2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

SIM driver guys - talk about it

getitdaily

Have a Sim 9* with Ventus black 6x coming shortly. Anyone else game this set-up?

TM M5 9* Fuji Tour Spec 63x Mizuno ST190 15* Tensei White 7x TM M1 Hybrid 19* Fuji Atmos blue x Mizuno 919 tour 7-pw Nippon Modus 120x Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 3-6 Nippon Modus 120x Cleveland RTX4 52,56,60 DG Tour Issue S400 Odyssey Stroke Lab R-Ball TM TP5

In some ways I would say its very forgiving- in other ways maybe not so much.

Vertically up and down the face I find it to be somewhat inconsistent. The launch "window" seems to vary greatly with more spin(and ballooning) on low contact that I would expect or what I see on a Mavrik Sub Zero

Across the face, from heel to toe I find it to be extremely forgiving. My miss is toe side of center, when its bad it results in a hard toe hook that usually ends up out of play. Whether its the twist face or something else I find this covering my miss way better than any other driver I've hit before. Keeping more shots in play and finding noticeably more fairways

IG: instagram.com/launchedgolf                                      

G430 LST Tour 2.0 Black 65X

TSR2+ HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.5                  
UW 19* MMT  (G430 19* Hybrid Kai'li 80X)
'24 Apex 23* MMT 105X

'24 Apex CB 5-11, DGX100

SM9 54/10M
Jaws Full Toe 58*

Ping Redwood Anser (the original Redwood)

On deck: Paradym Super Hybrid 21*, TSR3 24* hybrid, Apex CB 4-11, Apex MB 8-10, Apex Pro 4-6, Apex UT 23*, Apex UW 19*  Something has to fill the gap between that 8-iron and the driver

Nephew fit yesterday, massive improvements over his 17 m1

he plays d2 at a smaller school fwiw

best drive ... 108 swing, 281 carry, 2000 spin, 308 total. sim max 9* in a hazardous yellow stiff

impressive. His worst carry was 271 vs his old M1 which has a worst carry of 244.

the distance and launch and spin consistency was impressive

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I am thinking about the Ventus black but to be honest the stock smoke green is working really well for me, will be good to gear your thoughts on the combo

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Following....

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9 deg  / Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 3 wood (15 deg) / Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Blue 7x

PING G425 Hybrid 19.5 deg / Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8s (tipped 1/2)

Mizuno JPX 900 Tours 4-PW / KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff

Titleist SM5 50,54,60 / KBS 610 Stiff

Taylor Made Spider X Chalk  

IG: @martinmejia14 

Yep. I'm still in evaluation mode (not sure it's gonna take my Ping G410+ w/ Accra TZ5 out of the bag) but I am really loving certain aspects of this driver and the way I have it set up. I fight a big push right, but I'm a natural draw player. With my SIM 10.5 degree cranked down to 8 to open the face, and sliding weight in toe, I've been able to really free up my body to keep turning and not fear a deep left pull/draw. I am now playing a solid ~2-5 yard fade where my miss is actually just a straight shot down the left side of the fairway.

However, I will say the head weight is 2 grams less than my G410+ and it's noticeable. I am looking to have hotmelt added to the toe side to further increase the fade bias and simultaneously fix the rare moments when the light setup allows me to totally close and turn over the face into a wild low hook.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention. I'm 7-10 yards longer with SIM with Ventus Black 6x. Kinda a big deal.

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

I’ll post soon as I get it and get out on the course with it. Trackman will also be with me. This set up is recommended by a couple buddies of mine still out there on mini tours and taylormade rep so we’ll see ??

