2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Perfect Senior Bag Setup

platgof

Will turn 61 soon. I'm a late starter to the game at age 48. AS such I'm a slower swing speed player (85 with driver) that needs help with launch and spin.

I suffered a severe back injury over two years ago and it has been a long road to recovery. Didn't play at all in 2018 and started back last year , but on a limited basis (9 holes a week).

Senior flex in the long clubs has been a Godsend in gaining distance and launch since the injury. Still trying to figure out the long end of the bag. I could hit fairway woods successfully prior to the injury, but they were a challenge last year. As such I'm trying a 3 hybrid instead followed by a 5 hybrid for gapping. I have other long clubs in inventory (3W, 7W, 4H) that will periodically get switched in and out depending upon where I'm playing and required carry distances.

I've tried graphite iron shafts a couple of times over the years. I struggled with control as I tended to overswing. My current set of SGI irons with ultra lite steel (85 gm R flex) seems to be the best of both worlds. 30° loft is about the strongest that I can hit consistently with an iron from the deck. I have an Adams 6 Dhy with 85 gm steel ready to replace the set 6 iron.

Simplified the scoring clubs currently using a CB SW along with the set GW. I have a chipper in inventory, but that is an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire.

Narrowed down the putter choice to a couple of mallet options; one standard and one long with counterbalanced grip. The long putter was made in an effort to ease pressure on the low back so that I could practice more. Alignment and distance control have been less than ideal, so will be reverting to a more traditional type putter to see if there is a benefit.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

KCELB0DAUJJQ.pngI'm a senior (73) and these are my current and recently retired sets.

I may never have another set, and it's a good thing.

Looking at recent releases like the Callaway Epic Forged and the Titleist T400, models actually pitched at seniors, I would have no idea how to configure a set around them.

There was no such thing as a wedge of less than 50º when I began to play golf. Most set matching PWs were 52º, in fact. Hogan had the strong 50º Equalizer.

The new sets have pitching wedges under 40º and two matching gap wedges.

They have 4-irons the same loft as my driving iron.

I'm not even offering an opinion as to whether this is good or bad--maybe it's great-- but off the top of my head, I wouldn't know how to integrate irons like that into a set.

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

• 4 weeks later...

I believe for the first time in a long time, my bag is set for now. The weakest part of my game was the irons, now it is one of the strongest parts of my game. For some reason I will always struggle with the fairway woods, but do much better with the hybrids. Putting is now becoming the hardest part of my game, especially the first putt, and then choking on the second putt. It is not the putter either, it is me. Getting older makes putting tough. I did get to play today in absolutely the best weather possible, just beautiful. What a difference between the 45* and 60* degree weather.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

• 3 months later...
@SwingBlade sets a good tone: "Nowadays not really sure what a “senior golfer” really is. I think the way to address these issues is to define handicap range and swing speed of driver and current distance and trajectory of maybe a 6 iron and an 8 iron."
I will turn 70 this fall. I have 87 MPH clubhead speed with driver, and hit my 7i about 140 yards. Physically, I'm a bit of a mix. I have an arthritic right hip that tightens up on the back nine. I got physical therapy that really loosened things up, but I'm now starting to get aches in left hip. That said, at the golf expo GolfTEC booth, the pro said I had an exceptional degree range of shoulder rotation. So, basically I'm physically out of balance. General plan: rely on hip rotation so I stay on balance and don't get out of sequence.
For me, one challenge has been going to lighter shafts without going too light. Case in point is the FlyZ hybrids. These have 73-gram shafts, but are A-flex. They just drop into the slot nice, but explode through ball at impact. I play both at minimum loft, so the square-stance shot is a slight fade - none of the hookies like in the prior offset-head, 60-gram shafted hybrids. (Note: 3H replaces 7W in cold weather when wind is high and rough is thin).
As for fairway woods, I'm into my ninth season of some variation of 4W + 7W. The XRails are back in bag as shafts launch better than those in Alpha 815s, although XRails have slight draw bias I don't need. I may get an Mamiya MP5 shaft (R-flex, 53 grams, 3.7* torque) to try out in the Alphas.
The irons are the real question mark. I got fitted for them in Fall 2018 with KBS Tour 90 R-flex shafts (about 100 grams uncut), but I don't always get them squared up. The old "fighting the shaft." I want to go with graphite shafts - in retirement I can play enough to get sore elbows from steel. Some pre-COVID tests of irons show I did well with the Mavrik MAX irons in the Catalyst 80 shafts (MAX flew longer than stock Mavrik), and possibly Ping G710 irons with counterbalanced Alta CB shafts.
-----------------
Other senior golfers: lots of attention to drivers. A driver upgrade with more helpful shaft and higher head loft can lead to quite a teebox gain.
Seniors who get fitted for first time in 10 years are finally adding hybrids, and dumping the 3W and going with 5W or 7W.
And, lighter graphite shafts in irons. You want to use the club, not fight with it.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Lesseee, 65 yrs, swing and speed is increasing after decreasing due to heart surgery 9 yrs ago.

