Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Just ordered up my first set of brand new irons since I started golfing. Been playing Callway X20’s forever and just adjusted my swing to work. Finally went and got fitted for some Maltby TS1’s with Kuro Kage shafts and the new Winn DriTac LT grips. Just was reading through this thread but never saw much regarding the TS1 and what you guys thought about it... unless I missed a page between 1 and 34...

There are a lot of guys that prefer the TS 1 over the TS 2. It looks and plays more like a blade but still has great forgiveness and that fantastic relieved V type sole.

I love the TS 2 but it didn't seem to fit my game as I was hitting some of the mid irons way too far. The long irons are without a doubt the easiest and most forgiving irons I've played.

To help with the mid iron gapping I went with the TS1. I seemed to have a love hate relationship with the TS1 in the fact that I would shoot lights out and then struggle the next round.

So then I replaced the mid irons with my MMB Problem Solved with the gapping but the sharp leading edge would leave me with too many fat shots when conditions were questionable and wet.

Which leads me to where I am right now with the PTM irons. If the TS2 and the MMB's had a love child it would be the PTM.

If you look at the reviews on golf works website People are near obsessed with the TS1.

I've been gaming the TS1's in 5-GW since June of 2019. I'm pretty thrilled with them. I love blades and can be a little put off by shovels. The TS1's look fantastic and inspire a lot of confidence in me. Compared head to head with my Mizuno MP14's they have a slightly larger overall head size and a more 'modern' shaping that's very curvy and sleek. I really enjoy the minimalist branding and decal. Playability wise they perform very well. Little hotter ball speed and some extra forgiveness is appreciated. I really enjoy the rounded sole as it is more forgiving by a wide margin in terms of low point control. The PW and GW are not hollow, but they are fantastic wedges. Excellent around the green. I have a ton of confidence between the two to cover me from about 120 yds to about 80 yds.

Regarding the hollow head design, I'm not an expert - but these are my thoughts. I find that the mid irons feel very good. Not as pure as a true blade. But I don't notice anything off putting in terms of sound or feel. I have not noticed any inconsistency in terms of carry distance. I can recall maybe two shots where I hit a good strike and it just went maybe 5 to 10 yards further than I was expecting. The thought popped into my mind that it may have been the hotter face causing a jump or spike in ball speed. But it could just as well be some wind I didn't factor or confirmation bias. I'm not an expert and I have no launch monitor data. Just some subjective thoughts. For me though, the tradeoff in getting some extra help on more frequent misshits is a big benefit over any risk that a good strike may jump too far once in a blue moon.

I think overall I'm most thrilled that they really check both the looks and confidence of a blade combined with the playability of a more forgiving iron.

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS - 8*

Woods - Cobra LTDx 14*

Hybrids - Ping G425 19, 22, 26, 30

Irons - Maltby KE4 Max 8-GW

Wedges - Maltby TSW 54, 60

Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura X Armlock

My WITB Shenanigans

The TS-1's are great and I have been gaming them for a while now. At first I wasn't a fan, but once I added some lead tape they have been fantastic! I have not notice any flyers and honestly I am thinking about buying a back up set just because. They are very forgiving for a blade design and are now making me forget about selling my beloved MP-68's. You cannot go wrong with them IMO.

Thanks guys. I swung the TS1’s, 790’s, and the Mizuno HMB MP20’s. All about the same in terms of forgiveness. I fell in love with the aesthetic of the Mizunos. But I hit the TS1’s about the exact same and for a fraction of the cost and almost just as good lookin’ I couldn’t pass up the deal. Plus having that extra savings and adding the shaft and grips I truly wanted it was a no brainer. I can’t wait for them to come in and to game a few rounds with them.

I agree with the above. I have a combo set (after reviewing this and other threads in detail) and I can say that I am not disappointed in either. In all honesty, I could go with a full set of either. Currently, my set splits at the 8i. The 7i may be the best golf club I have ever owned, for whatever reason, I can do whatever I want with it. Pretty much, if I have to do something crazy, (go low under limbs, hit a massive cut around a tree (like 30 yards of cut), flight it down for the wind etc), and its <=150 yards (my normal full swing carry is about 162) then 7i all day...