TM M5 9* Fuji Tour Spec 63x Mizuno ST190 15* Tensei White 7x TM M1 Hybrid 19* Fuji Atmos blue x Mizuno 919 tour 7-pw Nippon Modus 120x Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 3-6 Nippon Modus 120x Cleveland RTX4 52,56,60 DG Tour Issue S400 Odyssey Stroke Lab R-Ball TM TP5

Round 1 in the books with a new SIM Max today. It's a Will Peoples build. Specs are 9.5 loft, 44.75 length, Ventus Blue velocore. Had some hotmelt added for a SW of D2. I'll say this straight away, this is the best feeling and sounding driver I have ever played. I like a quiet muted driver, not all do but if you're like me this is top notch. I'm coming with from a G410+ with evenflow black. I told Will is was looking at a Max, I wanted something a little quiter, softer, and a little easier launching. The Ping was a really good driver. I didn't have any gripes with it TBH. It was just the itch for a new stick. The only thing was it felt like it took some effort to swing it, and to me it was harsh feeling. That might have been shaft related. The Max setup I have now, for me, is much easier swinging. Good for good I'm seeing pretty similar distance and similar dispersion, but it's only 1 round. I cranked up the loft 2 degrees on the range before the round because I felt the first few shots were too low. I'll be lowering it back down after getting used to it a little as some were now going a little too high during the round. I didn't see any severe misses either way. I'm prone to pull hook the ball sometime and these weren't as bad as normal. I think the best thing is before I didn't really care to much to tee off as I didn't care for the feel of the Ping, whereas now I like to get up there and hit the Max because it feels and sounds so good. I feel this will make a difference over time. In summary, I'm very pleased with it and look forward to dialing it in.

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

Well I finally got out to the range with both versions of the SIM. I had tried the max in a 9 degree head in store and was pretty blown away. Started with that just to see if outside I was seeing the same thing. The max felt incredibly stable and fast even on off center strikes. I switched over to the regular SIM to give it a shot. I found that it was much harder for me to find the middle and when I did it wasn’t as rewarding. The ball flight just looked off even on the muddled ones and the off center shots were not great. I went back to the max and took it down a notch towards the lower setting. I was able to hit the shots I wanted. Even on the bad swings where I thought the ball was going off the planet ended up in a reasonable position relative to my target. My cousin had a lot of luck with the regular sim head and found the max to be too spinny. We have very different swings so it was cool to see that both heads can cover a variety of players. I can’t wait to get the club in my hands and get it out for more rounds but so far I’m a big believer in this line.

Been using mine for the last couple months off and on. Little longer out of the middle than my G410 LST, but LST is more forgiving across the face. The Ventus Black I have in the SIM is a little too long which also causes the SW to be too high, so I really need to trim it down for a better comparison. Also tested with a HZRDUS T1100 and got good results. I’m using another CB shaft HZRDUS Yellow in the LST which has worked pretty well. I think there could be a couple more yards in the LST with some more tweaking but the 2 heads are very close. I do prefer the sound of the SIM.

Picked up a OTR (I know blasphemy) 10.5 with the Diamana last night. Ive gotten to where i really think most of the heads are going to perform very close and i wanted what suited my eye and ear the best. The fade bias played in as well the rest can be tuned with the shaft i think. Thought i was trying it tonight but they just put the whole county on lockdown! 6pm curfew means im not getting done in time.

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

Currently game the M6 and for those that had the M6 and switched to the SIM or SIM max did you notice a difference? Trying to decide if I want to upgrade or wait it out for the next release.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

same boat here, m6 thinking of Sim

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

I had a Sim Max 12 degree open up to 10 degree with Diamana stiff, hitting bomb but the open face cause a few right miss that I am not custom to. It starts getting in my head and I have to return it to superstore. I have also testing Sim before couple times and cannot spin it enough to control it. It might be just me, Sim sound a bit less mute and the ball seems to come off the face hotter.

Doing a bunch more research and more testing at Club champion, tried a bunch of drivers (Callaway, Cobra, Ping and Mizuno), the best of the bunch to me is Mizuno ST200 with Raijjin but it is still no better than my 44.5" TS2 with extra weight (got a 19G weight from Ebay) in head. Did one more test at the superstore since I have to return the club and use the credit to buy a new driver on the same day. Tried the Sim 10.5 and this time with the fujikura Pro 2.0 6S, feel decent and decide to buy it at standard length (I can always cut it down). Knowing Pro 2.0 is higher spin than other Taylor made offering and slightly counter balance and that I also prefer a heavier driver head, so bought a 16g weight from ebay (standard is 9.5?).

