Benefits of joining a club?

Fully private club membership benefits are different from my two semi-private upscale club memberships. Both semi-private clubs are set up for members to play in time blocks and maybe some member events and allow me to get tee times in-advance of the public, and at one course, a separate locker room. The ladder semi membership clubs have various membership categories as does a private club and some of them allow private golf cart ownership for golf community residents. I would never pay a high initiation fee for semi-pvt club. There's a club not to far from us that is public, high green fees and offers a membership that costs 8k a year. All it turns out to be is no green fees on the day of play as its billed monthly, but each person still pays cart fee and can't own a cart. When I play there I just pay $140-$160pp and don't play there often, as I don't see the value, not even in the membership.

I prefer private club and a residence on a fairway or green for family and social reasons, plus a club that is culturally focused on a high level of golf, tournaments and family oriented. One minor nicity is both my last two private clubs kept my preferred Single Malt behind the bar with no worries it will be consumed by other members. A private club with a good culture becomes more of a second home and relationships develop that can be lifelong. Never felt that way at either of the semi-pvt courses as members come and go often. Another consideration is most private clubs put a monthly limit on the number of friends each member can bring to play; that alone becomes a problem for many people that are not joiners. They want to bring their buddies and show off the club but are limited.

One of my semi-pvt memberships has members playing in time blocks each day, which is nice while regular outside play fills the field around those time blocks. Unfortunately, semi-pvt clubs attract slobs that don't take care of the course or much else, and leave trash on the grounds, especially in the parking lots. Golfers at the semi-pvt clubs will wiz anywhere they are inclined, members at pvt clubs tend not to do that because of consequences for member and guest bad behavior. It comes down to what a person wants in a club, what they can afford but also what type club easily factors into their life without putting financial strain on them when there's an economic downturn. Can't just walk away from financial responsibility at most private clubs either like many quickly do at semi-pvt courses.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Lots of clubs have a program like this but the commitment is usually a year for higher end clubs. I can tell you that I have never joined a club with a 5+ figure initiation where you didn't need to play with multiple members before joining though. The club should be just as committed as the perspective member to making sure the fight is correct. If they aren't, don't join.

I don't even know of a place that will let you keep paying before the jump to full. Every place I belonged to before I was 40 required you to pay the remainder of the initiation fee or quit. There was no provision to just pay higher dues. And, honestly, there's a 0.0% chance I'd ever join a club again with a refundable portion of the initiation. It took me 13 years to get back a $40K initiation fee that was refundable and I was lucky because I resigned before the 2008 crisis (corporate relo so no choice). It was 2 in, 1 out. That club moved to a different model that is now like $25k. I would definitely rather have had that $15k for 13 years instead of waiting to get paid back. From that point forward every club I've joined has been "if you leave you get nothing." I'm good with that. Simplifies decision making.

This is likely old news, but joining a club requires some analysis. First, amortize the initiation fee over the predicted number of rounds over whatever how many years you plan to be a member. Then, is there an equity share? Then there's the exit cost should you move or want to quit.

After that, obviously the monthly dues drive the recurring cost per round. If you plan to play 4X per month and the dues are $800, that's pretty steep. Then there's either a flat-rate trail fee or discrete cart rental fee. Some clubs charge $16-$18/round for a cart, no matter if you ride alone or with someone. Then there's the ability to play at other "affiliate clubs" vs. playing the same course over and over.

If people made decisions to join private clubs based on cost per round, there would be no private clubs. The math never looks good in that regard. Other factors (social opportunities, convenience, facilities, service, member camaraderie, etc.) are where a private club creates value for its members.

At my club, we have impeccable course conditions year round, including fast, perfect greens, and we have a couple of great groups of guys and regular money games five days per week. But you can also get out and walk 9 pretty much anytime you want and our practice facilities are very good. Additionally, the food, as well as the service across the board, where I am now is better than any club I've belonged to. For me, that's where the value comes from, not what it costs me per round.

Most clubs in my area will allow you a courtesy round of golf in addition to a tour of the facilities. If that's not enough see if you know any members and can play as a guest a few times. Most private clubs in my area aren't really interested in letting people sample the club for a month. Clubs are private for a reason.

My wife and I joined a private club almost 2 years ago now. If joining a private club I personally wouldn’t try to see if it makes sense financially cause I don’t think you’ll ever “get your monies” worth. I don’t think you’ll have a good experience with the club either. My wife and I look at it like it’s our cabin. It’s our little escape from reality to relax and unwind.

reasons we joined

The course. We live in a smaller market we have two private clubs. The course conditions are much better than the public courses in the area. Plus it’s a Tillinghast design that was opened in 1916. So the history behind the club is neat to me. It also underwent a restoration last summer so it will be very nice. pace of play and course etiquette. I got sick of 5 hour rounds on the weekends. Tired of people playing loud music. Hitting into you without yelling fore. Simple things but can grow tiresome lolthe restaurant/bar in the club is definitely the best restaurant in town. We like to have a night out there weekly (when it’s open). Looking forward to it opening back up. access to the practice facility. Our club has the best practice facility in the area and we have unlimited use of it. We have trackman simulators that we have access too. The lessons with track man are great to be able to get numbers outside hitting off of grass. the staff is great the level of service and the way the staff treat you is nice to experience. Was weird to me at first. I consider myself pretty blue collar and wasn’t used to it. it has a pool and fitness facility we get a discount on clubs and merchandise. all within the last few years the clubhouse was remodeled ( added fitness facility, remodeled bar/interior extended the exterior patio and made it much larger), updated the pool, re paved the parking lot, redid the practice facility. performed a course restoration restoring to the original tillinghast design ( Tom doaks renaissance golf design was consulting on the restoration). Big things were happening and it seemed like a good time to join our club.

