2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Shaft Fitting: Worth It or Not?

JB_007

I recently was able to snag a new set of T100 irons off ebay to replace my 714 AP2s. I was able to get these almost below 50% off MSRP, which I thought was a great deal and jumped at the opportunity.

My question is, is it worth going to get a shaft fitting? They currently have DG S300, which was what was in my 714AP2 ( I was not fit for these either), but I'm curious how much the shaft may make a difference? I'm sorry if this has be covered before, I'm just recently was bit by the equipment bug and am trying to learn all that I can.

Given that I saved a good junk of the cost of the clubs, I'd be willing to spend a little to get the right shaft, if it is actually going to make a difference, I just wanted to check here before I spent the $100 for the shaft fitting.

I definitely think its worth it with the way the technology has progressed the last 5-10 years. $100 seems kinda steep but I feel like most places will credit that back or at least a portion of it if you make a purchase through them.

OG SIM - 9*

SIM Max - 15*

Stealth UDI - 20*

Ping i59 - 4-PW

Callaway Jaws MD 5 - 50*, 55*, 60*

Special Select Squareback - 35"

100% worth it. More important than the head IMO.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

@juststeve I honestly am not sure if they play well or wrong for me personally. I've never hit another iron shaft before. The 714 were the first and only iron set I've had since I've started playing. I've seen a handicap drop of 21 to 10 in the past year or so, but mostly due to practice in other areas, my irons have always been decent for me.

Piece of mind may be worth it just so you do not have that little thought in the back of your mind about it. I have done my own tinkering for many years now. I have never had any lessons and all the club building I have done was thru this site. Had the chance to see a professional fitter last year. Spent over 2 hours going over every club in the bag & was charged only $65. Only recommendations was what kind of graphite shafts to put in my irons if I want to switch & to play with the bounce on my 58 wedge.

To me, that was the most worthwhile $65 I have spent on golf in a long time. To find out I was correct in all my work & the way I had gone about it was just about priceless for me. It is kind of strange to not have that little voice in the back of my head anymore with any questions about my equipment & the fine tuning I have done. My only thing I would say is to make sure the fitter knows what they are doing.

2ndCut16,

The DG S300 shafts are popular, and large number of golfers use them and do well with them. Further, if you are between 5-foot-9 and 6-foot-1, chances are you have a good fit with off the rack clubs, which are made for that height range.

That said, are you getting what you need from your irons? Are you to the point where you are pursuing a very precise range dispersion, shot height and specific spin targets? Or, are you happy if you get a good number of greens-in-regulation each round?

You might get a fitting just to put your mind at rest. But unless there's some shaft that gives you a big performance boost, as juststeve has said, you might want to stay with the S300. What the fitting would do is help you realize your shaft band. This is my personal term for a group of shafts with similar characteristics that seem to give you good numbers across multiple fittings / demo day tests.

In the past, my shaft band for irons has been KBS Tour 90, NS Pro 8950 or 950, and Recoil 95. Finding your shaft band now could give you clues for three years down the road when you decide to retool.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

With the rise of independent fitters, I don't think that is the case any more. Low profit margins on equipment comparatively from 10-15 years ago has certainly made it difficult to credit back value for a fitting. None of my local fitters do it, custom studio or big box. They all require that payment, whether you purchase or not. That 12% margin over the course of a year (assuming 25% margin on equipment and a retail price of $500 + $100 fit fee) can be the make or break for a lot of places that are smaller operation. Especially this year.

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Never worry about paying for something that is worth the price to YOU! If your goal is to be the best golfer you can be, then your priorities are far different from the average weekend golfer. Fitting is typically expensive, but the information you get can be well worth the cost. As ChipNRun mentioned. Most of us have a swing that probably won't change much over the next few years. Knowing what shaft characteristics fit you allows you to often times choose a set of ideal clubs right off the rack! Knowledge of your equipment will help you make the most of your equipment buying dollars and avoid falling prey to the marketing that is so prevalent today.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

@ChipNRun I appreciate your insight. To answer your question, I guess I'm not sure if I'm getting everything I need from my irons, as I'm still pretty new to the sport( this is my 2nd serious season of golf). The only reason I really asked was a friend said swing speed plays a roll in which shaft you should play, and given he is still fairly new, I figured I should ask a group with a bit more knowledge. I'm 5'10 and have a SS with a 7 iron of 95mph ( on avg) if that helps.
While I've been able to cut down my handicap and strokes and play well, I've never really thought about ball flight, spin or dispersion and if this is holding me back or not.