That being said, the TS1 9i is a very close 2nd. When my swing is off and I need to get something going in the contact and consistency department, the 9i is where I go.

Feel wise, in my opinion, the TS1 wins, though, this could be a sound thing (to me feel and sound are inherently connected). I came from Nike VR pro combos and the TS1 feels very close to the nike's (which if you never hit are super underrated in the feel department, and easily compete with Mizuno, Srixon, etc), I still can't tell which one I like better. The TS-2's feel great for the type of head they are, but after many rounds now, I can tell a slight difference in feel between the two. Not enough to care, as I am thrilled with the set I have, but it is there. That is subjective though.

I have experienced the occasional flier with both heads. but as with what was mentioned before, I have experienced WAY more mishits that resulted in reasonable results than fliers that have caused any real issue. I will say, every once in a while, when long is no good, and I'm striking well, I do have to consider the potential for a flier, not really a dis, just an additional consideration. The level I'm talking though is, "do I want to be aggressive to get the 3 ft birdie putt, or do I land it front middle of green and have a reasonable 2-putt?" So nothing earth shattering...

All in all, you are going to be thrilled. These clubs are better than advertised, and would cost $1500 if it had OEM labeling and aesthetic.

I honestly can say that the topline on the TS2 HAS completely disappeared (never thought I would say that, as I used to think topline aesthetic was a thing for me), BUT I love looking down at the TS1, I just really do.

Good luck with them and anyone considering a set of either will not be disappointed. They are seriously close to the perfect amatuer golf club. Someday, when I'm a pro, I may go with a true blade, because variation of 2-5 yards can been devastating. As a regular golfer who just loves the game and wants to get as good as I can....it offers enough forgiveness to not destroy a round, but enough feel and intuition to feel like I am the one hitting the shots...

bliss...

Enjoy :)

• 2 weeks later...

Took the PTM Blacks out today for the first time and man are they nice. I was playing pretty well today so I would like to see how they perform when I’m a little off but I didn’t hit every ball in the center today and on the occasional toe shot they still performed just as good. Theres just something about how the black club face surrounds the ball that I really like.

I normally play ping irons as they have always felt more comfortable to me. That’s partially due to the blade length of pings as they are close to the longest along with Mizuno in my opinion. I fluctuate anywhere from a 8-13 handicap depending on how I’m playing. I’ve trended more towards 13 in the past couple months as I went to Florida on vacation and my game didn’t follow there nor did it come back with me so I’ve been struggling to get it back but these really helped today for sure.

Anyone that thinks they like the look of black clubs give these a try. Being the DBM you won’t be disappointed and even better is the price. They’re just as good if not better than the cobras and they look/feel better in my opinion. Plus they’re a fraction of the price ( had the cobra forged tec black which was one of the reasons I wanted a black club set so bad)

Heres some pictures of the set I made. I got the heads new and found some Ping AWT 2.0 shafts on eBay for $50. After I lengthened the shafts about a half inch and put sensicore inserts in which probably are another reason these clubs feel ??. Then I bought vinyl film that people use to black out their cars and wrapped the shafts to go full blackout look. They turned out to be JUST WHAT I WANTED. Couldn’t be happier. Plus have me a project to do right now with everything going on.

4aac19f1-5b22-4f60-b252-d4444c936775.jpeg

bb976053-dd71-4b7f-b49b-22a49413d11b.jpeg

d61dc78c-5cb1-4a80-9a58-f378d2d87638.jpeg

I may replace the red with a gold/yellow color myself. I really likes that look with the MG Tour heads I had a few seasons back.

I'm glad your first outing was to go so low. Will be interesting to see if you can back it up.