SS is 92-96 w Driver, 80 w/ 7i, no physical limitations, stretch and hit the Concept rower for 30 min at least 3X per week.

I have an overflowing bag, but if I wanted to set up for more height (this is not my typical bag)

Ping G400 Max 9 with 53g TPT 17 Shaft.

TEE EXS 220 16.5 wd wiith low kick shaft

TEE 19 3Hy with mid spin, high launch shaft.

PXG 4,5 Hy with CK Pro Red 70 shaft

Mizuno HMP - 6-7i, Mizuno 919F 8-PW Accra i70 and i80

Mizuno MP T20 48, 53, 58 w Nippon Pro Modus 3 115 Wedge

SeeMore mGFP2

Ball - Srixon Z Star or ProV1X

• Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I put the G700 irons in the bag, then took them out, now they are back. Why, I am now hitting more greens in regulation with them. They take a learning curve to figure out properly, and I went to regular flex to get a heavier shaft. I also had to add some distance going to reg instead of senior flex graphite, so I am making sure to lead with a full shoulder turn, and it works just fine. I added about 1/2 a club in distance with this move. Also found out as I get older I do not want to turn the shoulders, but this is the worst situation possible and destroys the swing. So I am going to focus on this aspect the most this year.

Bag is in overhaul mode

How do you know when it's time to move up a set of tees?

I'm 72 and still playing the men's tees (not senior tees). Yes, it does create issues for me if the course is long... as in, 2nd shot on par 4's is a hybrid or 5w... and I may never get to the green on a par 5 if it's over 500 yards.

Occasionally, if the course is particularly difficult or long, I'll move up to the senior tees, but it seems like I'm just not focused when I move up to the senior tees.

It confuses me Dan. I play the senior tees, and I see my peers struggle mightily from one or two sets back. Maybe they enjoy the challenge of hitting fairway woods into par 4's, or maybe their egos won't allow them to move up. Sure there is the rare senior I see who can still scoot it out there, but the vast majority can't. The game is hard enough as it is, lol.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

A man's gotta know his limitations.  And then find clubs to minimize them.

• Like 1

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

Over here in UK - usually only 3 sets of tees - ladies red tees, mens yellow tees (non club and non competition) and white tees (club members and competitions)... + sometimes junior tees. 

Seniors when playing in club organised rounds all seem to play from the white tees - must admit as a person who only took up golf in my 60's find this strange. 

59 years young-  Hip replaced in 2011-  Right Shoulder in 2017-   Feel old on a given day-- Playing to a 7 now.

Cobra F-8+   9.0  Degree  Aldila Tour Green Stiff  44.5"

Cobra F-9 #3-4 wood at 13.5 Degrees- Elements Chrome Stiff-- primarily a tee club that is long

Cobra F-6 Baffler- 16.5 degrees- This is fwy killer

Maltby- KE-4 Tour 19 Degree Utility in Aldila NVS Stiff

Maltby 5- 7- TS-2 - 8-PW- TS-1-  Recoil 680 F-4

Adams- MB-3 GW

Maltby TSW-  54-58  Nippon 1050gh

David Mills-Nellie Forged 33.5"

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am 67 at this writing and have a 85 to 87 mph swing speed.  My clubs have graphite regular shafts except the Vokey's that have standard steel shafts. The worst club in my bag is the 6 iron.  Somedays it is just ok and some days it is really bad. 

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5 
Hybrids ___ Ping  G410 4H & Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist 718 AP1 6-W
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM8 52.08F & 56.08S

• Like 1

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

Played nine and shot 39! I had 7 pars in a row, then blew up on the last hole for a double, started with a bogie(tree.) I put the G700 5-7 iron in the bag, and that was the ticket. The driver was okay, but the irons and putter were money, especially the putter! I am staying with this bag for awhile. Cobra needs to make a set like this, hollow irons for 4/5-7, like the G700, and F9 for the rest. If they don't I will mix G710 and G425 to get what I want. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 2 months later...

