Albany NY Private Courses - Need info please!!

Hey guys... Moving to Albany, NY in a week and wanted to get some information on the private clubs in the area.

People's favorite clubs to play, the type of membership (snobby rich guys vs working man's club and also younger vs older members), price points, best practice facilities, etc.

I'm 24 years old so I qualify for most of the young professional discounts.

So far I have looked into:

Country Club of Troy: $200/month plus $75 food and bev min

Albany Country Club: $500 initiation. $1,575 dues with no food bev minimum.

Pinehaven: $1100 dues

Interested in hearing some more about Schuyler Meadows and Colonie.

Appreciate any information you guys can give me!

Wolfert's Roost $$$$

Schuyler Meadows $$$$$

Shaker Ridge $$$

Albany CC $$$$

Pine Haven $$$

I've heard Troy is old money (hills), Schuyler is stupid money (a local Augusta), Albany is around 10k + but has an awesome tract looking out over the whole Capital District, Shaker Ridge is suburban land utopia, Pine Haven is probably most affordable and is in an interesting location (the Pine Bush in Guilderland). The Roost is designed by Tillinghast- 'nuff said (it's awesome), but tres bucks. I've played them all, one of the perks of being on a school golf team. Have only been back to two of them since. I live near Pine Haven and am a non-golf member there.

Regarding public courses there are a number that are fare tracts: Town of Colonie (four nines), Orchard Creek (among foothills of the Heldeberg Escarpment), Schenectady GC, Albany GC, Normanside (formerly private) among others. If you travel 30 minutes north you could play the SPA course in Saratoga, NY, Saratoga International, or Saratoga Lake Course among others.

This is a good area for public golf. Many courses are old- 50 to over a hundred years old, with mature land features, elevation changes, water, lakes, streams, hollows, etc.

Wolfert's Roost $$$$

Schuyler Meadows $$$$$

Shaker Ridge $$$

Albany CC $$$$

Pine Haven $$$

I've heard Troy is old money (hills), Schuyler is stupid money (a local Augusta), Albany is around 10k + but has an awesome tract looking out over the whole Capital District, Shaker Ridge is suburban land utopia, Pine Haven is probably most affordable and is in an interesting location (the Pine Bush in Guilderland). The Roost is designed by Tillinghast- 'nuff said (it's awesome), but tres bucks. I've played them all, one of the perks of being on a school golf team. Have only been back to two of them since. I live near Pine Haven and am a non-golf member there.

Regarding public courses there are a number that are fare tracts: Town of Colonie (four nines), Orchard Creek (among foothills of the Heldeberg Escarpment), Schenectady GC, Albany GC, Normanside (formerly private) among others. If you travel 30 minutes north you could play the SPA course in Saratoga, NY, Saratoga International, or Saratoga Lake Course among others.

This is a good area for public golf. Many courses are old- 50 to over a hundred years old, with mature land features, elevation changes, water, lakes, streams, hollows, etc.

Appreciate the info... thankfully I am still young enough to qualify for some really good deals at all these clubs.

Seems like Schuyler Meadows is the best in the area. Anyone know if they are currently considering members and/or offering incentives for young adults?

After Schuyler it seems as if Albany CC and CC of Troy fall in the next level followed by Shaker, Pinehaven, and Colonie. Interested in how people would stack these courses up against each other after considering course conditions, layout, clubhouse/amenities.

Wolfert's Roost is only 6200 yards so while it may be in perfect condition I crossed that off the list because I would go crazy hitting flip wedges into every par 4. Would love to have a course over 6800 but it seems that is stretching it as many of these courses were built a long time ago.

If you move just north of the city look into Saratoga National. It's a public course but really more resort course. Great practice facility, typically some of the best conditions in the area and and an amazing clubhouse locker room. They have an annual pass program that might work for you. Honestly never been impressed with the private clubs in the area but SNGC is very good and course wise Orchard Creek is a hidden gem.

Wolfert's Roost is a beautiful course, a buddy of mine belongs there and loves it! It is pricey but the course is immaculate from my experience

Wolfert's Roost seems like a great place and it is going to be close to my office but I'm not sure I could play every day at a 6,200 course. Seems like I would end up hitting a lot of 2 or 4 irons off tees and wedges into the greens. Maybe it plays much longer than the yardage tho or maybe they have lengthened it since their last scorecard update online.

Wolfert's Roost is a beautiful course, a buddy of mine belongs there and loves it! It is pricey but the course is immaculate from my experience

Wolfert's Roost seems like a great place and it is going to be close to my office but I'm not sure I could play every day at a 6,200 course. Seems like I would end up hitting a lot of 2 or 4 irons off tees and wedges into the greens. Maybe it plays much longer than the yardage tho or maybe they have lengthened it since their last scorecard update online.

Most local golfers only dream of belonging to the Roost. A note: these clubs usually have a program where you can play the others. Belong to one and you can try the others, eat dinner, have drinks, etc. and charge to your club member number at your original course. If you prefer the other club you might be able to switch the next year.

Schuyler is the best course in the area IMO. Unless you know someone who is a member there or works there you won't get on, and they don't openly solicit new members. From the three times I've played there my group was one of a handful of groups playing for the day. Old money they don't need new members. But it's a fantastic layout kept in the best shape of any course in the area.

Pinehaven isn't doing so hot at the moment, and honestly it's a weak design of a course. It relies exclusively on how tight it is. While the greens are kept in decent shape I've spoken to more than one person who have been members out there in the past about how maddening of a course it is to play...and I would have to agree with them.

Albany use to have some good junior professional membership price points. Not sure what their current rates are but that's a good track. A couple of short par 4s but it has some of the better long par 4s in the area.

Colonie CC is long on the scorecard but it doesn't seem to play that long, but at the price point it may be the best option. Decent practice facility and in decent shape.

Shaker is a good course as well. Kept in good shape always but I don't think it's necessarily so much better that it's worth the added expense.

I've played the Roost a few times now, and I've played a few Tillinghasts. It's a Tilly redesign and therefore lacks the characteristics that made real tillinghasts really good. Like you said, lots of flip wedges and a driving range that can't accommodate the use of...well...drivers.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Searched "Schuyler" and this thread popped up. A couple of Schuyler Meadows caddies circa 1930. My dad and his little brother. They lived 1 mile north of the clubhouse in a house without running water on Overlook Ave. Both became pretty good golfers. 

JohnStantweenage.jpeg

• Like 2

Driver - Nike Covert VS 

3W- TaylorMade R7

7W- Hippo Final decision 21deg

Irons- 5-PW Custom fitted System 3000 Tour Hot Forged w steel shafts

Cleveland 588RTX 48deg

SW- Cleveland CG12 56deg

Putter- Ping Asner3 w std grip