2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Private Club 30 minutes from Manhattan

YoungBorra

I just joined Lake Success Golf Club (The Lake) and it's the best decision I could have made:

30 minutes from the east side of Manhattan (sometimes less). With normal traffic, 40-46 minutes but no longer. Right now it's been 26-29 minutes on average there and back from the upper east.Well manicured, great walking course. Challenging front 9 with a good mix of holes on the back. Greens run great - lots of challenges (I'm 6 rounds in for the season and am far from figuring it out)Huge practice green for putting. Two separate chipping/pitching greens and a practice bunker.Small irons only driving range but good enough to practice and get your game going.Not open yet because of COVID but men's locker room has new updates: showers, steam room, etc. etc. Patio & Grill room look wonderful

Pricing is reasonable 40+ but for under 40, best situation possible. Only thing is $30 cart fees and even if you choose to walk, it's still $30 tacked on. However: no food minimums, no capital fund, no assessments, no initiation. Can't beat that.

let me know if you want to come check it out - I'm digging it.

I love looking at courses on google maps. Your new club looks very nice from the air and im amazed at how much variety they have packed into a small space! Looks like a tight, challenging course that if you can hit it long and stay between the tree you can score! Also, with my signature "power fade with extra fade" I would be donating a lot of balls to the lake on #18!

I've looked at every single club, honest to god. I've been a member at three in the area over the years and the issue is if you're not made of money, it's really tough to play private golf in the metropolitan section of NY. My buddies who live in Georgia and Tennessee are paying $3000 for a whole year at wonderful clubs: here, $3000 will get you one month in a small one bedroom in Manhattan (which you probably already know).

LS (The Lake) is a great situation for me because yes, I do live in the city and yes, for under 40 it's a great deal. Unlike other clubs that are going to cost you $7000-9000 a year for dues PLUS $300 a month for capital assessments, $300 a quarter for food minimums and then $80-120 every time you play on a weekend with a mandatory caddy, LS doesn't have any of that extra extra jazz that turns said 7-9K into 14-16.

Granted this: if you have the money and can pay a 10-30K initiation fee, check out these clubs which are close to the city:

Pelham / North Hills (LI) / Bonnie Briar (Larchmont) / Rockland CC . All have good ranges, good courses and are within 35/40 minutes from Manhattan.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Would love to hear more about Wykagyl. Actually drive by the other day.

Ive lived in Westchester county since 2013. The public courses (Westchester county) are only 6 courses and rounds can be brutally long.

scarsdale Golf Club is down the block from me but ridiculously expensive like all things in Westchester county.

• 2 weeks later...

Wykagyl is a fantastic club. But, I would not characterize it as affordable. You are looking at north of $20k in annual carry before you stick a tee in the ground.

Pelham CC is down the road. Less expensive than Wykgyl and the course was just renovated. That said, it's not as nice, and it has i-95 running through it.

The issue you are going to have in lower Westchester is the concentration of people/wealth and the fact that most all clubs are geared towards families. There is really no such thing as a pure golf club. Every club has a bunch of other amenities, which you will be paying for.

• Like 1

If your looking for value and close to Manhattan look no further than @YoungBorra and Lake Sucess Country Club. I had a chance to play it a few weeks ago and i would say there is a high percentage i join next season. Great little course, well priced (under 40), staff was friendly etc. Only thing that it doesn't exactly have is a driving range. It has a 4 stall, 180yd driving range which is more for warming up than anything else.

some of the more affordable westchester clubs are Rye, westchester hills, hampshire, leewood & mahopac beach club (which is way up north of chappaqua). of course, none of those are perfect and that's why they're currently affordable, but for westchester they are worth looking into.

for long island besides the aformentioned lake success, the other village clubs such as lawrence & sands point tend to be more affordable. a couple of the other clubs near lawrence are also reasonably priced. also may find deals at tam o'shanter & muttontown, as neither are owned by their members anymore.

throughout NJ, there are far more deals but you're looking at a much longer drive and much worse traffic. numerous threads in here about NJ clubs but some that come to mind / have been mentioned are NJ national, shackamaxon, newton cc, forest hill fc, panther valley & watchung valley. the latter of which considers (or did as of 2 years ago) NYC residents to be out of town / national members, thus reduced dues.

additionally, a lot of clubs because of the pandemic have moved away from mandatory caddies and some even mandatory carts, so its something worth looking into.

having said all that, even with golf tee sheets booming during the pandemic, the economic fall out hasn't been truly been felt yet in the middle/upper class (not a groundbreaking statement here). but with that in mind, there could be loads and loads of deals coming this fall & winter as members begin to drop out due to belt tightening. you may also find families decide to drop out & Reallocate funds to travel for next summer when it'll likely be allowed again. (on the contrary, ive heard some area clubs benefited this summer from lack of sleepaway camp & european travel, as those who could afford it decided to join clubs). regardless, there were tons of deals to be had in NYC area 2009-2011 coming out of the great recession, and i'd have to think the same thing will occur coming out of the pandemic.

• Like 1

@ButterCutter2 nice summary. You have done your research.
Adding a few random thoughts here:
Hampshire complete dog track and overpriced
Rye good value and nice course with nice sound views
Westchester Hills and Leewood were quite expensive when you add all the fees up (maybe they have relaxed those a bit?)
Mahopac was phenomenal really enjoyed it and price is right it is just a major haul from NYC area
Sands Point was great but also a bit pricey.
Have not played Lawrence but heard it is a bit of a dog track very good pricing though
After doing all my research I believe Lake Success is the best if you are on a budget and proximity is your top priority.
If proximity to NYC non factor, the best overall courses are Watchung Valley or Mahopac in my opinion

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, SLUGCC2002 said:

Happy to tell you about Rye. What would you like to know?

Thanks! 

I'm looking at a weekday membership. How full is the tee sheet most weekday mornings? 

What's the pace of play generally? 

Is the course in decent shape? 

Nice members? 

I live 30 minutes from Rye and have never played it. I'd be going in blind. Basically any CC in the 914 is out of my price range. This certainly is manageable. 

On 5/19/2020 at 8:01 AM, YoungBorra said:

I just joined Lake Success Golf Club (The Lake) and it's the best decision I could have made:

30 minutes from the east side of Manhattan (sometimes less). With normal traffic, 40-46 minutes but no longer.

Having lived in New York I have to believe that there is nothing on the island that is 30 minutes from the east side of Manhattan (except Astoria), unless your tee time is at 3AM on a Sunday morning.

Then there's parking in Manhattan, if you can find it.

What's the nearest Subway/LIRR station?

Edited by Guy In Lyon