I am going through my bag and finally got the driver straight. I put a stock TFC 419 high balance point shaft in it, and it is money. I think I gained 7 yards on average, but very accurate. The guys I was playing with were shocked how straight I was hitting it. The Cobra F9 5&7 fairway woods are being replaced by the G425 Max 7 wood. I want to concentrate on this and the Heavenwood. Not sure how long the Heavenwood will stay? I pulled the lob wedge as I just did not get along with it. The Callaway MD 5 is very good and will cover it's place. So I am pulling two clubs for now, and put my practice sticks in there. 

• Like 2

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 5/30/2020 at 8:08 PM, Sean2 said:

It confuses me Dan. I play the senior tees, and I see my peers struggle mightily from one or two sets back. Maybe they enjoy the challenge of hitting fairway woods into par 4's, or maybe their egos won't allow them to move up. Sure there is the rare senior I see who can still scoot it out there, but the vast majority can't. The game is hard enough as it is, lol.

This is why I use the 160, 360, and 460 max rule for the max length I will play a hole. I start off on white tees, and adjust to senior tees when it suits me by the 160, 360, and 460 max rule. This way I still play longer tees when possible as some senior tees are just to short. Driver and wedge gets old quick, as I want to use the whole bag. 

• Like 3

Bag is in overhaul mode

63 years old....

12 Clubs

Driver - 10.5*

4 Wood - 17*

Hybrid - 22*

Irons - 5 to PW

Wedges 52 and 58

Putter

Edited by theothertwo
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5* Driver
Taylor Made Stealth 2 16.5* Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids 21* & 24*
Callaway Apex 21 Irons P-6 
Cleveland RTX ZipCore 54/10 and 60/6 Wedges 
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

My senior setup.....

Ping g30 LST with GD Tour AD 43.75”

W/S FG Tour F5 17* stock stiff 41.5”
4-SW Launch Pad irons/Px5.5  1/2 in. short 2* upright

Cleveland 588 RS LW if played

Putter... 8802 at moment

SIM2 MAX on preorder along with a 16.5* HL SIM2 Fwy

Down with an Achilles heel  issue currently, in a boot for 2 weeks per docs orders.

E66A7FE7-630B-4A2C-BC72-1C42B5B2FC36.jpeg

Edited by boggyman
  • Like 2

I'll be turning 60 in the next couple of weeks, but definitely not liking the idea of considering myself a senior...🙁

I'm pretty much the oldest in the group of guys I play with, but not ready to move up any tees. (I have made the case for moving up for the money game though... with no success)

My current Bag:

9* EPIC SZ with Aldila RIP Alpha (stiff)

Taylormade R9 3 wood with Fujikura shaft (stiff) - Can't part with this oldie but goodie

3-PW Srixon Z745's w/SF i95S

RTX4 (50,54,58) w/DG S400

My bag is pretty set. Driver swing speed is still 100-105 ish. The only change I'm looking at right now is a shaft in the driver. Thinking about moving away from a low launch shaft (Tensei AV Blue?). I'd like to get my launch angle up a little.

I'd be lying though if I said I wasn't impressed with the new SIM2 driver.

• Like 1

At 70, I am qualified as a senior.  However, I don't have the same belief as the OP. 

I don't want help elevating the ball and still using spin to stop the ball on fast greens.  Regardless of age if someone is physically strong he could play what's in my bag.  My 28yr old son who hits 5i 200+yards, comfortably plays my clubs. 

@Hawkeye77 said it well.  Your club requirements are what you need - not all younger players swing it 110, not all older players swing it 80.

If you don't have the signature turned on, mine reads:

• Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

5 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

At 70, I am qualified as a senior.  However, I don't have the same belief as the OP. 

I don't want help elevating the ball and still using spin to stop the ball on fast greens.  Regardless of age if someone is physically strong he could play what's in my bag.  My 28yr old son who hits 5i 200+yards, comfortably plays my clubs. 

@Hawkeye77 said it well.  Your club requirements are what you need - not all younger players swing it 110, not all older players swing it 80.

If you don't have the signature turned on, mine reads:

• Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX

Still toting a 2 iron at age 70 , outstanding!!! 😳 Bag looks like one off the tour in tv🤫!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1