Its funny how well these fall right into my wants and needs for an iron yet I hadn't given them a solid consideration. But in reality its such a good blend to what I loved in the MMB but didn't like in the TS-2. TS-2 was a nit pick but certain irons just went way too far. The more comfortable i got with them the further they went.

It may be a month or so before I can build an entire set with the 95g Rapid taper irons. That should make this a truly sublime set of golf clubs. As they sit now I get such a joy out of the shot shape and repeatable performance. Next will be that every shot amazing feel I'm seeing in the 95g/6i combo. I have some more samples at the house that just arrived. A 95g R, a few 95g S's, a 75g S and a 75g R flex. Ill put those all with a 6 PTM head and try to get as many people I can to hit them. i want to see a woman hit the 75g R as well as a few senior slow swing players. Supposedly there might be an A flex as well. lots of testing to do this next two weeks. Cant wait!!

Since I'm getting along so well with the 4 iron I have an FDI 2 on the way to replace the FDI 3 that's become redundant for me. That will be 19*. should be a nice fit between the 22* 4 iron and the 16* TC FW. Ill put the 75g S flex Rapid Taper in that. It will certainly go far, hope it goes straight as well. Not normally a setup i can control. But from what I see with the 4i/RT 75 it might not be an issue.

Cracked the face of my Titleist 818 21 degree hybrid and with all the golf shops closed the last 2 months I went ahead and built a TS-1 3iron with an X100 AMT shaft to complement my MBs (X100s) and it's been a nice replacement. Definitely lower launch and easier to control in wind than the hybrid but it is quite a bit larger than my 4iron head so took some getting used to. I also wish the offset was less even though it is right in line with something like a p790 or u500 3iron. It feels solid off the face and gives good feedback but it is definitely not a forged blade. Overall for $80 and a brand new 3iron I'm happy and would do it again!

Since this has morphed into the all Maltby thread.. I have to talk about a club combination that has finalized my bag is the 2 FDI hybrid.

With wedges, irons, FW and driver set for the foreseeable future the hole in the bag was the 220-230 range. The 4 iron at 205-210 made the FDI 3 obsolete. I put the 2 FDI with an Xcaliber Rapid Taper 75 S. It has been shockingly good. Easy to hit,,, straight, good height and consistent. The Rapid Taper shaft has been incredible in the long irons/hybrid. Its always been a very weak spot in my bag but has turned into a true strong point. I have been getting on in two on all the par 5s. I had two eagles the other day and my scores have been better than ever.

20200530-193654.jpg

20200530-191424.jpg

20200530-191420.jpgIts a scary long looking club but boy does it work. The best part is I'm just getting used to it. I have a head to head match for a little money Friday. I would love to continue putting everything together and take some of his money. Former mini tour player so its more than a challenge.

I have a 95g S, 95g R, 75g S, 75g R and a below spec 75g S. The other night I had them all in the simulator. Switching from one weight to the other was actually more difficult that I had anticipated. At this sim the mats are super thin and you have to pick the ball clean. I strike down on the ball. So it wasn't ideal testing condition.

It was a toss up between the 95S and the 75S. But the biggest surprise of testing was how well the below spec 75g shaft was. It went head to head with the best numbers in every way.

If my arms are not tired from pounding balls and I just grab an iron, I like the 95g better for feel. It of course feels a bit more stable. The 75g has a more lively feel. Performance differences are negligible. With the lighter shafts i of course can go longer in a range session. Its very surprising how heavy the 95g will feel after 20 75g swings.

I continue to hand these irons off to random golfers at the range. Aside from one guy who was really struggling with their swing they all love the feel and performance of the shafts. One tall player who plays X100s was hitting every shot fat but was quite surprised at the consistency of the ball flight.

I ask golfers how they compare to their own clubs. I get a lot of returns.. it goes as far as my 5 iron.

Friday I have an outdoor LM session so I'll post the data I caputre of all the iron shafts. I'll try to do the 95g shafts first as its an easier transition to the 75 g.

In the future 85g shafts and 105g shafts will be built. The 75g and the 95g will hopefully arrive retail July.