• Like 2

@Klap0001 Brings up a valid point about holding a full private club membership. Regardless of how much you pay, you won't get your monies worth; golf and club social value are not quantifiable.
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Old American s a great course but tough. I played there there other day and had no problem getting a tee time. (expensive so should keep the "Public" hackers away. The tribute is more of a gimmicky course and prices are cheap.

I live on the other side of town but I hear normal traffic in out of there is a nightmare. You could definitely do worse. There is some discussion about this membership on the DFW forum as well.

You completely miss the point of private clubs it sounds like. It is not some discount club situation. You can typically play other private courses for a fee and a call from your pro, but one of the points is to limit outside rounds and over play of the facility. With a private you should generally be able to play with groups of members and know who and what type of people will be on the course for pace of play, decorum, and taking care of the course.

Nor can you replicate the benefits for less...... so IMO you get what you pay for. The highest ranked club isn't always the better match, nor is the cheapest. It is like a menu at a restaurant, some people will order based on what they like and their tastes. In the end it is a choice for you and your family, so consider your priorities and you will be happy.

I am a member of three clubs and close to my fourth. I would say at least 1/2 of the members at my private clubs are members or at least 1 other private club.

• Like 1

OK, the Old American and the Tribute. Old American is fairly new, always targeted to go full private as I understood it, but started out public (fairly expensive green fees - $125-150) until they could attract enough members, and apparently now combined with the Tribute practically next door they are making the move to semi-private. The LPGA has played at Old American, the course generally gets good reviews and is fairly tough. Of course the Tribute is a lot like Tour 18 only the holes are replicas of holes at various courses used in The Open. I've played the Tribute and it's OK; I've never played Old American but suspect that it would always be in pretty good shape.

If the initiation and monthly/annual costs are within your budget I'd say go for it. My only concern would be if they are eventually planning to go fully private and what that would mean to existing members and the dues structure. If you were to consider it too expensive are there any options for return of your initiation?

Semi-private would be less crowded, better maintained, offer better facilities for practice, tee times far more accessible for members, higher green fees for non-members than typically found at a "public" courses, better options and facilities for dining or other family activities (e.g. pool, work out area, etc).

MxBuck asked me how I would differentiate between a public and a semi-private course. What anyone's reasons might be for selecting one type over another and what factors into that decision will vary with the individual. When I was a member of private country clubs over the years, all with some great amenities, I, too, was only there for the golf even having a family.

IME difference between public and semi-private is (I hold 3 semi-memberships) they are more costly daily-fee courses where members pay an annul fee plus lower green fees, allow members to book TT's further out and one of mine provides member private locker rooms and all 3 provide discounted pro-shop prices. This weekend my buddies played with me at one of my semi-private courses. We only saw one other group during the round and one guy on the range, which was only opened to members. Course was in immaculate shape too.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

RE: difference between public and semi-private

I was a member at a semi-private for 3 years before my wife and I joined our current club, which is fully private. At the semi-private you had "members" who were basically buying a season pass. But the public could also play our course as well.

Difference was, the members were afforded some benefits that the public couldn't get. We had earlier access to make tee times. We could play in member tournaments and leagues. But beyond that, there wasn't much else of a difference.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I belong to what would be considered a semi-private course. You can pay monthly but I prefer to take advantage of a discount by paying for the year up front. In addition to being able to make tee times 7 days in advance vs 5 for the general public, we get 1/2 off draft beers and fountain drinks, 40% off prepared food and I believe it is a 17% discount on soft goods in the pro shop. Included is a cart with GPS, unlimited golf weekdays, free range balls and access to the practice areas 7 days per week.

40% off prepared food? I think we only got 10% off. That's a good deal.

And your post reminds me that I forgot to mention that small benefit. And yeah, we got unlimited range balls as well. Problem was that course got so wet that the range was closed down a lot. The drainage was awful. At my current course, the drainage is fantastic. It can downpour for an hour, and the course is in reasonably playable shape less than an hour later.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

That’s too bad Imp. That’s where the pro and staff are so vitaly important. They should be able to get you into a few groups to play with and see if you find one that works out. We had a pro who was extremely good at this. Because of one time he got me included into a group, and how it branched our from there, it probably added 20 people to my playing group. Including some people who became very good friends.

I’ve been a member at a semi-private course for 4 years. It was substantially less expensive than a comparable private course, and had many of the attributes/benefits others have listed above. It is a great challenging course, phenomenal views, and a covered heated range in the winter and the alternate end was grass for the summer.

However, being public it was also very popular for corporate events and charities, so became harder to get tee times and some days were totally blocked out at the range and course. These events also left the course in “fatigued” conditions by mid summer

So next month I’m on to a private course, for better availability and conditions, although this summer there may be a respite from corporate events due to c-19.

The semiprivate was a good primer for eventually deciding to join a private course.

Obviously individual circumstances and preferences can vary widely in this.