What are you going to do if you go for a fitting and find out there's a shaft that's quite a bit better than the S300's currently in your T100's? Probably the shafts are fine, but if not are you going to reshaft? If the answer is no then I wouldn't even spend the money on a fitting. And if you do reshaft then you're going to lose a fairly large % of what you saved. Would have made more sense to do the fitting first and then look for a set that has your preferred shaft.

• Like 1

If I do decide to do the fitting and something else is better, I will re-shaft.

The fitter I'm using gave me a quote, that as long as I'm not in an exotic iron shaft, it will likely be $200-250 to re-shaft ( a family friend) which will still have me around 25-30% off retail pricing or any other online store I could find.

Weight can be a big issue on iron shafts as far as helping you hit the center more often. There is a huge difference with just a few grams here or there. Shaft weight, I feel, is much more important that shaft flex as far as hitting the center of the face.

Design of the shaft and flex have a big effect on dispersion and in some cases it can effect spin quite a bit as well too.

Now this is based on my fittings and fittings that some of my friends and playing partners have gone through. It may not hold true for everyone, but it seems to hold true for a majority.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

You bought a good set of irons, definitely get fit. My experience tells me to pick a fitter you’ll be comfortable with.

Don’t be intimidated, a fitters job is to fit you. I’ve been fit many times over the years and like ChipnRun said once you find your “shaft band”

you’ll pretty much be in that category for a long time. (Unless something drastic changes) Stop thinking about it....DOOO IT!!

@2ndCut16 notes:"I figured I should ask a group with a bit more knowledge. I'm 5'10 and have a SS with a 7 iron of 95 mph ( on avg) if that helps. While I've been able to cut down my handicap and strokes and play well, I've never really thought about ball flight, spin or dispersion and if this is holding me back or not."
First of all, congratulations! Your 7i swing speed is higher than mine for a driver. It appears you are quite capable of handling the S300 shafts.Now, a free warning: Focus on the end result of your iron shots. Do you have a good number of greens in regulation? Do your iron shots hold the green, or do they run over the green, or back off the green because of excess backspin? If your GIR are good and the shots hold, that's what you really want. Avoid paralysis by analysis.
IF you get an after-the-fact fitting, what general patterns do you see? Remember, lots of things influence how your iron shots - and other shots - fly through the air. Spin tweaks can be made by switching balls rather than getting a $500 reshaft.
Sometimes, a change in your stance/set-up can improve the shots. Here, a $60 lesson could yield more benefit than a $500 reshaft.Closing: it's good to be aware of the details of your ball flight, but don't get so obsessed with the minutae that it messes up your game. Remember, golf is supposed to be fun...

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

If you like the weight of your Dynamic Gold S300 shafts (are they standard or lighter weight versions?) You might want to check out a Youtube video by TXG where they compare multiple tour weight shafts.

Basically between all the tour weight competitors with their supposed ball flight differences, they were all virtually identical in performance. +/- 1 yard in peak height and carry distance if I recall correctly.

If you want to change to graphite or go with something lighter I'm sure a shaft fit will be beneficial.

That’s interesting... I’ll have to check it out...@2ndCut16 if it’s a family friend, take the clubs, get on a launch monitor and see what they say... buy them lunch or pay them for the time if they tell you you are good.
i have a similar swing speed and managed to play regular shafts for half my life... I got fit for s300s as x100s were increasing my spin... currently gaming project x 6.0s as I got them cheap... have a five iron with an s400 on its way... basically, I’m an idiot.
getting fit gives you information, but won’t fix your swing. I think weight is more important than anything else, or at least it is for me.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I wanted a kegerator for fathers day. But after covid has put some lbs back on, and the extra work involved, I've decided on a new father's day gift and pretty sure I'm going to get a fitting.

Recently a new club champion opened up and online reviews are great. I used to tinker alot more but as I aged and the Navy got in my way, I've slowed down. Way down. I have 2 bags pretty similarly setup but that's all built off trial and error. It would be nice to spend time with a legit fitter and more importantly trackman, and see what type of shaft does what.

Plus... I cannot hit my driver. So if they can help that, it'll be worth it for me.

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB