Open So Cal Courses

flushem

Will play at Oak Quarry tomorrow. Green and rough condition?

UPDATE: overall, Oak Quarry is in good condition. No more thick rough and raised hole cups. However, pace of play was horrible. We ended up teeing off 20 min behind schedule and waited every single hole in front due to notorious double-booking. Finished in 5.5 hours. Pretty bad for $100 green fee. I won't go there for long time.

Anyone play Rams Hill before? I made the trek yesterday. My thoughts really quick:

The drive was brutal. It took us about 2:20 with absolutely no traffic. About 60 miles is through back country hilly roads. I almost made myself car sick driving it.Staff is friendlyRange is very nice with Pro-V1 practice balls.Pace of play was 4 hrs. Didn't wait on any of the holesCourse condition were ok. For $110, I thought they could be better. Greens were nice, but very firm. A lot of brown/burnt areas on the fairway.Demanding par 3 and 4's. We played from the golds and most of the par 4's were well over 400 yds. The longest played to 470. Overall, I was glad to say I played it once, but would rather go play some of the courses in Palms Springs instead at a fraction of the price and much closer. I think I was expecting to be blown away by the course and I wasnt.

• Like 1

caught it at the very tail end of the season unfortunately, december-march it is amazing. Youre right the drive definitely isnt great but if it were any closer to the coast and it would be way double the price. its a bummer borrego springs resort ddint open this season. i think its fun and well conditioned. makes for a good little stay and play weekend getting rounds at both.

Would love to know where in so cal youre getting similar/better conditions for $100 cause i haven't seen it but would jump at a chance to play there

I played there 2 weeks ago and conditions were great. No brown spots in the fairways at all. The greens were a bit firm, but rolled nice. I think you're just getting on at the end of the season as it's starting to get really hot out there. As for what you're expecting, remember that it's considered a San Diego course, not a Palm Springs/Coachella course. So most comparisons of it are going to be compared to SD courses like Maderas, Torrey, and such which is why it's always so highly rated. I think when you compare it to Coachella Valley and what you can play there it's gonna fall down the list quite a bit.

For anything looking for something cheaper, San Clemente Muni put the flags back in over the weekend so the course is essentially 'back to normal' (no tee markers, strangely, but you just line up where the permanent tee plates are). Range is closed, but carts are available for single riders.

You book through the San Clemente city website and they are only doing one tee time every 15 minutes (and sticking strictly to that) so pace of play is excellent.

Fairways are a bit dry in spots but the greens are in beautiful shape.

It is late in the season for Rams Hill, closing for summer in 2 weeks, so no surprise that conditions were less than stellar. I do prefer RH to anything public accessible in Palm Springs, but no doubt Palm Springs has some great courses.

I love that drive though! It's not easy, but so many changes in the land between the coast and Borrego. It is funny to leave San Clemente at 5 am and 60 degrees, to get up in the mountains where it is 30 degrees an hour later, only to get to Rams Hill and 75* an hour after that.

I love Rams Hill. Great course in almost always fine, exceptional conditions. There are a couple strikes, however.

1. The wind. It can sometimes blow and howl out there, it takes all the fun away.

2. The drive. Either way you go, by the Salton Sea or from the 15 side, the drive sucks.

Love the course, but would I drive all the way out there and tee it up again? He** no. I’d rather turn down a private jet to North Bend Airport to play Bandon and fly into Portland and drive 4+ hours to Bandon.

flushem, they close for the summer in 10 days. I believe Sunday June 7 is their last day open. But to answer your question yes, I would want to play in the morning to minimize the chances of wind although as you know, the wind in the greater Coachella valley and Borrego can surprisingly come up even in the mornings and can last all day. Although those days are quite the exception and tbh, it doesn’t really happen all that much.

• Like 1

Oak Creek updated their FB page with a post confirming they're opening up on Friday, but nothing detailed about what specifically the course will be doing (eg accommodating walkers, spacing tee times out, single rider carts, etc).

Titleist TSR3 10* Tensei 1k Black 7x 44.5"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* Tensei 1k Black 7x 42.5"

Cobra F6 Baffler 19.5* Diamana Blueboard 8x 41.25"

Titleist U505 4i Tensei 1k Black 8x

Titleist T100 5i-9i Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 46F/50F/54F/60M Project x 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

As the situation surrounding COVID-19 continues to evolve, we are following guidance from Federal, State and Local authorities. The safety of our guests and associates remains our highest priority, and we’ve thoroughly reviewed our plans to serve you in a safe, healthy, and efficient manner. We would like to highlight just a few of these steps:

Reservations are required and must be booked by phone, with the names of all players provided, at least 24 hours in advance.Reduced capacities will be implemented at golf facilities. To avoid congestion, please do not arrive at the course more than 15 minutes prior to your tee time. Social distancing practices will be observed, including one person per golf cart, unless both are members of the same household. Walking only tee times will be available for a reduced rate per round An enhanced schedule of servicing, sanitizing, and cleaning all public areas includes common touchpoints such as door frames, doorknobs, handles, and handrails. Multiple touch-free hand sanitizer dispensers have been placed around public spaces and restrooms. For your safety, associates will not touch golfers’ bags or clubs.The Practice Facility remains temporarily closed, but will hopefully reopen on June 19th. Oak Creek Grille, beverage cart service, Golf Shop rentals, and retail purchases are not available at this time.Complimentary bottles of water will be offered along with a limited selection of pre-packaged food and beverage items available for purchase in the Golf Shop. Payment cards only, please. No cash transactions will be accepted.‌

As we gradually reopen our course and golf amenities, our website will continue to be the best information source for schedule updates and hours of operation. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

thanks for info! was this an email you received? i didn't see any additional information on their website, i'm curious about the walking only rates though i'll probably give them a call next time i'm considering playing a round.

Titleist TSR3 10* Tensei 1k Black 7x 44.5"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* Tensei 1k Black 7x 42.5"

Cobra F6 Baffler 19.5* Diamana Blueboard 8x 41.25"

Titleist U505 4i Tensei 1k Black 8x

Titleist T100 5i-9i Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 46F/50F/54F/60M Project x 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

Yeah, received an email from them a couple days before they opened. Non member walking rates are M-Th $95 and Fri-Sun $135.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Played Hacienda GC this week...my first round since early December and it showed...it's like I forgot how to play golf!

Course was in excellent condition, greens very smooth and perfect speed. Took us 3:30 to play as a twosome, riding solo carts.

They have some excellent membership deals, that also include a bunch of other courses in the SoCal region...it's not ideal if you live on the Westside of LA, but unless you have 200K to drop on initiation at one of the swanky clubs, it's a nice option if you don't mind driving.

I realize this is a threadjack (although to what degree a 14 page thread can be jacked is debatable) but since I have all the LA golfers here I wanted to ask:

When this is all over I'll likely be coming to LA for a 3-5 day trip to visit my sister. She's only been there a year so I haven't been there yet on this kind of trip yet. Anyway I want to golf, naturally, and I am wondering what courses I should play. I'm going to be near UCLA (But no Bel Air or Riviera connections... no privates at all) and I'm thinking of the following: Rustic Canyon, Oak Quarry, and... one more course possibly. I will have a car and no fixed itinerary, so beating traffic should be doable at least in one direction.

Where else would you play?