Just get back with my first range session and this combo is so far super promising, based on my mevo, this combo seems to give me better ball speed than my Sim Max and also straighter, the Pro 2.0 is less demanding than Diamana and spin more. I am feeling good and decided to open the face up just one click, it feel even better and no right miss like the Sim Max. Finger cross, first round tomorrow.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

I ADORE my SIM. As a matter of fact, it helped this past Saturday on my way to my lowest round since coming back to golf a year ago (after a 6 year hiatus due to surgery). Shot a 1 Under, 71. The driver really helped me to accomplish this, so long and very straight for me. Longest was 330 Yards, but 8/14 drives were 300 plus.

I have it set at 7.5 degrees with Hzrdus SMoke Green Shaft.

• Like 1

Just got fit this weekend so I have on order the Sim 8* one click higher to 8.75* with Accra TZ5 M5. Previous gamer was Ping G400 with Tensei Pro Orange 60tx. Gained about 12-15 total yards as this launches lower and spins lower with a better dispersion. Any one else gaming this combo?

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

We did try that combo in the fitting and found it launched a tad higher but also spun bit more. The variance in performance wasn't exponential but definitely enough to warrant the new shaft. The Accra had a better feel than the PO imo

I've been playing with the SIM 8* in standard settings for a few months now and am looking for some advice related to it. I love the club - the look, feel and sound are perfect. However, I've made some big changes to my swing where instead of swinging 4-5* up with my AOA I'm more level. As a consequence, I'm seeing the ball tail off to the right way too much and it's something I want to avoid. In addition, when I start swinging more from teh inside, it becomes very blocky. Should I make the club more upright at this point? Move the weight to the heel a bit? Any advice would be well received.

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

I had a similar issue in my fitting. So what we did was go up one click to higher to play at 8.75*. That definitely helps.

I've been playing the Max 10.5 since March. Love this driver. Only thing is into the wind it can balloon quite a bit, but the biggest thing is I can lose it left. Tried lowering it and opening the face but can still lose it left. Not sure if it's the DI shaft or not. Shafting up a PO to compare. Also, getting a new 9* SIM from my buddy to test. Going to try the DI in the SIM 9* first in case spin is too low. Question...if I increase loft on the SIM how much does it close the face?

There are a number of things that can happen to your delivery when changing your AoA like that and its best to narrow those down in terms of what might be happening. It depends on what you were doing to be positive before and what you're doing to be flatter now.

It usually all comes down to face closure rate/control, how that has changed, and where the bottom of your swing arc was and is now. Often times very positive AoA players will have the ball further forward in their stance with the bottom of your arc obviously happening earlier which gives the face more time to close as its getting "up" to the ball, taking the right more out of play. With an 8* low spin monster like the SIM, I would likely be swinging the same way to make the ball was getting up. If you have moved the ball back a bit, or changed your weight shift or spine angle through impact, all of these things might be happening earlier now, giving the club less time to close and likely coming more from the inside.

You also may be fighting the fact that with a neutral delivery, 8* of loft is likely too little unless you are bringing insane speed, and leaving the face a bit open is a sort of subconscious adjustment to keep loft on the club. I would definitely start by adding loft to the driver to see what the days. If the face angle starts to bug you then you'll have to swap heads. Either way, changing your AoA that much requires some club adjustment assuming that it was working well before. Assuming a fairly neutral delivery in terms of dynamic loft, if 8* was working with your 4-5* up delivery then you should be looking in the 9.5* neighborhood at least to start with a neutral delivery.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I have a pro orange that will most likely go in mine, testing tomorrow, any other stock shafts work well to have as a back up.

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite