, change in price? My own speculation of course.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

[quote name='mwink822' timestamp='1426188926' post='11130291']
Taylormade did have a few proprietary shafts in their TP lineup, and not all that long ago. I suppose it would have been around 07 or 08 that they had the TP REAX Rombax shaft that was essentially a slightly more user friendly Rombax W and they also had the [b]Diamana Whiteboard 65 in the Tour Burner. [/b]

As for more and more companies using actual aftermarket shafts in their clubs, this is happening more and more, but you also notice a slight increase in price because of it. Rather than being $379-$399, drivers are now $429-$449. And if we take a look, irons haven't taken the same kind of sudden leap in price. The Ping G and i series irons have held steady at a certain price point for a number of years, Titleist AP irons have held at their price point for a number of years as have their CB and MB irons. Same for Mizzy and Taylor. Just an observation.
[/quote]

That was the biggest POS I've ever hit. Going from a 'real' Whiteboard to that thing...what an insult.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='square' timestamp='1426194124' post='11130849']
[/quote]

Maybe, but It's also possible you didn't. Many folks (even those with lots of experience in the business) mistake high cost for tighter tolerance. We are lucky here to have Tom share his knowledge and experience as very few (outside the manufacturers themselves) have taken the same amount of time/effort/cost to really study what those tolerances really are and share those results here.
[/quote]

It is good that Tom Wishon participates on internet forums, but remember that he is also a businessman working to sell his products. Like most all businessmen, his commentary and opinions may be biased in favor of the products (and philosophical concepts) which he is trying to sell.
[/quote]

If you want to be skeptical then I doubt there is anything I can say to change your mind but in all the reading I've done here (including his articles as well as posts), I've haven't seen even the slightest hint that Tom's motives are anything but an attempt to help others and expand peoples knowledge and understanding of the subject matter. And no, I'm not very trusting by nature. In fact, if you look closely, it's pretty clear he goes out of his way to avoid particular references to his own products and only responds with info about them when explicitly asked about them. In the particular post I was referencing, he wouldn't even name the specific models from other shaft manufacturers where he had seen the higher (or lower) variations to avoid creating any bias. I may not agree with everything he says or all his conclusions, but the doubt doesn't come from any question or concern about his motives.

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1426248690' post='11134651']
[quote name='square' timestamp='1426194124' post='11130849']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you want to be skeptical then I doubt there is anything I can say to change your mind but in all the reading I've done here (including his articles as well as posts), I've haven't seen even the slightest hint that Tom's motives are anything but an attempt to help others and expand peoples knowledge and understanding of the subject matter. And no, I'm not very trusting by nature. In fact, if you look closely, it's pretty clear he goes out of his way to avoid particular references to his own products and only responds with info about them when explicitly asked about them. In the particular post I was referencing, he wouldn't even name the specific models from other shaft manufacturers where he had seen the higher (or lower) variations to avoid creating any bias. I may not agree with everything he says or all his conclusions, but the doubt doesn't come from any question or concern about his motives.
[/quote]

I never wrote that he directly pushes his own products. I wrote that his equipment opinions always support his product line..For example, , he sells moderately priced shafts so in discussions about expensive highly advertised branded shafts he typically will report that his findings are inconclusive towards any performance gains. And regarding the common topic of driver head size, his reports support the head size which his own line offers.
Someone looking for an endorsement of expensive hot rod aftermarket shafts would get that from either the shaft's manufacturer or from one of its authorized dealer club repair shops. For example, in this thread a particpant reported his "fitter" had told him that an expsnive shaft may have a small benefit. He planted the seed.. The customer did not buy, but since the thought was planted he may buy at a future date.

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

My response was specifically addressing his motives and intent so it should be clear that I completely disagree with your assesement of what you think his motives are. The fact that you have not presented any actual evidence or data to back up the claim makes it unconvincing in my mind.

And I did say I doubted it would change your mind.

Only difference I have noticed is the torque is different and the flex can be off. I had two Callaways I had to swtich out shafts because they were measuring below their listed flex.

They did right by me and let me get an upgraded shaft for free.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I think there is another difference in "real" versus "made for", if my one shaft OEM situation is normal. Bought a pulled Matrix Red Tie [ with .1 at the end]. Was having great issues with the consistentcy. Fitter pulled and found it to be out of round using a frequency machine.

Now the difference. Called Matrix and they wouldn't touch it. Said to go back to the club OEM and not their issue. When I pushed back that it was their name on the shaft, was told "we give them exactly what they want" end of the conversation and I mean it was really the end, like they hung up.

[quote name='jrr' timestamp='1426254871' post='11135159']
I think there is another difference in "real" versus "made for", if my one shaft OEM situation is normal. Bought a pulled Matrix Red Tie [ with .1 at the end]. Was having great issues with the consistentcy. Fitter pulled and found it to be out of round using a frequency machine.

Now the difference. Called Matrix and they wouldn't touch it. Said to go back to the club OEM and not their issue. When I pushed back that it was their name on the shaft, was told "we give them exactly what they want" end of the conversation and I mean it was really the end, like they hung up.
[/quote]

I have no doubt Matrix gives them 'exactly what they want' but I'd have a hard time believing anyone would request a shaft being oblong. Unless you're sporting a Hammer driver with the shaft that 'cuts through the air like a sword!!!'

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

made for shafts are quite often every bit as good (high quality) as their aftermarket counterparts. what typically happens is that the made for shaft plays soft to flex to satisfy the male ego who can proclaim they play stiff shafts (when they are actually playing a softer shaft). they also may have the shaft tweaked to perform best w. a particular head it will be fitted with

there is no reason why an OEM would use an inferior shaft.....what major manufacturer would market a driver w. a non performing shaft? the answer is they wouldnt.

manufacturing a golf shaft is a very simple inexpensive process these days w. so many shafts made in china. charging what they charge for some high end shafts is just taking advantage of suckers IMO. it's HUGE profit margins

there is (of course) always the occasional exception. like if someone just cant find a made for shaft which plays stout enough because their batspeed is so high. but often/sometimes these players cant control their batspeed anyway

j33 460 9.5 ACCRA DyMatch 2.0 MT M4
Exotics cb1 13 Matrix Ozik
Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
j38cb's - 3-pw s300sl pro soft & j36pc GAT 95
j40 52,56 & Odyssey Metal-X #7H
average score = 75

• 5 years later...

Im here because i just bought a set of honma Tw 747p irons and it has nippon 950 gh shafts stock in them which seemed fine to me. I read the shaft more closely the other day and bamm... made for. First shaft i have noticed out of any clubs i have had to say that. That being said... its playing just fine for me from what i can see. The club is doing what im asking of it to the ball and if i have had any other shafts before without realising it i never noticed it. I guess its not really that big of a deal is what im saying. If im a pro i might be pretty pissed but im not and its just fine lol.

You really can’t make a blanket statement as it really depends on the specific model. Ex: Titleist NSPro 970 was similar to the 950 but Titleist requested a stiffer tip which resulted in a few grams more static weight and a slightly lower balanced point, so in this case the made for version was actually stiffer than the aftermarket.

Also, steel is much less variable from a design perspective (also produced in the same facility as the aftermarket versions) compared to composites which is more of what this thread was focused on.

• Like 1

Uhhh...are you saying this because there's a logo that says "S FOR SHAFT"

That doesnt mean its a made for shaft, that just means is certified to be made in Japan.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I had a feeling you were going on about nothing....

There's no such thing as a 'made for' Gh series shaft with a '5' in the weight class nomenclature.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS