Getting Older Is Killing My Golf Game, Or What Is Left Of It

platgof

I hope you are feeling better soon. :-)

I am 65 and while I work hard on my game, I realize I am up against certain limitations. I have to learn to accept those, and just do the best I can. One thing I have done is play the senior tees. It was getting frustrating hitting fairway woods into many par 4's, and on some par 3's. From the senior tees I can hit irons again.

And, be grateful that I can at least continue to play this great game.

This is only my personal experience, but I went to a TPI-type place, got evaluated, and started a LOT of mobility work. I'm almost 68, and I'd rate my fitness level as VERY high prior to going; workouts 3x as week, running, walk 18 holes 3 or 4 times a week, not carrying extra weight, etc. In spite of all of that, I not only lost yardage, but also consistency in my game, and I just wasn't able to manage the swing changes that an instructor was working with me on, despite a TON of practice.

Fast forward to now after 5 months of workouts tailored to my particular deficiencies, primarily hip strength and especially hip mobility. I'm exactly 20 yards longer with the driver than I was a little less than two years ago, 12 yards longer with my 4 hybrid, and 8 yards longer than I was with my 7 iron. (I use Arccos, so these aren't guesses, btw.)

Bottom line is that a loss of mobility (as opposed to either strength or flexibility) will REALLY limit your ability to move the club effectively, but it can be addressed. But I think it's no different than getting professional help for a swing issue; get looked at by somebody that knows what they are doing, and let them develop a plan for you going forward.

Inspiring, but not for me...not anymore, anyway. I kept my game alive over the winter, playing in some of the worst weather I've ever encountered. I kept my swing alive over the shut down, hitting balls in the garage and pitching in the back yard. I've given enough to this stupid game, and I'm tired of getting shat upon. Dedication and diligent practice no longer pay off. My round this morning was soul crushing. It's not fun anymore.

I hear you MG. Have been playing for 40+ yrs, taking lessons, put a lot of thought into improving and the results are better. But, still way off my expectation. Throw in a bad back, bad wrist, as you say, it's not fun anymore. My next approach is to play and enjoy golf and not worry about getting better from a technical perspective. Go with, what you have.

Thanks. I've got to say that one of the great mysteries of my life is why I never got better at this game. I certainly put in the effort, and I have sufficient athletic talent. I put more time, study, education, and practice hours into golf than anything else in my life, including my profession. There is literally nothing more I could have done. I guess I can die with the knowledge that I gave it all I have. The game simply beat me.

When I started golfing (around 30 years old) I took some lessons to learn the basics. Played with an upper 20s index. As time went on I got myself to ~20. Then years later I took some really good lessons with video analysis etc and managed to shave ~5 more strokes off my handicap. Got down to about 15. To get better than that was going to be a lot bigger investment of time and money. So I stopped the lessons and now just enjoy playing with an 16-18 index. If I was interested in practicing sure I'd get somewhat better but not sure it would make me enjoy the game any more.

So just enjoy the game, being with friends and being outside, celebrate the good shots and don't worry about the bad ones. :)

• Like 2

Agreed. Have recently spoken to a friend who works at a golf course, he is in his 60's. He was able to play for free. He said, the difference between shooting in the 90's and 80's was playing 3 times per week. Makes sense. The opposite is playing 1-2's per month. The pressure and high expectations alone can cause bad results.

Well, I am 78 and have run out of excuses some time ago and I won't use age as yet another. Plain truth is.... I suck at it! That being said, I am going back to muscle back blades just because I want to. That's the way I started out anyway as that's all there were Persimmon, Balata, and blades. Its been awhile since I've broken 80 and struggle to beat 90.

• Like 1

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

Absolutely! Playing regularly helps a lot. Last year, like always, I was on the cusp of better play then winter hits. Not playing from September/October til May due to winter makes it like starting over every year. Short game especially goes to crap and that's where stokes really add up.

Played like crap today but it's okay. I was outside enjoying time with friends.

Glad the OP got help here. Definitely sounded like he had some med issues that are now getting addressed.

I am getting a lot better, and yes, it is fixable. The last 6 months has been a very rough ride, and I know a lot of you can easily relate. What I have been through since March should have gotten me. My doctor prescribed metroNidazole, and it has been a miracle drug for me. I went from out of work Tues. to going back to work Wed. The body changes have been out of this world so far. I am not 100% yet, and wonder after going through all of this if I ever will be. Every two weeks I had a bacterial ulcer attack that had me in tears since March. Where would I be without this doctor??? I am to tired to really play just yet, but after another week I should be good to go. Practice this week(chipping/putting) has been very encouraging. I have never hit better chips, so it looks promising. Putting meh!

• Like 2

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Glad to hear that you've got it sorted out. Medical issues are a buggerr.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

My game is finally back and played yesterday and today. Yesterday shot 51, and today 46/42. The pars just started rolling in, and the driver picked up tremendously after making a minor adjustment. I even got some of my old form back after I started using Johnny Miller's tip about the left shoulder, and some distance.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

Today I walked nine and shot 41, my personal best there. Amazing what an illness can do to your game. I don't know how long this will last as I hurt really bad after a game. Mostly shoulder pain in both shoulders and the neck.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

I resemble this thread. I'm 66 and going through some major swings changes and have been for 2 years, My distance loss is frightening. I got out a swing speed radar the other day and it showed my driver clubhead speed in the mid to high 70 mph range. I then looked at swings in my Flightscope app from two years ago, my 7 iron speed was 75-79 mph. My driver was mid to high 90s.

I believe the 75ish mph driver swing because I hit "decent" drivers about 175-180 over the weekend. I moved up a tee and still couldn't reach greens in regulation. It sucks.

I have a lesson tomorrow and I'm going to ask about this.

What helped me, and it hurts, is more shoulder rotation on the downswing, leading with the left shoulder, and the finishes have been very nice. I also think warmer weather really does loosen the grease, and help the swing more. I feel so much better, the bacterial infected ulcer was horrible, beyond belief, as it affected everything.

Bag is in overhaul mode

I'm 68 and fighting similar swing speeds and driver distance. Started PT on a knee issue shortly before COVID arrived. Started attending a video yoga class to help with stretching in hopes it will help me regain some of the swing speed. City courses still closed in Chicago so haven't had chance to see if the yoga will be magical or not - fingers crossed!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Yah, its frightening how the onset of distance loss occurs progressively faster. Four years or so I noticed diminishing returns and losses upwards of 30 yds. Now it is over 40 yds throughout the bag. For a short time, I got some of it back after using the speed stick system (home made). My health is still good, but I tire much more easily. I do better when I do only nine holes. I am not sure of driving distance ever since my Garmin watch fizzled out and I hate to waste time looking for sprinkler head markers or pacing off from yardage stakes. My estimate would be 180+- but usually those things are less than you think.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

• 3 weeks later...

Had a blast walking nine today. My health continues to get better after that near death experience. Shot one of my best rounds today, just awesome. I put a seat on my Clic Gear for my tired old a.. If I have to wait on others it helps to take a seat in the shade, makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode