2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Modern shafts in classic blades?

Thinking about picking up a vintage set of blades. Maybe something in the Ben Hogan line form 60’s or 70s.

Does anyone have experience putting modern shafts in a set like that? Anything unusual I should look out for. I’d probably stick with something like dynamic golds to keep the classic look. But wasn’t sure if there’s something else I should consider. Thanks!

I've done this a few times too and I would have to echo what the other guys are saying: I wouldn't bother unless you have a good reason such as a broken shaft, bad ferrules, or a flex that's way out of your range. It can be fun to do (a good reason to go for it!) but the benefits are questionable.

If you do decide to give it a try I would suggest leaving all measurements as close to stock as you can. Don't be tempted to "bring them up to modern specs" with longer shafts and/or bending them strong - that tends to wreck them in my experience.

Older clubs tend to be weaker spec-wise than modern clubs. Learning to live with an older 7 iron that performs like a modern 9 iron is the trick - if your ego can handle it. A 60's 3-pw set will often compare very similarly to the specs of a modern 5-Pw, +AW, +GW set.

I am not against shafting them for the purposes of playing them. In my case my back will not let me swing say a Apex 4 or 5 anymore and a Pro Pel 2 will strain me after 9 holes or so. Now I am of the school of the lengths they were designed at and not trying to jack lofts. Like Swinging says I absolutely have no ego problem at all hitting my 7 iron where others hit their 9 iron. But I am a firm believer in getting them where you can play them. LOL love it when playing with guys that say like " I hit my 50* gap wedge" I laugh and state where I come from 50* is a PW. In reality my Mac VIP PW is 48* but I know how to tone it down to 50* or 52*

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Thanks everyone!

I’ll definitely try them as-is first. I wouldn’t use them as my daily set so I’m totally fine with the ego hit of clubbing up. I can always pick up a few cheap hybrids to fill the gap at the top end of my bag if needed. My home course is pretty short anyways. More shotmaking than distance. And wouldn’t dream of touching the lofts (kinda defeats the purpose).

My main concern is that I don’t want to have to change up my tempo too much when I use them so I might want something stiffer. But we’ll see. I’m excited just to try them out.

• 5 months later...

I know this is an older thread but I’ll ad my 2 cents. I’m 79 , soon to be eighty. I ve played senior shafts now for a few years. I have several sets of classic clubs so I had a set of KARSTEN II iron that I had re shafted with TT XP95 lightweight steel,regular flex double soft stepped. After a few trips to the range I don’t think I would do it again. I don’t hit them any farther or higher than the stock shafts. I think now I should have used TT l lites at 12 bucks a shaft instead of 26 plus 12 each labor. I probably won’t be able to get back what I have invested. Probably put them on eBay with a buy now/ best offer.

What do you guys find with regard to swingweight when you put newer shafts in old blades? I've got some '68 VIPs (by Nicklaus) that I want to put TT DG R300s in (ferrules were shot, shafts that were in them were a bit stout for me and weren't original anyway), but when I dry fit and do some measuring, the SW comes out at about C5!

Does that sound about what you'd expect? Obviously I'll want to add some weight

• 1 month later...

I use these to fill the pin holes. I cut the them in half and then with a dab of epoxy on the end, tap it into the hole with a hammer. It will flatten and spread out as you hammer it. But once it's flush with the hosel, I take a razor blade and shave down the flattened pancaked head. It's flush and it looks like a legit pin. You can't tell the difference. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aluminum-Cut-Tack/39911745?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1475&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-51320962143&wl5=9022761&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113500168&wl11=online&wl12=39911745&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjw5vz2BRAtEiwAbcVIL4yhoxPGBUOnxJ-V_9ochWerwni_r1rhjPUbmER0jvHz-6dIHcz_yBoC0LAQAvD_BwE

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

I got a set of Wildon Staff blades once and went to reshaft them and the heads were threaded. I couldn't get them off and didnt have a leverage block. I got one after that but haven't needed it. I had to get 2 or 3 of them drilled out after I broke the shafts off inside the hosel. It was a mess.

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

Yep that sounds about right on the Macs--- Those old Brunswick shafts were heavy because they are so thick walled. I have Hogan Apex #2s in my VIPs and gobs of lead tape. Even though I have a SW scale I do not put my personal stuff on it. I go by feel. If tip weights do not bother you you can add weight there. Personally I can not stand a club that is slugged in the hosel or tip weighted. Lead tape does not bother me one iota to get clubs playable for me. I remember when Mitchell first sent me those they were pristine and even had iron covers. I built them and had them out on the range along with a roll of lead tape. Had a guy remark " those are nice irons dammed if I would put that nasty lead tape on them" I told him the man sent them to me to play not hang on the wall. I did it my way and note I have kicked his butt with them more than one time. The heads that are really light to me are any Mizuno MP series. I remember my 33s had a bunch of tape on them. My 68s I am going to rework some when I am able to get back into the shop and work. LOL they are my "legal conforming" set of irons

• Like 3

@BIG STU - perfect response regarding the lead tape!?? Would have been upset if didn’t play them or even worse if put tip weights in them ?
Hope you’re getting better my friend!??

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Thanks bud I guess I am progressing. 6 more weeks until I see the back doc again and then he has made it plain as toast--- SUPERVISED PT and it does not constitute swinging a golf club. The shoulder doc I was scheduled for today but tried to take the MRI and with the shoulder rig on would not fit into that one. So I have the MRI in a big machine Monday and go from there.

Thanks Stu - I've got them all sorted out now. They're all shafted, ferruled and gripped. May need some tape here and there but they're pretty close to where I want them.

It's funny you say that about MP-33s. Mine have always felt very light to me (I reshafted them without giving to much thought to swingweight etc), but after some research I discovered that Mizuno (and some other manufacturers) produce 'A' and 'B' heads - one is standard weight and the other is 9g or so lighter to allow for over-length builds. So I pulled the shaft from the 3i head, and sure enough it was 9g lighter than a standard 3i head weight. These are going to need some tape haha - and high-density tape at that!

My buddy the Miura dealer ( now retired) turned me on to the fact about Mizuo heads being light especially the 30 series. I rebuilt my 68s going from a S-400 to a R-300 And boy are they light. Who ever put the S-400s in them had put a bunch of hosel weight in to begin with. When I got them I could somewhat hit them but hooked the snot out of them especially the short irons. First time I hit them I told my buddy Bear someone has tip weighted the heck out of them. I remember the first one I pulled down when I heated it up the lead ran out like a river. I have messed with a couple of them since reshafting but have not done a full run yet. Kida put the project on the back burner so to speak

• 1 month later...

I've done s300s in vintage Hogan blades and they played beautifully. How about vintage shafts in modern clubs though??

Tonight I tip trimmed a 50 year old wedge shaft from a Mac 11 iron so it would fit into a modern-ish blade putter with a .370 bore. I needed a heavier shaft and I think this will do perfectly. The Mac was free and I got the putter head for $8. I also have an s300 in my modern, Wishon 3 wood that I pulled from an old persimmon 3 wood. The s300 in my modern driver came from an old metal headed driver I got at Goodwill for a couple bucks. I think it performs just as well as the $300 shafts they try to sell nowadays. I just mix and match things I have around and it often works amazingly well. You just need to know what you like and what specs you're shooting for. Doing it by feel and trial and error is a great way to learn too IMO.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

I haven't seen that exact model. I'd guess they're pinned, the Spaldings I have are.

If you want to save the shafts, you'll have to punch the pins out before extraction. If you don't care to save them, I know some folks cut the shafts and just drill the pins out. I guess you can also drill them out with a really long bit and save the shafts that way. I have no experience with the drilling method.

SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Gotcha, I unfortunately have no idea. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable can help. You can always heat the hosel, give it a pull, and see what happens!

SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

Neither does Wilson. Well played on my ytpo. I hate ytping on tablets and phones....

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X